Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

pooch90 wrote: »
    Do they insist on you living close to the hospital if you want home birth?

I think it's best if you're 30 minutes or less away from the hospital just to make an eventual transfer easier on you and baby. There's no limit written in stone though, just need to discuss with your midwife and consultant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I would be too far away from the hospital and tbh,too much of a chicken!!
    I take my hat off to you,especially on baby number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Yes, first baby. Is this your first too?

Yep first baby too. A home birth isn't on my agenda, my bmi wouldn't allow it.

I am really hoping to try gentle birthing and to stay at home for as long as possible before going to the hospital.

Ok so my morning sickness has set a routine. I'm sick at 730/8 every morning, I wake to sick if not already awake.

I'm wondering if it would make any difference getting up at 3.30/4am and having two slices of toast???

Being sick on an empty tummy really is quiet painful

Ok so my morning sickness has set a routine. I'm sick at 730/8 every morning, I wake to sick if not already awake.

I'm wondering if it would make any difference getting up at 3.30/4am and having two slices of toast???

Being sick on an empty tummy really is quiet painful

Oh I feel your pain! It might help, I was waking up feeling acutely sick at 6.00am and took it as my cue to get something into me (have box of Rice Crispies and bowl/spoon permanently stationed in my bedside locker at this stage) and managed to keep it down. Find myself having to eat something every 2 hours throughout the whole day or I will get sick.

How on earth do people do this twice??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Oh I feel your pain! It might help, I was waking up feeling acutely sick at 6.00am and took it as my cue to get something into me (have box of Rice Crispies and bowl/spoon permanently stationed in my bedside locker at this stage) and managed to keep it down. Find myself having to eat something every 2 hours throughout the whole day or I will get sick.

How on earth do people do this twice??

In terms of the nausea and that kind of thing it's actually proving a bit easier on me this time around. One school of thought on that is that pregnancy isn't as much of a shock to your body the second time around. Who knows but I'm happy to be feeling good........ Mostly.
    I do have horrid heartburn, a sore back and I'm tired with an 8 month old on the go too but it's all good!

[quote="sambucus nigra;95648709"

How on earth do people do this twice??[/quote]

I'm guessing the joy of a new baby makes you forget it all.

We are going away with my family this weekend for my 30th and I am feeling a bit sorry for myself. I am pretty steady at being sick 5 times a day, can't do much in the spa and a fancy dinner has no appeal :( I just keep telling myself it's a blessing

Penny D, how do you have the energy for an 8 month old???

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

I think it's best if you're 30 minutes or less away from the hospital just to make an eventual transfer easier on you and baby. There's no limit written in stone though, just need to discuss with your midwife and consultant :)

Wow go you and the elective homebirth on your first, that's impressive!!
    I almost had a home/car birth on my second, not by choice lol!

Sorry to hear of the morning sickness ladies, it must be awful, I have to say I've been blessed so far that I never had it, mum/sisters didn't either so maybe it's a genetic thing...I don't know.

On another note....is anyone else HUGE at this early stage? I'm finding it hard to hold in my tummy in work, and was going to hold off telling close family until I get a scan to make sure all is ok....at this rate I'll need to tell them next week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinocicero

Does anyone else have a really weird combination of nausea and feeling really hungry?? I'm always starving and feeling crap at the same time before lunch and dinner, it's a really strange feeling. I think maybe I need more snacking and smaller main meals or something.

Dinocicero wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a really weird combination of nausea and feeling really hungry?? I'm always starving and feeling crap at the same time before lunch and dinner, it's a really strange feeling. I think maybe I need more snacking and smaller main meals or something.

I'm starving the past few days,eating dinner as soon as I'm in from work at 4. We used to eat at 7-8.
    My nausea has officially kicked in this evening though but haven't gotten sick yet. Have slept for an hour though.

• Advertisement

Just told my bf's parents, showed them a pic of the pregnancy test. They finally worked out "someone's pregnant" and then worked out it's us.
    I thought they would be more excited, maybe it was just shock, no-one knew we decided to try.
    They did ask were we happy which kinda surprised me......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just told my bf's parents, showed them a pic of the pregnancy test. They finally worked out "someone's pregnant" and then worked out it's us.
    I thought they would be more excited, maybe it was just shock, no-one knew we decided to try.
    They did ask were we happy which kinda surprised me......
    Probably shock little miss cutie...I remember when we told my parents last yr they just said that's nice and continued watching TV....they adore my little girl..told my mam yesterday and she asked was it planned even though she's always goin on about having a bro or sis for my little one....

Thanks Sammy, I guess to be fair we had never talked about trying for kids so they had no hint.

My bf's brother and his wife have just been successful through Ivf after 4 years of TTC, so I guess we weren't on the radar.

I'm guessing the joy of a new baby makes you forget it all.

We are going away with my family this weekend for my 30th and I am feeling a bit sorry for myself. I am pretty steady at being sick 5 times a day, can't do much in the spa and a fancy dinner has no appeal :( I just keep telling myself it's a blessing

Penny D, how do you have the energy for an 8 month old???

It's a testing time all right with an 8 month old. Luckily I was all about the routine pretty early on and started at that with her when she was 8 weeks old.
    Now she wakes at 7am, plays in her cot for about 15/20 minutes and we pick her up then. Breakfast, a little play time, get her dressed and it's back to bed for her first nap at 9:30am. She sleeps for a kit 90 minutes then and I chill out.
    When she gets up then at 11am we go for a walk or to the shops and it's lunchtime when we get back. She has her lunch and a little bottle and it's bed again at 1pm for another 90/120 minutes.
    Then it's play time again and tea and a bottle at 4pm- occasionally another short nap or we walk to meet my husband from the bus and we're all back ho,e by 6:30/7pm.
    It's a quick bath and bed and a bottle again between 7:30/8pm and that's it's for the night.
    She is a great little girl about her sleeping and eating snd isn't a difficult baby to be around ........... Most of the time, there are always certain days that are off days.
    We also swim one a week with water babies and go to mum and baby cinema too.

EJD wrote: »
    Wow go you and the elective homebirth on your first, that's impressive!!
    I almost had a home/car birth on my second, not by choice lol!

Sorry to hear of the morning sickness ladies, it must be awful, I have to say I've been blessed so far that I never had it, mum/sisters didn't either so maybe it's a genetic thing...I don't know.

On another note....is anyone else HUGE at this early stage? I'm finding it hard to hold in my tummy in work, and was going to hold off telling close family until I get a scan to make sure all is ok....at this rate I'll need to tell them next week :eek:

On my second pregnancy and I'm feeling much more pregnant now in terms of how I felt at this stage last time.

We told my parents yesterday. They hadn't a clue. When we told them there was tears and hugs, more tears more hugs and then told silence as the shock sunk in :)
    Really special moment x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

That's lovely little miss cutie....I'm feeling so sick today...morning sickness my ass....all day sickness would b more like it....☺

My GP was sending off my details to the hospital,do I just wait until they contact me now?
    Going public in CUMH. I already got a letter stating that I've been approved for free care but nothing else.

Ok, I still haven't heard anything from CUMH, it was two weeks ago that the GP said she was sending off my info, should I chase them up or be patient??

Ok, I still haven't heard anything from CUMH, it was two weeks ago that the GP said she was sending off my info, should I chase them up or be patient??

If it was me I'd chase them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gracemarie

Hi Pooch,

I just printed off the forms myself and sent them off. I got my appointment exactly a week later. That was for the Coombe. Maybe give them a call and make sure they received it?

• Advertisement

In may case it was about 2 weeks between my GP visit and receiving the appointment in the post.

You could try giving the central appointments crowd a ring. The number is 0214920600 (but they're only open from 1000 to 1200!)

Thanks girls, I will wait until the post comes tomorrow and if it doesn't come then I'll contact GP to chase them. I didn't know if I was expecting too much to have received it already.

Thanks girls, I will wait until the post comes tomorrow and if it doesn't come then I'll contact GP to chase them. I didn't know if I was expecting too much to have received it already.

Why not chase them directly yourself? I'd go directly to the hospital myself, GPs are busy and calling a hospital for this could be put on the long finger. If you make the call yourself you get e information directly.

I only have a 5 minute break in the two hours the phone line is open!

I only have a 5 minute break in the two hours the phone line is open!

Well then that just makes the most perfect sense.

The opening times are pretty bad aren't they?

And then they don't answer!!! GRRR!

ETA-Finally got through, the letter was actually due to be sent out today, 7th July :)

My first app is the same Pooch :)

I really need to get a handle on this sickness. It is rapidly turning into all day puking. Tmi bug was sick in the car park this morning and managed to get myself :(

I am trying the bands, fingers, constant little amounts of foods, crackers before I get up. Really none of it seems to help :(

My first app is the same Pooch :)

I really need to get a handle on this sickness. It is rapidly turning into all day puking. Tmi bug was sick in the car park this morning and managed to get myself :(

I am trying the bands, fingers, constant little amounts of foods, crackers before I get up. Really none of it seems to help :(

:( Nothing worse! Sorry to hear you're still feeling sick Little Miss Cutie.

Somedays I have been throwing up every 15 minutes or so, soul destroying as it's going on for 4 weeks straight now. I think for extreme morning sickness the holistic methods like acupressure (check), ginger tablets (check) just don't cut it.

The only things that have been helping me are:

1) Remembering that morning sickness normally means elevated levels of hormones which is a good thing for the pregnancy

2) Remembering that baby takes all they need, so the only one suffering from poor nutrition is me! i.e. less guilt

3) Snacking every 1.5 - 2 hours seems to help reduce vomiting, not nausea (sometimes even during night), if I let my stomach become empty it's a lost cause.

4) Just mind yourself and let yourself be minded if at all possible. If you can find anything at all that you can eat and keep down, even if it's "bad" for you, just roll with it.

5) If you're finding yourself very weak, with low BP or are losing a lot of weight, don't just accept it! Go to your GP/midwife/consultant and let them know! And be vocal, there are measures (from IV fluids to certain medications) that can help. Unfortunately in this country you have to fight and kick up a fuss to be taken seriously (and sometimes go in with research done and figures ready to quote)

6) Backlit computer screens and my iPhone screen set me off for some reason too, so trying to avoid as much as possible.

7) The really bad days, I have listened to the hypnobirthing Gentlebirth tracks for relaxation in early pregnancy and although they don't remove nausea, they help me sleep and feel a bit less miserable.

Hope you feel better soon

So I had my first ante natal appointment yesterday and all is well. The baby's heartbeat is brilliant and very strong.
    I'm also very impressed with the doctor that I have chosen to attend this time around. She was very nice and thorough. I had some post natal complications last time around and she was shocked when I told her how they were/weren't handled and assured me that she would be prepared for anything like that this time.
    It's a lot of money to go privately (especially compared to the public/ free or semi private which I did the last time) but after my appointment yesterday I'm very happy with my decision.
    Had a scan too and saw the little BUD (baby under development). Still find it hard to believe I'm doing it all for a second time.

• Advertisement

That's great news Penny Dreadful.

I know you were a little anxious after last time so it is great you are happy with your consultant!

How are you feeling?

Advertisement