Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Does the OP care to give any info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

RayM wrote: »
    I'm no fan of privatisation of public utilities, but I've never really understood why the state should own an airline.

I never got this either....but the unions and vested interests are very emotive about the whole thing.

Anyway, I head on the radio this afternoon that they were due to discuss this in cabinet at 3 but took a break for Tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

this has been on going for months- have they finally decided to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I'm no fan of privatisation of public utilities, but I've never really understood why the state should own an airline.

They need somewhere to park their private jets! (or jet I think now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

It's only 25%. Won't make a blind bit of difference, 'cept for they will have more dosh to give away in the budget, just before the election.

• Advertisement

this has been on going for months- have they finally decided to sell?

OP will be getting back to us with the sale price imminently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

OP will be getting back to us with the sale price imminently.

hopefully, nothing like a bit of insider info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Does the OP care to give any info?

I think we should keep a say on the running of the national carrier, we currently have quite privileged slots in the biggest hub of international travel.
    Also with a bit of imagination aer lingus could be a bigger player by linking up with regional airlines in Europe and the US, the current partnership with stobart being an example of this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Its looking like the government are going to sell our 25% stake in Aer Lingus. Given their form of kowtowing to corporate interests its little surprise.

FYP

Given their form of kowtowing to corporate Union interests its little a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I wonder in ten yrs time, will they REGRET THE SALE?

• Advertisement

I think we should keep a say on the running of the national carrier

What price did the government get?

As you started the thread, I assume you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

chrysagon wrote: »
    I wonder in ten yrs time, will they REGRET THE SALE?

AL was sold off in 2006. I think the govt. should get shot of the last 25%. AL are going to have to spend a lot of money in the next 5-10 years on new planes, is it a good use of taxpayers money buying quarter shares in planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well you have to look at them in the context of when they were set up. I think Aer lingus for the most part is/was a good ambassador company for Ireland. If it could turn a profit it would be a good investment for the state. I guess now it will become another of the bland discount airlines, which it will probably fail miserably at and go bust.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I guess now it will become another of the bland discount airlines, which it will probably fail miserably at and go bust.

You think IAG are planning to turn EI into a discount airline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I was flying back from south america recently and all the airlines were charging roughly 600-700 to get to Madrid but the onward leg to Dublin with their partner Aerlingus was costing an extra 400!!!!

Instead I booked a Ryanair flight from the same airport in Madrid for €25.

Graham wrote: »
    You think IAG are planning to turn EI into a discount airline?

EI already are a discount airline.

Unless you compete in price you die.

It isn't a coincidence that EI returned to profitability with the advent of cost control & revenue generated from 'extras'.

EI already are a discount airline.

Unless you compete in price you die.

It isn't a coincidence that EI returned to profitability with the advent of cost control & revenue generated from 'extras'.

I get that, I was trying to understand scumlords train of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I presume the long term goal of IAG is to gain full control of the lucrative heathrow slots, after whatever agree period they can do what they want with them.

I can't imagine lil old Ireland will be a major market for them.

My only concern is less competition in the long term.

I presume the long term goal of IAG is to gain full control of the lucrative heathrow slots, after whatever agree period they can do what they want with them.

I presume it's almost the opposite reason. I foresee Dublin airport becoming Heathrow Terminal 5 (v.) West. Funnelling UK Regional and European traffic onto destinations in North America. In essence, re-capturing traffic that has been lost to the likes of KLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Graham wrote: »
    I get that, I was trying to understand scumlords train of thought.
    The problem is there's so much competition at the budget end. I'd usually fly with Aer Lingus, I don't mind paying the small premium and prefer the service to Ryanair. If they go head to head with Ryanair I think they'd lose, Ryanair has a big advantage and experience to beat them.

• Advertisement

The problem is there's so much competition at the budget end. I'd usually fly with Aer Lingus, I don't mind paying the small premium and prefer the service to Ryanair. If they go head to head with Ryanair I think they'd lose, Ryanair has a big advantage and experience to beat them.

I can't see IAG wanting to take on the ultra-lcc model of Ryanair. They haven't before, why do you think that will change now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Well you have to look at them in the context of when they were set up. I think Aer lingus for the most part is/was a good ambassador company for Ireland. If it could turn a profit it would be a good investment for the state. I guess now it will become another of the bland discount airlines, which it will probably fail miserably at and go bust.

Don't expect the sub-libertarians on boards to understand history. The market always works so there was no need for Aer Lingus. Rabble rabble.

That said there is no need now for the state to involve itself in airlines.

Don't expect the sub-libertarians on boards to understand history.

Often the best place for history is in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

[QUOTE=rubberdiddies;95640907My only concern is less competition in the long term.[/QUOTE]

This is easily dealt with by the Govt making it attractive for airlines to fly in and out of Ireland's publicly owned airports and by making it easy for someone (M O'Leary perhaps) to develop a private airport which would a) increase capacity into and out of Ireland and B) keep the publicly owned airports cost competitive.

New York has three international airports in close proximity. It is a much much bigger market than Dublin but I bet if the Govt relaxed the bureaucracy someone would invest in a modern functional airport to compete with DAB similar to how Glasgow and Glasgow Prestwick operate and they are only 40 miles apart.

How about Dublin Naas airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Iberia suffered major job losses though when they were taken over..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Grabs popcorn

Awaits EOTR's well thought out and intelligent contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

When governments meddle in commerce the result is usually inefficient loss making organisations. Privatisiation saved X amount of Iberia jobs otherwise the tax payer would just keep subsidising losses to keep "jobs" which weren't needed.

Iberia had a lot of flab they needed to loose, EI have already lost most of theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Its looking like the government are going to sell our 25% stake in Aer Lingus. Given their form of kowtowing to corporate interests its little surprise.

Are Lingus has long since been privatised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

It was because orgininally having airports in Ireland was not so commercially viable apparantly but they were needed to boost the economy. That was why there was so much issue with shannon etc.

I think so anyway.

Advertisement