Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If that idiot Cameron withdraws the UK from the ECHR then NI will be in quite the pickle, as part of the GFA referendum was to make legislation north and south of the border subject to ECHR.

Is that enough acronyms for one post? :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If that idiot Cameron withdraws the UK from the ECHR then NI will be in quite the pickle, as part of the GFA referendum was to make legislation north and south of the border subject to ECHR.

Is that enough acronyms for one post? :pac:

I think there is a legal argument that the existence of the GFA would actually prevent Camoron from repealing the HRA and withdrawing for the jurisdiction of the ECHR. I have not read the GFA but I believe their are some explicit references to the HRA and repealing it would be troublesome. There might also be an issue with Scotland and Wales to, again related to devolution.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think there is a legal argument that the existence of the GFA would actually prevent Camoron from repealing the HRA and withdrawing for the jurisdiction of the ECHR. I have not read the GFA but I believe their are some explicit references to the HRA and repealing it would be troublesome. There might also be an issue with Scotland and Wales to, again related to devolution.

MrP

ECHR is explicitly mentioned in the text

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/today/good_friday/full_text.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Specified under "Safeguards"....
    (b) the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and any Bill of Rights for Northern Ireland supplementing it, which neither the Assembly nor public bodies can infringe, together with a Human Rights Commission;
    (c) arrangements to provide that key decisions and legislation are proofed to ensure that they do not infringe the ECHR and any Bill of Rights for Northern Ireland;
    Nobody can argue against that, its pretty clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Complaints to the BAI.
    The complaint concerns an interview with Mr. David Quinn, of The Iona Institute on Newstalk Breakfast, which is the broadcaster’s weekday news and current affairs programme broadcast each morning from 7am – 10am.

2. Complaint Category

The complaint is submitted under the Broadcasting Act 2009, Section 48(1)(a)(fairness, objectivity and impartiality in current affairs); the BAI Code of Fairness, Objectivity and Impartiality (Section 4: Rules 4.3 and 4.25).

3. Complaint Summary

The complainant states that during an interview on the Marriage Referendum with Mr. David Quinn of The Iona Institute, the presenter went beyond his remit as ‘Devil’s Advocate’.

The complainant states the following:

During the opening minutes of the interview the presenter posed the question “David Quinn, a founder of The Iona Institute, do you have a problem with gay people?” The complainant states that she found this invidious and unfair and left Mr. Quinn having to deny he was homophobic.

Mr. Quinn was also asked about a tweet he had written regarding the pregnancy announcement of a gay work colleague of the programme presenter. The complainant claims this presented a conflict of interest, given the presenter’s working relationshipwith the lady in question.

The complainant states that at one point the presenter stated “we’re looking at your credentials” which the complainant found demeaning and gave the impression that Mr. Quinn’s credibility was in question.

The presenter referenced archived material written by Mr. Quinn pertaining to the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching on the reception of communion for members who had civilly divorced and entered into second relationships. The complainant questions the introduction of this material during this interview on the impending referendum.

Rejected unanimously.

Another complaint about TV3's coverage from the George was also rejected.
    The complainant states that the programme was, in his opinion, more of a party celebrating the ‘Yes’ result than fair, objective and impartial coverage of the results as they came in. He states that the programme was overwhelmingly orientated towards the ‘Yes’ side of the campaign. He states that maybe some 'No' campaigners were invited but considering the setup and venue, it is not surprising they didn't attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Complaints to the BAI.

Rejected unanimously.

Another complaint about TV3's coverage from the George was also rejected.

You lost , get over it for God's sake . Enough is enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

We're not homophobic!
    He states that maybe some 'No' campaigners were invited but considering the setup and venue, it is not surprising they didn't attend.

Go where the gays are? Not a chance!

We're not homophobic!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A senior Greek prelate releases a special christmas message to gays and atheists - you should be spat on, you should be beaten until black and anyway, you're not even human.

The comments of the prelate - who wears a silly black hat together with a fantastic white beard in a remote monastery full of men - haven't been universally praised.

http://www.pappaspost.com/greek-orthodox-metropolitan-lashes-out-against-gays-spit-on-them-beat-them-up-they-are-not-human/

robindch wrote: »
    A senior Greek prelate releases a special christmas message to gays and atheists - you should be spat on, you should be beaten until black and anyway, you're not even human.

Wasn't it last year a prominent Irish RC bishop said atheists weren't fully human?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wasn't it last year a prominent Irish RC bishop said atheists weren't fully human?
    That was Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Conner - in 2009 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

marienbad wrote: »
    You lost , get over it for God's sake . Enough is enough .

'The Whine That Went On Forever', to paraphrase a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

We need to get some biologists on the case, I think we've found a form of life that can sustain itself solely on sour grapes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you won't know of SpunOut.ie they are a youth organisation and they were in the headlines a few years ago due to an article they had on their site about threesomes.

Anyway, they have apparently annoyed Dave due to how frequently the word 'gay' shows up in their search results. Yes, really.

https://twitter.com/Humanisticus/status/677600383259275264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Spunout us a mental health website correct?

Maybe if David and friends weren't trying to prevent some groups having the same rights as everyone else there wouldn't be a need for those groups to have mental health topics aimed at them.

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=4220#.VnQj8WY3uvA.twitter

I mean... this is... this is the scrawling and rationale of a madman. I'm not even joking, he's gone crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

robindch wrote: »

The comments of the prelate - who wears a silly black hat together with a fantastic white beard in a remote monastery full of men - haven't been universally praised.

http://www.pappaspost.com/greek-orthodox-metropolitan-lashes-out-against-gays-spit-on-them-beat-them-up-they-are-not-human/

While his comments are ..amazingly unChristian and pretty horrible, it's moderately entertaining reading that with Google Translate. It gives rise to such gems as;

"Well, these xeftylismenous, spit them! Apodokimaste them! Their tan! There are people! It freaks of nature! Mentally and spiritually suffer! They are people with a mental disorder! Unfortunately, these are three-has-stringent and far more dangerous than some, living in trellokomeia! Do not hesitate, then! When and where you meet them, spit them! Do not let them lift head! It's dangerous! The Church prays for them as follows: "Ekleipoien sinners from the earth, and wicked, so non yparchein them" (Psalm 103)."

Fortunately, I don't even know -how- to apodokimaste someone, so they're probably safe from me. As are their tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Samaris wrote: »
    While his comments are ..amazingly unChristian and pretty horrible, it's moderately entertaining reading that with Google Translate. It gives rise to such gems as;

"Well, these xeftylismenous, spit them! Apodokimaste them! Their tan! There are people! It freaks of nature! Mentally and spiritually suffer! They are people with a mental disorder! Unfortunately, these are three-has-stringent and far more dangerous than some, living in trellokomeia! Do not hesitate, then! When and where you meet them, spit them! Do not let them lift head! It's dangerous! The Church prays for them as follows: "Ekleipoien sinners from the earth, and wicked, so non yparchein them" (Psalm 103)."

Fortunately, I don't even know -how- to apodokimaste someone, so they're probably safe from me. As are their tans.

Oh....kay. Hmm. Well, I can probably live without knowing what Ekleipoiening people is, and I don't want to learn how to non yparchein, but trellokomeia sounds it could be a fun venue for three?

That's the best google translate I've ever heard of, apart from the one when a woman I met called Moll got translated as signing herself "prostitute" in (I think) Italian when booking a holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shrap wrote: »
    Oh....kay. Hmm. Well, I can probably live without knowing what Ekleipoiening people is, and I don't want to learn how to non yparchein, but trellokomeia sounds it could be a fun venue for three?

That's the best google translate I've ever heard of, apart from the one when a woman I met called Moll got translated as signing herself "prostitute" in (I think) Italian when booking a holiday home.

Hah, that's brilliant (in a "oh, seriously, Google?" way). I have various friends with different languages who often write on Facebook in Finnish/Swedish, etc., though, and the Google translates never fail to entertain me hugely (I'm easily entertained).

On another note, apparently apodokimaste (Αποδοκιμάστε) should mean "disapprove".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

seamus wrote: »

That bigoted archbishop is going to be so butthurt. :D

EDIT: On further inspection, Greece has legalised same-sex civil unions, not marriage equality. http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0U52HA20151223?irpc=932

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Samaris wrote: »
    I have various friends with different languages who often write on Facebook in Finnish/Swedish, etc., though, and the Google translates never fail to entertain me hugely (I'm easily entertained).

I, too, am easily entertained. I get a great kick out of a friend of mine's texts. He's dyslexic and speaks his texts into the phone with hilarious results. I often have to phone him back to tell me what he really meant, but they're fierce funny.

Shrap wrote: »
    I, too, am easily entertained. I get a great kick out of a friend of mine's texts. He's dyslexic and speaks his texts into the phone with hilarious results. I often have to phone him back to tell me what he really meant, but they're fierce funny.

Oh god, those speech-to-text things! I was using one a few years ago and it -hated- my accent! I don't know why it took so strongly against me; while I have an Irish accent, it's not strong. I had this conversation with it;

Me: El Nino.
    Word doc: although
    Me: (enunciating carefully) El Nino
    Word: menial
    Me: *sigh* El. Ni-no.
    Me: *repressing irritated noise* El. Ni. No.
    Word: L Ennio
    Me: That isn't even a word!
    Word: it is a word
    Me: ...

Swearing at it resulted in "April". I gave up on it around then.

Iiii have a feeling I've totally zoomed off topic. So, those male strippers then!

Dr Robert L. Spitzer, an influential psychiatrist, has died at 83.
    His most lasting legacy may have been his successful effort to stop treating homosexuality as an illness.

~

In 2012, Dr. Spitzer publicly apologized for a 2001 study he authored claiming that so-called reparative therapy — which is aimed at changing gay people's sexual orientation — could be successful. In an interview with The New York Times, he described the study as "the only regret I have; the only professional one."

Source

Washington Post piece is worth a read, also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/rome-lgbt-rights-2564509-Jan2016/
    THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE marched in Italian cities yesterday to demand legal recognition for gay couples and their children, days before lawmakers begin addressing the deeply divisive issue.

Italy is the only major Western European country not to have enacted civil union legislation allowing same-sex couples to have their relationships acknowledged and protected in law.

A bill, which the Senate will start examining on Thursday, is the first to get to parliament.

Hundreds of thousands are expected to attend the self-styled “Family Day”, organised by mainly Catholic groups under the battle cry of “Defend our Children”.

Angelo Bagnasco, the chair of the Italian conference of bishops, has denounced the whole debate as a “grave and irresponsible distraction from the real problems of the country”.

Yeah, I mean equality issues aren't important at all!
    :rolleyes:

If this passes its really going to be a nail in the coffin for the catholic church's control,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Reading Bertie's children this morning and its very insightful that every single one of them would have voted yes in the marriage equality vote in May had they been 18 at the time,

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/bertie-s-children-what-the-18-year-olds-of-ireland-think-1.2507038

When asked if they were interested in politics they all referred to the marriage equality vote as being a big thing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/rome-lgbt-rights-2564509-Jan2016/

Yeah, I mean equality issues aren't important at all!
    :rolleyes:

If this passes its really going to be a nail in the coffin for the catholic church's control,
    the battle cry of “Defend our Children”.

They're going the classy route by the looks of things.

I would have thought it'd be more important to defend our children from the Catholic Church, not with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Penn wrote: »
    I would have thought it'd be more important to defend our children from the Catholic Church, not with them...

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yawn

Yawn

Damn, yawns are contagious!

• Advertisement

Why do people follow and read this forum if they claim to find it so boring?? I can think of a few...

Advertisement