Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Deal

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

scamalert wrote: »
    speaking of option to terminate contract, upc is bought by VM is that not a new company that youd have to have contract with ?since your new bill would show VM and one has signed up with upc.Just speculating here guess legal section would know more but given recent changes and pricing coming down in general on BB and better options being offered think it would be safe option to have ability to leave without paying for breaking contract.
    As like other user really annoyed with provided router which is 1e trash bucket and one needs at least proper switch and router to get decent speeds across devices without draining router with single pc to reboot it every time you do downloads.not to mention spikes in speed drops.

Liberty Global(UPC) actually own Virgin Media.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FrostyJim wrote: »
    They have the clause, they wouldn't be that stupid.

Actually they don't and such clauses aren't generally enforceable.

Every time they have increased prices in the past, it has lead to a break in contract and the option for people to cancel early.

Usually when people threaten to cancel, they normally offer some sort of reduced cost deal to hold onto people, so such price increases are usually actually good news!
    speaking of option to terminate contract, upc is bought by VM is that not a new company that youd have to have contract with ?since your new bill would show VM and one has signed up with upc.

Actually it is the other way around, UPC took over Virgin!

UPC's parent company is called Liberty Global and they have owned UPC for the past 10 years. Liberty Global bought Virgin Media UK about 2 years ago and they are now merging the brand names.

Virgin Media Ireland (UPC) is still owned by Liberty Global today, just as it was for the past 10 years.
    As like other user really annoyed with provided router which is 1e trash bucket and one needs at least proper switch and router to get decent speeds across devices without draining router with single pc to reboot it every time you do downloads.not to mention spikes in speed drops.

They have a new router on trial and it is looking like a vast improvement.

802.11ac dual band, dual radio router, with very good wireless performance.

Also it looks like they will be able to push the download speeds up to at least 500Mb/s and maybe even as far as 1Gb/s with this new modem (due to triple the number of DOCSIS channels it supports versus the old modems).

So it looks like good things to come from them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mandamanda

don't even talk to me about that call centre, all I wanted to do is downgrade as my new horizon box will not work, over 4 hours on the phone the last few days , getting transferred to the " loyalty section " where I am cut off each time, then charges me 86.00 for a service that never worked once

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

bk wrote: »
    They have a new router on trial and it is looking like a vast improvement.

802.11ac dual band, dual radio router, with very good wireless performance.

Also it looks like they will be able to push the download speeds up to at least 500Mb/s and maybe even as far as 1Gb/s with this new modem (due to triple the number of DOCSIS channels it supports versus the old modems).

So it looks like good things to come from them soon.

HOw does one get this "trial"? It'll be about the only thing that could keep me with them to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

HOw does one get this "trial"? It'll be about the only thing that could keep me with them to be honest!

Me too. My download speed was under 30 a few evenings last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Any sign of them upgrading the Horizon box? The current one has a diabolical wifi signal. I live in a small flat and although it has 4/5 bars of signal in my bedroom it frequently drops and slows my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Any sign of them upgrading the Horizon box? The current one has a diabolical wifi signal. I live in a small flat and although it has 4/5 bars of signal in my bedroom it frequently drops and slows my connection.

Better off investing in a £35 router on Amazon. I've a TP-Link Wireless-N 300 one that I've been using the last few years. Will save ya a large number of headaches. Might pick one up cheap on this week's lightning deals.

Advertisement