Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for electoral fraud

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

You just had to, didn't you.

Of course I had to. I love when hypocrites are exposed and I'll use any example to shed light thereon. But I'm not bandstanding or grandstanding here. This is a day for gay people and long may their happiness continue. I've been called many things politically....and usually by bigots. My political views aren't about right and left as so many of these hypocrites assert. They are about right and wrong.
    The OP tried to besmirch this referendum result by claiming that voter fraud occurred and therefore the whole thing is questionable. Well I'm not having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

How could you possibly have been breaking the law if you went to the polling station, presented yourself and your I.D./document, your name was crossed off the list and you were handed your balloting papers?
    Again!! Having a polling card does not entitle you to vote if you are not in fact entitled. It also does not remove responsibility from said voter to ensure they are legally allowed.
    where the figure of 66,000 come from. It sounds like a hell of a lot to me
    Yeah I got confused. It's the number of new voters.
    Crawl back under your rock ffs,any proof of these shenanigans??? 14 odd hours after the ballot and you're slinging some serious sh!t there pal....

If I were to marry a bloke tommorow, what DIRECT effect would it have on YOU??
    Nothing whatsoever.....
    The people have spoken, equality for all at last.

Look outside,it's a beautiful day go out and enjoy it and stop stirring sh!the.

I for one am gonna go into the city tonight, cos there's gonna be one hell of a hooley!!!!
    Great for you. Enjoy the win. This referendum is taking Irish society one step further towards a place I do not want to be.
    Report them for electoral fraud then. Doesn't invalidate the rights of those who were entitled to vote returning and doing so.
    Sure. I only have a problem with the people who are voting illegally and doing it in plain sight.
    What it has shown is the hypocrisy more than anything. The yes campaigns dirty preachy tactics

but even funnier they scream for equality for all. Yet its obvious they only mean for the gays. If your under 35 you dont deserve to be treated equally and have a chance of presidency. That has been trounced. Now they say how great we are at treating people equally. Hypocritical bandwagon jumping at its finest :D.
    LOL
    Triangla wrote: »
    Is there a figure on non residents who came home to vote no?

IMHO if you have an Irish passport you should have a right to vote in every election.
    That's just your opinion. It is meaningless unless you are a judge or something.
    Moan about corruption and fraud in Irish politics constantly. Ignore voter fraud when it 'benefits' your 'side'. The no side would have done the exact same too.

It's a joke.

True. My problem is it is so easy to get on the register with ZERO checks.
    How could they have voted so?! It's really strict at the polling booths. Mother of god. Coming here doesn't mean they actually got to vote in the end, ffs.

Really strict??? What country do you live in?
    Hold up a minute, its not like hundreds of thousands did a dinny o brine and relocated to just avoid tax liabilities, they were forced out of the country so I say even if they're well over the 18 months let them flippin vote
    Your opinion is meaningless in the eyes of the law.
    You ran away last night from explaining your flimsy and barely-concealed xenophobia. Somewhere else on boards you have been implying that only people who 'contribute' should be allowed to vote.

Now this op with more rash allegations. Give it a rest.

Everything out of your mouth is half-baked ill-reasoned stuff. Seriously.
    Where did I run? Not all of us can stay on the Internet all day. Xenophobia, really??
    Egginacup wrote: »
    Facts are what matter here, not suspicions.
    True. French girl told me her Italian and Spanish and French co-workers asked her why she didn't vote. They all did. Numerous stories of people coming back home to vote after many years. It's so widespread there is no point reporting it. It would need to actually be investigated.
    No. A whole cohort of my college buddies who have been in London for 5 years travelled back together. And they spoke of others from their school/town doing the same. A large proportion of that 66k would have been away for long term/permanent
    So, just one example. I am sure there are many.

Don't know where you vote if it's really strict. Hand in polling card, name gets crossed off and then you're given a ballot paper. Pretty straightforward.

And how pray tell does one get a polling card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

So, just one example. I am sure there are many.
    You're "sure there are many" - wow, that's such ironclad proof of electoral fraud, I understand your concern.

Seriously though, you're unhappy about a yes win - that's your opinion which you're entitled to. No need to go making up some shyte about electoral fraud though. What does that achieve?

You're "sure there are many" - wow, that's such ironclad proof of electoral fraud, I understand your concern.

Seriously though, you're unhappy about a yes win - that's your opinion which you're entitled to. No need to go making up some shyte about electoral fraud though. What does that achieve?
    My main point here is that the security of our electoral system is virtually non-existent and extremely vulnerable to fraud.

Couldn't really give two ****s about the yes vote to be honest. It just confirms the pointlessness of it all for me.

• Advertisement

Really. I guessed you were 55 if a day given your pro Soviet stance (reheated). How does the love of liberalism in the west and the love of Putin in the east mesh together in that brain?

Pro-Soviet? Me? Nah!

55? That's a long way off.

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.
    66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.
    Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.

While I accept that there may be issues with Irish people returning, they couldn't vote without being registered. Realistically, their numbers who returned to vote wouldn't make much difference to the outcome.

Who can vote in a Referendum?
    You must be an Irish citizen
    You must be at least 18 years old
    Your name must be on the Register of Electors
    If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the Register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is Irish diplomats (and their spouses) on duty abroad who may cast their vote by post)

- See more at: http://www.refcom.ie/en/Frequently-Asked-Questions/#vot

My main point here is that the security of our electoral system is virtually non-existent and extremely vulnerable to fraud.
    Right, so you've moved the goalposts from "There was loads of electoral fraud" to "Electoral fraud is a possibility". Two distinct things.
    Couldn't really give two ****s about the yes vote to be honest.
    Yes you could, you said only a few posts ago that it's sending Ireland in a direction you don't want it going.

This is too easy.

wil wrote: »
    The Gathering 2013 Home for the craic
    The Gathering 2015 Home to vote
    What'll they call the next episode?

The Weddings 2016. Home for the bash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So Ireland has made a huge leap towards being a more equal society and now we have the "No" side spouting tinfoil-hat style nonsense like the OP? The people have spoken. It is as simple as that. We had the Conservatives win a majority earlier this month in the UK. I don't like it but I respect the electorate's decision.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    This is going to sound awful and leave me open to all sorts of abuse but I really hope those who celebrate tonight do it respectfully and with dignity. They're entitled to let loose after such a long campaign but it would only take one excessive incident to start the no crowd and in particular the Iona bunch to start mouthing.

Couple of guys snogging in public going to herald the end of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Many of the people who returned to vote are young people who plan to return to their home country when their prospects improve. The referendum is very relevant to their future.

Right, so you've moved the goalposts from "There was loads of electoral fraud" to "Electoral fraud is a possibility". Two distinct things.

Yes you could, you said only a few posts ago that it's sending Ireland in a direction you don't want it going.

This is too easy.
    I probably would have enjoyed a no vote but gay marriage is not really an issue for me. What was an issue was the approach of the yes side here and the liberal agenda in the media.

Electoral fraud is a possibility. There are also people blatantly taking advantage of it.

That opening post got a great laugh out of a table of drinkers here in Vietnam. Thanks OP.

We had the Conservatives win a majority earlier this month in the UK..
    I should focus on the good news like this!
    folamh wrote: »
    Many of the people who returned to vote are young people who plan to return to their home country when their prospects improve. The referendum is very relevant to their future.
    Interesting opinion. Does not change the law though.

I probably would have enjoyed a no vote but gay marriage is not really an issue for me. What was an issue was the approach of the yes side here and the liberal agenda in the media.

Electoral fraud is a possibility. There are also people blatantly taking advantage of it.
    Which people are blatantly taking advantage of it? The only example I'm aware of is someone taking a photo of marking X in the "no" box on their ballot paper. What approach by the yes side? What about the tactics of some on the no side?

Oh wait, you said "Liberal agenda" - all I need to know. :)

So it's clear you don't want SSM marriage and have other right-leaning views. Honestly, I disagree with your views but I also appreciate you have a right to hold them and nobody can dictate to you what to think. However I find making stuff up about electoral fraud just because you have those views and skirting around your views by pretending you don't really care (when you do - otherwise you wouldn't be making stuff up about electoral fraud) to be pretty darn underhanded to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There were people bragging in some threads yesterday about committing voter fraud and voting no several times. You never once took issue with any of them. So basically...

Which people are blatantly taking advantage of it? The only example I'm aware of is someone taking a photo of marking X in the "no" box on their ballot paper. What approach by the yes side? What about the tactics of some on the no side?

Oh wait, you said "Liberal agenda" - all I need to know. :)

So it's clear you don't want SSM marriage and have other right-leaning views. Honestly, I disagree with your views but I also appreciate you have a right to hold them and nobody can dictate to you what to think. However I find making stuff up about electoral fraud just because you have those views and skirting around your views by pretending you don't really care (when you do - otherwise you wouldn't be making stuff up about electoral fraud) to be pretty darn underhanded to say the least.
    This whole post was a result of a friend telling me their European co-workers were all voting yes!

Billy86 wrote: »
    There were people bragging in some threads yesterday about committing voter fraud and voting no several times.
    Never saw that, would have called them out on it if I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

I'm Irish. I live abroad (6 months now).
    But even if it was 19 months or more, why shouldn't I be allowed to vote? I'd still be an Irish citizen, still able to come home at any time and live in the country again.
    Why shouldn't I have a say in how my country works. And even if the outcome of an election/referendum doesn't personally affect me at the moment, I have family & friends in Ireland. I want to see the best decisions made for them also.

So...this law being mentioned again and again here is a bad law. I don't stop being Irish because I'm out of the country for 18 months or more. I don't stop caring about the laws and constitutional rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

anna080 wrote: »
    This is going to sound awful and leave me open to all sorts of abuse but I really hope those who celebrate tonight do it respectfully and with dignity. They're entitled to let loose after such a long campaign but it would only take one excessive incident to start the no crowd and in particular the Iona bunch to start mouthing.

Do you need to be pejorative ?

By 'mouthing' do you mean exercise their right to free speech ? Did they lose the right to comment on what yourself calls excessive incidents ?

A pity you refer to people as the no 'crowd' and the Iona 'bunch'. Not a very sophisticated attitude.

Couldn't really give two ****s about the yes vote to be honest. It just confirms the pointlessness of it all for me.

But your thread title says that the result was a victory for electoral fraud. If you were so concerned about electoral criminality then why didn't you open a thread about it that was not related to the result of this referendum?
    Why did you even bring the result into the equation unless you are now going to backpeddle and say that this, and ALL previous referenda, were victories for electoral fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cerveja

Bitter much, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Never saw that, would have called them out on it if I did.

Of course you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

This whole post was a result of a friend telling me their European co-workers were all voting yes!

No. You said it was your 'better half' who told you so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95589039&postcount=1

Think you're a bit of a fraud yourself, to be honest.

Depraved wrote: »
    So...this law being mentioned again and again here is a bad law..
    Whether you agree or not breaking it is a criminal offence.

Do you need to be pejorative ?

By 'mouthing' do you mean exercise their right to free speech ? Did they lose the right to comment on what yourself calls excessive incidents ?

A pity you refer to people as the no 'crowd' and the Iona 'bunch'. Not a very sophisticated attitude.
    People should behave decently in public regardless of sexuality. Tonight will be like gay pride on steroids though.
    Egginacup wrote: »
    But your thread title says that the result was a victory for electoral fraud. If you were so concerned about electoral criminality then why didn't you open a thread about it that was not related to the result of this referendum?
    Why did you even bring the result into the equation unless you are now going to backpeddle and say that this, and ALL previous referenda, were victories for electoral fraud?
    Look. I thought it was an interesting title for a thread, especially seeing as it coincided with the yes side win.

I had heard of people who were untitled to vote voting which pissed me off!

No. You said it was your 'better half' who told you so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95589039&postcount=1

Think you're a bit of a fraud yourself, to be honest.
    I am trying to limit the amount of personal information on here because at least one of you is doing a bit of stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Whether you agree or not breaking it is a criminal offence.

People should behave decently in public regardless of sexuality. Tonight will be like gay pride on steroids though.

Look. I thought it was an interesting title for a thread, especially seeing as it coincided with the yes side win.

I had heard of people who were untitled to vote voting which pissed me off!

The people have spoken, Ireland is a democratic society, you can either accept this and move on or harbour the bitterness in your heart for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I am trying to limit the amount of personal information on here because at least one of you is doing a bit of stalking.

Nothing stalking about that, you told a lie and have been pulled up on it.

• Advertisement

The people have spoken, Ireland is a democratic society, you can either accept this and move on or harbour the bitterness in your heart for the rest of your life.
    I've accepted it.

Advertisement