Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Barbarians, Thomond Pk, 28/05/15 19:45, Sky SP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Dave Kearney
    13. Colm O’Shea
    12. Luke Marshall
    11. Craig Gilroy
    10. Ian Madigan
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Dan Tuohy
    6. Robbie Diack
    7. Chris Henry
    8. Jamie Heaslip (captain)

Replacements:
    16. Rob Herring
    17. Michael Bent
    18. Mike Ross
    19. Ben Marshall
    20. Jordi Murphy
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Paddy Jackson
    23. Cian Kelleher

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I hoped to see Jackson at 10, to be honest.

Delighted for Luke, COS and CK.

And McCloskey somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah 10 is disappointing. I would have wanted PJ to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kelleher on the bench, wow.

RWC bolter?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't think this selection is reflective of where players stand in the pecking order.

I'm assuming the view is that Madigan needs gametime at 10 rather than he is ahead of PJ. Likewise Luke Marshall needs gametime more than McCloskey.

That said I'm still disapointed McCloskey isn't getting a game.

RWC bolter?!

no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In Joe we trust etc, but I don't get the need to play Ian at ten. Paddy needs a start and his form justifies it.

Delighted for the new caps though, great to see the fixture used to experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Revised Team

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-barbarians-leinster-nathan-hines-2127783-May2015/

5. Zane Kirchner (Leinster & South Africa)
    14. Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues & Wales)
    13. Joe Rokocoko (Bayonne & New Zealand)
    12. Wynand Olivier (Montpellier & South Africa)
    11. David Smith (Toulon)
    10. Jimmy Gopperth (Leinster)
    9. Ruan Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa)

1. Roberto Tejerizo (Tucuman & Argentina)
    2. Deon Fourie (Lyon)
    3. Adam Jones (Cardiff Blues & Wales)
    4. Rodrigo Capo Ortega (Castres & Uruguay)
    5. Konstantin Mikautadze (Toulon & Georgia)
    6. Shane Jennings (Leinster & Ireland, Captain)
    7. Gerhard Vosloo (Toulon)
    8. Ryu Koliniasi Holani (Panasonic Wild Knights & Japan)

Replacements:

16. David Ward (Harlequins)
    17. Saimone Taumoepeau (Castres & New Zealand)
    18. Matias Diaz (Pampas & Argentina)
    19. Nathan Hines (Sale Sharks & Scotland)
    20. George Smith (Lyon & Australia)
    21. Tomas Cubelli (Belgrano Ath & Argentina)
    22. Tusi Pisi (Suntory Sungoliath & Samoa)
    23. Gio Aplon (Grenoble & South Africa)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Big blow to Rhys Ruddock but I think there's some more outside the box thinking at work here given the likes of COS and Kelleher are involved and neither have any chance of being involved in September. Can't see him being in the 31 though if he's a) still not able to play a game or b) omitted from this panel as Diack is preferable to look at.

• Advertisement

Beanz!!

*buys ticket*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RWC bolter?!

They'd need to be re-defining the definition of bolter as that would take it to a whole other level.

What age is Kelleher?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What I like are the combinations and how the younger/fringe lads are being introduced. Furlong alongside McGrath and Strauss, O'Shea in a back line that all have international experience, Marshall off the bench and into a pack with plenty of experience and Kelleher into a back 3 with a good few caps too.

I think that's the logic of the Madigan selection too. I wanted PJ to start but when you look at the half-back pairings Reddan-Madigan and McGrath-Jackson make the most sense. Redser can help Mads out while PJ can help McGrath out.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

In Joe we trust etc, but I don't get the need to play Ian at ten. Paddy needs a start and his form justifies it.

In fairness, the Ulster lads who are starting are generally guys who haven't featured in all of their recent games: Gilroy, Tuohy and Marshall.

Henry is the only one that has and I would say Schmidt is very eager to get him as much time with the team as possible after being out for a long time.

Hinsey! Legend! The twitter campaign worked! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Its hard to judge that Irish team. I'm sure that there would be a lot more Ulster players starting if it wasn't for the 6 day turnaround. Big chances for COS and Kelleher to impress, as both are only provincial A-standard at present.

A big chance to Strauss too who has had a poor season. Herring should be very disappointed that his fellow country-man has gotten the nod ahead of him.

The last time there was a Lulster collaboration, the scoreline was very, very much in their favour...

The last time there was a Lulster collaboration, the scoreline was very, very much in their favour...

Sure there are 20 current or former Leinster players in the 2 squads, never mind Ulster. The game really should be moved to the RDS. :P

Casting the net out MG? Not bothered with a rod this week?

In fairness, an impressive amount in that last post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

So I guess Ruddock's omission could mean he's still not fully fit? I would assume if he was they'd be trying to get as much game time as possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

So I guess Ruddock's omission could mean he's still not fully fit? I would assume if he was they'd be trying to get as much game time as possible

he is in the emerging ireland squad for june

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rob Kearney and Jamie Heaslip shouldn't be playing this game in a fit, in a year like this every unnecessary game is foolhardy.

Madigan for 15, Jackson to 10 and anyone you like to play 8.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Rob Kearney and Jamie Heaslip shouldn't be playing this game in a fit, in a year like this every unnecessary game is foolhardy.

Madigan for 15, Jackson to 10 and anyone you like to play 8.

Conan at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Conan at 8

Indeed, deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think there is not doubt that Jackson is ahead of Madigan at 10, but Madigan needs a good run at 10. Delighted for Luke McGrath, but I thought McCloskey deserved to be somewhere on the sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

It's a non-capped game, but this is the first Ireland team of the Joe Schmidt era that doesn't include Mike Ross in the starting XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

It's a non-capped game, but this is the first Ireland team of the Joe Schmidt era that doesn't include Mike Ross in the starting XV.

#justice4rossy

I'm surprised there aren't more Munster in the team. I know their firsts are playing this weekend, but some of the lads that don't make that squad and academy guys are surely worth a shout given that Munster are the best team in the world right now, and the most prolific Irish team ever in the history of any sport.

Will they record POM singing the anthem during the week and play it at the same time as the rest of the lads are singing I wonder?

None of these lads going up against the Barbarians would get a whiff of interest from Toulouse, that's for sure.

Hope they have a cardboard cut out of Earls at the grounds. Would still have better rucking stats than any of the ladyboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Bit disappointed not to see McCloskey involved, not sure the point of COS starting, he's never going to be an option at test level. Some combination of McCloskey, Reid and Marshall at 12/13 would've been ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Would have liked to have seen McCloskey named, but hopefully the training camp has given him a taste for the national setup and he's come away with some work-ons that will help his game.

Advertisement