Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Barbarians, Thomond Pk, 28/05/15 19:45, Sky SP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fantastic that Rhys Ruddock is back. This is a big game for him.

In hindsight this was a silly time to schedule a game. Could it have been played next week when you would have more players available? (Connacht anyway) A Lulster team isn't exactly a great sell for Limerick people and a Thursday night kick off rules out people travelling to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Wonder why Henderson isn't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Crazy anti-Munster bias with that selection!! :pac:

Would you believe there are actually genuine complaints about it on Facebook! :rolleyes:

shuffol wrote: »
    Wonder why Henderson isn't involved.

Looks like most of the front line Ulster players were rested. No Best, Payne or Cave for example. Touhy and Henry probably could do with the game time and Gilroy is an outside shot at the squad so now's a good time to get a look at him.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Would you believe there are actually genuine complaints about it on Facebook! :rolleyes:

Ah it's from people who obviously aren't following rugby week to week. Tbh there might have been a spot for some Munster fringe players but with our injury worries they have to be held back. Had POM, TOD and DOCII been fit for example I'm sure Jack O'Donoghue would have been released. Same for Andrew Conway if Zebo wasn't following RTP. Further to that, Munster have a lot of injuries amongst "squad players".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Coughlan and Bleyendaal would have been good options for the Baa-Baas to have included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yes, yes I would believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

That's a nice looking Irish squad actually, the pack should be good and there is plenty to be excited about in the backs I would have thought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Somehow, I'm not surprised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Some interesting selections in there in terms of development and maybe a push for places, Gilroy could get to push Jones for a place. Touhy, Henry and Ruddock will all be looking to put their hands up too, delighted to see Ben Marshall in there, still find the fact his contract hasn't been nailed down anywhere strange.

• Advertisement

Strong team possible then:

McGrath Strauss Ross
    Tuohy Toner
    Ruddock Henry Heaslip
    Reddan Jackson
    Gilroy McCloskey Marshall* Kearney
    Kearney

That's not a bad side, it's only the centres that aren't really in the running for the RWC squad (yet). I've gone with *Marshall at 13 because he's the most likely of the 12s to play there, it would be a major surprise if we started O'Shea.

Probably starting XV:

McGrath, Strauss, Ross
    Toner, Touhy
    Diack, Heaslip, Henry

Reddan, Jackson
    ???, ???
    Gilroy, R Kearney, D Kearney

I can't call the centres at all from the squad....

McGrath Strauss Ross
    Tuohy Toner
    Ruddock Henry Heaslip
    Reddan Jackson
    Kearney

That's not a bad side, it's only the centres that aren't really in the running for the RWC squad (yet). I've gone with *Marshall at 13 because he's the most likely of the 12s to play there, it would be a major surprise if we started O'Shea.

Has Marshall played 13 before? How much game time has he had lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ireland Squad:

Loosehead: |McGrath, Bent
    Hooker:|Strauss, Herring
    Tighthead:|Ross, Furlong
    Lock:|Toner, Touhy, Marshall
    Blindside:|Ruddock, Diack
    Openside:|Henry, Murphy
    Number 8:|Heaslip, Conan
    |
    Scrum Half:|Reddan, McGrath
    Out Half:|Jackson, Madigan
    Inside Centre:|Marshall, Reid, McCloskey
    Outside Centre: |O'Shea
    Wing: |D Kearney, Gilroy
    Full Back: |R Kearney, Kelleher

Obviously Joe is looking at one of the 12s as a 13, but not sure which one. McCloskey maybe?

Hard to know as it is a bit of a random selection.

The strongest XV is probably

15 R.Kearney
    14 Gilroy
    13 McCloskey
    12 Madigan
    11 D.Kearney
    10 Jackson
    9 Reddan
    1 McGrath
    2 Strauss
    3 Ross
    4 Toner
    5 Tuohy
    6 Ruddock
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip

But logic may go out the window a bit. For example I'd be tempted to start Luke McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Has Marshall played 13 before? How much game time has he had lately?

Think I've seen him there outside Olding?

Might be barking up the wrong tree, but this seems the strongest squad you guys have put out against the Baabaas for some time. I'm looking forwards to this, not often you can waste a Thursday night with rugby (and the Challenge Cup ain't exactly great).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Might be barking up the wrong tree, but this seems the strongest squad you guys have put out against the Baabaas for some time. I'm looking forwards to this, not often you can waste a Thursday night with rugby (and the Challenge Cup ain't exactly great).

Yep. Marshall has played 13 outside Olding. Scarlets away at the start of the season being one example. He has actually looked quite good there. If provincial form is anything to go by I expect Madigan and McCloskey in the midfield. McCloskey could play 13 but then so could Madigan.

You'd struggle to piece together a good Pro12 backline out of that lot. The pack should be decent enough, but it certainly won't be a team that will draw in a big crowd.

Must. not. bite.

Here's one of the choice complaints on Facebook about Munster players who should be involved. It's actually pretty funny. This guy in particular is outraged.
    Martin Kelly plays Munster player.. hasn't played for Munster yet.. Barry O Mahony only played 4 games for Munster.. Johnny Holland only played 4 games for Munster Allan Cotter only played 5.. Shane Buckley only played 3.. theres plays there that would love to get a cap..

Here's one of the choice complaints on Facebook about Munster players who should be involved. It's actually pretty funny. This guy in particular is outraged.
    All the players he mentions are injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Buer wrote: »
    He retired a year ago. He wouldn't be able to hack 10 minutes of rugby at this level now.

Augers well for Nacewa returning to Leinster
    :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ireland Squad:

|

Obviously Joe is looking at one of the 12s as a 13, but not sure which one. McCloskey maybe?

Serious company in the back 3 for Kelleher there

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd like to see Reid and COS used at some point, they're very good together as a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The selection in the backline is very interesting. I think we'll see Reddan/Jackson starting at 9/10, I'd think we could see Reid/Marshall at 12/13. I'd be really interested to see that selection.

Interesting that, I think, we're going to see Dave Kearney playing on the right wing...

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Irish Rugby Facebook is always good for a laugh when these things are announced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    The Irish Rugby Facebook is always good for a laugh when these things are announced.

Do you think the players look at the FB page and bitch that there are more comments from other province's fans than theirs? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ireland Squad:

|

Luke Marshall is actually a 10 / 13 who got moved to 12 as Ulster had Cave there playing very well.
    You'd struggle to piece together a good Pro12 backline out of that lot. The pack should be decent enough, but it certainly won't be a team that will draw in a big crowd.
    :pac::pac:

McGrath Strauss Ross
    Tuohy Toner
    Ruddock Henry Heaslip
    Reddan Jackson
    Kearney

bilston wrote: »
    Yep. Marshall has played 13 outside Olding. Scarlets away at the start of the season being one example. He has actually looked quite good there. If provincial form is anything to go by I expect Madigan and McCloskey in the midfield. McCloskey could play 13 but then so could Madigan.

Marshall has all the skills required to be a really good 13. He is actually wasted at 12 for Ulster with - when fit - Olding and McCloskey clearly good 12s who offer different styles. I have to say though that I think Olding as a 13 would be a real eye opener. This is another example of talent being log jammed within the provincial system. Guys like Whitten, Steenson and others who clearly have high skill sets and talent are lost to the system. Tommy Seymour is another case in point. Now, Michael Allen is leaving to join the diaspora. A quality centre who can't get games, except on the wing, for Ulster because of the log jam, should have been at least approached by Nucifora.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you think the players look at the FB page and bitch that there are more comments from other province's fans than theirs? :D

I was in Krystle the other night, got a high-five from Jordi Murphy because we're up to Leinster thread VI while Munster are only on IV.

True story.

I was in Krystle the other night, got a high-five from Jordi Murphy because we're up to Leinster thread VI while Munster are only on IV.

True story.

I hope you didn't tell him about the thread title(s)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Very excited to see how Kelleher and Reid do. Delighted Ruddock is back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high - a lot of these guys haven't played together so might be a bit stop start. But I think it'll be really interesting nonetheless.

Looking forward to McCloskey getting a run out in green, but I wish everyone well, hope they manage to function well as a unit and give Joe some headaches.

Advertisement