Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jebi1717

ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

This post has been deleted.
    Hi Fred,
    You seem to know how the legal cabot belgards system works.

from cabot

'we enclose herewith a true copy of claim notice issued herein by way of service upon you'
    can you help me with this and what should I do?
    paric

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Karl_1974

Hi all, just got a letter from Cabot Financial requesting me to pay 96 euros!!! I cancelled my three.ie broadband direct debit in February, and never answer their calls since there. They didn't sent me any letter. What to do with these Cabot guys? Ignore them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Karl_1974 wrote: »
    Hi all, just got a letter from Cabot Financial requesting me to pay 96 euros!!! I cancelled my three.ie broadband direct debit in February, and never answer their calls since there. They didn't sent me any letter. What to do with these Cabot guys? Ignore them???

Do you owe money?

I don't owe any money to Cabot!! If I owe something is to three Ireland, because you cannot deal with them when trying to close your broadband account. I just cancelled the direct debit and that was it. They surely continue to charge me, and as they didn't got the money contacted this Cabot Financial agency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Then deal with 3 and clear the debt with them.

It seems that Three Ireland doesn't want to answer any complaints or queries about their service once they pass the costumer details to Cabot Financial!! What a crowd of useless people! I am formally consulting with authorities in concern to this. But I am afraid won't have any luck. It seems that consumers in Ireland have little or no reason against service companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shadow22

Pay them nothing. <SNIP> Money has this world gone crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shadow22 wrote: »
    Pay them nothing. <SNIP> Money has this world gone crazy

"They"? Cabot Financial or Belgard Solicitors?

Or are you making stuff up.

If you owe a service provider money, you need to pay it. If they're insisting you talk to a third party, insist on proof that the third party now actually owns the debt. There is no reason to let the third party get a cent in comission.

My post was edited

<SNIP>
    And also not every body is blessed with the means to pay these institutions, people took out finance and then situations change

• Advertisement

And Cabot financial are belgard solicitors

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Shadow22 - Yes, your post was edited. This should have been a hint to you that this unfounded comment was not welcome here on Boards. Please do not post it for a third time.

dudara

So if you dont agree with someone's opinion and FACT you edit there post to protect a company that does these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So if you dont agree with someone's opinion and FACT you edit there post to protect a company that does these things.

Firstly, if you want to continue this discussion, you can do so via PM. Do not debate this further on the thread as it is distracting.

Secondly, yes, we will delete potentially defamatory comments that are not evidenced. Posting such comments leaves you, and Boards, open to charges of defamation. And this is not something we will allow. It is to protect you from potential legal charges and to protect Boards from potential legal charges.

And also not every body is blessed with the means to pay these institutions, people took out finance and then situations change

Ignoring it won't make it go away.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Karl_1974 wrote: »
    I don't owe any money to Cabot!! If I owe something is to three Ireland, because you cannot deal with them when trying to close your broadband account. I just cancelled the direct debit and that was it. They surely continue to charge me, and as they didn't got the money contacted this Cabot Financial agency.

You owe money to Three and Three are perfectly entitled to hire debt collectors to recover it. The debt is not legally enforceable but Cabot can, and will, continue hassling you until you cough up.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

If you can't afford topay it or they turn down your offer of payment or proposed payment plan make an appointment with Mabs and get them to deal with them.
    I had to as they were harrassing my parents, even though I was in contact with cabot/belgard, and they had all my current contact details

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me. I had a loan with Halifax (Bank of Scotland Ireland) back in April 2009 which when I was made redundant and Halifax closed down I could no afford to repay. It was passed to debt collection agent called BCW which I did speak to and confirm the debt on many occasions and I paid what I could, roughly €25 per week for many years until about a year ago I received a call from them saying they would accept a payment of €9000 (my debt is €17K), I said at the time I did not have €9000 but could possibly borrow €5000 from family if they would accept this. They said they would and would send correspondence to confirm.
    That was the last time I heard from them. My debt seems to have been passed to this horrible Cabot/Belgard crowd. I got a call from them last year asking about the debt which I denied any knowledge of as I had never heard of them, I said if I owed them something could they please send me a full statement and the original signed application for the debt so I could confirm if it was in fact mine. I heard nothing until a week ago when I received a "solicitors" letter threatening me with legal action if I did not pay in 7 days. From reading this thread I'm guessing its unlikely that I will be taken to court that quickly. I just want to see if anyone could advise what I should do?
    I'm not trying to get away from my debt (lovely and all as that would be) but I don't think the figure they have is correct and I know they cannot provide me with paperwork etc. Should I offer a small monthly payment to them again or see if I can get a settlement figure? I'm terrified of whats going to happen to me, I can't sleep or eat with worry. I'm a single mum and working hard just to keep everything going as it is. I do have a small savings account but its for my child as when school or college comes I would never have a lot of money to look everything.

I would really really appreciate any advice on what way I should go with this. I got my ICB report and the debt is there but it shows a balance of €0 since November 2015 and in box 24 (most recent) it shows an A (Account assigned to another party). Thanks in advance!!!! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

CD2017 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me. I had a loan with Halifax (Bank of Scotland Ireland) back in April 2009 which when I was made redundant and Halifax closed down I could no afford to repay. It was passed to debt collection agent called BCW which I did speak to and confirm the debt on many occasions and I paid what I could, roughly €25 per week for many years until about a year ago I received a call from them saying they would accept a payment of €9000 (my debt is €17K), I said at the time I did not have €9000 but could possibly borrow €5000 from family if they would accept this. They said they would and would send correspondence to confirm.
    That was the last time I heard from them. My debt seems to have been passed to this horrible Cabot/Belgard crowd. I got a call from them last year asking about the debt which I denied any knowledge of as I had never heard of them, I said if I owed them something could they please send me a full statement and the original signed application for the debt so I could confirm if it was in fact mine. I heard nothing until a week ago when I received a "solicitors" letter threatening me with legal action if I did not pay in 7 days. From reading this thread I'm guessing its unlikely that I will be taken to court that quickly. I just want to see if anyone could advise what I should do?
    I'm not trying to get away from my debt (lovely and all as that would be) but I don't think the figure they have is correct and I know they cannot provide me with paperwork etc. Should I offer a small monthly payment to them again or see if I can get a settlement figure? I'm terrified of whats going to happen to me, I can't sleep or eat with worry. I'm a single mum and working hard just to keep everything going as it is. I do have a small savings account but its for my child as when school or college comes I would never have a lot of money to look everything.

I would really really appreciate any advice on what way I should go with this. I got my ICB report and the debt is there but it shows a balance of €0 since November 2015 and in box 24 (most recent) it shows an A (Account assigned to another party). Thanks in advance!!!! xx

I would say for 9K (and whatever interest) they will probably go down the legal route.

I would say for 9K (and whatever interest) they will probably go down the legal route.

17k - 9k was a settlement offer.

You need to engage with whoever now owns the debt - BOSI sold their loan books here so it could be almost anyone. For a debt of this scale it is possible that Cabot have actually bought it; but I'd imagine its someone like Cerberus.

I would also suggest talking to MABS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I really doubt it. If they don't have the paper work to prove the debt exists then they cannot go the legal route.

Why would one bottom feeder take that chance when another has already given up?

If CD2017 can't pay then its a waste of money taking them to court because the debt still won't be paid. As one solicitor once said to me "you can't get blood out of a stone".

my3cents wrote: »
    I really doubt it. If they don't have the paper work to prove the debt exists then they cannot go the legal route.

Why would one bottom feeder take that chance when another has already given up?

If CD2017 can't pay then its a waste of money taking them to court because the debt still won't be paid. As one solicitor once said to me "you can't get blood out of a stone".

Its more likely BOSI used one agent and the new owners of the loan book use another.

Engaging with the actual owners about the debt is the sensible option if you can't pay the full amount or even a settlement figure. You may be able to negotiate a weekly payment plan again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

L1011 wrote: »
    Its more likely BOSI used one agent and the new owners of the loan book use another.

Engaging with the actual owners about the debt is the sensible option if you can't pay the full amount or even a settlement figure. You may be able to negotiate a weekly payment plan again.

The problem is getting in contact with whoever owns the debt. Almost any contact with the debt collectors will be seen as a sign of weakness and will probably just increase their efforts. MABS would be a good start.

I called them this morning before seeing your replies (thank you), WOW people weren't kidding when they said they can be a**holes! I couldnt get a word in edgeways. Anyway he asked me to respond to their letter in writing with details of my knowledge of the debt etc and I said I would not do that until they provided me with evidence of the debt they think I owe etc. He said they wouldnt send me anything until I wrote to them which I again said I would not as I have never had dealings with Cabot or Belgard and have no evidence that I owe them anything. He got very irate with me and said he was just trying to help me (as if). He asked if I could pay €100 today and I said no as number 1 I don't have it and number 2 I don't know what I would be paying it for.
    We went around in circles until he finally got fed up and said he would put notes on the file that I wouldn't cooperate. I stopped him and said I am fully willing to cooperate if in-fact I owe Cabot or Belgard money and that if in fact his calls were recorded at no point did I say I wouldn't. He said grand and basically hung up.
    I'm shook after the whole experience. I'm going to see if BOSI are contactable and see if I can come to some arrangement directly with them. Although the fact that my ICB says balance of zero with them Im not sure they will help me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Yes I thought so too! Im just at my wits end...

Yeah, don't write to them in that manner. They are attempting to reset any clock on the debt being statute barred (which it isn't yet, anyway).

They need to show proof that the debt exists and that will show who legally owns it. BOSI are gone, they sold the loan book.

OK so in your opinions should I contact them at all? I did request info from them should I request it in writing?

CD2017 wrote: »
    OK so in your opinions should I contact them at all? I did request info from them should I request it in writing?

If they don't provide the info, request it in writing, but ensure not to at any stage say you owe the money - they will never be off your back then.

Request proof of the debt they claim exists, and then approach whoever actually owns it to arrange some form of payment plan. Cabot will want a huge chunk or to gain a court judgement only.

• Advertisement

Ok thank you I will give it a few days and will write to them requesting any details they have.

Advertisement