Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

CD2017 wrote: »
    OK so in your opinions should I contact them at all? I did request info from them should I request it in writing?

https://www.mabs.ie/ first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

L1011 wrote: »
    Yeah, don't write to them in that manner. They are attempting to reset any clock on the debt being statute barred (which it isn't yet, anyway).

They need to show proof that the debt exists and that will show who legally owns it. BOSI are gone, they sold the loan book.

Sorry to hijack the thread but what exactly is a statute barred debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

And I assume I just go ahead and pay that fee if requested? Is this like an ICB check? TIA

• Advertisement

And I assume I just go ahead and pay that fee if requested? Is this like an ICB check? TIA

I wouldn't even do that yet. Check if you are in a position to apply for a Debt Relief Notice all the info is on the Mabs site.

Thanks again Fred, I am writing to them today. I would prefer to engage in some way and avoid any kind of legal hassle, I dont think I would survive that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Please don't worry about Cabot. I have helped lots of people that are being harassed by them by letter and by phone and I don't charge for this service. In every case they backed off once they received a letter as follows: If you want to put a stop to it write them a letter and say you received their note but you don't have a contract with them for any goods or services and so you wont be paying them but if they contact the original owner of the alleged debt you will be happy to deal with them. Remind them of their responsibilities under Data Protection with regard to proper safeguarding of your personal data and also the Regulators Code of Conduct with regard to non regulated entities and I promise you will hear no more. Send me a PM and I can talk to you on the phone if you need further help. Again they are not worth the worry.

Please don't worry about Cabot. I have helped lots of people that are being harassed by them by letter and by phone and I don't charge for this service. In every case they backed off once they received a letter as follows: If you want to put a stop to it write them a letter and say you received their note but you don't have a contract with them for any goods or services and so you wont be paying them but if they contact the original owner of the alleged debt you will be happy to deal with them. Remind them of their responsibilities under Data Protection with regard to proper safeguarding of your personal data and also the Regulators Code of Conduct with regard to non regulated entities and I promise you will hear no more. Send me a PM and I can talk to you on the phone if you need further help. Again they are not worth the worry.

Thanks Aileen, I am away for a few days now but I will get in contact with you upon my return. I did send a letter requesting info they have, I will also send this one when Im back. Thanks again, really appreciate the help xx

• Advertisement

HI All,

I did get a letter back from them requesting the €6.35 but they also want a copy of my passport or drivers licence, is this normal? I'm very hesitant to send them anything like that to be honest as I don't trust them as far as I would throw them.

TIA

I wouldn't trust them but they have to comply with the law too in making sure they don't give your details to the wrong person.

I would also stress in any reply that you are not acknowledging anything and that the €6.35 is only to cover the statutory fee.

I called the ICB and they said my debt has been sold so I can only assume that Cabot do own it. BOSI definitely don't. I was in the credit union and I can borrow €5k which I could offer them as full settlement. At this point I would do it to just be able to sleep at night. I do owe them money so I need to do something.

I called the ICB and they said my debt has been sold so I can only assume that Cabot do own it. BOSI definitely don't. I was in the credit union and I can borrow €5k which I could offer them as full settlement. At this point I would do it to just be able to sleep at night. I do owe them money so I need to do something.

Make them an offer then. They didn't pay €5k for the debt I doubt they paid 10% of that so offer them 20% €1k as full and final settlement.

But first get all the info from the Data Protection request so thats on your record and shows you have some cop on and aren't going to be a walk over.

Obviously negotiate if they make a counter offer.

Edit> If you really have no money you should at least investigate getting a Debt Release Notice as detailed on the mabs site.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,073 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I called the ICB and they said my debt has been sold so I can only assume that Cabot do own it. BOSI definitely don't. .

I'd be very, very certain that Cabot don't. BOSI sold their loan books in full, and the buyer is likely working through distressed loans via collectors rather than re-selling.

my3cents wrote: »
    Make them an offer then. They didn't pay €5k for the debt I doubt they paid 10% of that so offer them 20% €1k as full and final settlement.

But first get all the info from the Data Protection request so thats on your record and shows you have some cop on and aren't going to be a walk over.

Obviously negotiate if they make a counter offer.

Edit> If you really have no money you should at least investigate getting a Debt Release Notice as detailed on the mabs site.

Sorry I forget that your original debt was €17k and BCW would accept €9k and were going to accept your counter offer of 5k but never replied.

How much are Cabot and Belgard asking for?

I really would be telling Cabot and Belgard that they need to sort out with BCW and give you the correct figure of the amount outstanding before you pay them a penny. Its all looks a bit messy for C&B to be taking court action even if that was their intention.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to pay the €6.35 and get that info, account is on hold until then. I will definitely request that they get correct info from BCW and go from there. I will make a small settlement offer and work up from there if all appears to be in order with them. I would prefer to pay direct to whoever owns the debt but what's the likelihood of finding that out

That would be unwise until ownership of any debt is established.

Sorry that's what I meant, as in if they can prove they own the debt I will pay them. Would I be right in saying that as long as I am in contact with them about this they won't bring me to court? My job is suffering as a result of all of this and I really can't afford to loose it ...

• Advertisement

But you are falling for their spiel and psychological mind games.

It's the threat of court action I suppose. I'm terrified that if I was brought to court they would take my car or something in lieu of the amount as there's no way I can pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

But you are falling for their spiel and psychological mind games.
    There's a name for this!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning_(process)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

vandriver wrote: »

Dunning is an everyday term for the collection of accounts in any company using SAP systems. It does not imply aggressive collection techniques.

Dunning is an everyday term for the collection of accounts in any company using SAP systems. It does not imply aggressive collection techniques.
    Wikipedia disagrees....'
    Communications progresses from gentle reminders to threatening letters.....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

vandriver wrote: »
    Wikipedia disagrees....'
    Communications progresses from gentle reminders to threatening letters.....'

Doesn't change the fact that all account collection within SAP systems are referred to as the Dunning Process.

Doesn't change the fact that all account collection within SAP systems are referred to as the Dunning Process.
    We agree then!Any escalating system of debt collection is Dunning.The only difference is the timing and severity of the threats.
    (You can assign different texts to each Dunning level on an account,and select the interval that you want the letters to go out)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not just SAP. Oracle and other systems also have dunning letters. It's a general term which refers to a series of reminder letters which gradually escalate in tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP ask MABS for advice. You have the option of insolvency or at least the threat of it

The likes of a debt relief notice might be an option. MABS should be able to advise you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Listen to all the posters that have advised you to talk to mabs. If you really want to avoid any legal action, go talk to them. Then, you'll have a real person to talk to about this and to help you through this process. The posters here are faceless and while we all mean well, we can't offer you a face to face chat when you need it most. Imo l think having a real person to deal with is what you need. The psychology of the game is getting to you.

Advertisement