Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not good.
    I flew with BA a few years ago and it was a real pain.

He kept saying "I ain't getting on no plane, fool", and stuff like "pity the fool" every time a passenger got on. A real drama queen.

Think I'll just fly on my own next time

This could be a terrible turn of events! BA fly from Terminal 1. I only fly BA to London as I do like a smoke before my flight from Dublin.
    What if they move to Terminal 2. Am stuck with Ryanair. Though they have a better service than Air Lingus, though not to LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

BA already use some of their own LHR
    slots for DUB flights. This will probably mean less regular LHR connectivity, but not none. The LHR connectivity in general is becoming less important, but I agree, it still is important.

I can't really speak for the regional, airports, but I'd imagine this will hurt them more than DUB.

Would it just mean that we'd end up having more flights to Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam and the like, as there is naturally demand to go far flung places ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Would it just mean that we'd end up having more flights to Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam and the like, as there is naturally demand to go far flung places ?

Add in Madrid, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul and several East Coast US airports to the above. Dublin is very well linked to many regional and global hubs. The UAE ones in particular have really shifted the dynamics on Dublin's connectivity.

Is there anywhere really that LHR provides the only convenient 1-stop service to from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    And this doesn't impact competition with ba's seven return flights Per day between DubLin and Heathrow.?

One thing I dont get about this is if BA are buying Aer Lingus because they could use their Heathrow landing slots on more profitable routes why are they currently using some of their own Heathrow slots for flights to Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cruais wrote: »
    Aer Arann are no more. Stobart air are now in existence, under owner of haulier Eddie Stobart. Its very confusing, but, Stobart Air appear to be Aerlingus, as the aircraft is coloured as per Shamrock and the crew wear Aer Lingus uniforms. This is not the case.

Stobart air are limited in destination. Its generally smaller destinations in uk such as Leeds.

OH WOW! I honest to God never heard of Eddie Stobart then 2 years ago I noticed their trucks all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

I get a gut feeling, if the takeover goes through, the whole country will feel sucker punched, (later on) with all the airports being badly affected, with Shannon, Cork, and Knock suffering really badly, in more ways than envisaged...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

RichieO wrote: »
    with Shannon, Cork, and Knock suffering really badly, in more ways than envisaged...

such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Better then Ryanair taking over

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Graham wrote: »
    such as?

Like I said, it's a gut feeling not a forecast, but from past experience with takeovers, jobs, people and places don't matter one jot, profits are the only criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

This could be a terrible turn of events! BA fly from Terminal 1. I only fly BA to London as I do like a smoke before my flight from Dublin.
    What if they move to Terminal 2. Am stuck with Ryanair. Though they have a better service than Air Lingus, though not to LHR.

You shouldn't be smoking in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I get a gut feeling, if the takeover goes through, the whole country will feel sucker punched, (later on) with all the airports being badly affected, with Shannon, Cork, and Knock suffering really badly, in more ways than envisaged...

if there can be profitable runs made from these airports someone will do them. other than that your looking at the tax payer picking up another bill under a subsidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Like I said, it's a gut feeling not a forecast, but from past experience with takeovers, jobs, people and places don't matter one jot, profits are the only criteria.

That's the way it is anyway, without any takeover bid.

It's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

You know you can go from one terminal to the other once you're through security, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So there you have it folks

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/labours-blocking-of-aer-lingus-deal-a-muchneeded-win-over-fg-partners-30952526.html

What will be done will be in the best interest of the LABOUR party and not in the best interest of either Aer Lingus or the country.

Remember Labour blocked this when Aer Lingus next gets in to trouble and goes bust because the government won't be allowed to bail it out.

Politicians should keep their noses out of things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So there you have it folks

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/labours-blocking-of-aer-lingus-deal-a-muchneeded-win-over-fg-partners-30952526.html

What will be done will be in the best interest of the LABOUR party and not in the best interest of either Aer Lingus or the country.

Remember Labour blocked this when Aer Lingus next gets in to trouble and goes bust because the government won't be allowed to bail it out.

Politicians should keep their noses out of things like this.
    the government can fiddle it in such a way to make it look like they didn't bail it out if it has to come to that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

Not really. Labor don't really get to implement their policies much as they're a minority.

It's a labor-like position to take to block this takeover as there is absolutely no guarantee over job preservation through such a sale and Labour are supposed to be all about jobs.

This is Labour finally doing what they're supposed to be doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Good grief. Willie Walsh at Oireachtas Committee at the moment, is very restrained in the face of parish pump questioning by a host of gobsh1te parliamentarians! Even the potentially better performer, Senator Sean Barrett, had his figures filleted by WW. Willie is now confirmed in the view that Irish politics has not changed one iota since he was CEO of Aer Lingus.

And now the session has been suspended because they have to go and vote in the Dail!

He put together a VERY convincing case for selling the remaining stake. More routes, more jobs, more passengers through Irish airports inc developing Dublin as a genuine transatlantic hub - guarantee on brand and separate company within group - and a host of other aspects too.

If the government don't sell it now for this they will get a lot less in the future. Even the gombeens should be able to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Willie Walsh is acting as a salesman.

Should the Oireachtas Committee believe everything he says?

Do people believe salesmen? (or women :))

• Advertisement

I hope Aer Lingus keeps it's identity, it'd be a shame to lose that unique sense of Irishness you get on the airline.

I remember a horrible journey of over 36 hours and three stops with long delays to get to Dublin. The last flight in the trilogy was an Aer Lingus one, and after the rudeness and indifference of ground staff and cabin crew for the entire preceding day with two other airlines, I was greeted with manners, smiles and genuine friendliness. Makes a big difference when you're tired and fed up to be treated like human beings and not cattle.

Valetta wrote: »

That's very strange considering that he's buying.

Let me think who I would rather trust, someone who's about to put their career on the line by spending a massive amount of their employers money or someone that will roll-over and bark if it gets them a few extra votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Valetta wrote: »

Candie wrote: »
    I hope Aer Lingus keeps it's identity, it'd be a shame to lose that unique sense of Irishness you get on the airline.

I remember a horrible journey of over 36 hours and three stops with long delays to get to Dublin. The last flight in the trilogy was an Aer Lingus one, and after the rudeness and indifference of ground staff and cabin crew for the entire preceding day with two other airlines, I was greeted with manners, smiles and genuine friendliness. Makes a big difference when you're tired and fed up to be treated like human beings and not cattle.

Say bye bye to Aer Lingus so before 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

He put together a VERY convincing case for selling the remaining stake. More routes, more jobs, more passengers through Irish airports inc developing Dublin as a genuine transatlantic hub - guarantee on brand and separate company within group - and a host of other aspects too.

If the government don't sell it now for this they will get a lot less in the future. Even the gombeens should be able to see this.

To be fair though, is this a better deal for Dublin and a bad deal for Shannon and surrounding counties?

He states that they will ensure the slots from Shannon to Heathrow will be protected for 5 years. From what i was hearing earlier last week, there are a number of companies who have invested within that region on basis of those transports slots to Heathrow.

What happens to jobs in the area after 5 years if those key slots are eliminated? Maybe more jobs will be protected if the government never sells its stake.

lightspeed wrote: »
    To be fair though, is this a better deal for Dublin and a bad deal for Shannon and surrounding counties?

He states that they will ensure the slots from Shannon to Heathrow will be protected for 5 years. From what i was hearing earlier last week, there are a number of companies who have invested within that region on basis of those transports slots to Heathrow.

What happens to jobs in the area after 5 years if those key slots are eliminated? Maybe more jobs will be protected if the government never sells its stake.

How long are the Shannon connections guaranteed for at the moment?

Have our gombeens over played their hand?

Aer Lingus bid could turn hostile for IAG...freezing the government out of any negotiating position.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/iag-could-turn-hostile-on-14bn-aer-lingus-bid-31023344.html

IAG could simply buy 75% of Aer Lingus and do what they like.

Why should IAG wait for an election here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Graham wrote: »
    How long are the Shannon connections guaranteed for at the moment?

More importantly, with this administration looking like they'll be out of power in a few months. Can IAG give some of them a nice cushy job if they rush it through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its looking like the government are going to sell our 25% stake in Aer Lingus. Given their form of kowtowing to corporate interests its little surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm no fan of privatisation of public utilities, but I've never really understood why the state should own an airline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Maybe it will become competitive now.

Advertisement