Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Agree with you 100%, but it is not just an Irish thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

[Lucinda and] other FG TDs threw their toys out of the pram
    That's called principle.

Isn't it funny that "principle" didn't come into it when slashing benefits and supports for carers and the disabled?

Anyway, I'm on my laptop now, so as promised here's David Quinn, Breda O'Brien et al. promoting Renua:
    27/2/16 - Quinn plans on giving his 1st preference to his local Renua candidate for best resembling the "Christian Democrat" ideology.
    8/1/16 - Quinn calls on "pro-life" supporters to vote for Renua.
    20/2/16 - O'Brien recommends "principled" candidates - i.e. "pro-life" ones, with a nod to Lucinda (despite claiming her article isn't an endorsement of Renua), and she also cries out for a "pro-life party" in her column on the 9th of January, with another nod to Lucinda and Renua.

Isn't it funny that "principle" didn't come into it when slashing benefits and supports for carers and the disabled?

Anyway, I'm on my laptop now, so as promised here's David Quinn, Breda O'Brien et al. promoting Renua:
    27/2/16 - Quinn plans on giving his 1st preference to his local Renua candidate for best resembling the "Christian Democrat" ideology.
    8/1/16 - Quinn calls on "pro-life" supporters to vote for Renua.
    20/2/16 - O'Brien recommends "principled" candidates - i.e. "pro-life" ones, with a nod to Lucinda (despite claiming her article isn't an endorsement of Renua), and she also cries out for a "pro-life party" in her column on the 9th of January, with another nod to Lucinda and Renua.

I never said he didn't recommend them, what I said still stands unless you can show otherwise with your tireless researching.

My sister is disabled and my mother is a carer so I know all about cuts, however Lucinda could have been sitting pretty in a top job for FG, instead she decided that she could not support the Government and that showed "balls".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My sister is disabled and my mother is a carer so I know all about cuts, however Lucinda could have been sitting pretty in a top job for FG, instead she decided that she could not support the Government and that showed "balls".

What cuts have you personally endured that makes you such an expert?
    Seems to me it's your sister and mother who know all about cuts tbh.

By that logic I know all about heterosexual marriage break-ups as both my mother and sister have experienced this...my brother too...and my father... I should be on the telly talking about this as I am such an 'expert'...

Lucinda decided that she disagreed with the express will of the people as expressed in a referendum. That's not 'balls' (or even 'ovaries') that is ego and arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Does anyone know if agnostic citizens can civil-marry here? I assume they can even if they might not want to because of marriage's historical link with religion. I had a "eureka" moment last night with that as the possible "checkmate" response - proving that civil marriage has been a separate ceremony to religious marriage to those of a belief that marriage is a religious rite and not proper for LGBT folk - as civil marriage has been open to agnostic citizens for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What cuts have you personally endured that makes you such an expert?
    Seems to me it's your sister and mother who know all about cuts tbh.

By that logic I know all about heterosexual marriage break-ups as both my mother and sister have experienced this...my brother too...and my father... I should be on the telly talking about this as I am such an 'expert'...

Lucinda decided that she disagreed with the express will of the people as expressed in a referendum. That's not 'balls' (or even 'ovaries') that is ego and arrogance.

I live beside my mother, I call in everyday and help them, I take my sister from time to time to give Ma a break. So yes I am an expert on it.

Lucinda voting against the government knowing full well it would be detrimental to her political career. Others thought about it but would rather keep their cushy jobs so they voted for it. It''s not aggorance it's voting with your conscience.

You can agree or disagree with her but at least in this instance it showed 'ovaries'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

aloyisious wrote: »
    Does anyone know if agnostic citizens can civil-marry here? I assume they can even if they might not want to because of marriage's historical link with religion. I had a "eureka" moment last night with that as the possible "checkmate" response - proving that civil marriage has been a separate ceremony to religious marriage to those of a belief that marriage is a religious rite and not proper for LGBT folk - as civil marriage has been open to agnostic citizens for years.

As bad as Ireland can be at separation of church and state it isn't that bad thankfully. That's why whatever the Catholic church thought was worthless, we already allow Muslims, Jews, atheists and even Catholics get married in a civil marriage which isn't even really marriage to them.

As far the the church was concerned they didn't want gay people to pretend they were married, according to their rules it isn't really marriage if it wasn't done by them.

I live beside my mother, I call in everyday and help them, I take my sister from time to time to give Ma a break. So yes I am an expert on it.

Lucinda voting against the government knowing full well it would be detrimental to her political career. Others thought about it but would rather keep their cushy jobs so they voted for it. It''s not aggorance it's voting with your conscience.

You can agree or disagree with her but at least in this instance it showed 'ovaries'.

My point is that until it is 'you' directly impacted then your experience of the cuts is secondary not personal. I see homeless people everyday. I have become very friendly with those I meet on the way home from work everyday. I help out with money, coffee, sleeping bags etc but that does not make me an expert on being homeless because I have a home. My understanding is limited by what I personally experience.
    The point being you have not personally suffered any cuts - you mother and sister have and you are claiming their experience as your own which imho is a bit arrogant.

Speaking of arrogance - Lucinda. Lucinda was not 'going against the government' - she was blatantly attempting to subvert the democratic process by going against the express will of the people.
    There. was. a. referendum. (and another one but the people didn't change their minds).

No politician has the right to say 'I, personally, don't like the decision of this referendum so I refuse to implement it.' Her objection was not to the specific legislation which would be a different thing - her objection was to the existence of the legislation in the first place. She did not want the decision of the people acted upon. Lucinda doesn't get to make that call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Ah good ole David Quinn, one of the best things to happen secular Ireland, keep him talking and give him plenty of air time! :-)

He spends most of that time complaining he doesn't get any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Bahaha, what a great response:

"You should ask your local Renua Ireland TD to raise this important issue in the Dáil."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bahaha, what a great response:

"You should ask your local Renua Ireland TD to raise this important issue in the Dáil."

That is genius…

If you have 2 mothers do you get them each a present or one big present for the 2 of them?

We were warned there would be consequences but did we listen? No, now children all over the country have sore arms as they create 2 cards.

If you have 2 mothers do you get them each a present or one big present for the 2 of them?

We were warned there would be consequences but did we listen? No, now children all over the country have sore arms as they create 2 cards.

It's the two breakfasts that are the real problem. Expect a haze over Ireland from all the cremated toast on Sunday morning.

The pot of Barry's tea will make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The pot of Barry's tea will make up for it.

Are lesbian mother's really going to want Barry's in them?

• Advertisement

Are lesbian mother's really going to want Barry's in them?

Better than Earl Grey. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Better than Earl Grey. :pac:

Gentry Grey, please; as there is also a Lady Grey tea as well.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I don't know what the problem is. It's 'MotherS' day. Isn't that plural.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

colossus-x wrote: »
    I don't know what the problem is. It's 'MotherS' day. Isn't that plural.

Depends on the placement of the ' !

:D. Feck's sake, will ye get it right, it's mothering day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

:D. Feck's sake, will ye get it right, it's mothering day.

Mothering Sunday - only in America

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mothering Sunday - only in America
    Not quite!

Saw this item - http://www.irishtimes.com/…/marriage-referendum-changed-eve…; - being used by a group called "Defend Marriage in Ireland: Husband And Wife" on it's F/B page under the wording; SSM HAS LEAD TO SURROGACY REACHING IRISH SHORES: SADLY PRO LIFE PEOPLE VOTED YES LAST YEAR AND SURROGACY CONTRADICTS THE PRO LIFE ETHOS... I guess some groups just haven't got used to other citizens civilly-marrying the person they love,not some-one of another gender in the manner that religion and tradition demands and are trying to link it with two matters, the raising of children by gay men and abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Saw this item - http://www.irishtimes.com/…/marriage-referendum-changed-eve…; - being used by a group called "Defend Marriage in Ireland: Husband And Wife" on it's F/B page under the wording; SSM HAS LEAD TO SURROGACY REACHING IRISH SHORES: SADLY PRO LIFE PEOPLE VOTED YES LAST YEAR AND SURROGACY CONTRADICTS THE PRO LIFE ETHOS... I guess some groups just haven't got used to other citizens civilly-marrying the person they love,not some-one of another gender in the manner that religion and tradition demands and are trying to link it with two matters, the raising of children by gay men and abortion.

Link no work. Probably because of neo-leftie liberal commie gays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Advertisement