Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Sorry this is a really silly question, how do you know that you are "still" pregnant? Not you specifically but in general...... I know that is probably a really silly question

Irish twins! An 8 month old and one of the way, you will be busy!!

I think this is a question that everyone has! I mean it can be common to find out that unfortunately the baby has no heartbeat at the scan or that it has stopped growing. In many of these cases there may not have been miscarriage symptoms. I dont want to scare anyone, that is not my intent but its something to be aware of. I worked in a Gynae ward and it was something I was witness to everyday.
    Any bleeding or spotting and intense cramping or pain can be a warning signs. Its almost like a fingers crossed scenario. Keep watching out for the good (bad:rolleyes:) symptoms like sore breasts, morning sickness and everything else. Also try and remain as positive as possible and hope that the pregnancy is a successful one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Vodkat wrote: »
    I completely understand how you feel about not being able to talk to anyone. My boyfriend lives in the US and although he is coming home in a few weeks its been so difficult. We are both really clueless so far etc, and its harder with him being away because he doesnt really understand when I tell him im sick/sad/hungry/bloated and everything else. Im having my combined care in UCHG, visited the doc a week ago and she is to send the booking appointment :confused: I havnt received a letter yet for scan date, is this normal? when should I expect to have my first scan? I feel like ive just be given this massive news that im growing a baby and I have to figure out what happens next. I know everything in regards to lifestyle and health advice. Its more the appointments and stuff that I am concerned about. The doc didn't do bloods either?? I'm very very sick with the flu at the moment, been in bed the past two days completely run down. I am also feeling about 4 months pregnant and look that way too!! How are you ladies doing?

I made my own booking appointment the last time. I went to my GP, told hi where I wanted to go and he gave me my referral letter.
    I called the Coombe and they sent out the forms to me and I sent them back asap. I got my booking appointment for when I was 12+6.
    At the booking appointment they did bloods, weight, family history and the first scan.
    My GP never did bloods.

Vodkat wrote: »
    I think this is a question that everyone has! I mean it can be common to find out that unfortunately the baby has no heartbeat at the scan or that it has stopped growing. In many of these cases there may not have been miscarriage symptoms. I dont want to scare anyone, that is not my intent but its something to be aware of. I worked in a Gynae ward and it was something I was witness to everyday.
    Any bleeding or spotting and intense cramping or pain can be a warning signs. Its almost like a fingers crossed scenario. Keep watching out for the good (bad:rolleyes:) symptoms like sore breasts, morning sickness and everything else. Also try and remain as positive as possible and hope that the pregnancy is a successful one!

There is no reason to assume that things are going wrong at all for anyone. Every little thing could be seen as a warning sign.
    Unless given any reason for pessimism then don't think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

How is everyone getting on? I now have full scale morning sickness, including a lovely bout of puking on the side of the m50 this afternoon!!

It's funny but I just feel so blessed and can't believe a little person is starting to grow inside me :?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Oh little miss cutie,you poor pet!
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today.
    I've gotten away with the nausea so far,only cramping,sleeping lots and boobs that feel like sandbags!

Told my mam on Friday,she is over the moon. She told me she never thought she would have a grandchild as she is 70 now. She is like a giddy child,it's great to see.

• Advertisement

Ah that must have been a really special moment.

I'm still in bed today and feel much better. My OH kindly made me porridge and brought it up to me in bed :) I find staying still helps avoid the nausea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinocicero

I haven't really had any full-on nausea or vomiting yet, just feeling a bit dodgy now and again. The tiredness is something else though, going to bed at 9am these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Can I join I ladies..just found out Fri that I'm due #2 around Jan 11th. Constantly nauseous, tired and have sore boobs but takin it all as great signs.

Congrats Sammy2012!!! Very exciting times :) how old is your first?

Congrats Sammy2012!!! Very exciting times :) how old is your first?

She is 21 mths....so she'll b nearly 2 and half when bans arrives all going well..I'm much more nervous this time already...was very naive on my first pregnancy...:) however def think ignorance is bliss...

• Advertisement

That will be a fun house!
    I'm already worried sick, hope it wasn't so bad for you last time!

That will be a fun house!
    My already worried sick, hope it wasn't so bad for you last time!

Fun isn't the word..:) no I had an easy enough pregnancy the last time but I had nausea until 19 weeks....was only actually sick twice though. but other than that I flew it...hoping this time will b the same..

Is it your first baby? Sorry haven't read previous posts..

Sammy2012 wrote: »

Is it your first baby? Sorry haven't read previous posts..

Hiya, yes it's our first :)

Can anyone tell me what to expect at my first gp visit? Will he exam down there?

Can anyone tell me what to expect at my first gp visit? Will he exam down there?

My GP just did a urine test (only because I asked, she said that if I'd had 4 positive tests at home I was def pregnant), blood pressure, looked at my tummy and sent me to nurse to do bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and still have never been examined "down there" :)

WittyName1 wrote: »
    I'm 38 weeks pregnant and still have never been examined "down there" :)

Ha ha easy knows it's my first, I imagine by the end of this my embarrassment will be gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gracemarie

Hi! Just back from the doctor and pregnancy confirmed! :-) Due 11th January. I have been following this thread for the last week or so but wanted to wait until I went to the doctor before posting!

This is my first pregnancy and I'm clueless to say the least! Is anyone booked into the Coombe? If so, what should I do next? My doctor said I can register myself which is grand but due to work & personal circumstances, I might not be able to accept the appointment they give me so can I ring and book an appointment before I send the form in?

Thanks!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Little Miss Cutie they only examine "down there" in the early stages of pregnancy if there is bleeding that needs investigating, or something else that requires them checking or measuring the cervix, etc. If you have internal scans for any reason obviously these are done, other than that it would be almost at full term that they would need to do anything there, checking to see how you're progressing. I had a bleed at 20 weeks and wasn't examined because they decided all was fine without doing it. I ended up having an emergency section so my entertaining fact is that I got all the way through pregnancy, birth and afterwards without having anybody look at my bits :D

Hi gracemarie..I've the same due date as me.:) I haven't been to the doctors yet as there's no rush. Mite make an app for next week.. busy with work and we've a family wedding next week too so don't have time really.. the last time I went he didn't do any test as he said he hpt's are stronger than their tests...

V excited again, just booked for our early scan on 16th June :)

• Advertisement

Is that an 8 week scan? So tempted to book one!

pooch90 wrote: »
    Is that an 8 week scan? So tempted to book one!

I will be 9 weeks and 1 day but can be done from 7 weeks onwards

On my pregnancy they didn't give a damn about down there until my waters broke at 36+6 and the baby decided to be born early.

gracemarie wrote: »
    Hi! Just back from the doctor and pregnancy confirmed! :-) Due 11th January. I have been following this thread for the last week or so but wanted to wait until I went to the doctor before posting!

This is my first pregnancy and I'm clueless to say the least! Is anyone booked into the Coombe? If so, what should I do next? My doctor said I can register myself which is grand but due to work & personal circumstances, I might not be able to accept the appointment they give me so can I ring and book an appointment before I send the form in?

Thanks!!! :-)

I went semi private in the Coome last time ( going fully private there this time) and went to my GP when I was 4 weeks pregnant. Sent off my booking form 2 days later but still didn't get my booking appointment and first scan until I was 12+6.
    This was cutting things fine if I had wanted to have a further test for Downs as this has to be done before 13 weeks. In the end I decided not to do the test and so it was ok.
    If it was me I'd send off your form as soon as you can as you might be waiting longer than you think if you're not a private patient.
    If you are private then you can do a self referral. I just called up the consultant I wanted to attend last week and have my appointment for when I'm 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gracemarie

thanks! I put them in the post yesterday so hopefully they'll receive the form today or tomorrow. How long were you waiting before they gave you a date? It's all getting real now :-)

gracemarie wrote: »
    thanks! I put them in the post yesterday so hopefully they'll receive the form today or tomorrow. How long were you waiting before they gave you a date? It's all getting real now :-)

I got the reply from the Coombe quite quickly but the fact that I was going to be 12+6 did bother me at the time.
    It also meant I was half dememted with the will I / won't I have an early scan. I was desperate to see my little one (we had been ttc for a year). In the end I didn't as I'd have had to have the booking scan anyway at the Coombe and pay for that regardless. When I stopped to think of all the stuff we would have to get for the baby all of the hundred euros added up and sense prevailed in the end.

Have my first GP app today- very excited!!

The all day nausea is much worse today, haven't been sick but have been retching about 6 times today - sorry for tmi!

I'm not complaining but I think everyone will find out much sooner than I would like if I can't keep this under control!

Have my first GP app today- very excited!!

The all day nausea is much worse today, haven't been sick but have been retching about 6 times today - sorry for tmi!

I'm not complaining but I think everyone will find out much sooner than I would like if I can't keep this under control!

Ginger is quite good at alleviating the worst of the nausea. You can either nibble on a ginger biscuit or drink some ginger tea.
    Eating small amounts frequently helps too. I found that the hungrier I was the worse my nausea got.

Just been to the doc and had pregnancy confirmed. He thinks I am due the 20th Jan whereas the online calculators say 18th. Off to book myself into Holles Street Semi-P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Oh am delighted to see this thread. Found out on Monday I'm pregnant with my 3rd baby! Due January 17th :)
    Bit nervous and worried but that's par for the course I guess. Went to the doctor today and booking into Holles Street online this evening. Eeeeek can't believe I'm doing all this again ha ha!

Congrats to everyone else. Looking forward to chatting to you all over the next few months :)

Advertisement