Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

aloyisious wrote: »
    Gerry Walshe hasn't given up his argument against the referendum result and the courts decisions. He's seeking a judicial review of the decision of the state to sign the referendum cert into law while he was challenging the result in the supreme court. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/clare-man-in-fresh-action-against-marriage-referendum-result-1.2360671

"In its decision last week, the Supreme Court ruled neither Mr Walshe nor Mr Lyons had met the requirements for a Supreme Court appeal as neither had raised the necessary legal point of general public importance, had raised no points “of substance” and the interests of justice did not require they be given permission to appeal."

I wonder if it crossed him and his mates minds that the whole 'not a leg to stand on' thing might leave them lumbered with a large bill......not that I'd laugh. Much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Today's court hearing. A judge today directed that a new legal challenge against the result of the same-sex marriage referendum must be heard on notice to the State. The latest challenge has been brought by Gerry Walshe, an electrician, of Lisdeen, Co Clare, who seeks to quash the decision of the State to issue and sign the final referendum certificate in August while he had an earlier challenge in being and since dismissed by the Supreme Court. Walshe’s judicial review proceedings were put back until noon tomorrow and he was directed by the judge to contact the Chief State Solicitor about the proceedings by email and phone.

Sentences 1,2 and 3 above are the 1st, 2nd and last PARA's in the following Indo report, the rest of the report is a precis of the previous case hearing & judgements. FULL Indo report:https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjABahUKEwiyxdPP8YrIAhUxWtsKHa9DC58&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Firish-news%2Fcourts%2Fnew-legal-challenge-against-samesex-marriage-referendum-result-must-be-heard-on-notice-to-state-31549006.html&usg=AFQjCNGql_vHHiPrdBqmpsemazU8k05EZg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

aloyisious wrote: »
    Today's court hearing. A judge today directed that a new legal challenge against the result of the same-sex marriage referendum must be heard on notice to the State. The latest challenge has been brought by Gerry Walshe, an electrician, of Lisdeen, Co Clare, who seeks to quash the decision of the State to issue and sign the final referendum certificate in August while he had an earlier challenge in being and since dismissed by the Supreme Court. Walshe’s judicial review proceedings were put back until noon tomorrow and he was directed by the judge to contact the Chief State Solicitor about the proceedings by email and phone.

Sentences 1,2 and 3 above are the 1st, 2nd and last PARA's in the following Indo report, the rest of the report is a precis of the previous case hearing & judgements. FULL Indo report:https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjABahUKEwiyxdPP8YrIAhUxWtsKHa9DC58&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Firish-news%2Fcourts%2Fnew-legal-challenge-against-samesex-marriage-referendum-result-must-be-heard-on-notice-to-state-31549006.html&usg=AFQjCNGql_vHHiPrdBqmpsemazU8k05EZg.

Any idea what the jaysus that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Nodin wrote: »

The State has to be told when and where it's happening and have representation there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nodin wrote: »

A gobshiťe from Clare has more money than sense. His appeal has been rejected in the High Court, in the Court of appeal and in the Supreme Court and he is still persisting in appealing based on cases that were laughed at in Court.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A gobshiťe from Clare has more money than sense. His appeal has been rejected in the High Court, in the Court of appeal and in the Supreme Court and he is still persisting in appealing based on cases that were laughed at in Court.

At what point does someones family go, "Eh, Dave, em, don't you think you ****ed about enough?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

FTFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I firmly believe the only thing going on in these guy's heads is they are trying to increase the chances they get past the pearly gates when they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're part of some fringe group with deep American pockets. These guys have neither the savvy or the finances to keep this up, there's a shadow group behind them pushing this all the way and ensuring that money is no issue.

Just patsies, but loving their day in the spotlight and the praise from the local religious whackjobs.

This is a "what if" challenge anyway. Worst case scenario, the original certificate signing is quashed and Michael D has to sign the amendment into law a second time.

In reality the judge will likely decide that since there is no actual challenge to the referendum outstanding, then there's no public good to be served in squashing the original signing, but it'll issue a stern warning to the state not to jump the gun next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wouldn't be surprised if Legatus were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

At 328 votes? - don't think so

https://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=5964

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Time to take the piss out of him, show up at the court building tomorrow with a "Kim Davis supports you, Gerry" sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

seamus wrote: »
    They're part of some fringe group with deep American pockets.
    Let's hope so, as he keeps losing, having costs awarded against him, and trundling on to the next piece of process. If the state ever actually recovers any of these monies, it might be a little bit of "direct foreign investment" economic stimulus. If only in and around Michael McDowell's golf clubhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Let's hope so, as he keeps losing, having costs awarded against him, and trundling on to the next piece of process. If the state ever actually recovers any of these monies, it might be a little bit of "direct foreign investment" economic stimulus. If only in and around Michael McDowell's golf clubhouse.

Even if costs are awarded against him you cant get blood from a stone. I would imagine his source of income would dry up fairly quickly once they lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Even if costs are awarded against him you cant get blood from a stone. I would imagine his source of income would dry up fairly quickly once they lost.
    "That money was only resting in my account"?

I understand they already have been, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

No but you can bankrupt him.

It would have an impact on his life.

• Advertisement

There is a lot more to it than that.

There's the question of his legal team. Barristers usually have juniors, solicitors, clerks, law-library researchers etc on their teams. I can't quite see them doing all this work for free (if they ultimately lose) when they know there is no gold for them at the end of this particular rainbow (pardon the pun).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That's gone too when you are out of bankrupsy you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Same-sex marriage legislation passes all stages in Oireachtas

"Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald said the first same-sex marriages will take place by mid-November."

Celebrating in The Houses of the Oireachtas

Twas a great day, watching the final debate, withdrawal of amendments etc.

• Advertisement

We were in the AV room! It was great heckling Ró!!!

Advertisement