Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

efb wrote: »
    We were in the AV room! It was great heckling Ró!!!

Ditto, got away with a lot of unparliamentary expression when the gent in the back row gave his input. T'was like the Waldorf and Statler show. :D Nice work by the Presidential Commission

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I know this thread hasn't been posted on in ages but I wasn't sure whether to create a new thread but Slovenia has repealed the same sex marriage law brought into force in March.

What a sad day for Slovenians.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Speaking of Slovenia, one of the comments on the Journal article mentioned a Slovenian comedian who basically came out after the result and said

"Slovenia is so far behind Ireland that we are expecting our potato famine in about 5 years" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

So today is the day Joan and her Labour Party colleagues reap their reward for putting this historic referendum before the people.

I suppose she could still try for the Aras in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It was probably the only real achievement of the current government. The achievement being that they didn't fcuk it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I wonder is the Iona Institute and Conservative far right still concerning themselves with the Children or have they moved on to another minority they can try to oppress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Itzy wrote: »
    I wonder is the Iona Institute and Conservative far right still concerning themselves with the Children or have they moved on to another minority they can try to oppress?

Abortion will be their next cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Funny they have nothing to say about the number of homeless children and children living in poverty in Ireland at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭jaykay74

So today is the day Joan and her Labour Party colleagues reap their reward for putting this historic referendum before the people.

That issue will be far from peoples minds when they vote tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bit unfortunate that people still have great resentment and anger over this referendum passing. I'm still frequently hearing from people how society will be fúcked because of "the queers"

Recently had someone genuinely confused as to why I even voted. "But the gays have no impact your life, why did you even bother!?!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Does defending discrimination by public schools against children of the wrong religion count?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Born - evil
    Unborn - good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

spurious wrote: »
    Born - evil
    Unborn - good

your post is idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

arayess wrote: »
    your post is idiotic.

Spurious even.

spurious wrote: »
    Born - evil
    Unborn - good

Summat to do with original sin? - (even though that concept may be gone)

Menas wrote: »

Is so. David Quinn and the gay bearded gent who opposed marriage equality have been touring the country with other like-minded people of the Pro-life group arranging for local opposition to stop any attempt to repeal the 8th amendment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is so. David Quinn and the gay bearded gent who opposed marriage equality have been touring the country in need of some attention and maybe a hug.
    Fixed that for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Menas wrote: »

As it is yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Bit unfortunate that people still have great resentment and anger over this referendum passing. I'm still frequently hearing from people how society will be fúcked because of "the queers"

Resentment and Anger? I've over the moon about it. ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

colossus-x wrote: »
    Duggy747 wrote: »

Resentment and Anger? I've over the moon about it.

So why isn't Renua's vote bigger then ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Funny they have nothing to say about the number of homeless children and children living in poverty in Ireland at the moment....

I love how it seems to be a recurring theme, especially among similar groups. Instead of concerning themselves with those who actually need help, they dip the wick where it's not wanted.
    Does defending discrimination by public schools against children of the wrong religion count?

Yes it does count and I do hope that one day a TD may take exception to religious patronage in schools and does something about it, forcibly removing the church from schools if needs must.

marienbad wrote: »

Was Renua position to vote against gay marriage ?

Was Renua position to vote against gay marriage ?

Renua was created because Lucinda and a few other FG TDs threw their toys out of the pram over legislation for the X Case. It's not that much of a leap to assume they're aiming for the conservative Catholic vote - hell, David Quinn was pushing them in his column yesterday.

Renua was created because Lucinda and a few over legislation for the X Case. It's not that much of a leap to assume they're aiming for the conservative Catholic vote - hell, David Quinn was pushing them in his column yesterday.

OH really, I thought the leader was pro gay marriage(said so when asked) and the President(EH) was pro choice. So leap all ya want.

other FG TDs threw their toys out of the pram That's called principle.

Oh really, I thought the leader was pro gay marriage(said so when asked) and the President(EH) was pro choice. So leap all ya want.

It is possible (although IMO inconsistent) for someone to be pro-marriage equality yet anti-choice, I don't recall Peadar Toibin of SF opposing the referendum despite being SF's only TD to oppose legislating for the X Case. I'm on my phone right now, but once I get back to my laptop I'll dig up some opinion columns supportive of Renua from the Legatus Lackeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OH really, I thought the leader was pro gay marriage(said so when asked) and the President(EH) was pro choice. So leap all ya want.

other FG TDs threw their toys out of the pram That's called principle.

Can't blame them too much, seeing as how only a few years ago Lucinda was quite clearly and openly against SSM. The earliest I can find on her changing to pro-SSM is from the months leading up to the referendum, where it was clear as day to everyone that is was going to pass with ease.

Billy86 wrote: »

Can't blame them too much, seeing as how only a few years ago Lucinda was quite clearly and openly against SSM. The earliest I can find on her changing to pro-SSM is from the months leading up to the referendum, where it was clear as day to everyone that is was going to pass with ease.

As was Enda and others.

As was Enda and others until the juggernaut got going.
    Internationally Obama and Hillary were anti SSM until they got "better informed". They are hardly conservative on social issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Because they are muppets.

• Advertisement

As was Enda and others until the juggernaut got going.
    Internationally Obama and Hillary were anti SSM until they got "better informed". They are hardly conservative on social issues.

More a case of the IRISH leaders following the crowd, as usual. One of my county's TD's was an out and out opponent of civil marriage being extended in law to LGBT people 'til he saw that the referendum was most likely to be passed, then mentioned that he was NOT really opposed to it after all. He's now a RENUA TD, after losing the FG whip for opposing the POLDPA bill.

Advertisement