Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

CD2017 wrote: »
    My debt is passed the time where they can pursue it so I assume it being recorded on the CCR is only relevant to me if I wish to borrow?

Good to point out that info re the older posts though, I wouldn’t have even thought of the CCR and my situation could have been very different so thanks!

You can get your CCR report for free. Very simple process and quick too.
    It would be interesting to see if your debt is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

You can get your CCR report for free. Very simple process and quick too.
    It would be interesting to see if your debt is on it.

I had a look on my phone this morning and there was no option to request it just lots of information about the reports. If anyone has a link for requesting I’d appreciate it and I’ll certainly let you know if it’s there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I had a look on my phone this morning and there was no option to request it just lots of information about the reports. If anyone has a link for requesting I’d appreciate it and I’ll certainly let you know if it’s there

https://www.centralcreditregister.ie/borrower-area/submit-a-request/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

That’s as far as I got earlier and there is no link to apply or it certainly doesn’t work on the phone. I’ll phone them or try on the laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,076 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That’s as far as I got earlier and there is no link to apply or it certainly doesn’t work on the phone. I’ll phone them or try on the laptop

You need access to a scanner I believe; its rather convoluted compared to the ICB, where you just pay them online and it comes a few days later

https://www.myrequest.centralcreditregister.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

My debt is passed the time where they can pursue it so I assume it being recorded on the CCR is only relevant to me if I wish to borrow?

They can pursue the debt at any stage, and I've seen them do it ! If the debt hasn't been acknowledged in writing and signed by the debtor, nor any payment made against the debt for 6 years then the defence to any claim made by Cabot or indeed any creditor, is that the matter is statute barred.

Squiggle wrote: »
    They can pursue the debt at any stage, and I've seen them do it ! If the debt hasn't been acknowledged in writing and signed by the debtor, nor any payment made against the debt for 6 years then the defence to any claim made by Cabot or indeed any creditor, is that the matter is statute barred.

Hi Squiggle, as that time has passed and I haven’t acknowledged or paid anything and they don’t have any signed paperwork then why would they pursue it? I suppose what I mean is would they take me to court and if so what could possibly be the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,076 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some people don't make use of the statute barring and accidentally acknowledge the debt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Hi Squiggle, as that time has passed and I haven’t acknowledged or paid anything and they don’t have any signed paperwork then why would they pursue it? I suppose what I mean is would they take me to court and if so what could possibly be the outcome?

The passing of the 6 year time frame, in and of itself, does not mean the debt can't be pursued through the courts because it can. The defence to such an action would be that the matter is statute barred.

Failure to defend proceedings could result in a summary judgement against the defendant. The creditor would then have 12 years to enforce the judgement.

I saw a case a few years ago involving Cabot concerning an unacknowledged 10 year old debt, where a notice of discontinuance of legal proceedings was only issued by Cabot solicitors after an appearance and full defence ( the matter being statute barred being the defence ) was submitted to the court by the defendant !

Not only that , to this day, Cabot are sending letters to the defendant offering 50% discounts for full and final settlement!

• Advertisement

Squiggle wrote: »
    The passing of the 6 year time frame, in and of itself, does not mean the debt can't be pursued through the courts because it can. The defence to such an action would be that the matter is statute barred.

Failure to defend proceedings could result in a summary judgement against the defendant. The creditor would then have 12 years to enforce the judgement.

I saw a case a few years ago involving Cabot concerning an unacknowledged 10 year old debt, where a notice of discontinuance of legal proceedings was only issued by Cabot solicitors after an appearance and full defence ( the matter being statute barred being the defence ) was submitted to the court by the defendant !

Not only that , to this day, Cabot are sending letters to the defendant offering 50% discounts for full and final settlement!

They never fail to shock that’s for sure! Thanks for your help

Got the CCR credit report. Cabot is on it, showing 50+ payments past due. Shows a maturity date of 2014, 0 payments made as I never acknowledged the debt with them.

Is there anything I can do now to have it removed? It's updated monthly just to show the missed payments. Next Payment due shows 0 also.

TIA
    Pay it and wait 5 years.

They’re not chasing me for it.. and I don’t need credit so not going to do that. It hasn’t been acknowledged and no payments have been made in over 7 years so they can’t enforce the debt anyway afaik. Thought there may have been a ay to remove as it is technically statute barred at this point, perhaps not.
    I don't think there is.

Advertisement