Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Why else would they offer somebody a cheaper deal?

Maybe its the cynic in me but their recent dreadful TV subscriber stats would be one reason that springs to mind. Is this just being offered to BB only customers I wonder? next quarter their TV figures magically increase...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Per service? So €600 (BB, TV, Phone)? I don't think that's right.

Thats what I was told on the call so the quick tot up was "I'd be better off keeping it one way or the other". It's one way of guaranteeing your income.

Dave..M wrote: »
    Maybe its the cynic in me but their recent dreadful TV subscriber stats would be one reason that springs to mind. Is this just being offered to BB only customers I wonder? next quarter their TV figures magically increase...

very possibly the fact that my cost will go down to €35 pm and include tv helps. previous calls for me to add on TV have always been met with a "nah your alright" response. Oh and they have agreed to unbundle the BB from the TV so I will have the router and not have to have the BB through the horizon box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

They called me I didn't contact them. Got the contract confirmed by email and signature so very happy with that. Like I said I was going to just buy an android box as you can watch any show or event on it for free but I figured 35 for all three was pretty good so just took it. Includes free calls to mobiles also. I'd say they are getting their arses kicked from the droid boxes everyone I know seems top be dropping subs TV like a hot potato

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am reading the small print wrongly? I am reading it is a 18 month contract for new customers otherwise a 12 month contract applies :confused:
    I pay €37 for broadband and phone and split connection to get to ;)
    I am so sick of wires!! Could I get this deal but keep point in kitchen for broadband and then that horizon to in sitting room?

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I am reading the small print wrongly? I am reading it is a 18 month contract for new customers otherwise a 12 month contract applies :confused:
    I pay €37 for broadband and phone and split connection to get to ;)
    I am so sick of wires!! Could I get this deal but keep point in kitchen for broadband and then that horizon to in sitting room?

yes but I think you may have to pay for another point which is €60 (worth it in the long run I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

am i right in saying i will most likely need a new phone if i move to UPC from Eircom or Sky?

i seem to recall this being the reason why i didn't do it in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

UPC might need to install a new connection (cable point) in your house which the Horizon box will be connected to, you plug your phone into the Horizon box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Seve OB wrote: »
    am i right in saying i will most likely need a new phone if i move to UPC from Eircom or Sky?

i seem to recall this being the reason why i didn't do it in the past

I moved from Eircom and my Panasonic landline phone fits in into the UPC router using the same standard RJ45 (?) connection type cable.

The only thing obviously is that your calls are over the internet so some older phones may not work. UPC have a list on their website somewhere but its not a complete list - should be OK if your phone is modern enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

odckdo wrote: »
    I moved from Eircom and my Panasonic landline phone fits in into the UPC router using the same standard RJ45 (?) connection type cable.

The only thing obviously is that your calls are over the internet so some older phones may not work. UPC have a list on their website somewhere but its not a complete list - should be OK if your phone is modern enough.

actually, not obvious enough, i wasn't aware the calls are over the internet. i just thought the cable line replaced the phone line

now that you say it, i do remember looking at the list before and while my phone is new enough, only a few years old, but it wasn't on the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Kavrocks wrote: »
    You probably have to be out of contract to get it. It ties you in for another 12 months which means guaranteed income for UPC. Why else would they offer somebody a cheaper deal?

Im out of contract for over 6 months now.....disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I got onto their online chat feature - im paying 46 a month for bband and im outta contract at the moment! Was told im on the cheapest plan and thats it....
    I dont want tv with them as i had a nightmare with horizon before
    Any tips to get a better deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ring and ask for their loyalty department. Tell them you're looking at moving to another provider and if UPC will offer you a loyalty discount to stay.

I you have someone else in the house, your could always sign up as a new customer.
    I got onto their online chat feature - im paying 46 a month for bband and im outta contract at the moment! Was told im on the cheapest plan and thats it....
    I dont want tv with them as i had a nightmare with horizon before
    Any tips to get a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Has anyone that's been offered this been still in contract and had broadband only?

Seve OB wrote: »
    actually, not obvious enough, i wasn't aware the calls are over the internet. i just thought the cable line replaced the phone line

now that you say it, i do remember looking at the list before and while my phone is new enough, only a few years old, but it wasn't on the list

:) I only put in the 'obvious' bit in as I didn't want to sound like I was telling you something you may already know! When I changed to UPC earlier this year I never thought of that either. Also another one is that you'll have to leave your router on 24/7 - with Eircom I switched it off at night.

My ~5 year old Panasonic wasn't on the list either. The UPC list is poor and incomplete.

Once it is newish you might be OK. The engineer installing mine toke a quick look and said it would work no problem before I had a chance to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Any phone that has an external power supply will work like normal. Pretty much the only phones that don't work are the ones that have a million buttons and no external power.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 onetwofourthree

Ring and ask for their loyalty department. Tell them you're looking at moving to another provider and if UPC will offer you a loyalty discount to stay.

I you have someone else in the house, your could always sign up as a new customer.

Yep, agree with this. You'll probably get through to sales, but loyalty is who you want. Usually quite helpful (I've found) and keen to keep your business, if you are with them a while.

I was on that nice €35 50% off deal, which expired, so I was out of contract. Best I could get from them was 9 months at half-price, so it works out at c. €40 a month for the nine months, and then up to €80 for last three. This is for the high-speed line, basic TV package, and landline, including intl mobile calls, which I find handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

Loyalty Department Number Direct:

061-272190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yep, agree with this. You'll probably get through to sales, but loyalty is who you want. Usually quite helpful (I've found) and keen to keep your business, if you are with them a while.

I was on that nice €35 50% off deal, which expired, so I was out of contract. Best I could get from them was 9 months at half-price, so it works out at c. €40 a month for the nine months, and then up to €80 for last three. This is for the high-speed line, basic TV package, and landline, including intl mobile calls, which I find handy.

Thanks for sharing. I'm on that same deal, expiring in August - so very interesting to see options for renewal. Looks like you did a decent deal. Worth looking at Eircom's eVision options after the 9 months half price is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

odckdo wrote: »
    :) I only put in the 'obvious' bit in as I didn't want to sound like I was telling you something you may already know! When I changed to UPC earlier this year I never thought of that either. Also another one is that you'll have to leave your router on 24/7 - with Eircom I switched it off at night.

My ~5 year old Panasonic wasn't on the list either. The UPC list is poor and incomplete.

Once it is newish you might be OK. The engineer installing mine toke a quick look and said it would work no problem before I had a chance to test.

Why would you turn off your router at night? You could seriously shorten it life doing that. If you just want to turn off WiFi at night you can set to turn on/off in settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

brightkane wrote: »
    Has anyone that's been offered this been still in contract and had broadband only?

Me, they just installed it today too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Interesting to hear - up until recently the best the loyalty dept were offering was 6mths half price on 12 month deals (i previously had 50% off for 12 months) the had to start offering better deals given sky offering everything (incl movies and sport @ 50% off for 12 mths)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

rob316 wrote: »
    Me, they just installed it today too :)

Cheers rob. You were in the middle of a bb contract and then called you. Offered TV and bb for a lesser months fee then you were already paying?

What TV package did they give you?

bromley52 wrote: »
    Why would you turn off your router at night? You could seriously shorten it life doing that. If you just want to turn off WiFi at night you can set to turn on/off in settings.

It was something I did when I had Eircom. Habit more than anything else - at bedtime switch off PC, switch off router. Never had any problems with router.

Since I switched to UPC I have to leave it on all the time for the landline.

btw, I got the UPC deal last Feb: €25 first 4 months, then €45 after for 250Mb, landline, mobile, 400 international minutes + €50 voucher. Fantastic bargain, saved a fortune so far and a great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

OT: I know the Horizon box eats electricity. How about the modem only boxes? I just received whatever the latest UBEE modem is and would be interested to know how much power it uses. (on average, I understand it depends on use). Has anyone put a meter on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

got advised 4 months of 22.50 and then 8 months at 45 for 120 ulimited bb and phone.... didnt accept yet but worth it or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

got advised 4 months of 22.50 and then 8 months at 45 for 120 ulimited bb and phone.... didnt accept yet but worth it or not?

Im on 6months 22.50 and 6 months 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Push a little bit more; I just got that but at €20.74/month for the first 6 months, then €45/month. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

As an existing customer paying 55 I rang when I saw the 45 bb and unlimited phone deal, and got offered 4 months at 22.50 then 45 after. Just before it was due to go to 45 I got a call offering a deal for unlimited phone (including all mobiles and some countries) 240 broadband and Hoirizon Max TV with 22 HD channels at 35pm for 6 months, 90 after which I took. The horizon box is pretty good but not as good as Skys interface. One good feature is the ability to record 4 programs at the same time and watch another. As I had my BB router (Thomson) in a different room with custom setting I was able to keep that and an extra connection was run to the living room for the Horizon box (no charge). As previously stated any phone will do, the router or horizon box will look after converting the signal, and you can port your Eircom number if required. All-inall a good deal. In fairness to Sky they did their best to match but just could not do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

brightkane wrote: »

Yes.
    Was on the 60mb €40 per month broadband/phone package. They called today offering Horizon TV max, 120mb bb and the unlimited phone package for €25 for 12 months.

Strange they called me seeing I had 11 months of my 18 month contract still to go!

Advertisement