Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I don't know what club he is at nor do I need to but that must be a very unique club in terms of Leinster rugby. Having been around both levels for the last 10 years and being at all of the seniors clubs on a regular basis when both levels are playing I just cannot accept that is the norm.

I don't really see the relevance of J1 team training with the seniors has. People are going to watch 2 separate games. We are talking about getting people in the door not making J1s a nicer level to play or having the 2 teams that train together playing.

On the TJ thing - was just an idea. I'll stop coming up with ideas and just shoot everything down instead, it appears much easier.

Brilliant :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

20s & Seniors on the same day is a great idea especially at senior clubs. 20s tend to attract decent crowds due to the entertainment value, quality of rugby being played and to have a look at the future stars of the club. J1s and Senior team play on different days as they need to use subs from senior for Junior if available especially front rows who need to get game time. Most Dublin senior clubs at the moment are aiming for or getting between 60-80% of their players from their 20s as they are the ones who tend to come thru to senior rather than J1 who approx 30% play senior more in seasons where there are major injuries but would not in general be 1st squad players or quality as ambitious ones move on or down to a level they can start regularly.

Sunday is the cause of alot of players dropping out of Rugby we have had 4 senior teams fielding at the same time on a Sunday which is a huge if not impossible struggle for clubs especially having to have 20 competent front rows as per the rules all available. Branches and Union can and should do more they are the Professional bodies staffed by professional personnel paid to do a professional job yet we only hear about them asking the clubs what to do. When we give suggestions they are not listened to the whole club scene is becoming increasingly frustrating with professional organizations dictating to amateur clubs but expecting them to be more professional. Things need to change IRFU & Provinces need to be pro-active not re-active. Come up with suggestions and put them to the clubs for discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

IRELAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL Team & Replacements (v Scotland Clubs, 2016 Ulster Bank Club International Match, Temple Hill, Cork, Friday, March 18, kick-off 7.30pm):

15. Daniel Riordan (Old Belvedere)
    14. James McInerney (Garryowen)
    13. Stephen Murphy (UCD)

12. Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf) (capt)
    11. Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    10. Scott Deasy (Lansdowne)
    9. Neil Cronin (Garryowen)
    1. Ian Prendiville (Lansdowne)
    2. Max Abbott (Cork Constitution)
    3. Ger Sweeney (Cork Constitution)
    4. Ciaran Ruddock (St. Mary's College)
    5. Philip Donnellan (Lansdowne)
    6. Charlie Butterworth (Lansdowne)
    7. Paul Pritchard (Ballynahinch)
    8. Tony Ryan (Clontarf)

Replacements:

16. Eddie Rossiter (Old Belvedere)
    17. Declan Lavery (Old Belvedere)
    18. Brian McGovern (St. Mary's College)
    19. Connor Smyth (Ballymena)
    20. John Fitzgerald (Dolphin)
    21. Angus Lloyd (Dublin University)
    22. Jack McDermott (Dublin University)
    23. Rodger McBurney (Ballymena)

Stainalert wrote: »
    IRELAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL Team & Replacements (v Scotland Clubs, 2016 Ulster Bank Club International Match, Temple Hill, Cork, Friday, March 18, kick-off 7.30pm):

15. Daniel Riordan (Old Belvedere)
    14. James McInerney (Garryowen)
    13. Stephen Murphy (UCD)

12. Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf) (capt)
    11. Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    10. Scott Deasy (Lansdowne)
    9. Neil Cronin (Garryowen)
    1. Ian Prendiville (Lansdowne)
    2. Max Abbott (Cork Constitution)
    3. Ger Sweeney (Cork Constitution)
    4. Ciaran Ruddock (St. Mary's College)
    5. Philip Donnellan (Lansdowne)
    6. Charlie Butterworth (Lansdowne)
    7. Paul Pritchard (Ballynahinch)
    8. Tony Ryan (Clontarf)

Replacements:

16. Eddie Rossiter (Old Belvedere)
    17. Declan Lavery (Old Belvedere)
    18. Brian McGovern (St. Mary's College)
    19. Connor Smyth (Ballymena)
    20. John Fitzgerald (Dolphin)
    21. Angus Lloyd (Dublin University)
    22. Jack McDermott (Dublin University)
    23. Rodger McBurney (Ballymena)

Only 5 of the 23 are from the top 4 clubs in 1A? Are some players declining the oppertunity to play and making themselves unavailable for selection or just being overlooked?

Only 5 of the 23 are from the top 4 clubs in 1A? Are some players declining the oppertunity to play and making themselves unavailable for selection or just being overlooked?

No academy or Irish U20 squad allowed. Surprised Barry Daly didn't get a look in and that there is no one from Young Munster

• Advertisement

No academy or Irish U20 squad allowed. Surprised Barry Daly didn't get a look in and that there is no one from Young Munster

Yeah suprised with a few omissions, Young Munsters are flying high at the moment so no one from them is strange. There are a number of players from 1B too?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭brokenhooker

There are a number of players from 1B too?!

So what? Talented players can play in 1b too.

So what? Talented players can play in 1b too.

They can indeed, well spotted! Talented players can play in any division.

What I am suprised with is the number of the 23 made up by the top 4 sides in 1A is less than the number of players playing 1B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭brokenhooker

They can indeed, well spotted! Talented players can play in any division.

What I am suprised with is the number of the 23 made up by the top 4 sides in 1A is less than the number of players playing 1B.

best teams doesn't necessarily mean best individuals.. also players may not want to play for the club side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    20s & Seniors on the same day is a great idea especially at senior clubs. 20s tend to attract decent crowds due to the entertainment value, quality of rugby being played and to have a look at the future stars of the club. J1s and Senior team play on different days as they need to use subs from senior for Junior if available especially front rows who need to get game time. Most Dublin senior clubs at the moment are aiming for or getting between 60-80% of their players from their 20s as they are the ones who tend to come thru to senior rather than J1 who approx 30% play senior more in seasons where there are major injuries but would not in general be 1st squad players or quality as ambitious ones move on or down to a level they can start regularly.
    I just think j1s is a better fit in terms of keeping players involved. Giving 2nds players a chance for maybe a Sunday off. Some 2nds players will sub 1sts Saturdays and then have to tog out again on a Sunday. Cut that out.
    Sunday is the cause of alot of players dropping out of Rugby we have had 4 senior teams fielding at the same time on a Sunday which is a huge if not impossible struggle for clubs especially having to have 20 competent front rows as per the rules all available. Branches and Union can and should do more they are the Professional bodies staffed by professional personnel paid to do a professional job yet we only hear about them asking the clubs what to do. When we give suggestions they are not listened to the whole club scene is becoming increasingly frustrating with professional organizations dictating to amateur clubs but expecting them to be more professional. Things need to change IRFU & Provinces need to be pro-active not re-active. Come up with suggestions and put them to the clubs for discussion
    So why not make metro divisions play Saturdays and get more playing at adult level. There is more chances of those playing j1s to have families and more j1s will be involved in 1sts than 20s in a lot of clubs so playing j1s Saturdays gives more players a chance of a day off.
    Sunday is a factor in some dropping out of the sport so you play 20s on a Sunday as theyre least likely to be affected by Sundays as they'll be in 3rd level and don't have same issues as those who are in full time employment.
    This idea here that comes from quite a few that the provincial branches don't do a lot is a bit tiresome. The clubs are the branches. The clubs are those with the power to influence and initiate change.
    If the clubs have issues they have to proactive and demand change. Be radical and try things to see about change occurring if they believe those professional staff are not doing enough.
    Some wont make themselves available as will/may be more concentrated on their chances of winning league with club...
    And that's totally correct. No academy or irish 20s should be allowed play.
    Yeah suprised with a few omissions, Young Munsters are flying high at the moment so no one from them is strange. There are a number of players from 1B too?!
    As there should be. Top 1B sides should have quite a few involved in squad

• Advertisement

Was making a factual statement Lost Sheep not giving an opinion - MrJones123 was surprised there weren't more players from the top 4 and no academy and U20 players is one explanation

best teams doesn't necessarily mean best individuals.. also players may not want to play for the club side.

I'd say that might have something to do with it. Players might welcome the break, playing week in week out with the club may be enough of a commitment.
    As there should be. Top 1B sides should have quite a few involved in squad

I am not disputing this, what I am saying is you would expect to see one or two more from the top clubs in the top division and not less than the top clubs in the second tier. Maybe they are just better players, maybe certain players were considered but made themselves unavailable, who knows, it was just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Starting team is all 1A barring Rudduck. The 1B guys are coming from 3 clubs that are seriously dominating the league barring Fitzgerald. There is a very good chance that Trinity and Marys will both go up now and be 1A sides. With injuries, work commitments etc. it's always going to be difficult to get everyone in, add to that selectors preference it is always going to be a difficult team to select and say is 100% fair. Most of us will have seen our own players most often and will be biased towards them.

In saying that there is no-one on that team I am not happy to see there and I'm really happy with that team. I really like the look of that backline in particular.

Bective beat Seapoint in 2B last night 29-12 in a game moved from earlier in season..
    Bective, in 8th, now 7 points ahead of Rainey who have a game in hand and that is against 7th placed Dungannon. Bar that game and Cork Con v Terenure in 1A. All sides have just 2 games in regular season left.

Trinity who play Edinburgh Academicals tomorrow night.... Oldest and second oldest clubs in continuous existence in the world playing against each other

Con and Terenure next week but no other 1A/B games until April.

And some divisions to be decided that weekend potentially with 1B and 2C champions being decided.

Colours last night. Trinity beat UCD. Well deserved win for DUFC.

2A. Nenagh v Cashel tomorrow is one of the ties of the weekend. 4th v 5th. Should be huge game. First time AIL tipp derby in Nenagh. 3 previous AIL clashes have been in Cashel.
    Corinthians v Banbridge, Malone v Naas, Skerries v UCC, Thomond v Queens

2B: Sundays Well v Highfield. Also tomorrow night. 3rd v 2nd.
    Armagh v Greystones, Bective v City of Derry, Barnhall v Rainey Old Boys, Seapoint v Dungannon

2C: 4 of the top 5 face off this weekend. 2nd v 3rd Big game in Tullamore
    Boyne v Wanderers, Dundalk v Midleton, Kanturk v Sligo, Navan v Old Crescent, Tullamore v Bruff

So any thoughts on this weekends games?

1A
    Cork Con 35 Terenure College 17
    2A
    Nenagh Ormond 6 Cashel 11, Corinthians 21 Banbridge 10, Malone 8 Naas 25, Skerries 5 UCC 32, Thomond 5 Queen's University 54
    2B
    Sunday's Well 13 Highfield 6, Armagh 15 Greystones 15, Bective Rangers 20 City of Derry 19, MU Barnhall 20 Rainey Old Boys 19, Seapoint 15 Dungannon 27
    2C
    Boyne 16 Wanderers 19, Dundalk 16 Midleton 15, Kanturk 20 Sligo 23, Navan 10 Old Crescent 31, Tullamore 8 Bruff 9

1A mainly decided. Playoff teams all but decided with Garryowen needing slip ups to make top 4. Clontarf to finish top but 2nd/3rd/4th all likely to change.
    Ballynahinch relegated. Terenure or Wegians to also go down.

1B Marys 4 points ahead of Trinity. They play in the next round. Winner likely to be automatically promoted
    Belfast Harlequins relegated.

1A mainly decided. Playoff teams all but decided with Garryowen needing slip ups to make top 4. Clontarf to finish top but 2nd/3rd/4th all likely to change.
    Ballynahinch relegated. Terenure or Wegians to also go down.

1B Marys 4 points ahead of Trinity. They play in the next round. Winner likely to be automatically promoted
    Belfast Harlequins relegated.

Going to be very tough for whoever comes 2nd last in 1A. Trinity v Marys on Friday is a huge game. Winner take all by the looks of it.

I reckon Trinity will win.

1A top 4 all but decided now barring an absolute disaster from either YM or UCD. Can't see either happening.

Incredible to see YM second and -7 points difference at this stage of the season. Only 3 teams with positive points diff and they are all 100 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

When are the promotion / relegation playoffs for each division?

• Advertisement

When are the promotion/relegation playoffs for each division?
    Last round of games in division 2 are this weekend and last round in division 1 is April 16th. So I would assume the 1/2/3 weeks after the leagues finish....

Saturday
    Clonmel v Enniscorthy, Bangor v Westpoort
    April 9th
    Westport v Clonmel, Enniscorthy v Bangor
    April 16
    Enniscorthy v Westport, Clonmel v Bangor
    April 23
    Play-off between team that finishes second and 9th in Division 2C

Irishrugby.ie streaming the marys trinity 1B decider Friday night
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37236.php#.Vv0WjE3JDcs

So pretty much decision day in 1A this weekend. If Garryowen loose to YM top 4 is closed with a week to go. If Tarf beat Belvo they've top mathematically done. My guess is top 4 stays as is in term of teams and UCD and Con swap positions this week then swap back 2 weeks later. I think YM will take 2nd place.

Without doubt the biggest game in 1A this weekend is wegians v Nure. The loser getting into the playoff everyone wants to avoid.

In 1B game of the week is pretty obvious! Keep flipping in my head between who I think will win it but I think it'll be Marys.

Buccs will probably beat OW and secure 4th place and the final playoff spot.

1A
    Lansdowne 13 Cork Constitution 15, Galwegians 10 Terenure College 14, UCD 10 Ballynahinch 15, Garryowen 8 Young Munster 14, Old Belvedere 21 Clontarf 27
    1B
    Ballymena 22 Dolphin 23, Blackrock College 21 Shannon 19, Buccaneers 25 Old Wesley 9, UL Bohemians 34 Belfast Harlequins 0, St Marys College 9 Dublin University 5
    2A:
    Banbridge 16 Malone 10, Cashel 31 Thomond 5, Naas 33 Skerries 10, Queen's University 7 Corinthians 21, UCC 13 Nenagh Ormond 0
    2B:
    City of Derry 24 MU Barnhall 7, Dungannon 22 Armagh 30, Greystones 24 Sunday's Well 21, Highfield 59 Bective Rangers 7, Rainey Old Boys 15 Seapoint 20
    2C:
    Bruff 34 Dundalk 25, Midleton 21 Boyne 22, Old Crescent 34 Tullamore 29, Sligo 22 Navan 15, Wanderers 10 Kanturk 23,

Round Robin
    Bangor 24 Westport 7, Clonmel v Enniscorthy - match postponed due to waterlogged pitch

Playoffs for promotion from each of 2A/B/C
    Division 2A:
    Second last Division 1B v Cashel;
    Banbridge v UCC;
    Division 2B:
    Skerries v Greystones;
    City of Derry v Sunday's Well;
    Division 2C:
    Rainey Old Boys v Wanderers;
    Tullamore v Bruff;
    Ties to be played 16th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭good_afternoon

Any thoughts on 1A? Are Tarf too strong? Looks like 1 all Dublin semi final and another all Munster, whether it is Cork or Limerick.

Impressive from Marys to come straight back up as champions also whats the the story with playoff in 1B, has any side in top 4 a chance of promotion?

Think Tarf are in a very good place but I really wouldn't write off UCD if they can get a few more bodies back

Con have really impressed me although they perhaps lack a bit more attack than the 2 Dublin teams anyhow - They have a very good pack

Munsters have really surprised me and their form is unrecognizable from the team that started the league

Marys have done really well and have gone a lot better than I expected also. I think Trinity can beat anyone on their day and for me will be very dangerous in the playoffs.

Think we've a good chance if we keep everyone fit and keep getting players released.

UCD are going to be very strong and could easily win it if things fall their way.

Think YM are probably second favourites. Corkery has done a serious job. I think they'll be in the final.

Con a good side but might just lack that little something.

I think Ballymena and Trinity will fancy their chances in the playoff. A few teams have done that recently. Tarf and Belvo both completely dominated on their way back up a few years ago. OB were unbelievable that year

I think Tarf have too much about them, in saying that UCD cannot be written off but I think home advantage will swing it for Tarf.

YM v Con will more than likely depend on which side has home advantage also. Can't see YM getting a BP against Lansdowne so Con may finish second. YM are gritty and tough to beat in Limerick, they are a bit hot and cold on the road but I don't think Con have the fire power to put sides away.

I reckon it will be a 'Tarf v Cons final with 'Tarf winning it out.

• Advertisement

I reckon it will be a 'Tarf v Cons final with 'Tarf winning it out.

I'd be happy enough to see that :):)

Advertisement