Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien, Catherine Murphy and the threatening lawsuit letters....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

This thread is not about Greece, Sinn Fein, or any other cute distraction.

One would hope the mods keep an eye on trying to derail the thread and get it closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

This is indeed a huge scandal for the government.

However the people have been saturated by corruption and scandals, so it won't register as much as it should.

Would not surprise me if Enda still refuses to even discuss it

Enda will blame it on the man with two pints or Gerry Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

One would hope the mods keep an eye on trying to derail the thread and get it closed.
    Good point! You're very clever!

I hope some independants join Catherine Murphy in keeping it on the agenda. Any links to what others have said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I wonder could a website be set up, remember WikiLeaks got donations or something along them lines that people can donate to there cause if bully's like DOB try putting the ****s up them. As stated on this thread, costs can be 100k+ , I would happily give a 5€ to keep information free flowing and not held by one person controlling 1/2 and paying to keep the rest shut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

It would be gas if this brought down the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Enda will blame it on the man with two pints or Gerry Adams.

Referring to Gerry Adams' past is FG Reaction 1.1 to all scandals.

Anyways, in Enda's own words

“Paddy likes to know what the story is” – Ireland’s Taoiseach-in-waiting promises to tell the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Paddy's not being told what's going on Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I hope some independants join Catherine Murphy in keeping it on the agenda. Any links to what others have said?

Stephen Donnelly, and RBB here.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/07/the-ministers-cover-up-has-failed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

The amounts involved in all this stuff are staggering. Makes the FIFA lads look like choirboys:pac:

• Advertisement

Interesting:
    Stephen Donnelly: “Public trust in the political system in Ireland has collapsed and tonight’s debate is a perfect example of why that has happened. The only reason an investigation is being conducted into the sale of IBRC assets is because of the work of Deputy Catherine Murphy. The motion before the House concerns who should conduct that investigation but serious questions of political governance must also be investigated. Why did the Minister make no mention of his Department’s concerns in response to numerous parliamentary questions from Deputy Catherine Murphy? Did the Minister inform the Taoiseach, the Economic Management Council or the Cabinet about his Department’s concerns?”

If departmental concerns about this serious issue have been kept secret, what else has been kept secret? What other parliamentary questions have been avoided or fudged by the Minister? If these concerns are worthy of investigation, and they are, why is it only being done now, years after the Department raised its concerns? I will tell the House why. It is because the Minister’s cover-up has failed and he has nowhere left to hide.”
    As I was saying, it looks like Noonan and the DoF were furious when they learned about this, but they also realised how bad it would look if the story got out...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The thing i fear with situations like this .
    It's like Ukraine and even what's going on in fifa as we speak .
    We all know about the corruption and lies and yet the status quo will never change and these people carry on as normal because nobody has the testicular fortitude to stand against the corruption

FalconGirl wrote: »
    The amounts involved in all this stuff are staggering. Makes the FIFA lads look like choirboys:pac:
    Well it looks like something around a potential 5 million per year in lost interest since O'Brien renegotiated the loan a couple of years ago...the FIFA story is dealing in the hundreds of millions.

Not to minimise it though: as I said, if something dodgy went on, I want to see people in prison.

Gatling wrote: »
    The i fear with situations like this .
    It's like Ukraine and even what's going on in fifa as we speak .
    We all know about the corruption and lies and yet the status quo will never change and these people carry on as normal because nobody has the testicular fortitude to stand against the corruption
    Or even more frightening we have let them grow too powerful and our regulatory bodies are not powerful enough. That was what cause our last banking crisis we had a terrible regulator. Neary was corrupt and just awful! By the way ...he just apologized!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/regulator-sorry-for-bank-crisis-679166.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Well it looks like something around a potential 5 million per year in lost interest since O'Brien renegotiated the loan a couple of years ago...the FIFA story is dealing in the hundreds of millions.

Not to minimise it though: as I said, if something dodgy went on, I want to see people in prison.

Im looking at the bigger picture when I say that. Siteserv deals et al

Regarding Neary.
    Ireland’s former banking regulator has said “sorry” for his role in a crisis which led the country to the brink of bankruptcy.

:eek:

I have been waiting four years after posting much vitriol about this man on FB and various other places until i have been told to stop being so annoying. I expecting to feel more smug when I heard him say sorry. And you know if they say sorry it means they were really really really really bad.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Im looking at the bigger picture when I say that. Siteserv deals et al
    You will never be able to track down everything regarding O' Brain it stretches too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Regarding Neary.

:eek:

I have been waiting four years after posting much vitriol about this man on FB and various other places until i have been told to stop being so annoying. I expecting to feel more smug when I heard him say sorry. And you know if they say sorry it means they were really really really really bad.

Took him a while didnt it

Neary was corrupt and just awful! By the way ...he just apologized!
    I don't think Neary was corrupt either - he was just an idiot.

Oh no he was both I personally think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Idiotic enough to allow them a free rein.
    Stupid as a fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well, this to me is just the tip of the iceberg and really has me fully enraged. Why am I enraged? Tax hikes, Charge after charge, yet we trust people to deal with these deals and pay them very well to do so, yet are incapable of been pushed over and lack even the most basic morals.

I don't mean to pick your post out, by 5 million is to me and a lot of people on here a serious amount of money. Imagine what resources we could invest in or taxes we could cut back on?

How many deals like this don't make it to public media?

The main problem here and I think most posters is that we have not only lost trust in the people we trusted, but the system and fail safes just do not work. Our trust is abused over and over again by who we elect, I think TD's think we just elect them for the craic or something, but we don't we trust them do Catherine Murphy has done. In fact its seen as something great, this should be the norm (its great what you do). As I said its a sorry state of affairs when contacting someone in the German goverment would do more than contacting some local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

This story is trending on Twitter....

Maybe social media isn't all bad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

mohawk wrote: »
    This story is trending on Twitter....

Maybe social media isn't all bad after all.

Well as long as it stays high up on outside Ireland media it will stay hot. It would be pretty hard to go after every none Irish source as one would not have the same sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

TallGlass wrote: »
    I don't want to see DOB locked up, I want to see him hit with a massive fine, billions if possible he doesn't deserve half of what he has, most of it on the foot of the tax payer by the looks of what I read online.

Personally what I want to see is political shunning. Anyone once found guilty by a tribunal or court of any kind of corruption is permanently barred from getting any further state contracts of any kind.

Zero tolerance. If once you act like a cute hoor, you are never again allowed within a mile of anything involving exchequer money.

It would be gas if this brought down the government.

Funnily enough, I was off work today and the doorbell rang. It was a fella out canvassing as an independent for the next general election. I said isn't that next May but he thinks it will be this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Personally what I want to see is political shunning. Anyone once found guilty by a tribunal or court of any kind of corruption is permanently barred from getting any further state contracts of any kind.

Zero tolerance. If once you act like a cute hoor, you are never again allowed within a mile of anything involving exchequer money.

You dont need political shunning, you just need the offences against the state act amended and used for it was supposed to have been created for, protection of the state against those who would undermine it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

It fairly difficult to get state contracts,I know when you do tender you have to go through hoops with tax clearence certs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Vincent Brown show also silenced by dob lawyers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement