Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi Nappy and welcome back :) You have a very healthy 5k time and you are right to be conservative with your marathon time as a 5k won't translate to a predictable marathon time without a solid endurance base which is what I am guessing you are lacking. You're cutting it a little fine to get up to scratch for blast off day on June 22 but as long as you build slowly, you should be fine. Let us know if you'd like a hand modifying the boards plan for the first couple of weeks. And you realise now that you have committed to running....? ;)

Fully committed to running too Dubgal! I am lacking an endurance base but I'll get too work. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Windorah wrote: »
    Thanks a million Dubgal. I have no idea how u are keeping up with this thread and replying to everyone individually but thanks! It's much appreciated!

No I actually ran a marathon a few weeks back and was very disappointed with my time of 4.26 hence the rush to get back on the marathon wagon again in July to redeem myself!
    I am actually nursing a slight injury post marathon so I know myself it's not a good idea to run another in July... Doesn't stop me being tempted though!!

I have used the Hal higdon plans before but I'm considering trying Pete Pfitzinger plan. I'm totally open to ideas though!!

hi Windorah, seen as you have done marathons before the Pfitzinger up to 55miles 18 week plan may suit you.
    i would recommend that you get the book, Advanced Marathoning, and read it from cover to cover.
    Best of luck with the training (and reading:))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hello Dubgal and thanks for taking the time to mentor. I'm a long-time browser on this forum but don't post very often. I have a feeling that may be about to change...

Hi mobfromcork and welcome :)

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?
    No huge background in athletics. I've done two half marathons in the last 6 months. I was due to do the Connemarathon 2015 with my brother (our first marathon) but six weeks before the race a knee injury surfaced and on the advice of my physio I withdrew and decided to focus on DCM instead if my knee was recovering well.
    Before injuring my knee pre-Connemara my last two long training run times were
    30km/18.5 miles in 2hr 38
    32km/20 miles in 2hr 50
    I was gutted pulling out of the Connemarathon as most of the hard training was done. I was too late to defer so I went along with both my parents, who were doing the half-marathon, and my brother to collect the race packs in Clifden. I was still half thinking of just going for it and trying to get around the course but my brain kicked in and I decided to let it go and focus on a race later in the year.

Really sorry to hear about your injury but you did the right thing!! and now have a lovely base to build on....

October 2014 - 130km/81 miles
    November - 152km/94 miles
    December - 170km/105 miles
    January - 236km/146 miles
    February - 192km/119 miles
    March - 30km and then knee started acting up

What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Rugby, hurling, football up to age 20 at a reasonably good level. Floundered in my 20s apart from sporadic bouts of weight-training, hill-walking etc. In 30s did some running, cycling but only to try and stay in reasonable shape (which I didn't). Did some boxing with a Dublin club for a good few months last year and really enjoyed it but found it hard to make training with young child/work/family life so started running again as i could get up and go very early in the morning without impacting too much on family stuff. Since hurting my knee I've been swimming and cycling a bit more to stay fit.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I haven't done many races. I hope to do the Dublin race series this year to get more experience.

Clontarf Half Marathon in December 2014 - 1hr 48
    Rathdrum Half Marathon February 2015 - 1hr 37

Nice progression here and if you 'hasten slowly' on your recovery you should see a similar progression throughout the coming cycle. The beauty of the race series is that it allows you to reassess how your training is going and your targets at the appropriate stages. They're in that order for a reason ;)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ?
    No. I sometimes stop to drink water on the long runs or take marshmallows from running backpack but don't need to stop because of fitness levels.

just as a matter of interest, tell us more about the backpack...help or hindrance and have you raced/do you plan to race with it?

How much training do you currently do incl cross training?
    Currently 3 or 4 days running and 1 or 2 days rehab for knee - stretching/swimming. I need to rebuild VMO and quad muscle on right leg as they are considerably smaller than on left leg which gave rise to my knee problem. I have a short cycle commute to work, maybe about 30km per week.

How many days a week do you run only?
    Generally 4 days per week.

What do you want to achieve? I want to get to the start line injury free and enjoy the race.

Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream time - Sub 3.30
    Realistic - between 3.30 and 3.45

What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?
    When training for the Connenmarathon I used the Boards training plan found on last years DCM thread and was following it pretty well and plan on using it again for this year's DCM.

I'm really looking forward to getting back following a running programme with a target at the end. I'm enjoying running at the moment but find it easier when I've a goal in mind. I think my base will be ok for DCM and I hope my knee will be in good shape again by the time the plan starts properly.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone

Mob

Have stuck a few comments into your answers above. Will have this year's boards plan up and running soon. Thanks for that mob and best of luck with the recovery.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think I'll ease back on the longer runs over the next few weeks, maybe keeping my longest runs below about 12m, transferring that lsr mileage into a fourth day running (I've been mostly running on 3 days a week up to now) .

I'll then add an easy fifth day around the time that the plan begins and start building the lsr back up gradually to gracefully merge into the boards plan at around week 14 (the 15m lsr week). The plan has an lsr progression of 8m, 10m, 13m, 13m, 15m, so I'd be looking at something like 11m, 12m, 13m, 14m, 15m.

Does that sound reasonable?

Hi Phoebas, the last thing you want to do is enter the marathon training cycle fatigued but I get it if you really like doing a lsr (make sure it stays slow though). Maybe do an 11-12 every second week (if you insist ;) ) and every other week, a 9-10. Have a look at this and maybe consider introducing one session a week - for now - of pacier stuff. This will benefit your training just as much as hammering out a 12 miler every weekend. The introduction of extra days is sound, spreading the load over the course of the week is the way to go.

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Hello Dubgal and thanks for taking the time to mentor. I'm dabbling with the idea of DCM this year!
    I'm currently training for the race series but the dream is to run DCM! My training is building up to it - but I won't sign up until August or September.

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?
    Running with a club for the last 2 years. 3-4 times a week. I joined for fitness and weightloss - have no other athletics background whatsoever :S

What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    None apart from the gym, I like to go most mornings before work for a spinning class, weight lifting or a swim. My job has a running club at lunch hour so 2-3 times a week we all head out for a 5k.

Not too many, I done the race series last year and really enjoyed it. My most recent race was Samsung at 62 mins which was a PB for a 10k - I don't run fast but I get there eventually!
    My best 5k (Parkrun in Feb - 29.3)
    Best half marathon (Dublin half 2014 - 2hr 24mins.)

I've done two half marathons and have signed up for the R&R and Dublin halves in Aug and Sept.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ?
    No. I run slower until I feel better than try speed up again.

How much training do you currently do incl cross training?
    3-4 days running and 2-3 days gym classes.

Usually 2, 3 if I do a Parkrun on a Saturday.

What do you want to achieve?
    I want to get to the finish line! Hopefully injury free

Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream time - 4.40
    Realistic - between 4.50 and 5.10

Whatever plan my club gives me! Usually builds by a mile a week with the longest run being 22 miles.

I need to work a lot on my nutrition, I'm a vegetarian and tend to go for a lot of quick and easy meals instead of cooking from scratch. I also need to build core strength, I think if I can get these two issues sorted I'll have a good base for training for DCM! :)

Thanks for taking the time to help out us poor novices, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions! :D
    Hi kittyclaws and welcome :)
    Laura has given sound advice about committing to training in the meantime and I see by your reply you are talking from the same page. Congrats on what you have achieved so far. Parkruns are great aren't they? You will have seen that I have advised other novices to focus on building up the days that they can commit to running. Your cross training will have given you a solid strength and conditioning base but - and sorry, sounds like you really enjoy it - you may have to sacrifice a session or two if it means you can fit in a couple of extra days running...Do you think you will be able to build towards that?
    Racing two half marathons in August and September may be too much so you might like to treat the RnR half as a training run. We can look at that closer to the time.
    Great to see you have a club environment, there'll be no excuse for not getting out for those lsr's :D

• Advertisement

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    What is your athletics background? Have you run before?What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?

Keen cyclist ( Wicklow 200 last 3 years ). Moved onto doing 5ks, 10ks and half marathons, duathlons then eventually into triathlons. Doing DCM as well as IM Barcelona ( April ) for charity.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

Last race was Balbriggan HM 1:37
    5K PB is 20:31
    10k is 42:25

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

6 days a week. Running, swimming and cycling as well as core and strength training.
    Run about 20k on a regular week but if I pencil in a distance run on the weekends it would be be near a 40k week

How many days a week can you train?

As above 6.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Sub 4 would be great.

Undecided yet. All I'm hearing is I need a plan but I think I'd be happier doing my own thing.
    Hi Stevo, I see we have gained a replacement for one of our athletes (she deserted to the *other forum*...), welcome.
    It looks like you have a solid base and I'd say your target is realistic and sensible for now. You're a slightly different kettle of fish (yeah, I know I did that ;) )as you are swimming and cycling also but keep an eye on the weekly mileage:long slow run ratio. 50% is too much really.
    You don't *have* to follow a traditional plan but the tried and tested ones are there because they have been....well, tried and tested. Maybe you could pin down a few that you think will suit your lifestyle and other commitments and we could help you construct one that will work for you, giving you a structured progression. Have a think anyway.

Thanks a million Dubgal. I have no idea how u are keeping up with this thread and replying to everyone individually but thanks! It's much appreciated!

No I actually ran a marathon a few weeks back and was very disappointed with my time of 4.26 hence the rush to get back on the marathon wagon again in July to redeem myself!
    I am actually nursing a slight injury post marathon so I know myself it's not a good idea to run another in July... Doesn't stop me being tempted though!!

I have used the Hal higdon plans before but I'm considering trying Pete Pfitzinger plan. I'm totally open to ideas though!!
    Ok...I am going to say nononononono :D Running many marathons close together will not necessarily make you a better marathon runner....training smartly for one will ;)
    You will redeem yourself...in October (and with maybe a 10 mile and HM PB along the way...).
    Have you had a chance to analyse what went wrong recently? (And sorry to hear about your disappointment)

OK feck it.

I'm in.

I'm scared. Terrified, actually, but here goes.

I was supposed to be doing Edinburgh next week but and injury meant I had to pull out, so on to Dublin :)

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?

I used to be quite sporty as a teen, I played basketball and hockey, and did Kenpo, but nothing serious since then cardio wise. I am strong and do crossfit but running was always my weakness, so a year ago I started running and now here I am. Slow, but moving.

I was going well until I got injured and had to completely give up running for too long a while, and so I’m only back to building myself back up. I’m in week 4 of my recovery programme.

Raced is a loose term!
    I’ve run in races before 
    My PBs are not only extraordinarily poor, but most likely irrelevant as I don’t think I could even hit them right now. So I’m sort of starting with a blank canvas here.

Mostly not, very occasionally I do but it’s not the norm. I’d say no though as a more general answer.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Like I said earlier, I’m building myself back up from injury at the moment so my runs are mostly all at easy pace and on the flat, I’m currently running 3 days a week, down from 5 prior to injury. This will obviously increase. This week will see me hit approx 25km with a longest run of around 12km (though my programme is in minutes rather than distance)

I do crossfit twice a week. Ideally I would do 3 sessions a week but have been advised that it may be counterproductive to do so. Nonetheless, I LOVE crossfit and so I am happy to get to train at all. So I’ll keep this up until much much closer (i.e. until I’m told I have to stop :P).

I can train as many days as I need to train. I will make the time. This morning was my first 6am run, and I’m going to try and get my midweek ones in early if I can from now on. We’ll see how that goes.

Edit; to clarify; my number of days is set by the person writing my plans, I'll train whenever how ever often he tells me to.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I want to run the race in its entirety. I don’t have a time yet, I will have a better idea by the time the marathon plan itself starts. I want to not die, I want to enjoy the experience so that I’ll do it again, but better.

I have had a programme designed for me, I’m just doing what I’m told and hoping it all falls into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I can train as many days as I need to train. I will make the time. This morning was my first 6am run, and I’m going to try and get my midweek ones in early if I can from now on. We’ll see how that goes.

Good luck whoopsadaisy!

Just wanted to say that I think the 'can' in the above question refers as much to your physical capability as your availability. That said if you've got a plan that you're happy with it's probably not that important.

Training by times is a great way to develop - hopefully it turns to distance towards the end of the plan though? It's important because you'll be running 26.2 miles in 4 or five hours rather than for 5 hours during which you cover 26.2 miles or so. It's a subtle but important difference!

Clearlier wrote: »
    Good luck whoopsadaisy!

Just wanted to say that I think the 'can' in the above question refers as much to your physical capability as your availability. That said if you've got a plan that you're happy with it's probably not that important.

Training by times is a great way to develop - hopefully it turns to distance towards the end of the plan though? It's important because you'll be running 26.2 miles in 4 or five hours rather than for 5 hours during which you cover 26.2 miles or so. It's a subtle but important difference!

Thanks Clearlier :)

I'll essentially train as often as I'm told to train by my running dude! At the moment that's 3, later it could be 6. I'm at his mercy :P

I don't know about the plan turning to distance, to be honest, it's a question I can ask. The current plan brings me up to the Irish Runner 5 mile recovery week so my new plan will commence after that. He knows what he's at, so I'm going to put all of my trust in him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Best of luck to everyone doing their first Marathon.
    I did my first last year and found the 2014 Novices thread a great source of inspiration and help.
    It's a wonderful feeling when you eventually cross the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Hey guys, quick question about sleep. I know that to run well, it's important to rest well and get enough sleep. My problem is that I rarely get good quality sleep, in fact I can't remember the last night I slept a night through or woke up feeling refreshed and energetic.

I have tried EVERYTHING to improve my sleep. Lavender oil. Cammomile tea. Warm milk. Setting a routine. Reading before bed. Not reading before bed. Going to bed early. Going to bed late. Keeping a journal before bed. Counting sheep. Counting my breaths. Counting my breaths backwards from 100. Praying. Begging. Pleading. I have tried every remedy or idea I can think of but I still find it hard to fall asleep and hard to stay asleep. I also dream very vividly so when I DO get to sleep, my brain is still awake and when I wake up I feel like I haven't slept.

My best sleep is usually in the mornings, which is unfortunate because that's when I have to get up to go to work!

I am hoping for maybe some more ideas on how to improve my sleep. So far I've been ok with it, it's been a part of life for a long time and I'm used to it so it's not very detrimental. I just don't want it to become a problem the more marathon training I take on i.e longer and longer distances.

Yours thoughts please?

(Ok, so that ended up being a not so quick question! Sorry! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yours thoughts please?
    Try going out for a 26.2 mile run - that should do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Hey guys, quick question about sleep. I know that to run well, it's important to rest well and get enough sleep. My problem is that I rarely get good quality sleep, in fact I can't remember the last night I slept a night through or woke up feeling refreshed and energetic.

I have tried EVERYTHING to improve my sleep. Lavender oil. Cammomile tea. Warm milk. Setting a routine. Reading before bed. Not reading before bed. Going to bed early. Going to bed late. Keeping a journal before bed. Counting sheep. Counting my breaths. Counting my breaths backwards from 100. Praying. Begging. Pleading. I have tried every remedy or idea I can think of but I still find it hard to fall asleep and hard to stay asleep. I also dream very vividly so when I DO get to sleep, my brain is still awake and when I wake up I feel like I haven't slept.

My best sleep is usually in the mornings, which is unfortunate because that's when I have to get up to go to work!

I am hoping for maybe some more ideas on how to improve my sleep. So far I've been ok with it, it's been a part of life for a long time and I'm used to it so it's not very detrimental. I just don't want it to become a problem the more marathon training I take on i.e longer and longer distances.

Yours thoughts please?

Just some thoughts which may or may not help

- remove electronic devices from your bedroom
    - keep the door closed
    - Clear your mind i.e. don't think about things when you're going to sleep
    - try not using electronic devices for an hour before going to bed
    - (trying to choose words carefully) - Use you bedroom for sleeping in, not working/using your phone etc. - have a it as a place where you sleep.
    - think about separate bedrooms if your OH (assuming that's relevant) comes to bed later and wakes you up.

Hope those ideas are of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi Stevo, I see we have gained a replacement for one of our athletes (she deserted to the *other forum*...), welcome.
    It looks like you have a solid base and I'd say your target is realistic and sensible for now. You're a slightly different kettle of fish (yeah, I know I did that ;) )as you are swimming and cycling also but keep an eye on the weekly mileage:long slow run ratio. 50% is too much really.
    You don't *have* to follow a traditional plan but the tried and tested ones are there because they have been....well, tried and tested. Maybe you could pin down a few that you think will suit your lifestyle and other commitments and we could help you construct one that will work for you, giving you a structured progression. Have a think anyway.

Cheers mate, I'm going to see how I get on in the Clontarf half before I decide if I'll take up a plan.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Just some thoughts which may or may not help

- remove electronic devices from your bedroom
    - keep the door closed
    - Clear your mind i.e. don't think about things when you're going to sleep
    - try not using electronic devices for an hour before going to bed
    - (trying to choose words carefully) - Use you bedroom for sleeping in, not working/using your phone etc. - have a it as a place where you sleep.
    - think about separate bedrooms if your OH (assuming that's relevant) comes to bed later and wakes you up.

Hope those ideas are of some use.

Thanks for these.

- I have very few electronic devices in my house, let alone my room. Just my phone and laptop. I don't have any television sets or radios.
    - Door closed, yup.
    - Clear mind, not so easy. It's always going a mile a minute! It's why I've tried counting my breaths!
    - Devices before bed. Have tried that too, though not with any regularity so that's a fair point.
    - Bedroom for sleep - Another fair point. Far too easy to cozy up in bed with my laptop or book. I could always do that in the living room.
    - OH - doesn't exist. Unless you count my cat :D . I have a roommate also but I wear earplugs in bed so I don't usually hear her. Sometimes when she turns lights on it can bother me (there's window above my bedroom door so any hall lights shine into it. Don't ask me who put a window over an inside door. It was there when I bought the place!)

I'll give these a try and see what happens. Thank you kindly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Yours thoughts please?

Similar thing was happening to me a few months back as it was going on for years. I went to speak with a sleep expert as the lack of sleep was causing me to be tired and needlessly stress due to the tiredness.

1. Find out what you need & get it every week
    2. Learn to power NAP (max 30 minutes)
    3. Pen & Paper beside bed (to take notes if you wake)
    4. Warm bath before bed (NOT hot bath)
    5. Sleep Journal for 2 months
    6. Have 1 early night each week (maximum 10 hours)
    7. Avoid heavy exercise 3 hours before bed
    8. Avoid big meals/stimulants 3 hours before bed
    9. Take a snack before bed - foods with Serotonin & Tryptophan & Vitamin B
    a. Hops
    b. Cereals - whole grain
    c. Carbs – bread, rice, pasta, spuds
    d. Cup of Herbal Tea

10. Take 2 tablespoons of organic almond butter on a celery stick before bed
    11. Take Valerian (tablets or drops) before bed (if you need them)
    12. Use a pre sleep routine*

*This is probably the most important. I have my phone alarm set for 10:15. TV goes off and I spend the next 30mins getting ready for bed.

Play this cd or from your phone as a speaker.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Relaxation/dp/B002SQ5H3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432052509&sr=8-1&keywords=complete+relaxation

PS avoid alcohol also

If its light that bothers you then use an eye mask. Noise then a nice pair of earplugs. I have used both. I also have black out blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yours thoughts please?

Have you tried magnesium citrate? I take some c 30 minutes before bed, think it helps me fall asleep. Also, if you are tempted to use your phone/tablet before bed, download the twilight app, to reduce the blue light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chrismc31

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level? Running for 2 years started off at C25K, entered a 5K race at the end of that and hooked ever since!! Also do a body pump class once a week

5K – 26:53 - Mar 2014
    10K – 56:25 – Aug 2013
    Half Marathon – 2:10 – December 2013
    Have raced a number of 10K and the Waterford Half in Dec ’13 and the Wicklow Half in Mar ’15. Planning on doing the Strawberry Half (June) and Dublin Half (September)

No

How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently run 3-4 times a week usually 2 short runs (3/4miles) on my lunch break, one midweek longer run (6/8miles) and a longer slow run at weekend (8/10miles), last long run was 12M in prep for half marathon on 7 June

Just want to finish in a fairly respectable (for me) time – say 4:30/4:45. Mostly I just want to get to the start injury free. Tried to do the DCM last year but plagued by injury all year and didn’t make it to the start line. Serious hip\pelvis injury had me out of running for 3 months. Feeling much stronger and fitter this year.

What marathon programme are you following/intending to use? Either the Gerry Duffy Level 1 or the Hal Higdon. Both pretty similar and Gerry’s plan for half marathon has worked out well for me so I’m leaning toward thisone.

Looking forward to being a part of this journey and getting to the start (and finish) line in one piece this year 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

1.What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Running about 2 years, taken part in 4-5 10ks, have run about 30 Park Runs

2.Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Raheny 5 Mile Jan 2014 43 Mins
    Samsung Night Run 2014 55 mins
    Fingal 10 k July 2014 49 mins
    Great Ireland Run April 2015 53 mins

Park Run PB 22.33 5K

Jan/ Feb 2015 Winter Series Raheny Shamrocks
    3 Miles 22 mins
    2 Miles 13.52 mins
    1 Mile 6.42 mins

3.Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No Walk Breaks

4.How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Sorting out Achillies Injury, but was doing 3 days 2 x 4 miles 1 x 6-8 miles
    Just bought Road bike to cross train, will start Biking This week & Running next week

5.How many days a week do you run only?
    3 Days normally

6.What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Would like to finish under 4 hrs, But no huge hang up on time.

7.What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?
    Boards one was recommended to me, along with this Forum.

Thanks for your time, quite a job you've undertaken.

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    Similar thing was happening to me a few months back as it was going on for years. I went to speak with a sleep expert as the lack of sleep was causing me to be tired and needlessly stress due to the tiredness.

1. Find out what you need & get it every week
    2. Learn to power NAP (max 30 minutes)
    3. Pen & Paper beside bed (to take notes if you wake)
    4. Warm bath before bed (NOT hot bath)
    5. Sleep Journal for 2 months
    6. Have 1 early night each week (maximum 10 hours)
    7. Avoid heavy exercise 3 hours before bed
    8. Avoid big meals/stimulants 3 hours before bed
    9. Take a snack before bed - foods with Serotonin & Tryptophan & Vitamin B
    a. Hops
    b. Cereals - whole grain
    c. Carbs – bread, rice, pasta, spuds
    d. Cup of Herbal Tea

10. Take 2 tablespoons of organic almond butter on a celery stick before bed
    11. Take Valerian (tablets or drops) before bed (if you need them)
    12. Use a pre sleep routine*

*This is probably the most important. I have my phone alarm set for 10:15. TV goes off and I spend the next 30mins getting ready for bed.

Play this cd or from your phone as a speaker.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Relaxation/dp/B002SQ5H3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432052509&sr=8-1&keywords=complete+relaxation

PS avoid alcohol also

If its light that bothers you then use an eye mask. Noise then a nice pair of earplugs. I have used both. I also have black out blinds.

Some really great ideas, thank you for sharing!

Re the eye mask...I have tried those but I can't stand having things touching my nose so they don't work. I do sleep with earplugs, they are a life saver!

I can't listen to music or anything to get me to sleep because I always stay conscious enough to know I need to turn if off. I don't like leaving things on overnight.

What has almond butter got in it that will help me sleep? I'm curious, this is one 'remedy' I haven't heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

A few questions in relation to cross training and recovery.

I'm doing cycling for the next few weeks to keep up fitness while recovering from injury. I know I normally have a bit of tightness in my quads after longs runs. Would cycling be okay, or would swimming be better?

In terms of recovery, generally just use ice packs on tender areas. Would a 10 minute ice bath be a good idea (for recovery, as it's not a good idea in general!!!!!!)

I'm seeing a physio on Thursday anyway to give my legs a quick once over to make sure all is well, so I'll be picking his/her brain also!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

jake1970 wrote: »
    hi Windorah, seen as you have done marathons before the Pfitzinger up to 55miles 18 week plan may suit you.
    i would recommend that you get the book, Advanced Marathoning, and read it from cover to cover.
    Best of luck with the training (and reading:))

Got it! Iv just had a quick look through it but it looks good so far. So excited to really get stuck in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Hi all, new to boards and delighted to have found this thread :-)

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?

- Running for a year now. Would also go to the gym and do lot's of Bikram yoga.

- 5k : 22.05 (today)
    - 10k : 48.49 (Great Ireland Run, April 2015)

- No

How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

- I train with a club 3 days a week and then I also do my own easy runs with some gym and yoga.

- To finish the marathon under 4 hours and to feel ok still.

- Not sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

There's a very interesting series of blog posts from the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry - google for
    "sports surgery clinic" marathon

(I can't link directly - I haven't posted enough to boards yet ;( )

The first post of the 4 blog posts reccomend doing strength training in the time before the marathon training plan kicks in at the end of June. 2-3 strength sessions over the next few weeks sounds do-able - anybody else following this kind of plan right now?

Also, has anybody availed of the running clinics there? Are they worthwhile for marathon newbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Some really great ideas, thank you for sharing!

Re the eye mask...I have tried those but I can't stand having things touching my nose so they don't work. I do sleep with earplugs, they are a life saver!

I can't listen to music or anything to get me to sleep because I always stay conscious enough to know I need to turn if off. I don't like leaving things on overnight.

What has almond butter got in it that will help me sleep? I'm curious, this is one 'remedy' I haven't heard before.

I have one of the alarm clocks that raises the level of light in the room gradually before the alarm goes off in the morning. I got it to help me wake up rather than fall asleep but it does have a function whereby you can set it to turn the light and/or music off gradually after 10/15/20/30 mins etc at night as well so you wouldn't need to be worrying about turning anything off. Am sure, you can get timer thingys that you can put on plugs if you didn't want to invest in fancy (although fantastic) expensive alarm clock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Got it! Iv just had a quick look through it but it looks good so far. So excited to really get stuck in:)

Make sure you take the advice to read this book before jumping into the programme. Really pays off to understand exactly what you are doing and why........well it did for me anyway. Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's a good book even if you're not following the plan. I'm currently reading it for the second time. There's some good things in there about Cross training, Strength work, Flexibility/mobility exercises and stretching.

The most important bits to understand are how to do the various runs. The Long runs for example are not all run at the same pace, they start out slow and gradually pick up as the run goes along. I'm still getting to grips with it but if you have any P&D questions do let me know.

OK feck it.

I'm in.

I'm scared. Terrified, actually, but here goes.

I was supposed to be doing Edinburgh next week but and injury meant I had to pull out, so on to Dublin :)

I used to be quite sporty as a teen, I played basketball and hockey, and did Kenpo, but nothing serious since then cardio wise. I am strong and do crossfit but running was always my weakness, so a year ago I started running and now here I am. Slow, but moving.

I was going well until I got injured and had to completely give up running for too long a while, and so I’m only back to building myself back up. I’m in week 4 of my recovery programme.

Raced is a loose term!
    I’ve run in races before 
    My PBs are not only extraordinarily poor, but most likely irrelevant as I don’t think I could even hit them right now. So I’m sort of starting with a blank canvas here.

Mostly not, very occasionally I do but it’s not the norm. I’d say no though as a more general answer.

Like I said earlier, I’m building myself back up from injury at the moment so my runs are mostly all at easy pace and on the flat, I’m currently running 3 days a week, down from 5 prior to injury. This will obviously increase. This week will see me hit approx 25km with a longest run of around 12km (though my programme is in minutes rather than distance)

I do crossfit twice a week. Ideally I would do 3 sessions a week but have been advised that it may be counterproductive to do so. Nonetheless, I LOVE crossfit and so I am happy to get to train at all. So I’ll keep this up until much much closer (i.e. until I’m told I have to stop :P).

Edit; to clarify; my number of days is set by the person writing my plans, I'll train whenever how ever often he tells me to.

I want to run the race in its entirety. I don’t have a time yet, I will have a better idea by the time the marathon plan itself starts. I want to not die, I want to enjoy the experience so that I’ll do it again, but better.

I have had a programme designed for me, I’m just doing what I’m told and hoping it all falls into place.

Whoopsa hi! And sorry for the delay in getting to you. Another one we should have been expecting ;) I was sure you had a running log here, where's it gone?! Sorry to hear about your injury and it sounds like you're in good hands/being sensible with your build back to fitness. The morning runs will get easier, promise and this time of the year is perfect for early runs. Will you be doing them 'on empty'? Great practice for later in the cycle if you do. Running by time is a very useful approach, you're in good company - Sonia O'Sullivan logged all her non-session runs in minutes but as Clearlier recommends, start to keep an eye on the mileage later in the cycle...Unless you're going for a complete training by time on feet approach? There are quite a few convincing advocates for that. Let us know won't you?
    Finally, keep an eye on the lsr ratio as a portion of your weekly mileage, 50% is on the high side IMO. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Yours thoughts please?

Lots of great advice there, hope something helps/works! I don't have trouble sleeping (well I do, my two kids make sure I don't get enough in their own sweet ways...) but one sure fire way of keeping me up way past my beauty sleep time is a laptop or iPad in bed. Ban em ;)

Advertisement