Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

not good at all when you can't afford to pay the new charge on top of the all ready existing charges you can't afford.

whats wrong with the boat. yes it takes time but sometimes people need to stop rushing everywhere and relax.

You know, I admire your persistance EOTR.

I can see the advertisements for your version of Aer Lingus. "Sure what's your hurry. Take the boat"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cobblers. Ryanair came in and prices were slashed overnight.

no, there were planns to appeal to the low cost market for a good while as the higher paying traffic was decreasing.
    They had a cosy monopoly, simple as, and they rode it hard.

they didn't. they had a necessary monopoly as air travel wasn't viable enough here before ryanair found a way to make it so
    £300.00 for a flight to the UK?? That kept their buddies on the Board in cream, and feck the flying public.

it kept the flights viable. nobody was kept in cream, the wages they got was the going wage at the time as it was at the time a high position that had to be payed a high wage to attract the best, it still is.
    So feck Air Lingus now. I hope AIG asset strip it and throw the bones in the bin. Be little loss.

not at all, you wanted to fly, so you had to pay for it. so saying feck them now because you had to pay for a service is just a bunch of rabel. it will be a huge loss. you had to pay to ensure viability. deal with it. you could have got the boat.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

why. whats wrong with subsidizing things. do you have a problem with subsidizing things in general
    Subsidising services people pay for in full everywhere else is a monumental waste of public money

Ryanair is more of an Irish company imo,
    and they're flying - long may they continue. They could have sold to Ryanair, but ohh, no. How dare the upstarts bid on the old family silver. Well the silvers sold now, and they didn't opt for the "Irish" Ryanair bid, so I care less what they do it now tbh. They'll strip out the valuable Heathrow slots and quietly phase out the shamrock -and so be it.

imo means nothing as you were wrong. both were fully irish and as irish as each other. allowing ryanair to own it as well as their own company would have meant less competition in the market. i thought competition was what you wanted

eeepaulo wrote: »
    They will be putting the money into an infrastructure fund, maybe water.

i'l believe it when i see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

i'l believe it when i see it

That's the nature of infrastructure.... It won't be there tomorrow..... So, your belief may take a while.

Subsidising services people pay for in full everywhere else is a monumental waste of public money
    no its not. sometimes services aren't viable in one place but are in another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

In Willie we trust!

That's the nature of infrastructure.... It won't be there tomorrow..... So, your belief may take a while.

yeah. it won't happen

they didn't. they had a necessary monopoly as air travel wasn't viable enough here before ryanair found a way to make it so

How did Ryanair make air travel "viable" when up to then it hadn't been?

Not that I accept that air travel in Ireland wasn't viable before the 1980's,frankly a ridiculous assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

no, there were planns to appeal to the low cost market for....... BLAH.......... the boat.
    I doubt you flew much back then.

Carry on. You're dull anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

yeah. it won't happen

Quite the sooth-sayer!

I predict some infrastructure will be built in the future.

Who will be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

eeepaulo wrote: »
    They will be putting the money into an infrastructure fund, maybe water.

The FG election war chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So how much is this worth to the government?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

which means (as its FG and the indo) it will be used to pay off the national debt.

Just so I'm straight then:

You don't trust the government with the proceeds of the sale of Aer Lingus.
    You think the running of Aer Lingus should remain entrusted to the government.

Do you sense a flaw in the logic there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The fear mongering of this deal is incredible.

Firstly IAG is not an airline but a group that owns several airlines.

BA, Iberia and Vueling.

All of this still exist in their own right so why do people think that Aer Lingus will be phased out when its brand is strong and clearly linked with Ireland.

The slots issue is being made as a big deal but guarantees have been sought.

Unions are automatically opposed, as they do. Operating in a protectionist mode without viewing the bigger picture.
    They don't seem to realise that they have no guarantee that their current jobs will be safe in 7 years as things currently stand and in my opinion the best option is for IAG to promote growth in the airline and in Dublin airport as ultimately that is what will benefit IAG and its shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Why would the EU block any Ryanair takeover, but not the takeover by a bigger machine?

At least the slots will be preserved for at least 7 years.

Why would the EU block any Ryanair takeover, but not the takeover by a bigger machine?

A Ryanair takeover would have created many monopoly routes, particularly from Ireland.

Traditionally, the airline industry makes no sense for exactly the strange reasons being given in this thread for why Aer Lingus shouldn't be sold.

Warren Buffet:
    " If a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down".

cml387 wrote: »
    Warren Buffet:
    " If a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down".

If some of our fellow posters had been present, Orville would have been give a substantial subsidy and a monopoly on both ends of the Kitty Hawk field.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    If some of our fellow posters had been present, Orville would have been give a substantial subsidy and a monopoly on both ends of the Kitty Hawk field.

Another example is Concorde. BA were losing money on it even though they had been gifted the aircraft by the British and French taxpayer. The staff on the Concorde service were given the job of coming up with ways of making more money. They had the idea of asking the passengers how much they thought their fare cost. Since the vast majority of them had no idea how much their fare was (since it was companies or PA's who has actually paid) they came up with some vastly inflated sum far greater than the actual fare, which then became the ticket price.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

northknife wrote: »
    In a few years time, I sense that there will be very little trans Atlantic flights from Ireland and it will all be connecting flights from the U.K.

That doesn't even make sense. Why do you think this takeover would lead to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

awec wrote: »
    It doesn't make a lot of money.

Aer Lingus Plc only made 72 million in 2014. The government only owned 25% of it.

It only made the government ~ 18 million a year. That is pennies in government terms.

Selling for 335 million means the government are getting about 18 years worth of 2014 profit levels.

Good deal.
    18/335 = 5% Try getting that at the bank. This sale is a sh*t deal on a performing asset.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mbur wrote: »
    18/335 = 5% Try getting that at the bank. This sale is a sh*t deal on a performing asset.

The money won't be sitting in the bank.

It's only 18 million a year, which is nothing in government terms. Governments talk in billions, not millions.

Ireland takes in like 30 billion a year or something in tax. Calling 18 million a year "performing" is like you getting excited when you get your few euro interest (if even) in your account once a year.

Quite the sooth-sayer!

I predict some infrastructure will be built in the future.

Who will be right?
    not from this money it won't.

not from this money it won't.

I'm sure you going to ignore this question, the same as every other question where you are asked to defend your position.

Have you anything at all to back this up, a shred of evidence to the contrary perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

awec wrote: »
    The money won't be sitting in the bank.

It's only 18 million a year, which is nothing in government terms. Governments talk in billions, not millions.

Ireland takes in like 30 billion a year or something in tax. Calling 18 million a year "performing" is like you getting excited when you get your few euro interest (if even) in your account once a year.

Your 'argument' is complete waffle. 5% return is a performing asset. By your standards 335 million is only spare change so why bother to sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

imo means nothing as you were wrong. both were fully irish and as irish as each other. allowing ryanair to own it as well as their own company would have meant less competition in the market. i thought competition was what you wanted

Yeah.but today is bye bye Aer Lingus and Ryanair announced record profits. Good enough. Quare Lingus hit the end of the road, but it was always on the cards.

mbur wrote: »
    Your 'argument' is complete waffle. 5% return is a performing asset. By your standards 335 million is only spare change so why bother to sell?

What was the % return each year for the last 10, 20 years?

• Advertisement

Yeah.but today is bye bye Aer Lingus and Ryanair announced record profits. Good enough. Quare Lingus hit the end of the road, but it was always on the cards.

Did you see a different press release to everyone else? Aer Lingus is not going anywhere.

Advertisement