Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Trig1 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how much the entry will be for the full distance race
    I'd guess €400

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oranmore. Imagine that! Now if only there was a triathlon shop in the area.....

:)

Yiz are all welcome for guided tours of the routes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Trig1 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how much the entry will be for the full distance race

Guts of a monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Just looked at Entry for challenge weymouth in England and its £380 sterling so I guess it will be nearly 500 euro to enter:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banner_tri

I competed in Weymouth last year, the race entry started at 320 sterling and gradually increased up to 380 the closer it got to the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

If only I could run!!! I can do the swim and should be ok to do the cycle, no way in hell I can ran a half a marathon, never mind a full..hopefully it will not be a once off and I can sort the running!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    If only I could run!!! I can do the swim and should be ok to do the cycle, no way in hell I can ran a half a marathon, never mind a full..hopefully it will not be a once off and I can sort the running!!!

You have 12 months to train. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

ToTriOrNot wrote: »

Best put on the shoes and get out the door so.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Kander wrote: »
    Best put on the shoes and get out the door so.
    Ceepo wrote: »
    You have 12 months to train. Lol

Suspected Plantar Fasciitis prevent me from doing it..no way I would be comfortable trying to up my mileage in such a short time...but hey, nothing it stopping the rest of the people. I'll stick to Sprint and Olympic once I am back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

€355, comparing to other full Ironman or Full Challenge races we are not being ripped off. Which is always nice

• Advertisement

Any details on the organisers?
    The brand name is solid but as we know if not backed up with solid organisers it will be a total shambles. "da west" does not have pedigree in middle distance and long distance events.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

The Galway Ironman 70.3 2012 was very well run. They'd learnt a lot from 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

tunney wrote: »
    Any details on the organisers?
    The brand name is solid but as we know if not backed up with solid organisers it will be a total shambles. "da west" does not have pedigree in middle distance and long distance events.

TriAthlone guy as far as I know, Liam Heavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If only i would not get dizzy from getting out of a bath let alone a 3.8k ow swim i would give this a bash.

Should be a very popular event, have found the Challenge races very well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks like a variety of races. Do Challenge events normally have Olymic, half etc?

CHALLENGEGALWAY is being established as a festival of triathlon, with a series of events running over Saturday and Sunday. Spreading out of these events will allow a wide range of participants to take part: from first timers, to the professional long-distance triathletes. For 2016, the shorter distance events will take place on the Saturday; with the landmark Long Distance event on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I'm looking forward to seeing the cycle route. Talk of it being released today. If so that is impressive considering Dublin took so long to release theirs.

I'm excited about it. If I decide to go ahead it would be my 1st Ironman distance race. After doing a half distance with the Challenge brand i was very impressed with the way things were run. I feel they will do everything they can and use their experience to make it a very well run event. With shorter races on the Saturday it could be one of the biggest sporting events of the year in Ireland. Something for everyone.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Looks like a variety of races. Do Challenge events normally have Olymic, half etc?

CHALLENGEGALWAY is being established as a festival of triathlon, with a series of events running over Saturday and Sunday. Spreading out of these events will allow a wide range of participants to take part: from first timers, to the professional long-distance triathletes. For 2016, the shorter distance events will take place on the Saturday; with the landmark Long Distance event on the Sunday.

Emmm multiple race distances. Cause we know how well that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Depending on bike route could be tempted, but I always have issues justifying the cost of the entry to these races when I can go to Kerry to do an IM for a lot less (albeit without all the bells and whistles).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Routes were announced yesterday at the launch in Galway.

https://twitter.com/EugeneFeely/status/607937000243634176

Hearing this morning who RD is I would expect there will be a host of Junior events being organised too.

It is Challenge Family :)

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    TriAthlone guy as far as I know, Liam Heavin

Company is registered in Athlone so that makes sense. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

tunney wrote: »
    Emmm multiple race distances. Cause we know how well that works.

On same day = total disaster usually.
    On different days, hopefully resounding success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

AKW wrote: »
    Hearing this morning who RD is I would expect there will be a host of Junior events being organised too.

It is Challenge Family :)
    BTH wrote: »
    Split Transitions, bike and run routes announced, full distance race (and a kids aquathon) on the Sunday with try-a-tri, sprint and olympic on the Saturday.

:p

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Wow Triathlone really going for the Limerick tri jugular with this. I hope Kilkee switch their race to the Triathlone weekend the following weekend..assuming Triathlone will still be going ahead.

BTH wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Insinuating I should have read the full thread?

Sorry boss. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Yes I'm a bit surprised it's on in June TBH. Competes directly with the European circuit and popular domestic races. My first thoughts are that September would be better - would allow people to decide in June/July having gained a bit of confidence training in half decent weather(?), could capture some who either do the European races or had to pull out. Weather wise not sure if early Sept is any better than late June. Just me rambling on though - there are pros and cons for almost any date :-)

Kilkee IMO will be fine as it's a great race. It might even be a blessing in disguise if demand dropped below the 800-1000 entries mark for it.

June is perfect! Can build it into a 24hr training session for the ITERA race in August :cool: #2birds1stone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »
    Can build it into a 24hr training session for the ITERA race in August

is that the level of fitness required for this AR stuff that your predicted time for an IM is 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

speedyj wrote: »
    Yes I'm a bit surprised it's on in June TBH. Competes directly with the European circuit and popular domestic races. My first thoughts are that September would be better - would allow people to decide in June/July having gained a bit of confidence training in half decent weather(?), could capture some who either do the European races or had to pull out. Weather wise not sure if early Sept is any better than late June. Just me rambling on though - there are pros and cons for almost any date :-)

Kilkee IMO will be fine as it's a great race. It might even be a blessing in disguise if demand dropped below the 800-1000 entries mark for it.

September in the West of Ireland..they tried that already.
    IMO IM Galway would have been more succesful if run in the period from june15-Aug 15th

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    is that the level of fitness required for this AR stuff that your predicted time for an IM is 24 hours?

Funny.

Ha

Ha

Ha.

Advertisement