Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I doubt it had anything to do with common sense. There was a backlash from all quarters and now the judge can loudly proclaim that he was persecuted by liberals instead of having to suffer an embarrassing reversal by an appeals court.

Never heard of Sappho before. Did she invent the strapon?

Sappho is where we get the word sapphic from, and if you haven't heard of that word before then I genuinely feel sorry for you and all the hours of marvellous internet-based "entertainment" that you must have missed out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Sappho is where we get the word sapphic from, and if you haven't heard of that word before then I genuinely feel sorry for you and all the hours of marvellous internet-based "entertainment" that you must have missed out on.

To google or not to google...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Cabaal wrote: »

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/16/a-sacrament-of-sodomy/

There you go everyone, its a mortal sin for anybody to be ok with marriage equality or to vote for it

Oh sure Frank O'Meara is famous for his Clare Champion letters. Google him. Some choice letters going waaay back, covering all the bases such as victim blaming in rape cases (girls should realise boys aren't archangels, but are weak humans. Co-ed during puberty and subversive sex ed, both condemned by the Pope are also blamed, with divorce and TV right up there on his list of abominations as well), irreverence during the Eurovision, abortion being "murder of the foulest possible kind", etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Cabaal wrote: »

"Female sodomy"!? Is that what lesbians do? I'm afraid Frank has got a bit mixed up, and doesn't really know what "sodomy" means. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

fisgon wrote: »
    "Female sodomy"!? Is that what lesbians do? I'm afraid Frank has got a bit mixed up, and doesn't really know what "sodomy" means. :)

or "pagan" or "history" or "Lesbian"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

fisgon wrote: »

He certainly likes using the word "sodomy" though. Maybe he constantly rolls it around on his tongue in private and using it four times in a letter is the only way he can let it out in public. Probably does the same with the word "fornication".

I'm picturing him in a damask papered room, surrounded by his wife's chintzy soft furnishings and porcelain figurines, drumming his fingers to the rhythm of the word "sodomy" bouncing off the walls of his mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

oldrnwisr wrote: »

I honestly haven't. Well, you learn something new every day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Shrap wrote: »
    He certainly likes using the word "sodomy" though.
    So does Popette - yes, she is a real character - so much so, that barely a conversation goes by without her introducing the term. "Sodomite" is another favourite - I suspect for the sheer sound of it - one can almost see the pungent moral indignation rising from the word as though it were smoke.

robindch wrote: »
    So does Popette - yes, she is a real character - so much so, that barely a conversation goes by without her introducing the term. "Sodomite" is another favourite - I suspect for the sheer sound of it - one can almost see the pungent moral indignation rising from the word as though it were smoke.

Have you ever considered playing Popette Bingo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I still remember with fondness the pack of the wife-swapping sodomites.

Showing my age, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shrap wrote: »
    He certainly likes using the word "sodomy" though.

It's because he can use the word "sodomy" to highlight how the Bible is opposed to male-male sex, but there's nothing in the Bible actually against female-female sex, so he has to try sneak it in under sodomy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Penn wrote: »
    It's because he can use the word "sodomy" to highlight how the Bible is opposed to male-male sex, but there's nothing in the Bible actually against female-female sex, so he has to try sneak it in under sodomy too.
    Trivial fact of the day: The word :"sodomy" does not appear in the Bible. The word dates only from about the sixth century CE. It can be used to mean any kind of sex you disapprove of. In English it commonly refers to anal sex but can extend to oral sex also. In French and Spanish, it refers only to anal sex. In German and Polish, only to bestiality. In Norwegian, to anal sex or bestiality, but not to oral sex.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Trivial fact of the day: The word :"sodomy" does not appear in the Bible. The word dates only from about the sixth century CE. It can be used to mean any kind of sex you disapprove of. In English it commonly refers to anal sex but can extend to oral sex also. In French and Spanish, it refers only to anal sex. In German and Polish, only to bestiality. In Norwegian, to anal sex or bestiality, but not to oral sex.

All I can say it's a good thing I am not writing the Annual Lesbian Pub Quiz this year or some of the questions would be right buggers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Have you ever considered playing Popette Bingo?
    Games one can lose are usually more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Mock Frank all you want but he's no bandwagon-hopping newbie when it comes to being agin' The Gays.

From 2004 in the same paper.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2004/0301/ireland/ignoring-the-laws-of-god-and-nature-252956970.html

If only we'd listened to him we'd not have a storm raging across our Holy Catholic Ireland as we let all sorts marry all sorts today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I still remember with fondness the pack of the wife-swapping sodomites.

Showing my age, I guess.

I was about 10 feet from her when she shouted that. Was the highlight of the whole count :D

Mock Frank all you want but he's no bandwagon-hopping newbie when it comes to being agin' The Gays.

From 2004 in the same paper.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2004/0301/ireland/ignoring-the-laws-of-god-and-nature-252956970.html

If only we'd listened to him we'd not have a storm raging across our Holy Catholic Ireland as we let all sorts marry all sorts today!

Oh he goes waaaay back. Here's one from 1999:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/abortion-people-must-decide-26260931.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

It's incredible that it took 6 months for gay marriage to come into effect considering we democratically voted for it back in May. Compare this to the single day back in March when Ecstacy and a few other drugs were declared legal because of some loophole and the Government passed legislation to fix that up overnight even though the people of Ireland weren't consulted on the issue.

Now I understand the situations are different and I hold my hand up and admit that I don't really know how things work in the Dail or when it comes to the law (don't think politicians know half the time either and they certainly don't want average Joe or Mary knowing). But it just seems they can get things done much more swiftly when they want to, less than 24 hours to pass something without public approval v 6 months with public approval is a pretty stark difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It's incredible that it took 6 months for gay marriage to come into effect considering we democratically voted for it back in May. Compare this to the single day back in March when Ecstacy and a few other drugs were declared legal because of some loophole and the Government passed legislation to fix that up overnight even though the people of Ireland weren't consulted on the issue.

Now I understand the situations are different and I hold my hand up and admit that I don't really know how things work in the Dail or when it comes to the law (don't think politicians know half the time either and they certainly don't want average Joe or Mary knowing). But it just seems they can get things done much more swiftly when they want to, less than 24 hours to pass something without public approval v 6 months with public approval is a pretty stark difference.

It would have been sooner but some people wanted to drag it out with objections in the courts.

• Advertisement

The constitution is a framework. The referendum changed that framework. Once it was passed they had to draft legislation and let it go through normal processes - committee, both houses, etc. Emergency legislation can be fast tracked once it doesn't require constitutional change. This wasn't emergency and it was right to allow it go through the normal process.

On top of that, as Riverbeast said, it would have only taken three months but for those 2 knobs who challenged it repeatedly.

Ok I understand what you's are saying and cheers for the replies, the 2 things which I find funny though are 1) how anybody can challenge and successfully hold up a decision that was made by the majority of Irish people when that decision doesn't violate human rights, in fact it actually extended them. 2) Who gets to decide what qualifies as 'emergency legislation' anyway and who gave them to power to make that decision?

All just seems a little too heavily stacked in the government's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

How long did it take to ensure we protected pregnant women whose lives were at risk?

lazygal wrote: »
    How long did it take to ensure we protected pregnant women whose lives were at risk?

Shamefully they still haven't properly righted that wrong and they'll continue to avoid it until they're forced to the very edge of the plank.

People's lives and freedom of choice aren't as important to politicians as getting elected, never have been and never will be, but that's a failing of the people also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Orion wrote: »
    The constitution is a framework. The referendum changed that framework. Once it was passed they had to draft legislation and let it go through normal processes - committee, both houses, etc. Emergency legislation can be fast tracked once it doesn't require constitutional change. This wasn't emergency and it was right to allow it go through the normal process.

On top of that, as Riverbeast said, it would have only taken three months but for those 2 knobs who challenged it repeatedly.

Ironic that same sex marriage should be delayed by two knobs coming together. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I love him, he's a good laugh

I really like this,
    Whenever governments ignore the laws of God and nature, disaster follows; and a condom culture is fast becoming a disaster.

So is that why teenage birthrates are at their lowest since BEFORE the 1960's?

Condoms were illegal until 1990's and 90% of the country was god fearing Catholics in the 1970's so how could that be????

Pregnant teenagers even though sex before marriage caused you to be burned in hell.. that can't be!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's because all them teens are having abortions at the abortion multicomplex ferries.

Turtwig wrote: »
    That's because all them teens are having abortions at the abortion multicomplex ferries.

Don't forget the murdering abortionist socalled 'doctors' are all sodomite athiest Islams.
    I read that in a letter in the Ballynovena Gazette so I know it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Don't forget the murdering abortionist socalled 'doctors' are all sodomite athiest Islams.
    I read that in a letter in the Ballynovena Gazette so I know it's true.

And communists.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    And communists.

Oh.My.Dog:eek:

It's all been a plot by the Reds all along hasn't it!

Advertisement