Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Looking to buy a] Hybrid / Electric

Options
  • 14-05-2015 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭

Changing the car in the next year, and my wife really wants to go electric (for environmental reasons).

I don't think that electric is an option due to the range. Our general driving is just in and out to work, maybe 20 miles a day. But we do go on longer drives quite often, Donegal to Dublin or Belfast. And we go to Cork and back once a year. That's long oul trip to be doing in a car that can only manage 100 miles at best before needing a charge. We also have a fairly high annual mileage, about 18k.

I've read that when you're using the heat and lights, like in the winter when it's dark and cold, you might only get 60 miles.

I've also read that electric cars don't hold their value well, presumably due to the high costs of battery replacement. I read one review that said the Renault Zoe only retains 35% of their value after 3 years!

Any suggestions? I'm looking for an option that goes a bit of the way towards satisfying the "need for green", whilst remaining practical in terms of driving, and finance. No sense saving a few grand a year in fuel costs if the depreciation on the car is huge.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Changing the car in the next year, and my wife really wants to go electric (for environmental reasons).

I don't think that electric is an option due to the range. Our general driving is just in and out to work, maybe 20 miles a day. But we do go on longer drives quite often, Donegal to Dublin or Belfast. And we go to Cork and back once a year. That's long oul trip to be doing in a car that can only manage 100 miles at best before needing a charge. We also have a fairly high annual mileage, about 18k.

I've read that when you're using the heat and lights, like in the winter when it's dark and cold, you might only get 60 miles.

I've also read that electric cars don't hold their value well, presumably due to the high costs of battery replacement. I read one review that said the Renault Zoe only retains 35% of their value after 3 years!

Any suggestions? I'm looking for an option that goes a bit of the way towards satisfying the "need for green", whilst remaining practical in terms of driving, and finance. No sense saving a few grand a year in fuel costs if the depreciation on the car is huge.

Thanks!

I'm still not sure how green these cars are. How much of our energy comes from renewables in this country? Not even ten percent I'm guessing. The rest is still coming from fossil fuels. Then you've the little matter of the type of battery. Of which the mining and production can be absolutely toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I don't think that electric is an option due to the range. Our general driving is just in and out to working, maybe 20 miles a day. But we do go on longer drives quite often, Donegal to Dublin or Belfast. And we go to Cork and back once a year. That's long oul trip to be doing in a car that can only manage 100 miles at best before needing a charge. We also have a fairly high annual mileage, about 18k.

Thanks!

1. Electric car is not suitable for your driving. It could be great though as a second car I the family which never goes too far from home.

2. Buying electric car for environmental purposes is bit of a mistake. Nothing really environmental about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

It depends on many factors and the bottom line is they suit some people and not others. If it does suit then I think they are great. I plan on buying one the next time I change. But for us there are two cars in the household so we will have one ICE. The ICE car that the EV will replace does ~15k kms a year all of it short journeys. With current models I would get two days normal usage on a charge.

Anyway my advice is post in and browse this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634

Also check out the Irish EV owners club.

http://www.irishevowners.com/

Sorry I can be more helpful but I am not an EV owner (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

CiniO wrote: »
    2. Buying electric car for environmental purposes is bit of a mistake. Nothing really environmental about them.

Could you expand? My thinking behind considering one is the economical factor (if there is one). But my wife is interested because of the green factor.

WildWater wrote: »
    Anyway my advice is post in and browse this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634

Sorry, I missed that one!

• Advertisement

Could you expand? My thinking behind considering one is the economical factor (if there is one). But my wife is interested because of the green factor.

Simple maths...

I just looked at my recent electricy bill.
    It said 371 KWh accounted for 198kg of CO2 emmisions.

So each KWh accounts for 533g (grams) of CO2 emmissons.

To fully charge your Nissan Leaf, you need to use about 24KWh, and this will give you 100-150km travel depending on various circumstances. Assume 125km on average for instance.

24KWh of electricity accounts for 12.8kg of CO2 emissions which gives you 102g/km in your electric car.

Plenty of petrol and diesel cars now doing much better than that.

Indeed, electric car is surely more environmentally friendly in it's direct surrounding as it doesn't emit anything, so it's great for driving in places where people live (f.e. in cities), but globally, considering producing electricity emits CO2 same as combustion engines, and it's very not environmentally friendly to manufacture those vehicles and their batteries, I wound't buy electric for environmental purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Cinio, how much energy does it take to produce one liter of petrol or diesel? That is not included in the CO2 calculations of regular cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

It is never "green" to buy a new car, as the environmental impact of manufacturing it offsets any advantage in lower emissions during the car's lifetime.

For EVs in particular, mining the metals (Ni, Li etc) for the batteries has a devastating local environmental impact, and while most of our electricity is still generated by burning fossil fuels it cannot be claimed that these vehicles have zero carbon emissions - it is just that their CO2 goes up power station chimneys rather than out of the car's exhaust pipe.

Thanks Cinio for the calculation, I had thought that electric cars were actually rather better than that on CO2 emissions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Anjobe wrote: »
    Thanks Cinio for the calculation, I had thought that electric cars were actually rather better than that on CO2 emissions!

According to this link a US gallon (3.8 liters) of fuel takes 6 kWh energy to refine.

http://greentransportation.info/guide/energy/electricity-to-refine-gallon-gasoline.html

According to Cinio's figures this results additional 6 x 533 g of CO2 emissions in Ireland for every 3.8 liters consumed. This is for petrol and I have not checked the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

You can argue some benefit if there is a smart grid that can stop and start charging of EVs to suit spikes in supply (wind) or demand, or just to take up the "excess" from plants that are not practical to power down even at times when demand is at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh OP, with your distance driving from Donegal you should look at Prius rather than any fully electric car.
    At least until there are more charge points.

biko wrote: »
    Tbh OP, with your distance driving from Donegal you should look at Prius rather than any fully electric car.
    At least until there are more charge points.

Thanks

A friend mentioned the Prius too. And the Vauxhall Ampera which I could buy in England for around £15k (2-3 year old) and the VRT would be just €2k.

The Ampera claims 25 miles on electric before needing the petrol aspect, which would be more than enough for my daily commute.

The Prius I think only offers about 15 miles on electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

1. Electric car is not suitable for your driving. It could be great though as a second car I the family which never goes too far from home.

1. Wrong, I do 50,000km a year on an electric car. DrPhilG's usage is on the low side of existing EV owners. There are rapid chargers all over the country, you can charge 0-80% in 15-20 minutes. If you want to drive from Cork to Tromsø, Norway in the morning on a whim it's perfectly possible. Range on the Leaf is 130-160km depending on weather and it's possible for people to do up to 400km+ a day on an EV in regular use.

2. The primary reason to buy an EV is for financial reasons, they are 8 times cheaper than a diesel car to run. They are also a damn sight nicer to drive than a slow and noisy ICE (massive torque from 0 rpm, better weight distribution). There is an emissions benefit, because the motors are so efficient it's about half the emissions of an equivalent vehicle including all grid production emissions and losses. The batteries are produced very cleanly, lithium mining is one of the cleanest extraction processes there is. And the batteries are almost 100% recyclable and reusable for grid storage for several years before they need to be recycled.

I guarantee if you drive an EV for a week you'll never think of buying an ICE again.

By the end of this month there will be FIVE rapid chargers in Donegal alone. and a further 50 fast chargers. I've driven to letterkenny from dublin and back without any issues.

The Zoe has depreciated heavily due to other factors, mainly that they come with a mandatory indefinite battery rental contract. Depreciation on the Leaf has been a lot lower, even though the retail price of a new Leaf has come down by 7 grand in the period.

There are a ton of new rapid chargers going in on the west coast this year as part of ESB's expansion of the network. Stopping at a rapid charger every 120-130km isn't a big imposition, you will probably be stopping for a coffee or toilet break anyway.

I live in Donegal, but right on the border. Bridgend/Burt. I commute to Altnagelvin hospital daily which is 9 miles.

I'm still learning towards the hybrid option but I have a lot more reading up to do.

I live in Donegal, but right on the border. Bridgend/Burt. I commute to Altnagelvin hospital daily which is 9 miles.

I'm still learning towards the hybrid option but I have a lot more reading up to do.

My dad drives a Leaf and does 80km round trip from Templemore to south Tipp every day, he arrives home every night with 40-50% still on the battery. The worst he saw was 35% in the worst winter temperatures with the cabin heater on full. If he suddenly needs to go to Dublin he just pops in to the rapid charger at Roscrea or Portlaoise or Monasterevin or Naas on the way. There are people here on boards who commute more than 100km every day in a Leaf.

People forget that since you are charging at home, you start every day with a full battery. it's easier than a petrol/diesel car, you just plug in every night and provided you are not doing more than 130-160km that day you never have to think about it.

If you drive more than 120km in the day there are rapid chargers on Port road, Letterkenny and one in Waterside in Derry if you need a top up. Both will charge a Leaf 20-25% for every 5 minutes of charging. Both are free and work with the ESB card.

I drive a BMW i3, I get 180km range with that kind of low speed driving (i.e. not 120 on a motorway) out of an 18kWh charge, that costs me less than €1.40 on the night rate. In a car that out-accelerates a BMW M3 and is more fun to drive.

I've been driving an EV for more than a year now and I can't understand why 95% of people haven't switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Prius I think only offers about 15 miles on electric.
    Well in a sense. The electricity is just for town or short distances. Once you're on open road the fuel motor takes over.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car6.htm

cros13 wrote: »
    1. Wrong, I do 50,000km a year on an electric car. DrPhilG's usage is on the low side of existing EV owners. There are rapid chargers all over the country, you can charge 0-80% in 15-20 minutes. If you want to drive from Cork to Tromsø, Norway in the morning on a whim it's perfectly possible. Range on the Leaf is 130-160km depending on weather and it's possible for people to do up to 400km+ a day on an EV in regular use.

It could be even 100,000km a year, but IMO driving anywhere further from your home than range allows to, would be very inconvenient.
    You need to know where to charge it, and as you say wait there.
    While obviously all this is possible, I hardly can imagine longer drive in EV like you mentioned to Norway.
    I drive my diesel between Ireland and Poland at least once or twice a year, and there are no trouble with that. But I can't imagine doing that in EV - it would be really very very inconvenient and would take ages. In diesel there's no trouble to do 1500km a day or more - you can't do that in EV.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of EV, and would be very happy to get one myself, but at the moment I can't afford it.
    But if I could, that would be as a second car (would substitute petrol car we have now) and would never go further than 50-60km away from home.
    That makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I drive a Nissan Leaf and I find it to be a terrific car. It's quiet, responsive and extremely cheap to run. I don't think that going from Donegal to Dublin or Belfast should pose any major issues. For Cork, you could do it but you'd have a fair few stops. If you're only doing the trip once a year I wouldn't let that put me off. I went from Naas to Cork and back again on the May Bank holiday, it cost about €2 to charge the car at home and the rest of the trip was effectively free thanks to the public charging network. The BMW i3 and Renault Zoe are excellent too.

If the thoughts of going all-electric are off putting, the the Prius is a fine car by all accounts. I wouldn't bother with the plug-in version though (is it even available in Ireland?).

It could be even 100,000km a year, but IMO driving anywhere further from your home than range allows to, would be very inconvenient.
    You need to know where to charge it, and as you say wait there.

When I drive to Limerick and back I stop at the same place I used to stop with my diesel avensis. Have a coffee and a sandwich and my battery is back to 90% by the time I'm ready to leave. Obviously if you are doing that journey every day it's an imposition, but the majority of people don't. And the few that do will be catered for by the Tesla Model 3 next year.

Knowing where the chargers are isn't a big deal, all the EVs come with satnavs which update charger locations over built-in 3G modems. My i3 even shows if a nearby charger is already in use or not.
    While obviously all this is possible, I hardly can imagine longer drive in EV like you mentioned to Norway.
    I drive my diesel between Ireland and Poland at least once or twice a year, and there are no trouble with that. But I can't imagine doing that in EV - it would be really very very inconvenient and would take ages. In diesel there's no trouble to do 1500km a day or more - you can't do that in EV.

I've haven't done 1500km a day but I have done over a 1000 km to the netherlands both in a diesel and in an EV. Sure it took almost 4 hours longer in the EV, and sure it took a little more planning to make sure there were chargers along the route but even for such an extreme use case it was possible to make the journey. The whole journey also cost me less than €10 in electricity. I'm heading for the far side of Berlin in August. Poland is out because there's no rapid charger network in Poland.
    Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of EV, and would be very happy to get one myself, but at the moment I can't afford it.
    But if I could, that would be as a second car (would substitute petrol car we have now) and would never go further than 50-60km away from home.
    That makes sense.

Perfectly legitimate in your case. But for the OP doing less than 30km round trip commute, living within 10km of two rapid chargers and having even their occasional trips also covered by rapid chargers, I can't think of a reason not to go for a full EV.
    Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the plug-in version though (is it even available in Ireland?).

Nope. And it costs €33k, so more than an i3 for a Plug-in Prius with a weak motor and 15-20km of range.

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

Me I dont give a rats a$$ about the electric environmental debate its a load of dung .

I would buy electric or hybrids tomorrow if the credit card could take the hit

For me it has nothing to do with environmental reasons .
    The same driving needs factors and reasons why I would buy electric or hybrid would be the reasons I can say it is most unlikely the electric or hybrid in this time is any use for your driving needs .
    My style of driving would make electric and hybrids work well for me with big drop in my costs to drive per mile However my style is not your style

Now if you want real environmental reasons I can give you those .
    Every time you turn on petrol cars for the first fifteen minutes the CAT doest clean up the fumes and nasty benzines and all sorts come out the exhaust that can create birth defects to the fetus, or spontaneous abortions to pregnant women who breath in these fumes.Also it can do or brain damage to kids in car .

If your pregnant going to petrol stations and filling up the fumes are not good .If the kids are in the car while car is filling up the fumes are not good . To fill up cars safely means arrive in petrol forecourt in fire mans suits to keep chemicals off you and breathe through oxygen bottle and leave family at home . Then clean down the fire man suit when you get home in the front garden with power hose over the main drains and send the nasty chemicals to some local river instead .

However electric cars dont stop the problem they just shift the chemical brew of nasty chemicals from fuels like oil or coal from the city into the country side .The mercury from burning fuel like coal in power station to supply the electric power to the electric car goes into the food chain in the country side. Its probably in the milk in your tea so it gets you back a few months later

When your in electric or petrol car all the plastics in the cars for seats dash boards you name it give off nasty fumes that can cause cancers and all sorts. If you open the windows to get rid of the fumes the cars beside you with cats not hot then can expose you to unburned petrol fuels .The diesel cars and trucks can also expose you to small particle soot which give cancers and all sort

Even you buy a bike your still gonna be exposed to fumes from cars and trucks
    So the environmental reason to buy electric is a crock of dung

However if your like me do lots of small trips less than 5 miles spread over the day 20 miles then small electric go cart things like Renault twingo are good to go and cheap as chips on electric .However no closing windows so you need to be motor bike type with leathers and so forth to do Ireland and twingo .

The hybrids you need to do something like 50,000 miles a year to to get your money back and maintenance on those things can be eye watering numbers

The present Leafs Zoes and similar are just too low ranges for your long trips away .However these things are cheap as chips on maintenance and fuel can be free if you always do fast charging .
    However the word is out the battery range drops a lot after short few years for many of the Leafs and Zoes
    This can result in the depression can be issue if your panning on resales in few years .
    If you do small local miles keep the electric cars ten years your way ahead of the game driving is cheap cheap cheap.
    If you could do Leaf car for local stuff and old banger petrol or diesel for long runs then the Leaf or Zoe could work for you .You might need two car parking spaces to do that two insurance policies and extra car tax the CIE train might be better for longer journey's

The new petrol and diesel cars in terms of real good MPG which are so good the electric cars will have rough ride for the next few years .

Personal I aways tell women go a garage where the staff fuel the car to reduce risks from fumes go inside shop before they fuel up and try to not fuel up with kids in the cars .better still send the other half to fuel the car and let him get the chemical attacks . You can do risk reduction but you cant stop all exposure to nasty chemical soups we live in

Jed

• Advertisement

However electric cars dont stop the problem they just shift the chemical brew of nasty chemicals from fuels like oil or coal from the city into the country side .The mercury from burning fuel in power station to supply the electric power to the electric car goes into the food probaly the milk in your tea so gets you back a few months later

That's not really true, electric cars do reduce emissions because the electric motor is 95% efficient where an ICE is less than 25% efficient (petrol or diesel cars spend a lot of their fuel generating heat rather than moving you along the road). A combined cycle electric power plant has heat recovery systems and operates at more than twice the efficiency of an car engine. Centralising the problem makes it easier to solve. Better emissions control is already in place at power plants. All of that is discounting the fact that yesterday (13th of May | and according to Eirgrid's dashboard statistics) more than 51% of power was produced from the wind turbines and hydro plants. I did the math a couple of years back on a RAV4 petrol vs RAV4 EV and even assuming 100% coal produced electricity there was a reduction in emissions.
    When your in electric or petrol car all the plastics in the cars for seats dash boards you name it give off nasty fumes that can cause cancers and all sorts .

That's not proven. And even discounting that, my car dash is made out of Kenaf fibers (basically hemp) and untreated sustainably managed eucalyptus wood. On the base model the seat material is made out of recycled PET bottles, On mine leather tanned with olive oil. The carbon fiber that makes up the frame was made in the Moses Lake facility beside a massive hydro plant and the factory in germany that did the final build was 100% powered by solar and wind. Heck the roof and seat backs are made from the offcuts from manufacturing the frame.
    However if your like me do lots of small trips less than 5 miles spread over the day 20 miles then small electric go cart things like Renault twingo are good to go and cheap as chips on electric .However no closing windows so you need to be motor bike type with leathers and so forth to do Ireland and twingo .

There are windows available for the NMC/Twizy, both from Nissan/Renault and better ones from this guy in scotland: http://www.twizywindows.co.uk/

The present Leafs Zoes and similar are just too low ranges for your trips away .

That's not true.
    However these things are cheap as chips on maintenance and fuel can be free if you always do fast charging.

That is true. But always rapid charging would be a very stupid idea. A rapid charge can raise the battery temperature by 10C on a Leaf, rapid charge when you need to but don't rely on it for all your charging.
    However the word is out the battery range drops a lot after short few years for many of the leafs and Zoes This can result depression can be issue if your panning on resales in few years

Battery capacity loss has been far less than predicted. You have a battery warranty for 8 years/160,000km guaranteeing a minimum of 70% capacity. Three vehicles out of more than 40,000 sold in europe have claimed. On the Leaf it's mainly an issue in very hot climates or with abusive rapid charging. On the i3 I have active battery thermal management and an expected life of twenty years to 70% capacity. NRC have a Leaf in Dublin running as a Taxi since 2011, it has 210,000km on it and has lost less than 11% of battery capacity. Old Leaf batteries are reused for a grid energy storage project on a Japanese island.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Ampera is a nice looking yoke, and I would probably consider it if it wasn't for the fact that there's only 2 back seats and I'd need 3.

For every tank of fuel refined is enough to drive a Leaf about 70 miles, this is not taking into account the massive amounts of fuel needed to extract and transport the oil before it even arrives at the refinery.

Electric car mining is no different to ICE in reality and All of Japan's minerals come from their own well regulated mines not the Chinese ones that destroy the natural environment, though this is changing there , slowly.

Tesla don't even use magnets in their electric motors.

Electric cars being 0 emissions are far better for the environment and human health because the emissions are not spread out in town and cities and directly ingested into our lungs. Diesel fuel is dangerous to human health. Co2 is not, Plants absorb Co2 and need it for photosynthesis , Co2 is not a pollutant, what comes out of an exhaust is.

My electricity is generated by clean Gas mostly and about 25% wind. Whatever the Co2 emissions are I could care less about, I care more about lung cancer and heart disease and acid rain and the damage caused by drilling for oil and oil consumption.

Electrics are also much more efficient than the internal combustion engine, open the bonnet after a long drive and try find heat in a Leaf !

Batteries will live on in storage.

Leaf uses a lot of recycled materials and the carpet is made from recycled plastic bottles ( and it shows) :-)

Electrics can store renewable energy that has to otherwise be switched off, this is when our tax money goes to subsidise these companies !

Electric cars can charge on the fuel used to keep the power stations ticking over to be ready for demand.

I could choose to have Airtricity and have 100% 0 emissions but I was not willing to pay more for the energy because I already have to subsidise these wind energy companies , we were promised all this wind energy would make bills cheaper but they have gone up considerably. I might change my views on this in the future.

I will be doing about 25 K a year possibly more in my Leaf.

I do about 134-140 Kms per day, I need about 10 mins on the fast charger, could do with less but I don't want to arrive home with a very low battery daily to preserve battery life.

We have a 2nd car for the long trips which is also useful to keep the miles off the Leaf for the PCP contract.

Long trips can be done but would be a pain. I't rent a car for the 2% of the time the Leaf would not meet my needs if it were our only car. I could also borrow a family members so I wouldn't be worried.

I have a car that meets 98% of my driving.

Yes, when cold the battery can't take a full charge and cold air is denser taking more power to force through it.

Drive at 140 Kph and you could be looking at 80 Kms max in winter.

Wind is your greatest enemy, the heater with the heat pump in the SV and SVE leaf is very efficient.

The Leaf holds it's value better than all but the premium car brands as expected but not by much less.

Thanks!

You could wait 3 years and the Leaf Mk II will be available with a minimum twice the range and possibly more.

In 2017 GM are releasing the "200" mile range Bolt, also worth checking out. Though I'd wait for the EPA range test.

If it's not or you then it's not for you, I am proof that a long distance commute works.

What you will face sooner or later is queuing at a fast charger this will get worse as electrics get more popular, on the Plus side , when the longer range electrics arrive in 3 years time there will be a lot less need for fast charging hopefully easing the burden on the infrastructure. Hopefully the ESB will start charging for fast charge usage soon to stop people wasting a charger just because they want free electricity and to hell with the person who needs to use it !

You should try get a leaf for 2 days, I won;t go back to driving a petrol or especially diesel again, driving an ice car to me now is like stepping back in time !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Resale value was was caused me to buy another ICE car instead of a Laf when I changed at the start of the year.

I was worried that if I bought a 2yr old Leaf, kept it for 3yrs, then in 2018 when I came to change, the Leaf would be incredibly hard to sell, since new EV technology might make my car less attractive. plus would people want a 5yr old battery?

But EV is still on the agenda for my next purchase, perhaps via the PCP route?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Resale value was was caused me to buy another ICE car instead of a Laf when I changed at the start of the year.

I was worried that if I bought a 2yr old Leaf, kept it for 3yrs, then in 2018 when I came to change, the Leaf would be incredibly hard to sell, since new EV technology might make my car less attractive. plus would people want a 5yr old battery?

But EV is still on the agenda for my next purchase, perhaps via the PCP route?

Resale on an older leaf might be an issue due to battery uncertainties and you're right to be cautious. Nissan Ireland currently will not even allow you to replace the battery.

As it stands now though the leaf is holding it's value very well indeed.

I went on PCP because as you say, the technology is improving and the MK II will be out by the time my lease expires, though the GM Bolt will probably beat them to it.

Larger batteries will have far less stresses this is why the Model S battery will last the life of the car and beyond. Even a 30% loss in capacity the model S 85 Kwh will still provide a good 180 odd miles range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Resale isn't an issue for us. I basically plan on keeping it for at least ten years and giving it to my kids as their first car. I might have to replace the battery at some stage (estimate 6k), but even if i don't, they'll have a small range so they can't get up to too much mischief, and it will cost feck all to run.

Electric vehicle's should in theory have a much longer lifespan because there is no engine wear. Mileage means wear on wheels, but not much else.

Yeah in theory it should last forever but if any of the electrics fail out of warranty It will be very expensive to fix. Parts are also very hard to find.

It's proving to be very reliable though.

I hope Nissan decide to allow Irish leafers to replace the battery in the future because currently you'll have to go to the U.K to have it replaced. Or it's a DIY job but with nearly 400 volts you really got to know what you're doing and take every precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Simple maths...

To fully charge your Nissan Leaf, you need to use about 24KWh, and this will give you 100-150km travel depending on various circumstances. Assume 125km on average for instance.

24KWh of electricity accounts for 12.8kg of CO2 emissions which gives you 102g/km in your electric car.

Indeed, electric car is surely more environmentally friendly in it's direct surrounding as it doesn't emit anything, so it's great for driving in places where people live (f.e. in cities), but globally, considering producing electricity emits CO2 same as combustion engines, and it's very not environmentally friendly to manufacture those vehicles and their batteries, I wound't buy electric for environmental purposes.

You are very either biased against EVs for some reason or maybe you have no experience with modern cars which burn much more fuel than they are rated in typical use. You should either compare real power consumption of LEAF with real emissions of modern cars or compare standardized measurements for both cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Simple maths...

You're not comparing like to like. You're forgetting the CO2 emissions that goes into filling up your tank (drilling, refining, transport to the petrol stations).

Not to mention local emissions from petrol and diesel cars.

Advertisement