Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Looking to buy a] Hybrid / Electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In my case I was reversing at about 5-10 mph. The girl got out and was nice as pie, offered to settle without the insurance company if I paid for her repairs etc.

Next thing she's got personal injuries and is chucking in a claim. Not only that but before she realised the money she could make from suffered her personal injuries, she went and got a quote from a garage for £550 for her repairs. Then the insurance company step in and pay out £1300!

I know I'm caught by the balls and will have to take a €950 hike this year if I change to the Leaf. But I don't want to take that €1k hike every year for the next 3 years if she gets a PI claim over a certain amount.

I've started a thread in the general motoring forum to seek answers on that front.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    In my case I was reversing at about 5-10 mph. The girl got out and was nice as pie, offered to settle without the insurance company if I paid for her repairs etc.

Next thing she's got personal injuries and is chucking in a claim. Not only that but before she realised the money she could make from suffered her personal injuries, she went and got a quote from a garage for £550 for her repairs. Then the insurance company step in and pay out £1300!

I know I'm caught by the balls and will have to take a €950 hike this year if I change to the Leaf. But I don't want to take that €1k hike every year for the next 3 years if she gets a PI claim over a certain amount.

I've started a thread in the general motoring forum to seek answers on that front.

There is nothing you can do about it, it's failure of the system.

If it goes to court it will straight away cost several thousand more due to legal fees, then you'll have to pay the surgeon or whoever from the medical profession, likely another few K and the courts will never argue against these so called professionals.

Even though it's complete BS the judge has to take into account the statement from the medical professionals usually stating that they can't prove or disprove the existence of pain.

I asked allianz if they could video the people at their daily goings on to prove their lies and he said it would cost too much and I asked him "so that means we the people who have to pay the premiums will continue to see rising premiums ?" and he said "yes"

Wouldn't you think the cost of proving these people for what they are would be worth it in the long run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Her car has been sorted (£1300) but the PI claim is still ongoing and could be for some time. I know I can't really shift companies until it is sorted, which is why I called 123.ie to see how much it would cost to change vehicle while staying with them.

I'd say the main issue is that the current claim is still open. When I insured the Leaf it was my first insurance in my name (I had previously been insured as a named driver without any accidents). I'm under 30 and fully comp with 123.ie for a 6 month old Leaf SVE was around €700.

When I moved to the €55k brand new i3, I added Open Driving and got €100 back! Since had an accident since renewal, claim was closed (€7500 in damage) and after disclosing the accident to other providers it looks like my premium will only go up by €150-200. And I live in an area of Dublin with high premiums.

Sounds like 123.ie is taking advantage of the fact the claim hasn't closed. I'd argue the matter with them or alternatively insure it under your significant other's name.

I'm arguing with an online chat agent as we speak.

To make things worse, if I was free to move Aviva would insure me for under €400. 123.ie are charging €1500+

"When we quoted for the change we would have calculated the change in your risk details, this doesn't include any loading for the ongoing claim. A Nissan Leaf is being considered a high additional risk on your policy"

What a load of guff.

• Advertisement

"When we quoted for the change we would have calculated the change in your risk details, this doesn't include any loading for the ongoing claim. A Nissan Leaf is being considered a high additional risk on your policy"

What a load of guff.

The only thing that should matter is insurance category (11 in the case of the Leaf) and repair costs.

cros13 wrote: »
    I'd argue the matter with them or alternatively insure it under your significant other's name.

You're not allowed drive a car as your main car in someone else's name ?

"It's being considered a higher risk than your current policy and that is reflected in the additional premium, we would not be able to amend these prices as they are correct for your own policy."

hundred

euro...

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yowsa.

I'm with 123.ie as well, fully comp on a leaf.

pwurple wrote: »
    Yowsa.

I'm with 123.ie as well, fully comp on a leaf.

Exactly. And I bet you don't pay €1500 despite driving the same car...

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the N Irish "e-car" charging access cards will let me use a charge point in the south?

Costs me 480 Euros fully comp on the leaf SVE 151.

Does anyone know if the N Irish "e-car" charging access cards will let me use a charge point in the south?

They will. All one system. Any issues call the number printed on the charge point, they can start the charge remotely if needed.

First run in the test car tonight.

Shamed to say, I nearly ran out of juice!

Took on a 70 mile run, and at the last minute had 2 extra people added to the mix which I'm sure doesn't help.

First run in the test car tonight.

Shamed to say, I nearly ran out of juice!

Took on a 70 mile run, and at the last minute had 2 extra people added to the mix which I'm sure doesn't help.

what was the charge when you set out ?

I estimate I could get 80-90 Kms at 130 Kph.

I suppose the current Gen electrics are like driving an ICE car with the fuel light on, and you'd probably get more from an ICE at that stage lol.

Still, I managed to do 9,700 Kms in the Leaf since the 24th January 2015.

It said 73 when I picked it up.

It will give you the audio low battery warning very early, can be as much as 30% in real terms left in the battery. After that comes a very low battery warning. Even after the meter goes to --% (when it drop below 6% indicated) you may still have 16-17% charge.
    You get used to how far you can push it. First thing I did when I got the Leaf is run down the battery as far as I could and circle Heuston station car parks ( which have 4 chargers :) ).
    After I dropped below 6% it took well over an hour of circling the car park to get down to turtle mode (which is when you know you are in trouble, it limits the motor power).
    I only ever dropped to turtle mode once unintentionally, and in that case I was 100m from home after doing 140km at motorway speed or close to that.

It said 73 when I picked it up.

Na never mind the range indicator, what was the % of charge when you started ?

110 Kph or around 70 mph will mean you'll need to be at a charge point in about 60 odd miles max. Maybe warm weather you might get a bit more and this is on a new battery,

So you need to think if you're happy with a car that meets your daily driving or whether you really want a car that does 100% of your driving.

If you wait for the Mk II Leaf or the next gen electrics then it will be a 4-5 years before you can get a 2nd hand one and that would be a year old.

I didn't actually figure out how to change the display for battery percentage until later.

I just went from 9 miles left, to - - -

Then I reached a charger.

What percentage does "turtle mode" kick in at?

I didn't actually figure out how to change the display for battery percentage until later.

LOL probably not much after - - - :D

I only ever got this low once driving like a hooligan ! :D

• Advertisement

Well first the miles/km displayed would have gone to --
    Then the battery percentage goes to --%
    And then you have a bit of reserve

Didn't look at the battery percentage at all. I think I have to press the wee menu button to change to that.

3 more questions.

1 - when I finally reached Derry, I went to the nearest standard charger as I was so low. Plugged in there for 15 minutes to make sure I had enough power to reach the rapid charger on the Waterside. I plugged in there and it said (on the charger, not the car) that I had 16% and that to reach 80% would take 47 minutes. I thought these things would get to 80% in 20? I only stayed about 5 minutes, which got me from 16 up to 30% and then headed home.

So why was it advising a 47 minute recharge time?

2 - I plugged in at home at 20% at about half 11. It's obviously not a charging station, just a 3 pin plug. At 7:15 this morning I'm at 90%. Is that normal? Nearly 8 hours only gave me 70% increase?

3 - I've been told online that a Leaf with a dark interior is a second gen. The first gen are cream interior, second gen are all dark. However this test car has a cream interior but the dealer assures me it is a second gen. I believe it has the 6.6kw charger, as the "time to 100%" counter shows an option for 3kw and 6kw.

Also, this Leaf has a "handbrake" on the floor. Dealer says that's a design that indicates second gen.

"It's being considered a higher risk than your current policy and that is reflected in the additional premium, we would not be able to amend these prices as they are correct for your own policy."

hundred

euro...

Unbelievable.

A wee update...

It pays to argue. I spoke to the supervisor and he explained that the system had an error that was applying the wrong insurance code to the Leaf and that is why I was getting the crazy price.

So instead the cost of changing the vehicle being +€950...

It will be -€70!

Just saved myself a grand! :D:D:D

I plugged in there and it said (on the charger, not the car) that I had 16% and that to reach 80% would take 47 minutes. I thought these things would get to 80% in 20? I only stayed about 5 minutes, which got me from 16 up to 30% and then headed home.

So why was it advising a 47 minute recharge time?

The chargers don't tell you how long it will take to charge but what time before the charger shuts off automatically.

I've seen 59 mins and this is far too long, it should be no more than 40 max.

To get from 19% to 80% could take about 20-25 mins. In winter maybe 30-35 if the battery is cold.

2 - I plugged in at home at 20% at about half 11. It's obviously not a charging station, just a 3 pin plug. At 7:15 this morning I'm at 90%. Is that normal? Nearly 8 hours only gave me 70% increase?

It can take I think 12 hrs on the "granny cable" or portable evse plugged into a normal socket. You really need the 16 amp home EVSE. It will charge the car in 8 hrs from 0%.

A leaf with the 32 amp charger (6.6 Kw) will take 4 hrs.

3 - I've been told online that a Leaf with a dark interior is a second gen. The first gen are cream interior, second gen are all dark. However this test car has a cream interior but the dealer assures me it is a second gen. I believe it has the 6.6kw charger, as the "time to 100%" counter shows an option for 3kw and 6kw.

The current Leaf is not the 2nd Gen, it's the Gen 1.5 rather an updated version of the original. The 2nd Gen should be available to buy in about 2.5 years. Probably late Q4 2017. ( I can't wait )

A cream interior is indeed available in the MK 1.5

http://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/services/gb/brochure/Nissan_Leaf.pdf

Easiest way to know is to lift the bonnet and below is the MK I

2011-Nissan-Leaf-electric-motor.jpg

This is the MK 1.5

lead10-2013-nissan-leaf-fd-1368672231.jpg

Lift the MK I boot and it should look like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmzmEM8nZFbn7DNxxXfNbeW6elmakiIOdgqd_tYOh7MkGQT4khtg

Mk 1.5 boot (this has the Bose Sub which isn't standard)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwUI0tUR95xiQ2skhAyD0bsPucsUpOdYz57g7Ce4CwkBnJ-Npl

Thanks. I actually spoke to a Nissan dealership in England today and had the same thing clarified about the second gen, (I know it's technically only 1.5 but you know what I mean).

The cream interior was the only option on mk 1, in mk 2 the dark was the standard but you could still request cream on the Acenta model only. He said that the most obvious differential was the brake. The mk1 has the electric brake on the centre beside the armrest, the mk2 has the foot pedal version.

So the one I'm driving currently on my test drive is actually fairly unusual in that it is a mk2 with the cream interior.

Dealer has a black mk2 with dark interior on the way though so that may be the one I end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

We have a 1.5 with cream interior - found the black interior was just too darn dark!

The chargers don't tell you how long it will take to charge but what time before the charger shuts off automatically.

I've seen 59 mins and this is far too long, it should be no more than 40 max.

Not sure if the Northern chargers are different?

This is my magnificent artists impression of what it showed.

349457.png

It seemed pretty definite in that it was indicating 47 minutes to get from where I was up to 80%.

Unless the indication was how long to deliver 80% rather than return me to 80%. Which would mean it was going to take 47 minutes to reach 80+whatever I had?

Not sure if the Northern chargers are different?

This is my magnificent artists impression of what it showed.

349457.png

It seemed pretty definite in that it was indicating 47 minutes to get from where I was up to 80%.

Unless the indication was how long to deliver 80% rather than return me to 80%. Which would mean it was going to take 47 minutes to reach 80+whatever I had?

The SGTE chargers all show time until automatic shutoff. It should only take 15-20 minutes to 80%, you just keep it running 'til it hits 80% then manually stop the charge.
    sgte-fast-charge-point.jpg
    charge-point.jpg

• Advertisement

Well had another day's driving yesterday and it went much better.

I didn't think to zero the trip counter, but after totaling it up I think I did about 39-40 miles and had bang on 50% left on the battery by the end.

I'm taking the test drive car back tonight but I've seen enough to decide that I'm going to take the plunge within the next few weeks.

So any advice from you folks about the next step? I need to get a charging point installed at home. I know a few sparks who can do the work, but what kind of station do I need and where do I get it? What sort of price should I be expecting? Are they cheaper to buy in the UK? I live right on the border so that wouldn't be difficult.

I understand that I need to apply to the ESB for permission to install one and then they issue me with an access card or something?

There are a few guides on the esb website but they seem to be more aimed at new leaf buyers, not second hand.

Advertisement