Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

There's so much stuff on the sylabus not in the book wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Troxck wrote: »
    The HL teachers would do a full paper I after school on a Monday and a paper II on the Wednesday. They'd give us the weekend to do it and if you have specific problems they'd go through it. It wasn't mandatory to do it and they didn't care but it made me work and got them done. There's obviously questions I still find tricky but I can now at least attempt them and know the steps to start them. I'm still at a loss with most The Circle/Line because I'm not always sure what they're asking.

I think the book is actually really good for the circle. They have nearly every type of question that can be asked on it, and if you just learn off the technique, they can become a very nice question.

That's quite a generous maths teacher you have there! There'd only be a few teachers in my school willing to give up time to do classes, and I have a lot of respect towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

maths is frustrating.. but boring? I don't have much done either but I reward myself with maths at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I love maths. If I could spend all day studying maths I wouldn't mind studying that much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Peg14 wrote: »
    maths is frustrating.. but boring? I don't have much done either but I reward myself with maths at the end of the day!

I think I've only really started studying it properly this week but it's actually enjoyable when compared with most other subjects. It can be challenging but it's also rewarding when you get the answer right or when something finally clicks.

• Advertisement

When you compare it to Physics, Applied Maths, or Accounting, it would be deemed quite boring! Some questions I like such as Geometry. That Arbelos question was fun and a couple others! Calculas I also find fun.

When I was doing a sample paper for today, for example, it was showing all this random information about human blood pressure -nearly took up the whole page. I wouldn't mind but it was a complete waste of time as you didn't need any of the information to do the question! I suppose that's what I'd find boring - statistics. The three pages of a stats question that asks misleading questions that are difficult to interpret or questions that are long but pointlessly easy. I also hate writing in maths, just the thought annoys me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I think the book is actually really good for the circle. They have nearly every type of question that can be asked on it, and if you just learn off the technique, they can become a very nice question.

That's quite a generous maths teacher you have there! There'd only be a few teachers in my school willing to give up time to do classes, and I have a lot of respect towards them.

The two HL teachers for my year were great really, best teachers I had.

For the Line/Circle I generally just find out as much information as I can, draw a diagram and go from there. That's bound to get me a few marks?

As long as there isn't a long sequences and series question I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Does anyone know a topic that is bound to appear, particularly in paper 1?? Apart from financial maths! :p I'm so focused on English that I think I'll only have a day or two to look over the paper ones.. I'm aiming for a C3 anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

lc2015x wrote: »
    Does anyone know a topic that is bound to appear, particularly in paper 1?? Apart from financial maths! :p I'm so focused on English that I think I'll only have a day or two to look over the paper ones.. I'm aiming for a C3 anyway!

Algebra, Complex Numbers, Logs, Functions and Calculus are definite for paper one, but no choice exists so know everything. Know about the Binomial Theorem too, that's on the course again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Ag_science2015

What chapters can come up in Paper1 and what would be the most important chapters. is their any theroms that i could learn off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

What chapters can come up in Paper1 and what would be the most important chapters. is their any theroms that i could learn off

functions
    differentiation
    integration
    algebra 1,2,3
    sequences
    financial maths
    complex numbers
    not sure - is area and volume paper 1?

not sure - is area and volume paper 1?

Yep it is,

Are trigonometric proofs? I can't remember.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Area and volume has been asked on both papers. As a rule of thumb, Strands 3, 4 and 5 are on Paper 1 and Strands 1 and 2 are on Paper 2 but AFAIK, it doesn't have to be like that. I remember last year when Financial Mathematics didn't come up on Paper 1, some students were told by teachers that it could still come up on Paper 2(it didn't come up at all). I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nc123

Would anybody happen to have the marking scheme or answers for the 2015 DEB pre paper one? Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Is there anywhere I could find extra papers for Paper 1 to do? I have EDCO exam papers and have all of them done, and I think it would be more challenging to attempt a new one, rather than repeating something. ty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

From the 2015 Project Maths Syllabus
    13 Syllabus for LCHL
    13.1 Constructions
    A knowledge of the constructions prescribed for JC-HL will be assumed,
    and may be examined. In addition, students will study the constructions
    prescribed for LC-OL, and construction 22.
    13.2 Theorems and Proofs
    Students will be expected to understand the meaning of the following terms
    related to logic and deductive reasoning: Theorem, proof, axiom, corollary,
    converse, implies, is equivalent to, if and only if, proof by
    contradiction.
    A knowledge of the Axioms, concepts, Theorems and Corollaries prescribed
    for JC-HL will be assumed.
    Students will study all the theorems and corollaries prescribed for LC-OL,
    but will not, in general, be asked to reproduce their proofs in examination.
    However, they may be asked to give proofs of the Theorems 11, 12, 13,
    concerning ratios, which lay the proper foundation for the proof of Pythagoras
    studied at JC, and for trigonometry.
    They will be asked to solve geometrical problems (so-called “cuts”) and
    write reasoned accounts of the solutions. These problems will be such that
    they can be attacked using the given theory. The study of the propositions
    may be a useful way to prepare for such examination questions.

"Maybe, if we're feeling particularly evil". :P

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Are the mocks.ie papers any good? In terms of relevant to exams, or would I be better off with past papers.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

oktplz wrote: »
    Are the mocks.ie papers any good? In terms of relevant to exams, or would I be better off with past papers.ie?

educate have free papes on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Could someone please tell me exactly what proofs and theroms are coming up only on paper 1? Going to spend the day just revising them, thought I'd just get them out of the way fast!
    Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

lc2015x wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me exactly what proofs and theroms are coming up only on paper 1? Going to spend the day just revising them, thought I'd just get them out of the way fast!
    Thanks a million!

amortisation, induction, sequences and series ones( to infinity i think), de moivres proof. root 2 + 3. Think thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

From the 2015 Project Maths Syllabus

"Maybe, if we're feeling particularly evil". :P

Is that just for OL or what?

fsSH5JA.png

So, we need to be able to physically write the proof for 11,12,13 but only need to know how to use the other theorems? Can anyone clarify this before I only learn these three :p!.

Maths geniuses, I stumbled across this and it's been annoying me as I can't figure out how you calculate it, even though I'm sure it's really simple.
    Tweej wrote: »
    If you study 1 poet you have a 50% chance, 2 poets 79%, 3 poets 91%, 4 poets 98.4%, 5 poets 100%.

I know one poet would be 1/8 x 4 chances = 50%, but I can't figure out the rest, unless those percentages are wrong in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Think about it this way:

For 2 poets, either at least of the two poets will come up, or all of the six poets you didn't do will come up.

chance for 2 poets = 1 - chance that six poets you didn't do come up = 1 - (6/8)(5/7)(4/6)(3/5) = 79

sdio wrote: »
    Think about it this way:

For 2 poets, either at least of the two poets will come up, or all of the six poets you didn't do will come up.

chance for 2 poets = 1 - chance that six poets you didn't do come up = 1 - (6/8)(5/7)(4/6)(3/5) = 79

Thanks a million, I had a pretty bad mental block there. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You can also do them as combinations. Total possible combinations minus combinations where your poet doesn't come up.

And of course, in reality, your chances will be wildly different.

Nim wrote: »
    You can also do them as comibations. Total possible combinations minus combinations where your poet doesn't come up.

And of course, in reality, your chances will be wildly different.

Murphy's law :P

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Hey, I'm really starting to worry and was wondering what I should spend my remaining time studying for both papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Hey, I'm really starting to worry and was wondering what I should spend my remaining time studying for both papers?

In my opinion, only do paper 1 from now on. Forget about paper 2 until Friday when you're back from P1 exam. You'll have the whole weekend to study for it, no point in doing P2 now, it will only confuse you.

As for doing what - Exam papers. Go do all the questions with the book open/closed, try to focus on how certain questions are asked and what you need to do. Don't look at solutions unless you're stuck for more than 5 min. Sounds cheesy, but stay confident, that's really important. There's still quite a bit of time, you'll get there.

Anyone else find the Educate sample papers really hard? I briskly went through all the Sec ones, but now I'm just getting disheartened by these sample papers! Feel like going back to the book lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Anyone else find the Educate sample papers really hard? I briskly went through all the Sec ones, but now I'm just getting disheartened by these sample papers! Feel like going back to the book lol

Why are you only starting on the sample papers now? Were you not doing them all year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement