Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Graham wrote: »
    Iberia had a lot of flab they needed to loose, EI have already lost most of theirs.

They will lose some admin/finance jobs, but potentially gain more in an expanded airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

RayM wrote: »
    I've never really understood why the state should own an airline.
    Whisky Mac wrote: »
    I never got this either
    That said there is no need now for the state to involve itself in airlines.

For purely strategic reasons, as an island nation, would it not be prudent of the government to retain some copper-fastened stake or clause that EI can come under the Irish government's control in the event of catastrophe, war or some-such?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Terrible news for so many Cork businesses.
    How long before the Heathrow slots vanish I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For purely strategic reasons, as an island nation, would it not be prudent of the government to retain some copper-fastened stake or clause that EI can come under the Irish government's control in the event of catastrophe, war or some-such?

What??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm no fan of privatisation of public utilities, but I've never really understood why the state should own an airline.

Presumably it's because of the importance of maintaining a good link with as many countries as possible for tourism without the over-riding goal of profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

hopefully, nothing like a bit of insider info

Stock has been trading close to the 1.55 mark all day. The market knows this is inevitable.

What??? :confused:

You know, if a major war broke out in Europe, or if there was some sort of catastrophe like a massive Tsunami or some other calamity.. a fleet of aircraft under control of the government could be essential for rescuing/evacuating people, bringing in supplies/aid etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The airline currently is not in control of the state anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You know, if a major war broke out in Europe, or if there was some sort of catastrophe like a massive Tsunami or some other calamity.. a fleet of aircraft under control of the government could be essential for rescuing/evacuating people, bringing in supplies/aid etc.

You do realise the airline has already been privatised, it's no longer under state control.

HIB wrote: »

Shocking, the residents of Cork may now have to use the air services provided such that they're maintained on a commercial rather than political basis.

• Advertisement

You do realise the airline has already been privatised, it's no longer under state control.

Doesn't the state remain the largest share-holder though?

Or, leaving aside the disaster scenarios, maintaining regional links to key European airports is essential for fostering business and innovation outside of Dublin.

But shur, at this stage, Enda and co would probably sell their grannies, if they thought it would fund a round of tax cuts before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

That's what the Air Corps are for. Do you think The Brits own BA? No, they have invested in their own Air Corp for dealing with emergency's.

Also, if there was a real once in a century type disaster (civil unrest, tsunami etc) the Govt can simply nationalise the airline or commandeer the aircraft by issuing a decree.

Shocking, the residents of Cork may now have to use the air services provided such that they're maintained on a commercial rather than political basis.

Well it looks like EMC, Apple, Pfizer etc. will all probably have to do without a link to Heathrow.
    Not to mention all the smaller businesses whose main export market is the UK, and whose business depends upon fostering close relationships with their customers.

That's what the Air Corps are for. Do you think The Brits own BA? No, they have invested in their own Air Corp for dealing with emergency's.

Our Air Corps has nothing like the capacity that would be required to manage a major disaster/event though does it?
    Also, if there was a real once in a century type disaster (civil unrest, tsunami etc) the Govt can simply nationalise the airline or commandeer the aircraft by issuing a decree.

Oh, I didn't know that. At least that's something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Doesn't the state remain the largest share-holder though?

Nope, that would be Ryanair.... for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm no fan of privatisation of public utilities, but I've never really understood why the state should own an airline.
    You're not really a country until you have (a) an origin myth, (b) a beer, (c) an airline.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Well it looks like EMC, Apple, Pfizer etc. will all probably have to do without a link to Heathrow.
    Not to mention all the smaller businesses whose main export market is the UK, and whose business depends upon fostering close relationships with their customers.

If the deal is as rumored i.e. the Heathrow slots have to be ring fenced for X number of years then Cork AND Shannon will be in a better place than they are now. As it stands Aer Lingus has nothing making it fly these routes barring commercial reasons.

I hope this deal goes through as it helps protect Aer Lingus in the long term, and give the airline the potential to grow at a quicker rate with the backing of a very well run and experienced parent company.

Complete and utter scaremongering with zero base in reality. Or are you privy to some secret insider information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

My abiding memory of Cunnu Lingus is getting shafted up the chuff by them on flights to the UK back in the eighties. I hope they die roaring. Still can't get past the hate tbh..

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    You're not really a country until you have (a) an origin myth, (b) a beer, (c) an airline.

I thought the beer and the airline had both already been sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 john_bane

catbear wrote: »
    I was flying back from south america recently and all the airlines were charging roughly 600-700 to get to Madrid but the onward leg to Dublin with their partner Aerlingus was costing an extra 400!!!!

Instead I booked a Ryanair flight from the same airport in Madrid for €25.

Ryanair must have changed tack of late , I flew back early from argentina in the past year and while at Madrid airport , I enquired with Ryanair about getting a one way to Dublin

190 quid , no bargains at short notice even with Ryanair in my experience

Stock has been trading close to the 1.55 mark all day. The market knows this is inevitable.

stock hasn't been @ 1.55 in more than six months , it finished the day just below 2.40

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

My abiding memory of Cunnu Lingus is getting shafted up the chuff by them on flights to the UK back in the eighties. I hope they die roaring. Still can't get past the hate tbh..

How would an airline 'die roaring'? :confused:

Complete and utter scaremongering with zero base in reality. Or are you privy to some secret insider information?

You honestly think aer lingus won't find a more profitable route to occupy those slots, once their short term commitment to those slots expired?

I just can't see how a couple of hundred million euro is a big enough prize to risk losing those slots.

They must be worth many multiples of that to the local economy.

You honestly think aer lingus won't find a more profitable route to occupy those slots, once their short term commitment to those slots expired?

I just can't see how a couple of hundred million euro is a big enough prize to risk losing those slots.

Still no facts then?

Use them or loose them. Remember those slots next time you or your neighbours choose to save €20 flying Ryanair.

many airlines are trying to get out of heathrow , its like traffic in galway city over there

as another poster pointed out , IAG may now use Dublin as another hub

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mossleycnoc

Rather one sided interview on RTE Six One news with some guy from tourist federation extolling the virtues of the deal. Seems like the elite have already decided that the airline should go. Not really sure that disposal of Heathrow slots is in the national interest tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I've never understood the logic of governments selling off profitable enterprises they own or have a controlling interest in, be it airlines or banks or whatever.

"The private sector will run it more efficiently." Like how efficiently they ran the banks, you mean? Every euro in profit that is made by a state run business is a euro less that has to be found out of taxation.

If it makes you lots of money, keep it. Why the fug sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Duck Soup wrote: »

If it makes you lots of money, keep it. Why the fug sell?

Because it doesn't make them a lot of money. It's been very very close to collapse at least a few times over the last 20 odd years and has had to be bailed out.

Advertisement