Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien, Catherine Murphy and the threatening lawsuit letters....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

DeVore wrote: »
    They can abuse the copyright system to get it taken down (one of the many reasons I've been fighting those dumb copyright laws recently).

Is Dail Tv copyrighted ? Thought it was public available without restrictions.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The problem is that if you PUBLISH something which is libellous, you can be held accountable for the libel therein. Ok, kinda sounds fine on the face of it.

BUT... if someone powerful threatens to SUE you over something that might or might not be libellous... you wont know until you take a BIG gamble on the legal costs (could run into 100k+ easy). So, what do you do... you play it safe and take the piece down. Which is what has been happening.

Its also why I haven't reproduced the piece here.. I've pointed you to where you can find it (in its lovely little protected space :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The slimy little Maltesian.

No need to insult the people of Malta over that slimeball.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

From Broadsheet's piece:

Scary update: Solicitors acting for Denis O’Brien have asked us to remove this post asserting that it is a breach of a High Court Order [O’Brien Vs RTÉ]. They gave a 7pm deadline or they would begin injunction proceedings. We have replied that article 15.12 of the constitution allows all Dáil statements “wherever published” to be privileged and we currently await their response.

Update: In response, Denis O’Brien’s legal representative said the High Court ruling “covers what could be reported about what was said in the Dáil by Catherine Murphy” and again put us ‘on notice’. Unfortunately The judge in the case never revealed the terms of the injunction. In a statement tonight Catherine Murphy said: “I am a public representative. Information came to me, from a number of reliable sources, that is, without doubt, in the public interest. I have a duty to put that information into the public domain and I fully intend to fulfill my democratic mandate.”

That's how its done folks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Removal from Youtube or not. That piece on the Dail website is going no where.

I am more interested in why the judge ruling this case felt it was in best interest of the people not to know about this? This seems extremely serious to me.

Think about it, after all the banks been bailed out after scandals, the judge over seeing this case decided to rule in Dennis favour after it clear as day something is going on, why on gods name would a bank drop there interest rate so low for one man, unless something seriously dodgy was going on?

Even if SiteServ was worth nothing, a bank wouldn't drop repayments so low. I am not a banker, but going by my personal loans and reading the papers at the moment, banks seem to have massive problems dropping even dropping tiny % amounts from mortgage holders repayment, so for me looking at that drop Dennis has gotten. I would be seriously questioning whats going on here.

So maybe this judge is living under a rock? The banking system has again pulled a fast one on us as taxpayers, the judge has gone and agreed that this practice was fair and reasonable. Well judge if that is the case, why can the goverment force the banks now to drop there rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

The problem is that if you PUBLISH something which is libellous, you can be held accountable for the libel therein. Ok, kinda sounds fine on the face of it.

BUT... if someone powerful threatens to SUE you over something that might or might not be libellous... you wont know until you take a BIG gamble on the legal costs (could run into 100k+ easy). So, what do you do... you play it safe and take the piece down. Which is what has been happening.
    It's almost becoming a permanent gag on rte these days though and our news is becoming more and more tepid because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Will people remember this at the next GE or put their heads in the sand and vote for DOB's besties in FG again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Watch it disappear from youtube!

Won't matter all over facebook and other social media now. I urge everyone to send a link of todays events to friends and family. This man needs to be stopped for the sake of our democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

The people of the country need to row in behind Catherine. Far too many have their heads in the sand.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Will people remember this at the next GE or put their heads in the sand and vote for DOB's besties in FG again?

People don't give a hoot as long as the jobs are being created and the economy is improving. That said people need to be reminded of the FF years and how ignoring blatant corruption turned out for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He's behind you!!!

Booo!!!! Hissssss!!!

Everybody needs a pantomime villain eh?

We need to vote in more independents who aren't cowed by their "political party" and afraid to speak up for fear of losing the whip (read: cash to get reelected).

The very best people in our dail are independents. Not all the independents, fine, but most of the best politicians in there are independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

From Broadsheet's piece:

Scary update: Solicitors acting for Denis O’Brien have asked us to remove this post asserting that it is a breach of a High Court Order [O’Brien Vs RTÉ]. They gave a 7pm deadline or they would begin injunction proceedings. We have replied that article 15.12 of the constitution allows all Dáil statements “wherever published” to be privileged and we currently await their response.

Update: In response, Denis O’Brien’s legal representative said the High Court ruling “covers what could be reported about what was said in the Dáil by Catherine Murphy” and again put us ‘on notice’. Unfortunately The judge in the case never revealed the terms of the injunction. In a statement tonight Catherine Murphy said: “I am a public representative. Information came to me, from a number of reliable sources, that is, without doubt, in the public interest. I have a duty to put that information into the public domain and I fully intend to fulfill my democratic mandate.”

That's how its done folks...

Fair play to the woman! We need people like her representing us!It's refreshing to see a politician putting their neck on the line for their principles and for the good of the country as a whole.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    The people of the country need to row in behind Catherine. Far too many have their heads in the sand.
    I think the public will and social media I don't think she can expect stron support from peers or official media though. I read a little about this before and her reporting on How Noonan's feelings were so different publically from privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Funny thing... the Oireachtas debates enjoy a privileged position in Irish society in that they are protected speech and TD's cant be sued for what they say on the floor. Neat huh!

The interesting question which should be answered over the next little while is whether D'OB enjoys a more or less privileged position in Irish society than our constitution.

Sadly, I personally don't feel at all confident enough to pre-judge the answer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

TallGlass wrote: »
    Removal from Youtube or not. That piece on the Dail website is going no where.

I am more interested in why the judge ruling this case felt it was in best interest of the people not to know about this? This seems extremely serious to me.

Think about it, after all the banks been bailed out after scandals, the judge over seeing this case decided to rule in Dennis favour after it clear as day something is going on, why on gods name would a bank drop there interest rate so low for one man, unless something seriously dodgy was going on?

Even if SiteServ was worth nothing, a bank wouldn't drop repayments so low. I am not a banker, but going by my personal loans and reading the papers at the moment, banks seem to have massive problems dropping even dropping tiny % amounts from mortgage holders repayment, so for me looking at that drop Dennis has gotten. I would be seriously questioning whats going on here.

So maybe this judge is living under a rock? The banking system has again pulled a fast one on us as taxpayers, the judge has gone and agreed that this practice was fair and reasonable. Well judge if that is the case, why can the goverment force the banks now to drop there rates.

A FG appointed judge. FG have been heavily linked with DOB. Sometimes the most obvious thing is really the truth. We are a cosy little country. Thank god for social media!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1030/655827-high-court/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Zebra3 wrote: »
    This is to do with Anglo - there's no evidence that Noonan was anything but absolutely furious about the deal when he learned about it (after it was all done). And I think that Noonan is a pretty sh!tty Minister of Finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Considering this is Ireland. I'd say the judge in question was well rewarded for his decision. And no doubt a golden hand shake plus inflated pension before any Tribunal can be arsed to look into it.

Another Tribunal, the answer to everything. My arse, get this in front of the EU ASAP. Bankers/business men still up to no good and the EU still in **** over it.

I don't want to see DOB locked up, I want to see him hit with a massive fine, billions if possible he doesn't deserve half of what he has, most of it on the foot of the tax payer by the looks of what I read online.

Ireland cannot do this because the goverment are retarded, someone should bring this to Europe. They won't bat an eyelid at him and his scare tactics, in fact it would enrage them more . Hopefully hit him with a massive fine and trust me he can't go running from the EU.

I actually feel contacting someone in the German goverment would do more than contacting a local TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its also why I haven't reproduced the piece here.. I've pointed you to where you can find it (in its lovely little protected space :) )

You can not be sued for reporting something that has been said in the Dail.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    A FG appointed judge. FG have been heavily linked with DOB. Sometimes the most obvious thing is really the truth. We are a cosy little country. Thank god for social media!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1030/655827-high-court/

I think it's just dawning on them that we have voices and opinions. They got away long enough with only letting us know what they wanted us to know.

• Advertisement

Another Tribunal, the answer to everything. My arse, get this in front of the EU ASAP. Bankers/business men still up to no good and the EU still in **** over it.

I don't want to see DOB locked up, I want to see him hit with a massive fine, billions if possible he doesn't deserve half of what he has, most of it on the foot of the tax payer by the looks of what I read online.

Ireland cannot do this because the goverment are retarded, someone should bring this to Europe. They won't bat an eyelid at him and his scare tactics, in fact it would enrage them more . Hopefully hit him with a massive fine and trust me he can't go running from the EU.

I actually feel contacting someone in the German goverment would do more than contacting a local TD.

It's a sad state of affairs when that last statement is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Chucken wrote: »
    I think it's just dawning on them that we have voices and opinions. They got away long enough with only letting us know what they wanted us to know.

Remember this when you vote for party's that have members that want to censor the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Is there not a queue of litigation against the Irish government as a result of tribunal findings that 'someone' used undue influence to obtain a telecommunications licence, as in the Govt being sued by the failed bidders..
    This whole thing will cost the state alot of hospitals, schools, garda stations, roads, you know.. the kinds of things a citizenry needs. Oh well, as long as Dennis is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Thank you DeVore. I have posted this link on Facebook as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Someone should bring it to CAB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Someone should bring it to CAB!
    I'd love to see a certain corrupting influence in Irish society banged up next to his Tipperary facilitator.

Des Carville worked as an adviser to siteserv and on esat deal for Denis O'Brien. He joined the Department of Finance 18 months after the Siteserv deal, where he oversees the State’s shareholding in Irish banks. He declared it as a conflict of interest. He was advising Denis and siteserve and working in the dep of finance.

Remember this when you vote for party's that have members that want to censor the web.

I've never voted FF or FG. I will admit to voting Labour last time but never again.

Chucken wrote: »
    I've never voted FF or FG. I will admit to voting Labour last time but never again.
    Who now though ??:confused:

• Advertisement

Who now though ??:confused:

Anyone who isn't FF/FG/ LAB?

Advertisement