Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2015 thread **Please use spoiler tags before midnight**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Vincenzo Nibali
    should be very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Ah Brian? you are suffering from the age old cycling fan's dilemma ...a rider is only as good as his last race :D

Having said that ...Contador won't go down (no pun intended) easily ...he will fight to the end..so a good show is in store

I guess all the big 4 have weaknesses and a clever team will know & exploit that

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Vincenzo Nibali
    Hard to say which sponsors value more, a stage win or an anonymous top ten. Given the sport is all about exposing the jersey the only value in an anonymous top ten must be pro tour points. Every years there's a guy in the top ten that you barely see in three weeks.

Dan would definitely be better off hunting stages, he usually has a bad day or two in a three week tour and ends up outside the top ten anyway.

I reckon the anonymous top 10 guy is quite valuable for sponsors, since he's likely to be on TV most days-making the top 10 means making the initial selection on most mountain stages (before being dropped by the contenders for victory). Nico Roche was always hanging about in the leading group in tours gone by when he was with Ag2R, so always lots of shots of that jersey, even if it was at the back of the front group.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nairo Quintana
    MPFG wrote: »
    Ah Brian? you are suffering from the age old cycling fan's dilemma ...a rider is only as good as his last race :D

Having said that ...Contador won't go down (no pun intended) easily ...he will fight to the end..so a good show is in store

I guess all the big 4 have weaknesses and a clever team will know & exploit that

I'm judging Bertie on the last 8 years!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm judging Bertie on the last 8 years!

OK...what I meant was I think Contador is tired based on the Giro and may not win ...... not based on his ability or desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Nairo Quintana
    Froome’s just been told he can’t live in his motor home. I mean that’s it for me, he’ll lose based on not being able to avail of this marginal gain…...:rolleyes:

YeahOK wrote: »
    Froome’s just been told he can’t live in his motor home. I mean that’s it for me, he’ll lose based on not being able to avail of this marginal gain…...:rolleyes:

Since he won in 2013 without a motor home and has never used a motor home in a Grand Tour ...hardly means he will lose not to have one now

No motor home versus having ridden a hard Giro are hardly on a par :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

pelevin wrote: »
    I know they've tried to change the make-up of the Points jersey this year to prevent it being a foregone conclusion for Sagan, especially boosting the points for stage winners. Given the incredible year Kristoff's had, & by contrast despite Tour of California, the disappointing year for Sagan, I'd have thought Kristoff could be in with a real shout of that, and much better than the bookies odds reflect. He's still nothing like the climber Sagan can be though so we'll see how that reflects.
    D9Male wrote: »
    Interesting. Problem is the profiles suit Sagan more than Kristoff, with so many uphill finishes. In fact, I think Valverde would be a bet if they bet each way on green. He'll surely be 33/1 or more and so few stages will mean Cav and Kittel are out of contention.

Looking at the rules again, I think you are right pelevin. I am wrong.

Let's just say there is a "top" sprinter who wins 3 of the Category 1 stages and finishes 2nd in two....assume other one goes to break.

They will get 210 points for that.

And let's say that Sagan gets two 3rd places, two 4th places and a 5th place in those stages.

Sagan will get 92 points for that.

Now let's look at the medium difficulty stages (Mur x 2, cobbles, Rodez, Mende and Gap. Even if Sagan was to get two wins, a second and a third from that, it doesn't net him a massive pile.

Sagan would only get 91 points for that.

So it is likely that Sagan will have to make up around 30 points on the strongest of his adversaries in the intermediates. And given that in this scenario the dominant sprinter may actually go for green, he will be losing points in a lot of scenarios, when Cavendish sprints the intermediate for (say) 5th and Sagan maybe gets 6th.

Of course, if Cav, Kittel and Kristoff share the wins or if Kittel dominates but doesn't go for green, Sagan will be the most likely winner of the jersey. But I would think that Kristoff or Cavendish will win it, not Sagan.

I hope Kittel can get some good form as then it can be a real battle between

Cav, Kittel, Sagan, Kristoff, Greipel & maybe Bouhanni

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I hope Kittel can get some good form as then it can be a real battle between

Cav, Kittel, Sagan, Kristoff, Greipel & maybe Bouhanni
    I never rated Bouhanni, but he's had some good results this season, beating a few of the others in head to head sprints. Will be interesting to see if he can contend with them in Le Tour or whether the big boys will peak again.

• Advertisement

Nairo Quintana
    Simon Yates 150/1 for a podium finish, worth a euro surely....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Is Dagenkolb not taking part? I'd surely throw him into the mix for a few stage wins.

Yeah, if Kittel doesn't line up for the race, he will be Giant Alpecin's number 1. Last I hear Kittel is not sure to line up, and if he does, he expects not to be on form for the first week.

Of course I forgot a key man in my line up above....Sam Bennett

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Alberto Contador
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    Is Dagenkolb not taking part? I'd surely throw him into the mix for a few stage wins.

He's my pick for the Green jersey. I'm a huge Kittel fan, but he hasn't shown any form at all this year. I reckon Dege will be the team leader, and he can mix it with the best. Having a spectacular year too, already won MSR and P-R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Of course I forgot a key man in my line up above....Sam Bennett

Absolutely, I wonder how his build up is coming along. I'd love to see Bennett in the Vuelta too. Some of guys he's beaten this year have cleaned up there in the past.

happytramp wrote: »
    Absolutely, I wonder how his build up is coming along. I'd love to see Bennett in the Vuelta too. Some of guys he's beaten this year have cleaned up there in the past.

Well he was sick there a few weeks ago...think he may have recovered ....if he can get a good positioning and an uphill finish....then I would favour him over everyone but maybe Sagan....but who knows maybe Sagan will be on team duties

Only trouble with Bennett is if he can stay the whole Tour but I suppose most sprints are in 1st 2 weeks anyway

Stage 6 could suit Bennett pretty well.

That said, I wouldn't back him in an uphill sprint against Kristoff, Valverde, Degenkolb, Gilbert or Sagan at even money.

Stage 6 could suit Bennett pretty well.

That said, I wouldn't back him in an uphill sprint against Kristoff, Valverde, Degenkolb, Gilbert or Sagan at even money.

Stage 6 is too hard.....stage 5 is a maybe ( meant upward drag to the line not a hill)

He will not be competing againt Valverde or Degenkolb......and Gilbert is not at the tour

Stage 6 is a Michael Matthews stage imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Thibaut Pinot
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    I never rated Bouhanni, but he's had some good results this season, beating a few of the others in head to head sprints.
    Really, when was this? I was under the impression his only wins were in the Dauphine when there really was no competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Really, when was this? I was under the impression his only wins were in the Dauphine when there really was no competition.

Well he had those two wins in his local club league but only because they let him off in the wrong group and scratch never caught them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Thibaut Pinot
    Looking at the rules again, I think you are right pelevin. I am wrong.

Let's just say there is a "top" sprinter who wins 3 of the Category 1 stages and finishes 2nd in two....assume other one goes to break.

They will get 210 points for that.

And let's say that Sagan gets two 3rd places, two 4th places and a 5th place in those stages.

Sagan will get 92 points for that.

Now let's look at the medium difficulty stages (Mur x 2, cobbles, Rodez, Mende and Gap. Even if Sagan was to get two wins, a second and a third from that, it doesn't net him a massive pile.

Sagan would only get 91 points for that.

So it is likely that Sagan will have to make up around 30 points on the strongest of his adversaries in the intermediates. And given that in this scenario the dominant sprinter may actually go for green, he will be losing points in a lot of scenarios, when Cavendish sprints the intermediate for (say) 5th and Sagan maybe gets 6th.

Of course, if Cav, Kittel and Kristoff share the wins or if Kittel dominates but doesn't go for green, Sagan will be the most likely winner of the jersey. But I would think that Kristoff or Cavendish will win it, not Sagan.

You've certainly looked more deeply into it than I have & it seems they really have made more significant efforts this time to balance things towards the other likely lads. Otoh Sagan seems to have really hit form of late, whereas up till lately obviously Kristoff was of a far higher level than Sagan. What I actually did myself on the betting front, & which I don't regret (yet) is bet on Kristoff for the win at 11/2 & Sagan the same amount at 5/4 as a safety net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You've certainly looked more deeply into it than I have & it seems they really have made more significant efforts this time to balance things towards the other likely lads. Otoh Sagan seems to have really hit form of late, whereas up till lately obviously Kristoff was of a far higher level than Sagan. What I actually did myself on the betting front, & which I don't regret (yet) is bet on Kristoff for the win at 11/2 & Sagan the same amount at 5/4 as a safety net.

Both of whom will be smashed by Cav and his Quick stepping lead out train!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Thibaut Pinot
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Both of whom will be smashed by Cav and his Quick stepping lead out train!

Could do. The logic of my hopeful bet, is banking though on Kristoff's sprinting at if not parity something close to it, whilst his hardman classics advantage proving telling. He does have 17 or 18 wins this season already, pretty incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I hope Sagan does win it if ASO really have changed the rules specificly so 'the fastest sprinter' rather than the most consistant finisher wins. Don't really follow the green jersey too closely. Does Sagan pick up a lot of points in the intermediate sprints? I think the should re-instate the red jersey.

The Polkadot jersey 'King of Mountain' (Ha!) is a bit of a joke. Last year was a bit of an exception. For example were Verenque or Jalabert ever anything like the best climbers. Losing several minutes on mountain top finishes as they consistantly did (from memory).

Would the white jersey be improved if you had to be a tour debutante?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Back to hating Sky so.

Not surprised Roche is out. I would say he averaged 500m on the front in the final Dauphiné climbs.

• Advertisement

Not surprised Roche is out. I would say he averaged 500m on the front in the final Dauphiné climbs.

You are so quick to jump on his grave...check your facts

And he had a poorish Dauphine but so did half the GT leaders ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement