Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Aer Lingus

Options
  • 24-01-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Willie Walsh has finally got his target.

Aer Lingus is set to accept IAG's latest takeover offer

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-set-to-accept-iag-takeover-bid-reports-1.2078736

On the one hand this is a bit sad because I think most Irish people have a very high regard for Aer Lingus as the national carrier but ultimately it's the right thing to do. I hope they keep the airline's identity, keep it Ireland based and use the extra largesse to create a lot more routes from Ireland.

As long as they don't replace the shamrock on the tail with a union jack I think people can live with it:pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Thanks for that and now the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have not had a "national carrier" for years. That entity disappeared on privatisation. Just another airline now.

Due to get wetter I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Supposed to hit 12 degrees tomorrow though. Winter me hoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

and what about the staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

connundrum wrote: »

Bring out the sunbeds and the fake tan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I wonder will they rejoin the one world alliance, so I can have more options for my frequent flyer points or s*it I hope they don't cancel the loyalty program...better spend my points quick.

Are loyalty programs of taken over companies always honored by the takeover company I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

connundrum wrote: »
    We have not had a "national carrier" for years. That entity disappeared on privatisation. Just another airline now.

Due to get wetter I think.
    Thanks for that and now the weather.
    Bring out the sunbeds and the fake tan!

Weather forum
    >>>>>>>>:cool: (you are more likely to be dressed like an eskimo later next week than a sun seeking holiday maker incidentally ):pac:

Of course it's not a national carrier anymore but it's still important to Ireland and the economy. My worry is the government wouldn't mind the extra dosh for the next election and a long with Ryanair might accept an offer that is bad for Aer Lingus and ultimately Irish aviation in the long run. Aer Lingus has to join a bigger group - just make sure it's on the right terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

chrysagon wrote: »
    and what about the staff?

All to have their contracts broken , made or asked to sign New contracts , large scale recruitment on contract , New pilots to be trained ,parachutes to be purchased, lots of new elastic bands to be purchased, future plans to have a combined civil and defence airline .......I'm making this all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Weather forum
    >>>>>>>>:cool: (you are more likely to be dressed like an eskimo later next week than a sun seeking holiday maker incidentally ):pac:

Of course it's not a national carrier anymore but it's still important to Ireland and the economy. My worry is the government wouldn't mind the extra dosh for the next election and a long with Ryanair might accept an offer that is bad for Aer Lingus and ultimately Irish aviation in the long run. Aer Lingus has to join a bigger group - just make sure it's on the right terms.

The fear would be that any takeover would be detrimental to the Irish economy since it could potentially make Ireland harder to access. The Heathrow slots are the jewel in the crown of Aer Lingus and this is the main reason IAG want to buy it.

The major risk is that IAG would use the Heathrow slots on its larger more profitable routes, with Ireland ultimately being relegated to using London's other airports. This would have connectivity implications for the Irish economy as like it or not, Heathrow is still probably Irelands largest transfer airport.

It would be disappointing to see it sold on a more emotional level too. I've always had the feeling of being "home" once I boarded an Aer Lingus flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

more of a cunni fan myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I wonder will they rejoin the one world alliance, so I can have more options for my frequent flyer points or s*it I hope they don't cancel the loyalty program...better spend my points quick.

Are loyalty programs of taken over companies always honored by the takeover company I wonder?

Good news for me - myself and the wife have loads of BA points, have been holding off on using them but can now hopefully use them for DUB-JFK on Aer Lingus.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Good news for me - myself and the wife have loads of BA points, have been holding off on using them but can now hopefully use them for DUB-JFK on Aer Lingus.

You're already able to redeem Avios on EI - it actually makes real sense to do so, as you avoid the prohibitive surcharges BA load onto reward tickets on their own metal. The DUB - BOS route for a Business Class reward is considered one of the best mileage redemptions out there - using just 50,000 Avios + €100 or so.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-gold-circle-club/1508856-bos-dub-dub-bos-using-avios.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

Looks like Willie Walsh has finally got his target.

Aer Lingus is set to accept IAG's latest takeover offer

On the one hand this is a bit sad because I think most Irish people have a very high regard for Aer Lingus as the national carrier but ultimately it's the right thing to do. I hope they keep the airline's identity, keep it Ireland based and use the extra largesse to create a lot more routes from Ireland.

As long as they don't replace the shamrock on the tail with a union jack I think people can live with it:pac:
    from the Irish Times:

"EVMcFinnity
    The government turned down an offer of €2.80 per share from Ryanair when the airline was in rag order. Now operating efficiently and the pension problem solved, it will now be getting less from IAG (really British Airways). The Heathrow slots will at last be surrendered. Unlike Bertie and the protection bosses who shot him down and bankrupted the country, O'Leary is a patriotic Irishman."

This!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

metrosity wrote: »
    from the Irish Times:

"EVMcFinnity
    The government turned down an offer of €2.80 per share from Ryanair when the airline was in rag order. Now operating efficiently and the pension problem solved, it will now be getting less from IAG (really British Airways). The Heathrow slots will at last be surrendered. Unlike Bertie and the protection bosses who shot him down and bankrupted the country, O'Leary is a patriotic Irishman."

This!

The Ryanair bid, if it had been successful, would have been detrimental to competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

British Airways now owns Aer Lingus

never thought i would see the day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

will Europe allow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You're already able to redeem Avios on EI - it actually makes real sense to do so, as you avoid the prohibitive surcharges BA load onto reward tickets on their own metal. The DUB - BOS route for a Business Class reward is considered one of the best mileage redemptions out there - using just 50,000 Avios + €100 or so.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-gold-circle-club/1508856-bos-dub-dub-bos-using-avios.html

Yeah Dub-Bos Business class is always half full of Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

The Ryanair bid, if it had been successful, would have been detrimental to competition.

And this doesn't impact competition with ba's seven return flights Per day between DubLin and Heathrow.?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    And this doesn't impact competition with ba's seven return flights Per day between DubLin and Heathrow.?

Loads of competition on other London routes (Gatwick, City, Luton and Southend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

British Airways now owns Aer Lingus

never thought i would see the day

BA and Iberia to be exact, .. and whoever eventually buys them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

BA bid for Aer Lingus - then why is it in the AH forum, I didn't realise Bargain Alert members had amassed such a fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The EU kicked up a stink when ryanaer tried to buy them out, yet they have no problem with BA doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The EU kicked up a stink when ryanaer tried to buy them out, yet they have no problem with BA doing the same.

IAG has way more Spanish subsiderys in it than anything else , in excess of ten or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Keep the Aer Lingus brand and I think everyone'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

The reason being, Ireland is a small island. If another irish carrier was allowed purchase Aer Lingus, our airlines Would dwindle from 2 down to one, thus, sky rocketing the price of an airline ticket. Ryanair would have a monopoly as strictly speaking, their would be no competition.

Iag are english branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cruais wrote: »
    The reason being, Ireland is a small island. If another irish carrier was allowed purchase Aer Lingus, our airlines Would dwindle from 2 down to one, thus, sky rocketing the price of an airline ticket. Ryanair would have a monopoly as strictly speaking, their would be no competition.

Iag are english branded.

Aren't Aer Arann still on the go?

Aside from Irish airlines, there's a few other non-Irish carriers that fly in and out too. Personally, I'd rather see Ryanair get Aer Lingus and make a real go of lowering long haul flights. But then, I haven't liked Aer Lingus for over 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Aren't Aer Arann still on the go?

Aside from Irish airlines, there's a few other non-Irish carriers that fly in and out too. Personally, I'd rather see Ryanair get Aer Lingus and make a real go of lowering long haul flights. But then, I haven't liked Aer Lingus for over 10 years

Aer Arann are no more. Stobart air are now in existence, under owner of haulier Eddie Stobart. Its very confusing, but, Stobart Air appear to be Aerlingus, as the aircraft is coloured as per Shamrock and the crew wear Aer Lingus uniforms. This is not the case.

Stobart air are limited in destination. Its generally smaller destinations in uk such as Leeds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

cruais wrote: »
    Iag are english branded.

IAG is a British-Spanish multinational airline holding company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

There is a long way to go.

Just Like Ryanair, the EU and Irish Government will have their say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The fear would be that any takeover would be detrimental to the Irish economy since it could potentially make Ireland harder to access. The Heathrow slots are the jewel in the crown of Aer Lingus and this is the main reason IAG want to buy it.

The major risk is that IAG would use the Heathrow slots on its larger more profitable routes, with Ireland ultimately being relegated to using London's other airports. This would have connectivity implications for the Irish economy as like it or not, Heathrow is still probably Irelands largest transfer airport.

BA already use some of their own LHR
    slots for DUB flights. This will probably mean less regular LHR connectivity, but not none. The LHR connectivity in general is becoming less important, but I agree, it still is important.

I can't really speak for the regional, airports, but I'd imagine this will hurt them more than DUB.

Advertisement