Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

You should not pay. Wrote to AVANT cards in Carrick on Shannon (address on internet) and ask them for documentary evidence they sold your debt to Cabot/Belgard. Don't admit the debt just refer to the 'alleged deb't. Tell them it is necessary under Data Protection and Financial Regulator guidelines to have your the customer consent in writing to the transfer and to show you evidence you did. Belgard/Cabot are a shower of cowboys that will bully you into a high interest loan. They buy your debt for a tenth of the amt outstanding and bully you into submission. You will agree a repayment with Belgard and they will look for more lump sums a few months later. Also ask Avant why did they pass personal data to Cabvot without your consent. Mention the Data Protection Commissioner. I can tell you the calls and letters will stop very quick. Your contract is with AVANT and you deal with AVANT only. Happy to help you draft the letter if you want - I don't charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should not pay. Wrote to AVANT cards in Carrick on Shannon (address on internet) and ask them for documentary evidence they sold your debt to Cabot/Belgard. Don't admit the debt just refer to the 'alleged deb't. Tell them it is necessary under Data Protection and Financial Regulator guidelines to have your the customer consent in writing to the transfer and to show you evidence you did. Belgard/Cabot are a shower of cowboys that will bully you into a high interest loan. They buy your debt for a tenth of the amt outstanding and bully you into submission. You will agree a repayment with Belgard and they will look for more lump sums a few months later. Also ask Avant why did they pass personal data to Cabvot without your consent. Mention the Data Protection Commissioner. I can tell you the calls and letters will stop very quick. Your contract is with AVANT and you deal with AVANT only. Happy to help you draft the letter if you want - I don't charge.

The OP borrowed money off Bank of Scotland Ireland, not Avantcard/MBNA

BOSI have absolutely, definitively sold their loan book to someone. I'm pretty certain its not Cabot but it has been legally sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

I received a letter from Bank Of Scotland stating they did in fact sell the debt to Cabot so when they have provided me with all the info I will offer them a settlement figure I think ... Raging! I was hoping I could deal with someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

If you read the terms of the contract their right to pass on this information or the debt will be well covered. It's almost like they went to a highly respected and well established law firm when they got here and has the contracts drawn up by professionals.

If you mention anyone it has to be Timmy Mallett, the guy was a legend.

Either pay it, speak to MABS or don't pay it. If you don't pay it they've a right to reasonably contact you, but beyond that tell them any harassment will be reported to the guards and if they want to take you to court you'll see them there.

I received my Data Subject Access Request from them but there are no statements from BOSI and no original documents from the original lender either, they only have letters from Cabot and Belgard and the 1 phonecall I made to them originally on their file.

Should I request the original paperwork and statements from them or just make no contact with them? Its over 10 days since I received last letter with the info they have but no contact since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

CD2017 wrote: »
    I received my Data Subject Access Request from them but there are no statements from BOSI and no original documents from the original lender either, they only have letters from Cabot and Belgard and the 1 phonecall I made to them originally on their file.

Should I request the original paperwork and statements from them or just make no contact with them? Its over 10 days since I received last letter with the info they have but no contact since.

They don't have the paperwork necessary to prove you owe the money in a court so I don't see how they can do anything other than pester you.

Hopefully they should now realise that you now know they can't do anything other than pester you so won't bother.

Edit> What did you request from you originally? If you requested everything they hold on you they can't really come along later with new documents.

Thanks my3cents, I was thinking the same thing, that they probably can't pursue the debt without all the relevant documentation. I'll hold off on contacting them until they contact me and will just request all evidence or any evidence of the debt if and when they do.

I requested that they send "all information" they they hold on me...

If they have withheld information there'll be consequences from the DPC - albeit they are almost useless.

They likely have zero proof - I'd ignore further comms from them.

Hi Guys,

Quick update incase anyone following was in a similar situation to me. I haven't heard a thing from them since requesting the paperwork (which they couldn't provide)... I don't know if thats the end of it or if they will give chase again but at least next time I know how to deal with them.

Thanks for all the advice xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I suspect you'll hear no more from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Just seen this thread and I had a question if you don't mind. I had an mbna card and was paying my debt weekly with them, when I lost my job in 09 i was only able to get part time work so my payments became somewhat erratic.

Last year cabot contacted me with a demand for €4440 and I made arrangements to pay at €20 a week despite having lost my pt job and being reliant totally on social welfare.

Having read this thread I am wondering does this crowd charge interest on the amount outstanding? I am mid way through college and struggling to pay this every week so I was thinking of asking them to reduce it to €10 but if they are charging interest then it's better off staying at the higher amount to pay faster if you follow me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

€20 per week is 18.5 years to clear the debt if they are charging more than 4-5% interest you would never pay the debt off at €20 per week ?

€20 euro per week is €1040 per year so appox 4 years to clear it. not sure about interest which is why i posted.

excuse my maths but how do you figure 18 years?

also, i have never had any paperwork to show how much i have paid etc. is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'm pretty certain they don't charge interest.

You need to keep solid records of what you've paid as they don't. In particular, MBNA/Avantcard settlements have a habit of going missing and requiring proof based on threads we've had here before.

it's a direct debit so its just a matter of keeping count of the weeks lol. upon reflection halving the payment means doubling the term...think i will just suffer it for next 3 years and get it over and done

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

soups05 wrote: »
    it's a direct debit so its just a matter of keeping count of the weeks lol. upon reflection halving the payment means doubling the term...think i will just suffer it for next 3 years and get it over and done

If you can put a lump sum together, you should consider making an offer. From what I've heard, they're quite receptive to this. Would save you in the long term.

• Advertisement

sadly not an option, maybe when i graduate and (hopefully) find a job, to years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

soups05 wrote: »
    €20 euro per week is €1040 per year so appox 4 years to clear it. not sure about interest which is why i posted.

excuse my maths but how do you figure 18 years?

My bad picked it up as per month :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I cancelled my Eircom account in August due to a price increase. When I queried my final bill I was told I had a credit balance of €24 (approx) and would receive a refund cheque by post. It took 3 months but cheque arrived 3 weeks ago. Happy days, or so I thought.

Friday last week arrived home to a letter from Cabot saying they are chasing a debt on behalf of Eircom. €36 approx. I am stunned. How can they issue a refund and then say I owe them? Amount doesn't make sense as I was on €92 p.m contract. Any suggestions? I've contacted Eir on boards and also contacted COMREG as am sure there could be data protection issues here. If they say no data protection breach what else can I do? I don't owe anything that is for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you post the modem back? I'm guessing not.

Yep, posted back and confirmed received.

Update: Eir have just replied to confirm no amount is due. Who should I lodge a case with I relation to passing on my details to a third party for no reason, COMREG or data protection commissioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

SteoL wrote: »
    Yep, posted back and confirmed received.

Update: Eir have just replied to confirm no amount is due. Who should I lodge a case with I relation to passing on my details to a third party for no reason, COMREG or data protection commissioner?

Have a look at this. As far as I know Cabot are regulated now so therfore answerable to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

https://www.financialombudsman.ie/make-a-complaint/

Have a look at this. As far as I know Cabot are regulated now so therfore answerable to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

https://www.financialombudsman.ie/make-a-complaint/

Thanks for that. Think my issue with Eir though, as opposed to Cabot. I called Cabot this morning after Eir confirmed no debt is owed and they said they'll investigate with Eir so if I receive any further correspondence relating to this I will be even more annoyed. My issue now is Eir providing my details to a third party for absolutely no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Got a lovely letter from them this morning regarding a Three Bill.

Was on a JobBridge scheme and fell for the your been kept on spiel so I decided to get a phone on contract. After the JobBridge ended I signed of the dole and went to work, worked for a full month and no pay only to be told, the company couldn't afford to take me on. Now I am following up that debt since.

As a result getting back on the dole was a nightmare, It is due next week I hope but in the mean time the bill went into the red.
    My outstanding balance with Three is 140 quid. I have informed the collections team of my predicament.

I received the letter this morning looking for the outstanding balance of 680. Which is fair enough as I broke the contract.

I am starting new job in January so will be able to clear the debt January but they where very ignorant on the phone and very demanding.

I am seriously thinking of ignoring them until January as when I contacted them and engaged them but they want payment inside two weeks or I will face legal action.

Would ignoring them for 8 weeks and then paying be advisable or can they really commence legal action within two weeks

Irrelevant as this actually is to the situation, it was vastly irresponsible of a network to *give* a contract to someone on Jobbridge, assuming you told them the truth. Back in my day (and I'm not THAT old) I had to make a hefty enough deposit (hundreds of euro) due to only having a few months with a specific employer and another lower deposit (60 I think) to turn on roaming!

There is a tiny chance of legal action for 680 quid - additionally, two weeks is in to the Christmas period where everything slows down. Paying them in January is unlikely to have any consequences.

• Advertisement

Hi guys it’s been a long time since my last post but out of the blue I received a letter from Cabot today stating it’s a “final attempt” to resolve the matter. They also state they are willing to discuss the repayments being made on a reduced basis. They said they will ask a judge to register a judgement mortgage against my property (I don’t own a house and the debt is registered to my dads address) They have also threatened to send the sheriff to my address to reclaim the debt - Wow! They said it’s in my best interest to clear the debt!
    A year ago I asked for “all information” they hold to be sent to me and they had nothing besides their own letters, nothing from the original lender etc... how can they proceed to court without the information? I’m sure they don’t have it as I sent the €6.35 and did the full request!

Really don’t need this right now, this letter was really threatening. Any advice would be welcome please and thanks x

Advertisement