Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    heard today (Hoping its not true) 250 interview 120 for panel. just what i heard dont shoot the messenger personally i dont think anyone knows yet.

I thought for public jobs you have to interview a certain number of candidates per job thought it was 4 -1. im not sure on that, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Fire.I.Am

heard today (Hoping its not true) 250 interview 120 for panel. just what i heard dont shoot the messenger personally i dont think anyone knows yet.

Supposing this is true... Could anyone with experience of past DFB/Garda/Public jobs competitions hazard a guess as to the number progressing from round 2 to round 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

Are the Call taker positions going to be filled from this competition also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

twinydavid wrote: »
    Are the Call taker positions going to be filled from this competition also?

Wouldn't imagine so as they are essentially seperate competitions and it would be wrong to assume people applied for both. It does however say you may be able to bring results achieved through to any other competition related to DFB.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

Can anyone on here give me a rough idea of the take home pay of a new recruit in DFB?? I can't find much information online.

• Advertisement

cathalmonk wrote: »
    Can anyone on here give me a rough idea of the take home pay of a new recruit in DFB?? I can't find much information online.

The wage scale for the position of Firefighter, Dublin Fire Brigade, is €429.60 - €477.34 - €564.40 - €616.90 - €669.65 - €722.04 - €738.76 - €781.86 (Max) per week
    €813.62 per week after 12 years
    €849.62 per week after 18 years
    In addition to the basic wage, payments are made in respect of night and weekend duties, Sunday and Public Holiday premiums as applicable

Taken from the Job information booklet. I take it it's 429.60 before tax (allowances are extra)

megabantz wrote: »
    The wage scale for the position of Firefighter, Dublin Fire Brigade, is €429.60 - €477.34 - €564.40 - €616.90 - €669.65 - €722.04 - €738.76 - €781.86 (Max) per week
    €813.62 per week after 12 years
    €849.62 per week after 18 years
    In addition to the basic wage, payments are made in respect of night and weekend duties, Sunday and Public Holiday premiums as applicable

Taken from the Job information booklet. I take it it's 429.60 before tax (allowances are extra)

The pay is fairly decent even from the start couldn't complain much about it.

twinydavid wrote: »
    The pay is fairly decent even from the start couldn't complain much about it.

Really? I was thinking the opposite. That only works out just over 22k before tax - allowances wont amount to a whole lot more to make it much better! that's piss poor for the job that it is! DAA offered their firefighters 33.5k I believe in year one.

I would be taking home around 15k less at least before tax. Still wouldn't turn it down for the world!

Really? I was thinking the opposite. That only works out just over 22k before tax - allowances wont amount to a whole lot more to make it much better! that's piss poor for the job that it is! DAA offered their firefighters 33.5k I believe in year one.

I would be taking home around 15k less at least before tax. Still wouldn't turn it down for the world!

Yeh it would be a pay cut at the start for myself also but I have very few commitments so could easily live on that sort of money for a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

would love to know what allowances bring it up to

• Advertisement

thatboy1 wrote: »
    would love to know what allowances bring it up to

A mate is in the job, said it can be good but the more you get the more tax you pay. Not sure he on same pay scale.

A mate is in the job, said it can be good but the more you get the more tax you pay. Not sure he on same pay scale.

Same as every job then!

Fire.I.Am wrote: »
    Same as every job then!

Exactly so I wouldn't be pinning hopes on allowances to boost the cash up too much

Exactly so I wouldn't be pinning hopes on allowances to boost the cash up too much

It'd still be a nice little bit extra when you're starting on 22k!. I'll be taking more than a 10k pay cut myself but this is the life I wanna live!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TTL2015

30k pay cut if I get it. Some people call that crazy.After aptitudes,Interviews,physical and Medicals there's still the toughest part to get through ie the wife

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

This seems to be the way the testing is done.

Wed: 0-40, 41-80

Thurs: 81-120, 121-160, 161-200

Fri: 201-240, 241-280, 281-320

Sat: 321-360, 361-400, 401-440

Mon: 441-480, 481-520, 521-560

Tues: 561-600, 601-640, 641-679

I am having trouble trying to break down what the 'Firefighter Test Familiarisation' document tells us. The following is straight forward.

"An invitation to the next stage of the competition will be determined by the place you achieve at supervised tests"

But.....

"Candidates must also reach the required standard and perform within the expected scoring bands on the basis of your performance on the unsupervised tests on each of the aptitude tests listed below. You will already have taken these tests during Stage 1 of the process so they will be familiar to you.
    3. Understanding Instructions
    4. Numeracy test
    5. Applied Numeracy test"

It never mentions the word 'verify' which a lot of people have being saying here. So, if you score within the 'test bands' do you keep your new score or old score and add that to the two video tests? Rhetorical question!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

"An invitation to the next stage of the competition will be determined by the place you achieve at supervised tests"

I think that's our answer.

I think that's our answer.

Yes, but are the supervised tests, Test 1 + Test 2 (Video) and then the other tests being "within expected band range" added to your score from Test 1 + Test 2.

I don't know if it is just me that thinks the document could be construed in two different ways. I think that if it was as straight forward as everybody is starting from scratch (once within bands), there is simpler ways to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Been 5 or 6 no shows at each test too.

mentions nothing about stage one there. Stage two will weed out cheaters and then you will be placed in order of merit from stage 2 going forward to interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

Debating the point wont bring an answer unfortunately, if somone really wants to know that badly put a call or an email in to PAS. Otherwise its just idle speculation

Been 5 or 6 no shows at each test too.

The entire back row was empty at the test i was at. Room holds 4 rows of 10. So either 10 no shows or they are not using the capacity

mentions nothing about stage one there. Stage two will weed out cheaters and then you will be placed in order of merit from stage 2 going forward to interviews.

It would have been easier to say:

In order to qualify at Stage 2, supervised test, candidates must reach the qualifying standard in the following tests,
    1. Learning Information (video based)
    2. Observation (video based)
    3. Understanding Instructions
    4. Numeracy test
    5. Applied Numeracy test

And then throw in a line or two about scoring similar to unsupervised tests.

Not trying to be awkward, just playing it out in my head. The wait is tough!

The entire back row was empty at the test i was at. Room holds 4 rows of 10. So either 10 no shows or they are not using the capacity

The room holds 5 rows in depth?

KiloDelta wrote: »
    The room holds 5 rows in depth?

Sorry you are right, it was a typo. But still 10 seats empty for whatever reason

Well spotted, i was just checking your observation skills.... Sorry you are right, it was a typo. But still 10 seats empty for whatever reason

Only 40 per class from what I gather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The more I think about the more, I know I funked this one rightly up. Really annoying, you know your not off to a good start on the numeracy test when you think 7+5=11 :pac:

It's one I know I done awful on compared to stage 1, stage 1 I was great at them, in stage 2 I was like a slug I reached around 10 with 2/3 wrong, while on the other one I think I got like 17 with one wrong :(

I showed up on the day but I left the brain half at home. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

40 per test. On average 5 or 6 no shows, sometimes more sometimes less.

40 per test. On average 5 or 6 no shows, sometimes more sometimes less.
    great news for us so. 17 tests overall missing 5 each is another 85 people out of the running already.

• Advertisement

great news for us so. 17 tests overall missing 5 each is another 85 people out of the running already.

85 high rankers no less!

Advertisement