Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

I'm not sure why you feel the need to lecture people. Apart from that, it doesn't help/inform the OP in any way.
    You post inaccurate information and then proceed to lecture people you know nothing of.
    Move along.

I think davo10 was role playing rather then lecturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm not sure why you feel the need to lecture people. Apart from that, it doesn't help/inform the OP in any way.
    You post inaccurate information and then proceed to lecture people you know nothing of.
    Move along.

Ok so, that's an equally constructive post but I'll take the bait. If you mean I "lectured people" by saying they agreed to the t&cs when taking out a loan is wrong, you are assuming that either they didn't understand or didn't care about what they agreed to, is this wrong? A car loan of €12k is a substantial debt by any standards irrespective of whether the person cannot or choses not to pay, it will not go away, the amount is too much. Please give us the benefit of your insight, should he/she not pay and risk a judgement or agree to a payment schedule?, the floor is yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

You just ruined my previous comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

omnithanos wrote: »
    You just ruined my previous comment.

I know, I didn't mean too but It's either Americas got talent or reply to Tosser, it's a tough call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

davo10 wrote: »
    Ok so, that's an equally constructive post but I'll take the bait. If you mean I "lectured people" by saying they agreed to the t&cs when taking out a loan is wrong, you are assuming that either they didn't understand or didn't care about what they agreed to, is this wrong? A car loan of €12k is a substantial debt by any standards irrespective of whether the person cannot or choses not to pay, it will not go away, the amount is too much. Please give us the benefit of your insight, should he/she not pay and risk a judgement or agree to a payment schedule?, the floor is yours.

Quite simply it is off topic. Your view on debt and the rights and wrongs of how people get in to debt or default on it, is utterly irrelevant.
    Then, you also post inaccurate information, because you couldn't be bothered to read up on the legislation.
    I don't care about your views on debt and neither does the OP I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 reddevildazz

Thanks for your info/tips folks. I have been talking to MABS and was able to set up an arrangement with Cabot financial but I am still getting these calls/letters that I will be brought to court.

The first person who said if I got a lump sum I should offer them 2000, we'll I didn't get any lump sum in way of inheritance or anything so I can't offer them anything near the 12,000 they are looking for.

The original loan with GE Money/Pepper was pre approved. I was only in the new job 3 weeks when I was offered the loan.

Needless to say I have learned a massive lesson. I am having to deal with a lot at the moment personally and no matter how I explain that to Cabot they will not listen.

I am not one of these people who simply do not want to pay. I need to get this debt of my shoulders, I'm just looking for a way which would suit both myself and them.

Appreciate all your thoughts on this. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Move along.
    Quite simply it is off topic. Your view on debt and the rights and wrongs of how people get in to debt or default on it, is utterly irrelevant.
    Then, you also post inaccurate information, because you couldn't be bothered to read up on the legislation.
    I don't care about your views on debt and neither does the OP I'd imagine.
    @Yosser Hughes: Leave out the backseat moderating. If you have an issue with a post then use the report function and let the moderators deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Under the current civil debt legislation, utility companies including Irish Water as well as sole traders can apply to the courts to recover payment of debts ranging from €500 to €4,000. The money can be repaid through reductions from certain social welfare payments or through attachment of earnings, if the court so decides. Consumer debts owed to financial institutions or licensed moneylenders arising from loans are excluded from the scope of the legislation.

edit: just saw Fred's post above.
    @davo10 why would you post misleading information? If you don't know the facts, don't post inaccuracies.

AFAIK social welfare payments are excluded from the above bill. Attachments are to wages and private pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Thanks for your info/tips folks. I have been talking to MABS and was able to set up an arrangement with Cabot financial but I am still getting these calls/letters that I will be brought to court.

The first person who said if I got a lump sum I should offer them 2000, we'll I didn't get any lump sum in way of inheritance or anything so I can't offer them anything near the 12,000 they are looking for.

The original loan with GE Money/Pepper was pre approved. I was only in the new job 3 weeks when I was offered the loan.

Needless to say I have learned a massive lesson. I am having to deal with a lot at the moment personally and no matter how I explain that to Cabot they will not listen.

I am not one of these people who simply do not want to pay. I need to get this debt of my shoulders, I'm just looking for a way which would suit both myself and them.

Appreciate all your thoughts on this. Cheers.
    Carry on with the payments agreed if it is within your means and ignore all calls and letters and get on with your life and things will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

So what's the general consensus here? Just ignore them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

omnithanos wrote: »
    I got a couple of texts from Cabot asking me to phone them urgently. Then a few months later I got a phone call from Belgard telling me they were acting for Cabot. They asked me to confirm my home address which I didn't do. I've never received any correspondence from either and I've been at the same address for the past 18 years so should I just ignore them?

Maybe they've been sending letters to a previous business address or something.

My level of honesty is such that my daughter was 11 last week and we will be going to a theme park next month who charge adult prices for over 11's. I will be paying full price but I did seriously consider purchasing the child ticket.
    Never engage with these or any other collection agencies over the phone, politely place the phone handset into the nearest cubbard when you get these calls and wait several minutes for them to hang up, do this every time and they will have to write to you properly. If they keep ringing make a harrassment complaint to the Gardai!
    Uncle Ben wrote: »
    AFAIK social welfare payments are excluded from the above bill. Attachments are to wages and private pensions.
    I stated this in a couple of other threads but was shot down immediately, but it is the case that most social welfare payments up to a certain basic minimum level are not included!
    AFAIK the basic minimum social welfare rate is exempt, this means that only those getting extra payments like those with private pensions and people getting a half rate carers allowance etc can be chased but only for the amount over and above the personal minimum rate of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think the best advice would be to get professional advice.
    If reddevildazz has been keeping up his/her side of the MABS agreement negotiated with Cabot then they should not be threatening him/her with legal action. Normally telling the debt agency that you are meeting the agreed repayments and to desist in making further demands should be enough, but in this case, given the sums involved it would be prudent to be cautious. Go back to MABS, they should be able to advise you on the appropriate response which may involve advising you to get legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nemo26

As a result of my complaint I got a letter of apology from Cabot on Fri. Yet as a "gesture" of goodwill they have written off my "debt"!!

Kind of them to write it off when it was a figment of their imagination!!

Cabot & Belgard are currently being featured on Liveline on RTE.

We should all formalise our complaints to TDs , Data Protection Commissioner & Consumers Assoc.

THESE PEOPLE MUST BE EFFECTIVELY REGULATED NOW!!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hello all

Could somebody help me? In 2008 I got a car loan through GE Money. When I lost my job due to the recession I had a plan in place that for the first 6 months or so I was out of work GE Money would make those loan repayments.

While I was out of work I had to start caring for my grandmother and when the time was up on GE Money making the repayments I was unable to make them myself so I gave up the car.

The car went to auction and was sold for considerably less than what it was worth.

2 years later I received a letter in the post from GE Money saying I owed the remaining debt. As I was not working at the time I made an agreement with them that I would pay what I could.

A year later I was sent letters etc from this Cabot financial crowd saying that I owed them the money and to pay up or I was been brought to court (I am still getting these letters and phone calls to this day). I gave GE Money, now known as Pepper, a call and they said my debt had been sold to this Cabot crowd.

According to them I still owe upwards of €12000 . Since my grandmother died in 2013 I wasn't able to find work so I went back to college that August and finished in June of this year.

I am now on Jobseekers Allowance and trying to pay what I can but it's not enough for this Cabot crowd. I am still getting letters by them, a place called Belgard Solicitors and getting harassing phone calls.

Since my grandmother died I have been in treatment for depression and anxiety. I can't see a way out of this predicament and just want to find a way to settle this debt. Does anybody know if Cabot financial would accept a lower number to clear the debt. I'm at my wits end.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you approached your local MABS office for advice? You may be eligible to apply for a Debt Relief Notice which would freeze all your debts for up to three years to give you a chance to improve your financial situation. And if after three years your situation hasn't sufficiently improved, your debts are written off completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Well done nemo 26 can I ask did you threaten data protection on them? this definitely works. It worked for me and for five other people that did the same thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

nemo26 wrote: »
    As a result of my complaint I got a letter of apology from Cabot on Fri. Yet as a "gesture" of goodwill they have written off my "debt"!!
    Kind of them to write it off when it was a figment of their imagination!!
    Cabot & Belgard are currently being featured on Liveline on RTE.
    We should all formalise our complaints to TDs , Data Protection Commissioner & Consumers Assoc.
    THESE PEOPLE MUST BE EFFECTIVELY REGULATED NOW!!!

Why don't you all go to the Law Society?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anybody hear the liveline programme or got the gist of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I think the best advice would be to get professional advice.
    If reddevildazz has been keeping up his/her side of the MABS agreement negotiated with Cabot then they should not be threatening him/her with legal action. Normally telling the debt agency that you are meeting the agreed repayments and to desist in making further demands should be enough, but in this case, given the sums involved it would be prudent to be cautious. Go back to MABS, they should be able to advise you on the appropriate response which may involve advising you to get legal advice.

A big +1 here. The OP is clearly finding the situation stressful and doesn't need that at the moment. An intermediary third party ( solicitor/MABS) to act on your behalf and to help agree something reasonable is required. I'm a real big believer in paying what you owe and not shirking financial responsibility or mistakes. Unfortunately, when a debt is just becoming unsustainable is the best to time to act (sell the asset/car) repay what you can upfront, do a deal on the rest. By the time a car is repossessed etc, your choices are being taken away and your at the mercy of an agency with apparently few scruples. Hard lesson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Send the text of this letter to the debt collections agency and you will hear no more! Would love your feedback when you see how this works.

Dear Cabot/Pepper/GE Money etc
    Pursuant under my rights under Irish Data Protection Law and as outlined in the Consumer Protection Code of the Financial Regulator in Ireland, I am formally requesting that you CEASE and DESIST all communication with me immediately as well as my family/friends in relation to the alleged debts you claim I owe.

You are hearby notified that if you do not comply with this request, I will immediately file a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner regarding your misuse of my personal data and I will also lodge a complaint with the Irish Financial Regulator (including provision of an audio recording of all your calls to me for verification and monitoring purposes) and these will be used as required to compensate me for your breaches of compliance.

(OPTIONAL insert only if applicable) I am happy to communicate with my original product provider (NAME the original bank you took out the loan with) but require the usual confirmation from them in order to do so which I have not received.

To conclude you are formally advised to CEASE and DESIST completely.

Yours sincerely

XXXX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Teaandcoffee

Hi guys,

MBNA passed my debt onto Cabot and now Cabot have passed on my debt to Belgard. I am told that court action will be next week. I am contesting the debt they say I owe. I have asked for a breakdown of my supposed debt but they say they do not have that only a total balance what they believe I owe. It is like they have taking this figure out of thin air.

Should I address Cabot as they say they now own the debt and not MBNA/AVANT?

Thank you for your reply.

I asked a third party professional to write to them on my behalf some time ago as I was feeling pressured by them. They agreed to deal with the third party.

I informed them that I have not received a loan statement from them in years and they now claim the statements were sent to the third party. I know this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Hi guys,

MBNA passed my debt onto Cabot and now Cabot have passed on my debt to Belgard. I am told that court action will be next week. I am contesting the debt they say I owe. I have asked for a breakdown of my supposed debt but they say they do not have that only a total balance what they believe I owe. It is like they have taking this figure out of thin air.

Should I address Cabot as they say they now own the debt and not MBNA/AVANT?

Have you received anything from the courts service telling you to be in court next week? What exactly does the letter say with regard to court?
    I suspect Fred is correct there. It's hot air from them trying to frighten you. Report them to the Law Society and Financial Ombudsman.

Hi, no I didn't receive any correspondence from the courts. When I spoke with cabot/belgard they told me they now owned the debt; showed no proof of ownership and only issued a statement when I asked them to. The statement was void of payments ever sent to AVANT merely a piece of paper with a balance outstanding.

They threatened a judgement which supposedly will be happening this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Ignore these letters. If its 6 years+ since you closed your credit card accounts with MBNA DO NOT ADMIT OR ACKNOWLEDGE YOU HAD AN ACCOUNT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi, no I didn't receive any correspondence from the courts. When I spoke with cabot/belgard they told me they now owned the debt; showed no proof of ownership and only issued a statement when I asked them to. The statement was void of payments ever sent to AVANT merely a piece of paper with a balance outstanding.

They threatened a judgement which supposedly will be happening this week.

Good for them, I'd be saying "Who are you" "What debt" "don't call here again"

FFS I could ring you and say I own the debt and now you owe me money.

An interesting few days - I contacted AVANT and was told to contact Cabot direct as my debt had been sold to them. I asked them to put this in writing which they did.

I contacted Cabot who informed me that they only received a total amount due from AVANT and this is the amount they will continue to pursue. They also said monthly loan statements were out of their remit!

Should I take this directly to the data commissioner?

• Advertisement

Advertisement