Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

quick question guys, as I know things like this have been covered this thread already for android clones but here goes:

So I bought a refurbished Apple iPhone 5 from a Chinese site and An Post (DMC revenue) have decided it's fake, even though the seller is adamant that it's not, and having had a friend get one from the same seller his checked out fully so it's highly unlikely it's fake. It is refurbished and possibly cones with a non genuine charger cable or something but it's just the phone I'm interested in. It cost about 300€ so it's not like I was buying a cheap copy.

They plan on destroying it and it seems I'm out of options and without a phone. They have said they sent photos to Apple and they confirmed its a fake...but they haven't sent any corrospondance to back this up.

What are my options? Any corrospondace with DMC is formal and unhelpful in general.

It was paid for by credit card, do you think I should chase this option? The seller is insistent it's genuine and not open to negotiation.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Email apple with the IMEI and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

After 2 days my phone is showing as shipped.... I've got until early September to be covered by the ali express buyer protection, so will wait and see what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MelbourneDub

Email apple with the IMEI and see what they say.

DMC (revenue) won't give me any details of what was in the shipment. I have asked for the imei, but nothing back as yet. Just that it will be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭gn3dr

DMC (revenue) won't give me any details of what was in the shipment. I have asked for the imei, but nothing back as yet. Just that it will be destroyed.

That's mad - fake or not aren't they overstepping their boundaries? What has it got to do with them outside of any exise duties or VAT owed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MelbourneDub

gn3dr wrote: »
    That's mad - fake or not aren't they overstepping their boundaries? What has it got to do with them outside of any exise duties or VAT owed on it.

Totally agree... They sent me a letter of detention, saying they would destroy the phone within 10 days if no reply or if I agreed to it by either ticking I agree to the destroying or I challenge it which 'could lead to a civil action by Apple'. It was very much scare mongering in my opinion. My impression of the letter was kind of 'that's it we say it's fake, you prove its not', sure how can I without knowing the imei etc..

Now I'm in a position where I'm 300€ down, the phone is refurbished and most likely genuine and the only possible reason I can see it being stopped is because of a copy charger or cable being included with the shipment.

I'm not sure what to do.
    They are just copying and pasting links from the EU : http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_controls/counterfeit_piracy/combating/index_en.htm

Saying it's my problem and to go see the seller for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Received my UMI Emax from Coolicool last Friday 3 weeks after I ordered (as expected) and I must say I am very pleased with it. I got it to replace my stolen Nexus 5 and I think it is a big improvement on it. The battery life is incredible, Charged it fully Sunday night and still have 45% battery remaining and that is with WiFi or Data being on most of the time and phone being used a lot. Haven't used the camera much but seems to be good quality. A 5.5 inch screen suits me down to the ground as its similar to the nexus. with 2GB ram its also quite fast. So far I am happy with my purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Received my UMI Emax from Coolicool last Friday 3 weeks after I ordered (as expected) and I must say I am very pleased with it. I got it to replace my stolen Nexus 5 and I think it is a big improvement on it. The battery life is incredible, Charged it fully Sunday night and still have 45% battery remaining and that is with WiFi or Data being on most of the time and phone being used a lot. Haven't used the camera much but seems to be good quality. A 5.5 inch screen suits me down to the ground as its similar to the nexus. with 2GB ram its also quite fast. So far I am happy with my purchase!

gggr should have gone for the iron.
    I got a umi hammer and barely getting 12hours off a charge coming from a huawei y550 that kept its charge for 2days no problems.

Anybody know if there is a better battery I can get for the hammer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Used the following link Ali Express, ordered it on a Sunday, and had it by the Friday. The seller ships them to the UK, then it is redistributed via DHL. I'm in love with the K3, have it rooted, and it's running 5.1 very well.

Ordered from here myself, just wondering did they give you tracking from china to the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Gonna order the ulefone be touch 2 once i get paid on the 15th, there's currently a flash sale on 210 dollars for phone, case and screen protector. hopefully its still same price by next week! Specs seem very good, the be Touch 1 had generally positive reviews so i think this is a safe bet for the price.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_194400.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Gizchina review of the LenovoK3 Note - http://www.gizchina.com/2015/07/08/lenovo-k3-note-review-best-mt6752-device-date/

Best of the MT6752-ers and best at price level, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

corwill wrote: »
    Gizchina review of the LenovoK3 Note - http://www.gizchina.com/2015/07/08/lenovo-k3-note-review-best-mt6752-device-date/

I have this phone a few weeks and i have to say I love it, I had the moto G before hand and it was very poor once it got updated to Lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Would the seller not have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

glad I went with that phone!
    want to change ROM to custom as rooted with method quoted in previous post.
    to remove Chinese apps/bloatware.
    can anyone recommend a stable rom for it?
    Limoncello???
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I am running Lemonchello for the last day and a bit and have had no issues with it. Very solid ROM. AOSP is also very solid but Lemon is..........prettier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeOD1998

After searching around it seems the cheapest place for the lenovo note 8 is minideal has anyone used them before?

seanin4711 wrote: »
    glad I went with that phone!
    want to change ROM to custom as rooted with method quoted in previous post.
    to remove Chinese apps/bloatware.
    can anyone recommend a stable rom for it?
    Limoncello???
    thanks

I'm using AOSP V3 and it's running really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

Hi There, what is 4G reception like?
    I think the Umi Emax does not support one of the bands. I tried ordering one from Antelife but they screwed up the order.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Blankety wrote: »
    Hi There, what is 4G reception like?
    I think the Umi Emax does not support one of the bands. I tried ordering one from Antelife but they screwed up the order.:(

I'm with Vodafone. Get 4g in the Dublin city. Sparsely outside of it. Live in D15 and mainly get 3g. So the issue is carrier more so than the band on the phone. I think it only really affects 3 coverage when I checked it out a few months back. But the emax has the band for them all. Only a few use 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

fitze69 wrote: »
    I'm using AOSP V3 and it's running really well.

is that stock or custom?
    great camera on phone,whats best app to make use of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

I'm with Vodafone. Get 4g in the Dublin city. Sparsely outside of it. Live in D15 and mainly get 3g. So the issue is carrier more so than the band on the phone. I think it only really affects 3 coverage when I checked it out a few months back. But the emax has the band for them all. Only a few use 800.

I'm very far from expert in this but I think Vodafone use LTE 20 which the Emax doesn't support and LTE20 is the band that Vodafone rolled out first. It does support LTE 3 which Vodafone have spectrum in but it is not rolled out widespread as yet. hope I'm not completely wrong and regardless the battery life is what I'm after with a decent screen and camera. Best of luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Which one of these should i pick?

- Umi iron (154.99 with a umi05 code from efox), but shipped from HK +10 percent extra and you don't pay VAT, comes to a total of 173 or so.

- Lenovo K3 Note (167.56 from eud.DX.com), no VAT, no other fees, since posted from UK or something

- Elephone P8000 179.99 but I have a elecode that takes off 35 euros. Shipping costs 7.38, 18 euros for not paying VAT so final price 170.37 euros

- Meizu M2 Note Gear"beep" for 160 usd, no idea of how much the costs would be.

What i've read from elephone p8000, is that they still haven't even shipped the p7000, so it might be a long wait. This also goes with the meizu M2, since what the rumors are, is that it is only going to be shipped on the 28th of July.

So, ideas? Just sold my Xiaomi mi3 and now i'm using my work phone, the meizu M1 note with my two sim cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Blankety wrote: »
    I'm very far from expert in this but I think Vodafone use LTE 20 which the Emax doesn't support and LTE20 is the band that Vodafone rolled out first. It does support LTE 3 which Vodafone have spectrum in but it is not rolled out widespread as yet. hope I'm not completely wrong and regardless the battery life is what I'm after with a decent screen and camera. Best of luck with yours.

I was only able to find which bands the carriers make use of. Nothing about how they used them. Most have 1800. Few have 800.

The emax was originally advertised to have 800. But was quickly taken back when it actually went for sale.

Regarding battery and screen.they perform very well. I upgraded from a Samsung galaxy nexus and Samsung galaxy express. Performance overall is much better. Especially with the processor.

seanin4711 wrote: »
    is that stock or custom?
    great camera on phone,whats best app to make use of it?

It's a custom one, found it in the xda thread. I used the google camera app, i'm sure there is better ones but I never looked into it. Only thing I'd say is turn off hdr, waste of time.

tnethacker wrote: »
    Which one of these should i pick?

- Umi iron (154.99 with a umi05 code from efox), but shipped from HK +10 percent extra and you don't pay VAT, comes to a total of 173 or so.

- Lenovo K3 Note (167.56 from eud.DX.com), no VAT, no other fees, since posted from UK or something

- Elephone P8000 179.99 but I have a elecode that takes off 35 euros. Shipping costs 7.38, 18 euros for not paying VAT so final price 170.37 euros

- Meizu M2 Note Gear"beep" for 160 usd, no idea of how much the costs would be.

What i've read from elephone p8000, is that they still haven't even shipped the p7000, so it might be a long wait. This also goes with the meizu M2, since what the rumors are, is that it is only going to be shipped on the 28th of July.

So, ideas? Just sold my Xiaomi mi3 and now i'm using my work phone, the meizu M1 note with my two sim cards.

On the basis of this review - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96163610&postcount=523 - I would go for the Lenovo K3 Note. I'm on the verge of getting one myself, my Zopo is suffering a head-wrecking battery drain that I just can't fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

On the basis of this review - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96163610&postcount=523 - I would go for the Lenovo K3 Note. I'm on the verge of getting one myself, my Zopo is suffering a head-wrecking battery drain that I just can't fix.

The K3 Note seems to be getting a bit of community support behind it as well, custom roms etc.

I have a TCL M2U and think it is an excellent phone, so much so that I have stopped looking for a better one!! :(

eamonnq wrote: »
    The K3 Note seems to be getting a bit of community support behind it as well, custom roms etc.

It's just launched in India, so there should be an official stock international ROM available shortly, with gapps baked in. There were a half million registrations for a flash sale of them this week in India, so the community is going to grow.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    I have a TCL M2U and think it is an excellent phone, so much so that I have stopped looking for a better one!! :(

It's great/crap when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 timmyd7

Waiting on delivery of the Lenovo K3 Note at the minute and just wondering if anyone had any bother with delivery and what courier was used? I went for DHL and it's estimated to be here Tuesday but I'm not sure about customs...have to wait until monday morning to call them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

guys..im torn between 2 phones

the Umi Iron (providing it works on 4g here...any ideas?) and the Ulefone Be touch 2.

Whats your opinions ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Im looking at the iron too, saw a few reviews of the be touch 2 and it just didnt seem to fit some of the boxes I wanted. That being said I would love if the iron had gorilla glass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement