Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh dear, the Koch brothers have been funding quite a lot of anti-LGBT groups, as well as anti-abortion and anti-contraception groups. This will probably come as a shock to nobody considering how much they have their grubby fingers in already, but it's great to see where the money is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Vicky Thompson, a transgender woman who was sent to a all-male prison, has been found dead in her cell. She had previously threatened to commit suicide if she was sent to an all-male prison. (HuffPo)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/svp-stands-down-committee-after-lgbt-centre-allocation-1.2437329

SVP stands down committee after LGBT centre allocation
    Catholic Bishop of Galway had objected to funding for ‘morally wrong behaviour’

He's such a hate filled little man,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Vicky Thompson, a transgender woman who was sent to a all-male prison, has been found dead in her cell. She had previously threatened to commit suicide if she was sent to an all-male prison. (HuffPo)

I'm going to not pick here but the article said its a male prison with 1200 violent prisoners. Leeds prison is a category B prison which is not a Max security one. To say they are all violent is a bit OTT.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That is heartbreaking, but not surprising, and I wish that wasn't the case. Trans people suffer extreme abuse in custody, and it is a very serious issue, yet in a lot of places they're still throwing women into men's prisons regardless of the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Am I the only one that missed this?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Links234 wrote: »
    That is heartbreaking, but not surprising, and I wish that wasn't the case. Trans people suffer extreme abuse in custody, and it is a very serious issue, yet in a lot of places they're still throwing women into men's prisons regardless of the consequences.
    what about this transgender woman, male or female prison?

2Y2CNxk.jpg

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/11/17/today-im-saying-goodbye-to-my-old-self/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pH wrote: »
    I’m coming out publicly today as a transgender woman.
    The new name I have chosen is Danielle, and I’m keeping my last name. I intend to transition in the near future.

Woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MrPudding wrote: »
    Am I the only one that missed this?

MrP

I haven't heard David Quinn's head explode so I presume most people have missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"The St Vincent de Paul Society (SVP) has stood down a Galway fund committee that last year allocated €45,000 to a resource centre for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Galway.
    The move follows a disagreement over governance arrangements between the SVP at national and local level."
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/20/vincent-frown/

Belt of the Crozier?

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Woman.

I respect you standing up for what you believe in, but it only makes me respect the Germaine Greers of the world even more, who would fight for the rights of incarcerated women not to be forced to share a cell and a showerblock with Danielle.

Here's Danielle one year later on stage (as it happens she's the primary cause of setting up an autistic man for a social media witchhunt because of his "racism" regarding MU - but that's for another thread)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfXKQyHuleA

I'm glad the main opposition to this is coming from the radical feminist movement (TERFs) who see this as just another example where "male privilege" trumps the rights of women.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/09/lucy-mangan-terf-war

On a tangential note - how does the 2015 trans commmunity view the portrayal of Klinger in the TV series M*A*S*H?

I respect you standing up for what you believe in, but it only makes me respect the Germaine Greers of the world even more, who would fight for the rights of incarcerated women not to be forced to share a cell and a showerblock with Danielle.

Here's Danielle one year later on stage (as it happens she's the primary cause of setting up an autistic man for a social media witchhunt because of his "racism" regarding MU - but that's for another thread)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfXKQyHuleA

I think it's absolutely bonkers that anyone believes that if any man says "I'm a woman" they can serve their time in a women's prison.

I'm glad the main opposition to this is coming from the radical feminist movement (TERFs) who see this as just another example where "male privilege" trumps the rights of women.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/09/lucy-mangan-terf-war

On a tangential note - how does the 2015 trans commmunity view the portrayal of Klinger in the TV series M*A*S*H?

Danielle's activities are not material. According to Irish law If she identifies as female then she is female therefore should not be placed in a men's prison.

As for radical feminists they can kiss my privileged white dyke arse - I had enough of their thought police activities in the 1980s and see no reason to regret that decision. This is the same bunch that didn't want lesbians involved in 'their' movement in the 70s and shunned lesbians for the 'crime' of having a male child.

I think you may have missed the whole point of what Klinger was doing btw not to mention that 'the trans community' are not Borg and do not have a hive mind.

Danielle's activities are not material. According to Irish law If she identifies as female then she is female therefore should not be placed in a men's prison.

As for radical feminists they can kiss my privileged white dyke arse - I had enough of their thought police activities in the 1980s and see no reason to regret that decision. This is the same bunch that didn't want lesbians involved in 'their' movement in the 70s and shunned lesbians for the 'crime' of having a male child.

I think you may have missed the whole point of what Klinger was doing btw not to mention that 'the trans community' are not Borg and do not have a hive mind.

I don't think I missed the whole point of Klinger, he was a man who dressed as a woman because be believed that would ultimately be to his advantage in that he'd be sent home from Korea. Whilst it was a comedy, made years ago, and it doesn't "prove" anything, if there was an option for any man who put on a dress and said "I'm a woman" to be transferred to a woman's prison I can't believe there would be anyone left in Mountjoy a week later

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...any man who put on a dress and said "I'm a woman"...

You do know how transphobic that sounds, right?

I don't think I missed the whole point of Klinger, he was a man who dressed as a woman because be believed that would ultimately be to his advantage in that he'd be sent home from Korea. Whilst it was a comedy, made years ago, and it doesn't "prove" anything, if there was an option for any man who put on a dress and said "I'm a woman" to be transferred to a woman's prison I can't believe there would be anyone left in Mountjoy a week later

Are you accidentally being offensive or are you one of the 'gee, if I say I'm a woman I can go into the girl's changing room' brigade?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You do know how transphobic that sounds, right?

I know how transphobic you'd like to make it sound.

You know I'm talking about men like Klinger who are attempting to game a system, your attempt to sling mud is pathetic.

You know I'm talking about men like Klinger who are attempting to game a system, your attempt to sling mud is pathetic.

Said the person referencing a TV program whose last episode was made in 1983 and was set in the 1950s and is claiming that is relevant to the tragic case of a woman who appears to have committed suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Interesting. A while ago, you put up a photo of someone who wishes to be a woman, who does not come across as "gaming a system", who is not (in fact) being sent to prison but who you presumably put up as an example for us to marvel at how she could ever be considered a woman. As an objective observer, I can tell you that it's you who's managing to sling mud here, but mostly at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

if there was an option for any man who put on a dress and said "I'm a woman" to be transferred to a woman's prison I can't believe there would be anyone left in Mountjoy a week later
    That's why the option doesn't exist though.

I see what you're saying and it was always a valid concern - that some people may attempt to "game the system" - life sentence male prisoners being one of them.

But the system isn't that simple. Although the application to change gender is self-signing, the state can refuse the application if the minister isn't satisified that the application is genuine.
    There is also an appeals procedure in place so prison authorities can appeal a decision and a judge can force the minister to reconsider the application.

So there won't be any "pretend" women in women's prisons. If a male prisoner becomes female (and it will happen) and gets reassigned to a women's prison, it will only be after the minister for social protection and the prison authorities have deemed the reassignment to be valid.

In any case, isolation is always an option if the authorities don't think they can guarantee the safety of a prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Next thing you know, women will be pretending to be suicidal just so they can have that abortion they have always wanted.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The feminist lgbt "alliance" I find curious. At the heart of feminism ( the crazy kind) seems to a denial of any difference between the male brain and the female brain yet I think it would be fair to say differences in brain wiring is an important anchor for the lgbt movement.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    The feminist lgbt "alliance" I find curious. At the heart of feminism ( the crazy kind) seems to a denial of any difference between the male brain and the female brain yet I think it would be fair to say differences in brain wiring is an important anchor for the lgbt movement.

Extremists gonna extreme.

Some of the men's rights groups are homophobic while also insisting men are just 'better' in every way then women- well surely ya wanna shag the best you can get :p

Besides - like the Trans Community, feminism and LGBT have utterly failed to construct a Hive Mind so the whole thing is a bit more nuanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Extremists gonna extreme.

Some of the men's rights groups are homophobic while also insisting men are just 'better' in every way then women- well surely ya wanna shag the best you can get :p

Besides - like the Trans Community, feminism and LGBT have utterly failed to construct a Hive Mind so the whole thing is a bit more nuanced.

Lies....always the lies.

Nodin wrote: »
    Lies....always the lies.

True - I got banned from the Hive Mind and now I'm bitter. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Cabaal wrote: »

Met the man and had a chat with him, didn't find him to be hate filled.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah, I'm sure he's all about the peace, love and acceptance that his religion claims to stand for.

Meanwhile you have to remember to hate the gheys

Hate is a strong word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Perhaps you're not one of the lesser "morally wrong" people.
    Hate is a strong word.

But not an inappropriate one, considering. I'm near sure that the man doesn't actually think he's hating anyone, but in any case it's the effect rather than the intention that is hateful. And if he's unaware of that, then he's ignorant. Which is also a strong word, but appropriate.

I can't speak for him but I would think he disapproves of the lifestyle not the person, as a RC clergyman I wouldn't expect anything else.

• Advertisement

I can't speak for him but I would think he disapproves of the lifestyle not the person, as a RC clergyman I wouldn't expect anything else.

By 'the lifestyle' are you referring to coke and same-sex hookers?

Advertisement