Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭ooter

Best of luck to everyone attempting their first marathon,I followed this thread in 2013 before my first marathon and found it invaluable and I'm certain you will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

165 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Here I go again,,, 3rd time lucky on this Thread.

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?

Took up running about 5 years ago.... I am by no means a fast runner but I do love the half marathon distance. Tried and failed by doing the 2013 and 2014 Dublin Marathons, never felt a sense of achievement at the end as the wheels came off early in the race on both times. 2013 I went out too hard and broke down around the 16mile mark and in 2014 from the get go I didn't settle in the race and struggled all the way to the end. On both occasions I did manage to cross the finish line.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    2 marathons,, both over 5 hours and both horrible experiences, and here I am coming back - I feel I haven't achieved what I want out of the marathon, hence back again!!
    8 -x Half Marathons - PB - 2:06:00 Dublin Race Series 2013
    10+ 10kms = PB 54mins 2012 Great Ireland Run
    30+ 5 kms (parkrun) - PB 26mins 2013

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I've eased off on running over the last month as I completed the 1/2 Connemarathon in April. I cross train, conditioning 3 days a week and HIIT 1 day.

How many days a week can you train?
    From experience I know I need to be doing at least 4 or 5 runs a week minimum.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Would love to finish around the 4:30hr mark. However if I get around without stopping that would be make me happy!!

What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?
    Hal Higdon

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?

Have a GAA background. Played hurling all my life to senior club level. That petered out over the last few years. Got lazy, gained weight so took up running about 3 years to get active again.

Only ever ran 4-5 mile a few times a week, never progressed on my own.

Joined my local running club in October 14 and got going properly since.

Limerick Marathon 15 (first) 4:08.
    10k 46:40

The 10k was in March and my first ever 10k. Prior to that I had only ever ran 5k races. So I jumped from 5k races to the marathon!

No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently taking it easy after running my first marathon in Limerick. Up to that was training 3 times per week, Tempo, speed and LSR at the weekend.
    Will hopefully introduce some strength work as I think this let me down in Limerick.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Sub 4hrs. That was the goal for Limerick but once mile 20 hit it was just about getting over the line.

Run with the club and follow their plan but maybe introduce a 4th run per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck to the class of 2015, you are in excellent hands. I'm almost tempted now :pac::pac::pac: but will stick to the original plan for 2016 and lurk around here to start wisdom-loading ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Best of luck everyone getting involved here, I had hoped to be joining you all this year but an entire winter out means that's not going to happen. At best I'm hoping to find a HM somewhere in December or early next year, I'd like to do at least 3 of those before attempting the full. With any luck I'll be on the novices thread for DCM 2016. I'll keep an eye on this to see what I'm letting myself in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Great thread

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    - No athletics background, only took up running about 9 -12months ago. Any other sports have been fairly casual - nothing competitive
    - Lots of 5ks, parkruns etc PB = 20.45 (in recent weeks)
    - Quite a few 10ks, PB 45.30 late last year. Aiming to break 45mins in coming weeks.
    - Only one official half marathon - Temple Street Half Marathon on the Aran Islands - 1hr 41mins which I was delighted with.
    - Longest run to date was a 30k training run in 2hr 38mins - pace really slowed after the first 21k
    - No
    How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - Generally do something around 6 days a week - probably 3 runs, 2 x 1hr gym sessions and a 1km pool swim.... on average
    How many days a week do you run only?
    - 3 most weeks, sometimes 4.
    - Would like to break 4 hours but I've heard of so many people hitting the wall in the second half of last year's marathon that I'm unsure about setting this as a firm target.
    - Haven't decided yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Best of luck to all involved.
    I hope this thread is going to be left in the main forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

TheBazman

With a username like that you have a lot to live up to :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92753923

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

What is your athletics background? Have you run before?What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Running for two years, nothing outside of that barring Astro once a week.

Not counting park runs probably about 10 times in the last two years, 10K would be my most favourite racing distance.
    5K - 22:50 (29/03/2015)
    5mile - 39:36 (27/05/2014)
    10K - 47:15 (04/04/2015)
    Half - 1:56:56 (03/05/2015)

Never

I run 3 times a week currently, once with a running group on a Wed/Thursday night (typically a hard run on the road), once with my wife (an easy pace on the beach) and once on my own (on the road)...not too hard and not too easy.
    Cross train on a Tuesday night with my club working on speed and strength for an hour on a grass pitch.

Currently 3/4 but could probably make that 4/5.

My main aim to complete it running and get through in good shape. I'm aiming for 4:00-4:15 but if training goes well I would go for a sub 4 if I appear capable of that with the training.

Undecided but my running group are prescribing daily/weekly mileage starting next week so hoping to follow that and see how I go with it.
    Also purchased Graham Hilditch's Half Marathon and Marathon training guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

This was a great thread last year (enough to entice committed half-marathoners into moving up ;) ) and as someone mentioned Dubgal has been doing a bit of independent mentoring already so we are in great hands.

I am almost definitely going to be signing-up and since I am one who didn't make the start-line last year I'm still a novice. I have some serious base-building going on for the next 5 weeks, and am going to make sure that gets done before committing and answering my 7 questions. I want to get it right for 2015 :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

First off, all kudos to Dubgal for mentoring what is going to be a marathon of a thread.

I did a C25K at the beginning of 2014 and I've been running steadily enough since. I was never really sporty (a bit of Badminton) but I've taken to the running thing.

1/2M: Nov 2014 1:58:57
    10k: May 2015 50:59

No.

Typically two 5mile runs during the week and a 12-13 miler at the weekend. My longest ever run was 16 miles and the thought of running an extra 10 miles on top of that seems impossible (mind you, I had the very same thoughts the first time I ran 6 miles).

I'm going to try to commit to 5 days, but with work and family commitments, I may have to tweak that a bit.

I'm going to keep this open for review, but for now I'm setting 4:20 as an ambitious but achievable target. Mainly I just want to complete it, but in a way that I'll feel happy that I trained for a full marathon and not 3/4s of one.
    I sometimes have daydreams of a sub 4h marathon but these normally happen when I'm sitting on the couch - and not so much at the tail end of a long run. But, never say never.

I'm thinking either the Boards plan or the Hal Higdon Novice 2, but I'll be seeking advice on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Phoebas wrote: »
    First off, all kudos to Dubgal for mentoring what is going to be a marathon of a thread..

Love your work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

Best of luck dubgal I've been waiting for this to start for ages looking forward to all the advice and training tips.. Hoping DCM will be my first :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Best of luck everyone. It's great to see where people have come from and where they want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck from the 2014 DCM pacer of the year (3:40 category)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck from the 2014 DCM pacer of the year (3:40 category)

Was there much competition for that award ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Was there much competition for that award ;)

Depends which category, best looking pacer went to one of the others I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Depends which category, best looking pacer went to one of the others I think ;)

http://www.specsavers.ie/

long_b wrote: »
    Running for one year. Nothing before that.

April 2015 Half 2:05 10K 56 ish

No, although had a stop in the Half in Limerick :(

2/3 lunchtime runs at work, about 7.5km each currently, including one interval session. Long slow run at the weekend

As above, mostly.

Complete - I'm the only member of my family that hasn't run one.
    Dream time 4:15. Realistic 4:30

Undecided yet - open to advice. Which one best suits my time slots I wonder ?

Thanks in advance folks !

Welcome on board long_b and congrats on being the first novice poster here in 2015 :) Immortality guaranteed!
    It looks like you have a reasonably solid base behind you, well done on getting this far. Could you tell me a little more about the interval sessions and your lsr; distance and pace please? Your HM time suggests that your goals will be more achievable with another day into your schedule. Do you see that happening over the next month or so? Have a look at last year's Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan and see how that might fit in with your lunchtime schedule. In the meantime, keep track of your weekly mileage. I'm going to recommend that you all start to log your training. You don't have to show anyone, you'll find it a really useful tool along the way.

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level? I started running about 3 years ago but only to 5/10km distance up till last year when I took it up a bit more seriously and went to half marathon distance completing 4 half marathons and a 10 mile in the year (yes I caught the running bug !!) Only other spots I have taken part in is competitive swimming in my teens and early 20's which is a life time ago !! Think I am currently having a mid life crisis :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please
    Year Distance Race PB
    2015 2 mile Raheny winter series 00.16.49
    2015 3 mile Raheny winter series 00.25.59
    2015 5 mile Raheny 5 00.49.30
    2014 10 Km Samsung Night Run 00.56.51
    2015 10 mile Ballycotton 10 1.35.32
    2014 HM Clontarf HM 2.10.27

No
    I run 3 to 4 times a week and do pilates once a week. I do 8/10 mile at the weekends as a long run, take in my local park run to try and get my 5 km time down most weeks and then will do 8 to 10km twice during the week. Depending on how many times I get out will do between 15 and 20 miles a week.
    How many days a week can you train? 3 to 4 runs and 1 pilates class currently.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I would like to firstly finish it, secondly run it all and really without ever having done this distance before I really haven't a clue about finish time and maybe this will come as the training progresses and I can get a better idea of times.
    What marathon programme are you following/intending to use? I haven't had a chance to review them properly yet so open to any advice but will look at them both in detail over the coming days as it looks like I am committing to doing this by completing this post ..... no turning back now :( Looking forward to following the post, Thanks.
    Ahhh MrsMc...we've been expecting you ;) Welcome and delighted to see you here! It looks like you have a solid base behind you and yes, you certainly have the bug. Your answers also suggest that you'll be more than ready to start an 18 week plan on June 22nd. Looking forward to seeing how you progress, those four HMs will stand to you. And yes...you have publicly committed :D

Singer wrote: »
    Woohoo, I've been really looking forward to this thread! What I read of previous years' looked awesome. Thanks Dubgal and co. for taking it on :)

I have no real sporting background. I used to play a bit of 5-a-side football with friends until kids & work made scheduling a pain. I wasn't grotesquely overweight or anything, but increasingly aware that I was becoming less active in my mid-thirties, so I started getting out and doing some running properly last spring.

I've run 5 races.
    • Fingal 10k July 2014: 55:54 (first time I'd ever run 10k)
    • Frank Duffy 10 mile August 2014: 1:30:12 (first time I'd ever run 10 miles, kind of blew up at that bloody hill near the end)
    • Dublin Half-Marathon: 1:59:19 (first time... again had trouble on that damn hill, but I was happy with finishing < 2 hours)
    • Trim AC 10 mile February 2015: 1:19:03 (first race where I knew I could actually finish it ;) )
    • MSB St Patrick's Day 5k March 2015: 23:27

Nope.

This year I've been fairly active, other than when injured or ill. So far in May I've gotten out running 8 times, covering 68 miles (long run of 16 miles there on Sunday). Earlier in the year I was doing some gym work too (weights, bike, rowing) but intend to just run between now and late October, unless I get injured.

4-5.

• To finish the marathon.
    • To not get injured over the summer and race all the Race Series.
    • Beat last year's 10k and Half-Marathon times by 10 minutes.
    • Sub-4:00 marathon (stop sniggering and eye-rolling) is what I intend to train for. We'll see how the summer goes.

Whatever this thread tells me to :D - I think the Boards plan looks good though I'll probably keep the milage up on the long runs. I've been varying my runs a bit so I think it suits more than the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan.

Hi there Singer. Great to see you here and you're welcome...and thank you :)
    You're showing very steady and consistent improvements over the last 12+ months. Cross training seems to have been working for you so don't be in a hurry to drop it too suddenly. Perhaps nearer October you may need to focus on running but for now, if it ain't broke....
    The race series is a great way to plot your progression and an opportunity to review your training and targets along the way.
    Could you post a sample week of running, I'm a little bit concerned at the 16 mile lsr; as a proportion of your weekly mileage it looks quite high and can lead you down the road to injury quite quickly...and I know that's the last thing you want! Are you following any strength and conditioning plan or supplementary routine at the moment?

Played GAA at senior level, but that was in the last decade and I'm in my 30's now. Running wise, I never did any until I decided to try for the DCM last year, was following the Higdon plan but got a groin injury doing the 1/2 marathon distance and so had to miss out.

Did a 10k race last June, finished in 56.30. Thats my only race.

No.

I currently do 2/3 runs per week, generally 5k runs, but this last few weeks I try to do one 10k run every week. Did 12km on Tuesday. I do a lot of cross training though, mainly bouldering and wakeboarding.

Whatever it takes.

Its all about finishing it. A realistic time will be anything under 5 hours, I just don't have the foundation or pace to go quicker. I'll worry about time after the first one.

The Hal Higdon one, same as last year, don't see any reason to change it.

Hi bucketybuck, welcome back and here's to a successful DCM in 2015. Did the injury happen during the race series HM? Have you had an recurrence of it? Your cross training will stand to you and it looks like you are building conservatively. Try to keep within the 10% rule as you build (only build in increments of 10% each week). I agree that you should aim for a conservative target for now and an extra day or two running as we go along will only help you. Have you had a look at the pre-marathon plan? If you jump in now at an appropriate weekly mileage for you, you'll be rearing to go on the 22nd :)

Dow99 wrote: »
    Here I go again,,, 3rd time lucky on this Thread.

Took up running about 5 years ago.... I am by no means a fast runner but I do love the half marathon distance. Tried and failed by doing the 2013 and 2014 Dublin Marathons, never felt a sense of achievement at the end as the wheels came off early in the race on both times. 2013 I went out too hard and broke down around the 16mile mark and in 2014 from the get go I didn't settle in the race and struggled all the way to the end. On both occasions I did manage to cross the finish line.

2 marathons,, both over 5 hours and both horrible experiences, and here I am coming back - I feel I haven't achieved what I want out of the marathon, hence back again!!
    8 -x Half Marathons - PB - 2:06:00 Dublin Race Series 2013
    10+ 10kms = PB 54mins 2012 Great Ireland Run
    30+ 5 kms (parkrun) - PB 26mins 2013

No

I've eased off on running over the last month as I completed the 1/2 Connemarathon in April. I cross train, conditioning 3 days a week and HIIT 1 day.

From experience I know I need to be doing at least 4 or 5 runs a week minimum.

Would love to finish around the 4:30hr mark. However if I get around without stopping that would be make me happy!!

Hal Higdon
    Hi Dow99, definitely, here's to third time lucky! Don't beat yourself up too much about last year, it was carnage wasn't it? :eek: the heat and humidity ate me up and spat me out right from the start too. Have you had any thoughts about what you might have done differently in the run up to your previous two marathons? Was endurance a factor do you think? It's great to see you commit to 4-5 days running over the next few months but as I have recommended to other novices, build slowly and incrementally at this stage. Your strength and conditioning will stand to you also.
    As a matter of interest, what programmes have you followed for the last two marathons?
    Looking forward to us helping towards getting you over the line satisfiedthis year :)

BullBauld, TheBazman, diego_b, hilly (:) ), Phoebas and Philrunner83, I haven't forgotten ye...see you in the morning straight after coffee ;)

BullBauld, TheBazman, diego_b, hilly (:) ), Phoebas and Philrunner83, I haven't forgotten ye...see you in the morning straight after coffee ;)

It's ok, you don't need to worry about me for now, we can revisit when the 5 and half weeks are up (all going well) & I have my 7 answers written (I'll probably be asking you to have a look at a training schedule then).

Was just saying hi!

It's ok, you don't need to worry about me for now, we can revisit when the 5 and half weeks are up (all going well) & I have my 7 answers written (I'll probably be asking you to have a look at a training schedule then).

Was just saying hi!

That's cool. I'll keep the harassment to a low level so ;)

That's cool. I'll keep the harassment to a low level so ;)

Only for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »
    Go, Mrs Mc.... delighted to see you finally coming out and admitting you are hooked :) looking forward to seeing your progress. But you will be missed as a race supporter!!

Thanks Anna no going back now !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Ahhh MrsMc...we've been expecting you ;) Welcome and delighted to see you here! It looks like you have a solid base behind you and yes, you certainly have the bug. Your answers also suggest that you'll be more than ready to start an 18 week plan on June 22nd. Looking forward to seeing how you progress, those four HMs will stand to you. And yes...you have publicly committed :D

Thanks DG let the games begin

Advertisement