Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Voucher Thread €10 off €50 spend [Back March 2016]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Did a big shop last week split between Aldi and lidl for best effect.
    Was in lidl yesterday getting my turkey and some more bits.
    Will hit tesco for wine to take advantage of the wine offer I now know about. Some nice wines on the list.

Have to agree,any time I shop in tesco/, Dunne's its a few bags while in the German stores its a fully trolley for the same spend.

That's probably because your buying nothing but wine there.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Was feeling generous and gave my parents my lidl voucher. Regretting it now as things get tighter in the run up to Christmas. If anyone has one that they aren't going to use I'd love one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was feeling generous and gave my parents my lidl voucher. Regretting it now as things get tighter in the run up to Christmas. If anyone has one that they aren't going to use I'd love one

Might be too late now as the lidl voucher is only valid until 27th, unlikely if someone posted it today it would make it to you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Would it be difficult to change a little bit of code that disallows the use of that scanned discount code thingy they have when the trolley total would have been less than the voucher conditions without the purchase of gift cards?

Tesco take these vouchers for a reason, firstly this voucher purchasing is carried out by a small minority, secondly, not many shoppers have the discipline some of us have in keeping our trolley total to the 50 or 100 etc, if they can't make money on a shop that size, even allowing for vouchers, they're doing something wrong.

They'd obviously prefer not to have to accept them, but they can also see the benefits, I certainly shift a lot of purchases to tesco when it's voucher season.

I think you under estimate exactly how many people are using the coupons for vouchers... The power of boards is such that a lot of people troll them, tesco monitor them too, and if several people are doing it, myself included... As I was spending €50 in Argos anyway this week, There are a lot more people doing it!

Secondly, I shop with a pre made list priced from tesco website, use a calculator and sometimes end up adding a pack of dog treats to go over the amount allotted, again, you under estimate exactly how many people use them to the specific amount. Some people here use them specifically for alcohol faders to, again here you will read they barely spend the limit adding small purchases to make up the amount.

Obviously not everyone has your discipline :D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Might be too late now as the lidl voucher is only valid until 27th, unlikely if someone posted it today it would make it to you :(

Good point. Aldi would do too. Do all my shops in the discounters. They only had lidl in their town so gave them that. Should have just got two papers to be safe! First time having 8 extra people over for Christmas so bills a decent bit higher than usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Where are you? Someone mite be generous and meet u.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Aldi voucher is dated to the 31st if I recall correctly, Lidl to the 27th.
    I'm not going to use the Aldi voucher...will do well to even spend the Lidl voucher!

So if anyone wants the Aldi voucher and they're in Dublin City Centre tomorrow morning/lunch time(Nth side) or around D6W area this eve/tomorrow afternoon, I can pass it on to them if they are close by and call to collect.
    PM me

Where are you? Someone mite be generous and meet u.

Good point I'm in North Kildare. Bit far from me unfortunately Joefuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

You can go down the Independent news head office on Talbot St and buy Sundays papers for the voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Unfortunately I ain't got one otherwise I'd post it to you but come on fellow boardsies in the spirit of the season lets get mirrorwall14 a voucher for LIDL or ALDI ... Come onnnn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

These coupons are hurting Tesco far more than you imagine. They are taking them in an effort to maintain market share- however, they are already in second place- and at risk of loosing their market point to current second place (Dunnes) (Musgraves are in first place).

The German multiples are both on around 8%- and growing.

Whoever is at the wheel in Tesco Ireland then should be let go if these vouchers are impacting on their business so hard and they can't see the damage they are causing. These vouchers are not new, they are around for well over a year and of the same values, they should either refuse to accept vouchers of a certain value or else follow Dunnes Stores and give €10 off €50 spends or similar through their loyalty card.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭clairek6

Dont forget you can buy credit in lidl now too to make up your €100. Vodafone also giving €10 extra with a €30 top up

Ah in fairness there's probably others in need, this is mainly my own bad budgeting, just hadn't quite anticipated the cost increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    abuse?

Since I was in Dublin today, stopped off on the way in Tesco Naas, asked to speak to the manager on duty, asked if I could buy the Argos vouchers with the Aldi coupon, and she said there was no problem and no word from head office not to take them against vouchers. While I waited for the manager, less than 3 minutes, 3 people came up and bought vouchers with the aldi and Lidl vouchers at customer service.

I asked, and was given permission,

But it turned out they did not have the fire logs, so in the end I got €50 Argos voucher and €50 tesco voucher for €80.

Well I went to same Customer Service desk today at beginning of my shop to buy a Tesco Gift Card (then I could do my shop without tallying everything) but the girl at the checkout desk refused and said that competitor voucher CANNOT be used against any Gift Cards.

BTW...
    At the end of my shop, checking my receipt and I was overcharged on a toy. Customer Service desk was closed (11pm) so another staff member brought me to someone authorised to deal with refunds.
    STAFF: "Right, I'll refund the €20 back to you"
    ME: "Don't I get double the difference back?'
    STAFF: "No. We're not doing that during the Christmas Season"
    ME: "But it's on your Customer Service Sign"
    STAFF: "Hmmm, I'll give it to you then".

Something to bear in mind if you're overcharged....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

soc wrote: »
    and said that competitor voucher CANNOT be used against any Gift Cards.

As the T&Cs say.

This is becoming normal. Think the voucher losses are pushing them to be stingy on double the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    This is becoming normal. Think the voucher losses are pushing them to be stingy on double the difference.
    This again sounds like local managers instructing staff to go against head office wishes/policies. They probably get a rap on the knuckles for pricing mistakes, and probably get the loss taken out of their sales figures. Just like I reckoned they are flogging gift vouchers to boost their figures.

Just as I know salesmen who have no real interest in the companies profits, just their own commissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I think you under estimate exactly how many people are using the coupons for vouchers... The power of boards is such that a lot of people troll them, tesco monitor them too, and if several people are doing it, myself included... As I was spending €50 in Argos anyway this week, There are a lot more people doing it!

Secondly, I shop with a pre made list priced from tesco website, use a calculator and sometimes end up adding a pack of dog treats to go over the amount allotted, again, you under estimate exactly how many people use them to the specific amount. Some people here use them specifically for alcohol faders to, again here you will read they barely spend the limit adding small purchases to make up the amount.

Obviously not everyone has your discipline :D

Yeah, margins are tight in the supermarket trade, but I'm surprised that these are hitting to the effect mentioned in conductor's post. When it's not voucher season, I only use self checkout, but during voucher season, I only use checkouts, I'm constantly amazed by the shoppers in front of me, they always spend multiples of my (just over €50) spend and I have never seen anyone produce a voucher. I have on occasion given vouchers to shoppers ahead of me in the queue (i tend to have a few in my wallet), the recipients firstly are apprehensive, then try and offer me the money, before finally accepting my protestations that i wouldn't be using them anyway (I could probably find a way, but sometimes, it's just easier to give them to someone without having to worry about whether the cashier will accept them for tesco gift cards). My point is, in the larger tesco customer shop of say €150, the customer has a large trolley of goods, to which I would be shocked if the 8% margin applied, these are big trolleys and are the norm when going through cashier tills. If tesco ireland actually say that 8% is the number, then, fair enough, I stand corrected, but have they actually specified that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Well I went to same Customer Service desk today at beginning of my shop to buy a Tesco Gift Card (then I could do my shop without tallying everything) but the girl at the checkout desk refused and said that competitor voucher CANNOT be used against any Gift Cards.

BTW...
    At the end of my shop, checking my receipt and I was overcharged on a toy. Customer Service desk was closed (11pm) so another staff member brought me to someone authorised to deal with refunds.
    STAFF: "Right, I'll refund the €20 back to you"
    ME: "Don't I get double the difference back?'
    STAFF: "No. We're not doing that during the Christmas Season"

Something to bear in mind if you're overcharged....
    nonsense, of course it should have been double the difference.
    Although, in fairness, I was once overcharged by approximately €25 on an (extremely good) piece of carvery rib roast beef and the manager (who I had dealt with on numerous other similar queries over the past while) asked me nicely "please don't ask for double the difference", I didn't bother, but he knew and I knew that their policy was applicable, if I had wanted to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    nonsense, of course it should have been double the difference.
    Although, in fairness, I was once overcharged by approximately €25 on an (extremely good) piece of carvery rib roast beef and the manager (who I had dealt with on numerous other similar queries over the past while) asked me nicely "please don't ask for double the difference", I didn't bother, but he knew and I knew that their policy was applicable, if I had wanted to enforce it.

I was overcharged on 2 items in my shop yesterday, went back today and was there for an absolute age trying to get it sorted, including having to walk a manager over to the aisles in question to show him the correct price before getting a refund. I did get double the difference automatically. I'll be paying close attention to the receipt in future, I was just lucky to spot those 2 items as we'd commented on the price while shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My new years wish is that every supermarket should only accept their own vouchers and gift cards and refuse point blank to accept their competitors vouchers.

Personally I feel its a nice touch by Aldi (and Lidl) to offer their customers a discount now and again but instead of availing of the discounts its sad to see people running off to other stores with them and its equally sad to see those other stores accept those vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭tmh106

muffler wrote: »
    My new years wish is that every supermarket should only accept their own vouchers and gift cards and refuse point blank to accept their competitors vouchers.

Personally I feel its a nice touch by Aldi (and Lidl) to offer their customers a discount now and again but instead of availing of the discounts its sad to see people running off to other stores with them and its equally sad to see those other stores accept those vouchers.

It's business, pure and simple. No need to feel sad about it. Aldi/Lidl I'm sure do this because they believe it will help their bottom line - and I'm very confident that they are aware that they will be accepted by other retailers. Tesco accept them because they believe it will help their bottom line. Aldi/Lidl/Tesco may or may not be right in their business assumptions on the use of vouchers, but whether they are or are not it's hardly a reason to feel sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why so sad, caller?
    It's called competitive practice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tmh106 wrote: »
    It's business, pure and simple. No need to feel sad about it. Aldi/Lidl I'm sure do this because they believe it will help their bottom line - and I'm very confident that they are aware that they will be accepted by other retailers. Tesco accept them because they believe it will help their bottom line. Aldi/Lidl/Tesco may or may not be right in their business assumptions on the use of vouchers, but whether they are or are not it's hardly a reason to feel sad.

It doesn't help their bottom line- it helps them maintain market share. Its a loss leader- to get people in the door (remember the bean war for example). Tesco are terrified if they don't accept that their competitor's coupons- that they will hemorrhage customers (very probably a legitimate concern).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Aldi/Lidl are gaining market share, Tesco are losing it. It makes sense for Tesco to accept their vouchers to stop customers going to competition. Those vouchers are not given out of charity but because Christmas is the most profitable time for supermarkets and they know people will spend more in shop. As far as I know Ireland as region is fairly profitable for supermarket chains so no need to feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I don't find it sad. I'm happy out with it, another few euro into my savings from it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I saw a sign in Tesco today which said they will not be accepting competitors vouchers from January 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Skid X wrote: »
    I saw a sign in Tesco today which said they will not be accepting competitors vouchers from January 10th.
    t

it couldn't keep going in fairness financially for them. last feb I think they did double points on your shopping on a Friday manybe they might do that again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭RayCon

.... its sad to see people running off to other stores with them and its equally sad to see those other stores accept those vouchers.

The only store that accepts competitors vouchers is Tesco so your post actually sounds like you feel sorry for them .... a giant corporation ?? .... it's that exact type of blind brand loyalty that allowed them for years to rip of Irish consumers and call us "Treasure Ireland" - they laughed at us.

I'm delighted the German discounters came along and shook them up ... compete or die - they had it cosy for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Skid X wrote: »

Yes someone on this thread or the LIDL one mentioned it was going to happen soon alright. I would say the "below cost" selling of alcohol when combined with the vouchers to purchase them hammered profits. It was great fun while it lasted, I certainly enjoyed myself :D

I suppose Tesco need to do a revamp of their loyalty scheme, they should follow Dunnes in doing the €10 off €50 spends when you spend so much a shop etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

they should follow Dunnes in doing the €10 off €50 spends when you spend so much a shop etc.

They must be doing that all last year, its a great way to keep customers but its just a cod.

If one was doing a weekly shop, before you get down to the end of aisle 1 in lidl/aldi you'll already have saved that €10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement