Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Banbha32 wrote: »
    Thats Slovenia added to the list with same sex marriage becoming legal as of today :) (And Finland next week) Quite significant this one as it becomes the first country in Eastern Europe to allow for same sex marriage! :D And Taiwan is also due this year being the first in Asia.

I wonder who else will follow, Germany being an obvious one with Martin Schultz this week putting it down as one of his main objectives and is favourite to take over from Merkel who herself is against same sex marriage. Hopefully the French can keep out Marine Le Pen who is adament on removing same sex marriage in France. Interesting times ahead but great to see progress in unexpected places nonetheless i love seeing a new country added to the map :)

http://www.politico.eu/article/slovenia-allows-same-sex-marriage/

Pity about the adoption thing but small steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Taiwan just became the first country in Asia to recognise same sex marriage in its top court. So hopefully equal marriage is imminent there after todays ruling. Following in the footsteps of Finland and Slovenia already this year :) A big step for Asia though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Taiwan just became the first Asian country to legalise same sex marriage today! Following in the footsteps of Finland and Slovenia already this year :) A big step for Asia though!

The Taiwanese; a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Taiwan just became the first Asian country to legalise same sex marriage today! Following in the footsteps of Finland and Slovenia already this year :) A big step for Asia though!
    Not quite yet.

The Taiwanese supreme court ruled that current laws restricting marriage to heterosexual couples is inequal and unconstitutional, but it gave parliament two years to amend existing laws or come up with new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Info sourced from The Outmost popped up on a Ceilte [mapping lgbt heritage in Ireland] F/B page. The Outmost reported that the Church of Ireland General Synod 2017 rejected pro-gay marriage motion, showing north/south divide. The wording below is true copy of The Outmost report as posted on the Ceilte page. None of the wording is of my invention or bias....

The 2017 General Synod was held in South Court Hotel, Limerick

Source: The Outmost, 08 May 2017.

General Synod members of the Church of Ireland voted against a motion which would mitigate the organisation’s less than inclusive attitude towards same-sex marriages.

Following a two-hour discussion on the motion, it failed to gain acceptance with Synod members voting to reject the motion by 176 to 146 votes.

Notably, a clear divide between north and south members of the Synod arose. Nearly all speakers against the motion hailed from Northern Ireland, while the majority of support for the motion came from Church of Ireland clergy from the Republic of Ireland.

Northern Ireland’s DUP has continued to block the legalisation of same-sex marriage, making Ireland’s neighbour to the north the last country in the UK to make legal provision for it.

Dr Leo Kilroy

Proposed by Wicklow-based Dr Leo Kilroy, the motion called for the Church of Ireland to create “sensitive pastoral arrangements for public prayer and thanksgiving with same-sex couples” at important times in their lives, like marriage.

“Many of your brothers and sisters in our Church are lesbian and gay,” Dr Kilroy said.

“Advances in civic society in recent years have seen LGBT people achieve many rights and legal protections… But many lesbian and gay people continue [to] feel gravely hurt by the church.”

“The motion is not asking for marriage in the Church. I understand that many of you hold the Church’s definition of marriage dearly.

“This motion is careful to protect Canon 31. It is simply calling for permission to develop ways to publicly and pastorally support and celebrate lesbian and gay people at important times in their lives.”

“Narrow-Minded Bigot”

The motion also requested recognition from the church of “injury felt by members who enter into loving, committed and legally recognised same-sex relationships, due to the absence of provision for them, to mark that key moment in their lives publicly and prayerfully in church.”

Those who spoke for the motion cited the pain which LGBT people suffer as a result of the Church’s lack of provision

Reverend Alison Calvin from the diocese of Kilmore felt it was unfair that because of her firmly held religious beliefs she was portrayed as “a narrow-minded bigot”.

Another person in opposition to the motion, Canon Maurice Elliott of the Down and Dromore diocese contended that the motion would prove “immensely detrimental”.

Link.... https://www.facebook.com/ceiltemap/?hc_ref=ADS&ft

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hopefully religious groups will continue to reject modern societal norms, resulting in them becoming more and more marginalised, and eventually they will be consigned to history where they belong.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I got to musing about my last and realised that while it was the COI all-Ireland synod, the vote result might be felt or seen slightly differently south of the border as against north of the border where the same-sex marriage ban applies across the religious divide. I wondered on how the percentage vote was gained, to find there are approx 260,000 COI members in N/Ireland V 130,000 in the Republic [figures are fluid].

I reckon it might be presumptuous of me to assume the N/I percentage of the vote was more NO than YES in the vote, though COI membership numbers in ratio to the two civil law-zones may tend to provide a basis for such a presumption. :)

Australia has legalized same-sex civil marriage. I didin't keep up to date on what would happen after the postal-vote referendum. I believed the hype [fake news] from it's opponents that it would take a while before the parliamentarians ther would follow up on the citizens. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/celebrations-in-australian-parliament-as-same-sex-marriage-legalised-1.3318771

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Austria also now has marriage equality following a court ruling

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Australian MP proposes to his boyfriend in parliament following legalization of same-sex marriage.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Our campaign went very well. How about revoking it and running it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Australian MP proposes to his boyfriend in parliament following legalization of same-sex marriage.:)

Attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Attention seeking.

Cynic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Attention seeking.

I'm glad people have reached a point where they're comfortable with themselves. I look forward to the day Northern Ireland has marriage equality. Sure, Arlene wants the same laws as the rest of the UK. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

]

Aw that was gorgeous :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Attention seeking.

A unionist with bigoted views?? Who'd have thunk it.

Attention seeking.

Has he no shame? - No, he's proud, having woken up from mind imprisonment.

Bermuda the first country to repeal Marriage Equality, move to a Civil Partnership type scenario

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/11/bermuda-going-re-ban-sex-marriage-7150707/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bahamas the first country to repeal Marriage Equality, move to a Civil Partnership type scenario
    Nitpick: I think you mean Bermuda.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nitpick: I think you mean Bermuda.

I had bermuda and changed it!

• Advertisement

That's pretty depressing. :( If rights can be given, then they can they can be taken away again also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That's pretty depressing. :( If rights can be given, then they can they can be taken away again also.
    It was introduced as a result of a court judgment in Bermuda. I believe it never enjoyed popular support, or support among the political establishment. The court gave its judgment in a context in which Bermuda had neither marriage equality nor civil unions, on the basis that the absense of both infringed the rights of same-sex-attracted people. Since the court couldn't legislate for civil unions, it simply struck out the provisions of the marriage legislation which confined marriage to opposite-sex couples.

The legislature's response has now been to introduce civil unions and, on the argument that the rights of same-sex couples are adequately protected by that, to restore the "straights only!" language to the marriage legislation.

There will, I suspect, be another court case to determine whether the "separate-but-equal" approach of having civil unions for gays and marriage for straights is a sufficient vindication of the rights of gays. So the story may not be finished quite yet.

There are other online references to the change-back. It seems the Queen's governor has to sign the act [the domestic partnership act] into law first. I don't know if that's been done yet.

http://www.towleroad.com/2017/12/bermuda-gay-marriage-2/

Bermuda’s Senate today approved a bill that will take marriage rights away from gay people, following the House’s approval earlier this week. All that remains is for the governor to sign it.
    The AP reports:
    Senators approved the Domestic Partnership Act by an 8-3 vote. The House of Assembly approved it 24-10 on Friday. It must now be signed by the governor before it becomes law in the Atlantic ocean territory.
    A Supreme Court ruling in May made same-sex marriages legal in Bermuda amid opposition on the socially conservative island. The ruling Progressive Labor Party took up the matter after winning power in the July election.
    The Supreme Court of Bermuda legalized same-sex marriage last May in a case brought by Toronto-based Bermudian and Canadian gay couple, Winston Godwin and Greg DeRoche (above), who preferred to marry in Godwin’s home country Bermuda.

Some of the original laws etc on marriage in Bermuda...

Bermuda marriage act 1944.... http://www.bermudalaws.bm/Laws/Consolidated%20Laws/Marriage%20Act%201944.pdf

Bermuda marriages for residents, visitors and passengers... http://www.bermuda-online.org/marriages.htm

Re the above post, Bermuda passed the change in law a few days ago...

I was a bit surprised to read that even after some years passing, that local politicians have a dislike for the degree that same-sex couples have in equality in law with opposite sex-couples.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fil-councillor-quits-after-row-over-comments-about-same-sex-couples-36582260.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

aloyisious wrote: »
    Re the above post, Bermuda passed the change in law a few days ago...

I was a bit surprised to read that even after some years passing, that local politicians have a dislike for the degree that same-sex couples have in equality in law with opposite sex-couples.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fil-councillor-quits-after-row-over-comments-about-same-sex-couples-36582260.html

To be honest this attitude still exists in Ireland and people of all ages can be homophobic. I find some people kind of live in a bubble regarding this.
    The Councillor above is from Roscommon and they voted No in the marriage referendum. So his his views probably tied in with people who voted for him.

UK actor Russell Tovey has got engaged to his boyfriend who is a rugby player. Tovey acts in the US show Quantico and Being Human. It seems in the past year or two that a lot of gay and lesbian couples are tying the knot.

I think they make a very dashing couple! :)

an134581124new-york-ny-no.jpg?w968h681

Link to story here....
    https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/it-was-completely-unexpected-russell-tovey-confirms-engagement-to-boyfriend-steve-brockman-a3770956.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

They are like the definition of masc for masc (and yes that may be a tiny bit of jello snark).

It may only be a soap opera, but Neighbours is still very big and actor Matt Wilson who plays gay character Aaron Brennan has announced his engagement to his long-term boyfriend and will marry him a forthcoming episode in September.

11417_69623683_ipanews_c76b2de7-e5ab-432e-8b69-fdb660c48269_1.jpg

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/05/19/neighbours-gay-proposal-australia-marriage-wedding/amp/

Meanwhile, a young gay couple in deeply homophobic Russia travelled to Denmark (the first country to recognise seme sex unions in 1989) to marry but have since received widespread abuse and death threats and have been forced to flee the country. :(:mad:

Shows just how far we've come here and how we should try to push for tolerance in other, far less enlightened parts of the world.

Link:
    https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/russias-first-gay-married-couple-ended-up-fleeing-the-country-60366

Russia and its utter hatred for LGBT people makes me sick. Its disgusting the World Cup will be held there.

I'm lolling at a mention on the Joe Duffy show that Daniel O'Donnell supported the same-sex marriage proposal. The issue being discussed was why a priest was not invited to sing at the World meeting of families here, and Nathan Carter was. Danial came into the picture as a singer and one of the phone-callers came up with Dan's support of the proposal causing x amount of catholic voters to vote yes. The caller didn't quite fall for Joe's question if Dan was a sinner, replying that he was not catholic because he supported the proposal. - The gent claimed Danial was responsible for a change in the constitution and should apologise for it. It seems that some people are still upset at the vote result. I'm a bit surprised that the caller think's the constitution is a catholic constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm lolling at a mention on the Joe Duffy show that Daniel O'Donnell supported the same-sex marriage proposal. The issue being discussed was why a priest was not invited to sing at the World meeting of families here, and Nathan Carter was. Danial came into the picture as a singer and one of the phone-callers came up with Dan's support of the proposal causing x amount of catholic voters to vote yes. The caller didn't quite fall for Joe's question if Dan was a sinner, replying that he was not catholic because he supported the proposal.

Die church, bloody die!

Advertisement