Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Barbarians, Thomond Pk, 28/05/15 19:45, Sky SP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    What I like are the combinations and how the younger/fringe lads are being introduced. Furlong alongside McGrath and Strauss, O'Shea in a back line that all have international experience, Marshall off the bench and into a pack with plenty of experience and Kelleher into a back 3 with a good few caps too.

I think that's the logic of the Madigan selection too. I wanted PJ to start but when you look at the half-back pairings Reddan-Madigan and McGrath-Jackson make the most sense. Redser can help Mads out while PJ can help McGrath out.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

The way he's been playing for the last few months, he couldn't help himself.

Very surprised at the centre, would have though McCloskey would be right up Joes street as a 12 and worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

shuffol wrote: »
    Bit disappointed not to see McCloskey involved, not sure the point of COS starting, he's never going to be an option at test level. Some combination of McCloskey, Reid and Marshall at 12/13 would've been ideal.

Bit harsh on a guy with only 3 pro starts in his life? I wouldn't make any great claims for him, since he only has 3 pro starts in his life, but I don't think Joe would be bothered playing him if there wasn't some potential there. He played well against Edinburgh in the last round of the Pro12, so let's see how he goes.

TBH I don't think any of the 4 centres in the squad for this game are going to be in the shake-up for the RWC so it's probably not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Bit harsh on a guy with only 3 pro starts in his life? I wouldn't make any great claims for him, since he only has 3 pro starts in his life, but I don't think Joe would be bothered playing him if there wasn't some potential there. He played well against Edinburgh in the last round of the Pro12, so let's see how he goes.

TBH I don't think any of the 4 centres in the squad for this game are going to be in the shake-up for the RWC so it's probably not a big deal.

He's 24 years old though. I understand that injuries have limited him, but pretty much any outside back with serious international ambitions would hope to have established themselves by then.

He's 24 years old though. I understand that injuries have limited him, but pretty much any outside back with serious international ambitions would hope to have established themselves by then.

Well, he's no Denis Hurley like, but he might get there yet.

Well, he's no Denis Hurley like, but he might get there yet.

When Hurley was COS's age he was starting for a HEC-winning side, getting capped for Ireland, and getting capped for the Wolfhounds. Hurley has since had to reinvent himself as a centre in order to establish himself in the Munster side, despite being a much more accomplished player than COS at a similar age.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on your careful conditioning here, so that we can't accuse you of hypocrisy at least.

I suppose we ought to just blindly ignore the players that have played ahead of him at club and country for the last 6 years.

Congratulations on your careful conditioning here, so that we can't accuse you of hypocrisy at least.

I suppose we ought to just blindly ignore the players that have played ahead of him at club and country for the last 6 years.

All I pointed out is that good outside backs, unlike other positions on the field, have usually established themselves by COS's age. I don't think there is anything arguable about that.

Ronan O'Mahoney was in a similar place to COS two years ago, but he is starting to establish himself in the Munster setup now. However, he would definitely be an exception rather than the rule, and I wouldn't expect him to get anything more than a handful of combined Irish/Wolfhounds caps at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

All I pointed out is that good outside backs, unlike other positions on the field, have usually established themselves by COS's age. I don't think there is anything arguable about that.

Ronan O'Mahoney was in a similar place to COS two years ago, but he is starting to establish himself in the Munster setup now. However, he would definitely be an exception rather than the rule, and I wouldn't expect him to get anything more than a handful of combined Irish/Wolfhounds caps at most.

COS has been consistently injured. Before that he was involved with Schmidt's Leinster teams. We don't know where he would be if he hadn't been injured, but we do know Schmidt obviously still rates him to some degree. Maybe you don't rate him, and I would have no idea what you could be basing that on, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because Joe Schmidt is quite good at rugby.

Why did you pick Outside back? And not other positions?

Would you consider Conrad Smith or Tana Umaga as good outside backs? Personally I'd rank them extremely highly. Ever tracked their career progression? Does it fit your theory above?

I'm not really interested in ROM/whataboutery, I'm explaining why your contention needs some testing. Perhaps we might consider who played in the centres at Leinster and Ireland when thinking about how he's gotten on? A terrible idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

but I don't think Joe would be bothered playing him if there wasn't some potential there.

who is this joe fella and sure what does he know :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ah I don't think even his biggest admirers would have any aspirations for him greater than being a solid pro 12 player. Realistically he's not likely to become a starter for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

As someone who sees COS playing and training quite a lot I'll say this: he's not going to set the world on fire. Don't expect fireworks.

He's a very consistent, intelligent centre however.

But now adays it's the error free intelligent players that go the distance. He's very much in the mould of Cave or Smith, a no frills player but who knows where to be and when to be there at the right time, and does all the basics well. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him establish himself as Leinster's 2nd choice 13 behind T'eo.

.ak wrote: »
    As someone who sees COS playing and training quite a lot I'll say this: he's not going to set the world on fire. Don't expect fireworks.

He's a very consistent, intelligent centre however.

Yeah that would be my assessment of him too.

But isn't that pretty much what Joe looks for in his backs?

You're right though, Te'o is a different class and he's going to be starting 13 next season so COS is going to find his opportunities limited, but they are the only 13s in the squad so he should get decent game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the point of this game? Did Schmidt request it as part of his RWC preparation? Game is of interest for Irish fans but that BaaBaas side is pretty underwhelming for neutrals I would have thought. I'd say the best result for Ireland is no injuries. I'd expect a ropey first 40 with Jackson steadying the ship after half time if I'm honest.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the point of this game? Did Schmidt request it as part of his RWC preparation? Game is of interest for Irish fans but that BaaBaas side is pretty underwhelming for neutrals I would have thought. I'd say the best result for Ireland is no injuries. I'd expect a ropey first 40 with Jackson steadying the ship after half time if I'm honest.

Meh, you could ask the same question about every Barbarians game.

I can't imagine Joe asked for it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The point of this game is to try and make a few quid.

It has little to no tactical benefit, the type of game the Barbarians play is going to be very different to anything Ireland come up against in the RWC.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is it not a thomond park annual pay day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah, it's to try help Munster pay down their big debt I would have thought - not getting the bums on seats they would have projected when they redeveloped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Barbarians are playing the Saxons on Sunday too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Uggh that benchwarmer Eoin Reddan is playing :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeh same reason any team requests a baabaa game, cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

One of the worst ways of making cash I can think of.

A Thursday night with no Munster players, expensive tickets and not the most attractive BaaBaas team either. Very hard to justify the price I think.

Fireball07 wrote: »

A Thursday night with no Munster players, expensive tickets and not the most attractive BaaBaas team either. Very hard to justify the price I think.

Yea I don't think it'll be a huge success. Might make a few quid but I'd be surprised if it's anything to write home about.

Even with the Munster players the Barbarian team isn't amazing enough to pull in the punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

So that all said will they shift 20,000 tickets? Should do giving how long they've had to sell this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wonder what the cost/benefit breakdown would be when you consider the chance of first line players getting injured. If Heaslip got injured and mossed the world cup, that would project as a loss for the IRFU I'm sure.

Yeah, put it a week after pro12 final would've made more sense. There's always a few irish teams in the play offs.

My interest in it is so low I'm not even sure I'll watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Will it even hit break even?

Cost of everything vs the ticket take/refreshments...shocking bad work if they make little or no money from this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement

Just cause seats aren't available on ticketmaster doesn't mean they have been sold for profit though.

A lot of them will be taken as freebies for competitions, sold through other means etc etc.

Advertisement