Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Male Privilege

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I'm happy to do that as long as feminists stop with the "women have it worse in general" and "men are the oppressor, women are the oppressed" bullsh!t. The ideal movement would be a gender neutral movement which recognises that all double standards are insidious and unacceptable, and fights to purge them from society. But that won't happen as long as the "privilege" argument is used to argue that some double standards are ok.
    If you react to a movement you view as taking an 'Us vs Them' position, by yourself taking an 'Us vs Them' position - you basically just give them exactly what they want, by providing them with a mutually opposed group they can permanently rail against.

That's exactly how 'divide and conquer' tactics work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You are directly lying here to spin-shít and to smear me. It is part of your usual tactic in debates, of needlessly personalizing them and trying to brow-beat posters.
    What lie? The bit where you decided to dismiss male conscription as a non-issue?
    Eh? Conscription doesn't exist in the western world anymore.
    You said it. There's a record. On top of which you still have not addressed the point of it still being alive and well in times of conflict, despite both Maguined and I having asked you to acknowledge that you had ignored this very important flaw in your claim that 'conscription doesn't exist' - or is something that proves you were coming out with complete tripe pedantry?

You've not accepted your 'error'. You've not even acknowledged it. You want to brush it aside and hope no one noticed. But we did. And at this stage your refusal to acknowledge it is the only lie here.

This lie:
    That point went out the window when you started to dismiss any disadvantages to being male.
    You are directly lying here to spin-shít and to smear me. It is part of your usual tactic in debates, of needlessly personalizing them and trying to brow-beat posters.
    I'm not going to let you try to spin it around back to the conscription issue there - you tried to paint me as dismissing "any disadvantages to being male".

The entire conscription issue was ancillary
    Which is why you took pains to dismiss it as non-existent?
    Certainly, on a forum based in Ireland, citing conscription as an issue men face comes across as - at best - facetious.
    LOL. Dismissing it as a Western issue didn't work, so now the goalposts have changed so he can dismiss it as an Irish one.

I'm not going to let you try to spin it around back to the conscription issue there - you tried to paint me as dismissing "any disadvantages to being male".
    You're right; I should have said any disadvantages to being male being discussed. You've not managed to dismiss any others just yet.

• Advertisement

So yes - you lied, by trying to portray me as dismissing "any disadvantages to being male", and now you're trying to needle at me with pedantry over the conscription issue.

You're even trying to perpetuate your lie still, by saying "You've not managed to dismiss any others [male disadvantages] just yet" - showing that you expect me to dismiss disadvantages to being male in general.

Your caricature of me, and your style of argument, are deliberately antagonistic and confrontational, in an attempt at brow-beating and smearing me by lying about me - and I'm going to keep calling you out on that bullshít wherever I see it.

So yes - you lied, by trying to portray me as dismissing "any disadvantages to being male", and now you're trying to needle at me with pedantry over the conscription issue.
    Are you completely out of your mind or think we're all fools? You made a completely false and serious claim, pointing that out is not pedantry. And still you refuse to address, let alone accept the point made by both Maguined and I that underlines this. What a joke.

Are you completely out of your mind or think we're all fools? You made a completely false and serious claim, pointing that out is not pedantry. And still you refuse to address, let alone accept the point made by both Maguined and I that underlines this. What a joke.
    I've addressed Maguined's arguments directly (and I have made clear, how the entire conscription issue is missing the point of what was being debated, in that you can't even compare issues like conscription against pregnancy) - so again, that's another deliberately misleading statement from you, as I have directly replied to every one of his posts - but I'm not going to entertain your nonsense when you've directly lied about me and are trying to smear me with the previously mentioned caricature.

Your debating style - directly trying to lie about and smear other posters, notching up the antagonism post by post to try and brow-beat them - makes you not worth debating with; it does make your debating style worth pointing out in detail though, to expose to other posters on the thread - which I'll keep on doing repeatedly here-on, whether I see that directed at me, or at other posters.

I still stand by the claim that, with exceptions from countries that make up a tiny proportion of the western population (something I've already acknowledged earlier), conscription is not an issue in the western world - and I've provided the backing for this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription#/media/File:Conscription_map_of_the_world.svg

I've addressed Maguined's arguments directly (and I have made clear, how the entire conscription issue is missing the point of what was being debated, in that you can't even compare issues like conscription against pregnancy)
    No you addressed it by refusing to do so as irrelevant; in short, you dismissed it. So that is a lie.
    I still stand by the claim that, with exceptions from countries that make up a tiny proportion of the western population (something I've already acknowledged earlier), conscription is not an issue in the western world - and I've provided the backing for this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription#/media/File:Conscription_map_of_the_world.svg
    And the rebuttal to this? The one that rubbishes your response? The one that's been repeatedly asked of you? More dishonesty from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Of course for anyone who cares to look back at the thread, the issue of pregnancy and fertility was put into context with the longer lives women enjoy on average- not as a ' well look how bad men have it' point but as a reflection that both genders have biological aspects that are unfavourable to their gender.

Conscription really was never compared to pregnancy until some posters who'd rejected the idea of female social privilege to focus on biological privilege, then flip flopped again when they came up short on that one....

But given one side keeps narrowing the frame of reference for privilege there's actually no comparable aspect left to comapre conscription to

If anyone doesn't believe me go read back into the thread, its not hard to find...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I don't know why conscription is being used as a generalised factor in what is very much a nation based policy in this competition of who has it worse.

All policy depends on the nation. Ireland doesn't have ANY conscription nor does it have abortion and it certainly has a history of questionable obstetrics.

The US still has a requirement for men in a SPECIFIC AGE BRACKET to register but it is not enforced and all ONLY SONS are exempt.

Isreal- both men and women must do military service. It too probably has its exceptions.

Females tend not to have such biological exemptions.

How many of the men here have actually had to do military service. My guess is a big fat zero.

No you addressed it by refusing to do so as irrelevant; in short, you dismissed it. So that is a lie.
    Bollocks - more misrepresentation from you, here is my previous reply to him:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95587016&postcount=721
    And the rebuttal to this? The one that rubbishes your response? The one that's been repeatedly asked of you? More dishonesty from you.
    There was no rebuttal to my claim that - with exceptions that count for only a small portion of the western worlds population - conscription isn't an issue in the western world:

Unsurprisingly you never quote anything you claim is a 'lie' or a rebuttal - because you know what your posting is a misrepresentation.

Maguined wrote: »
    When you say it doesn't exist do you mean it is not currently being enforced in any country or that it cannot legally be enforced? Plenty of western countries legally can enforce a male only conscription during wartime. In Finland all males have to give a year to national service or face prison. Women can volunteer, it is a choice not a duty. Is Finland not a western country in your eyes?

This is a year of one's life. Female fertility is from around 12 to 65.

So one country, one year....vs....an entire half the world's population...for a vast majority of their lives.

Another own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

zeffabelli wrote: »
    This is a year of one's life. Female fertility is from around 12 to 65.

Is that not a little optimistic?

Saullll wrote: »
    Are you saying the average year of being a fertile female is as bad as the average year of being conscripted?

Your bias is ridiculous.

My bias is ridiculous....oh jesus. WOW....you haven't read the last four pages of this thread...it's like a clown car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭DeadHand

In one sentence your a pedant

You're*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Are people arguing that pregnancy is a disadvantage? Hmmm I thought that would depend on how you look at it wouldnt it? Most people see pregnancy and birth as an amazing and miraculous aspect of life.. women are lucky that it is them that get to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Playboy wrote: »
    Are people arguing that pregnancy is a disadvantage? Hmmm I thought that would depend on how you look at it wouldnt it? Most people see pregnancy and birth as an amazing and miraculous aspect of life.. women are lucky that it is them that get to experience it.

I'm guessing women who have actually given birth are the only ones qualified to say whether it's a good thing or not. Everyone else can be either jealous of it or repulsed if they so desire, but it doesn't make them an authority on it.

How many of the men here have actually had to do military service. My guess is a big fat zero.

Because we happen to live in a peaceful country.

If we were in a military situation in which conscription was essential to survival who do you imagine would be the first people conscripted? The young men. Then the slightly older men. And so on in that fashion.

For the uncomfortable but undeniable reasons that males make better soldiers and are, far from being the privileged sex, the disposable sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm guessing women who have actually given birth are the only ones qualified to say whether it's a good thing or not. Everyone else can be either jealous of it or repulsed if they so desire, but it doesn't make them an authority on it.

huh? Generally the narrative that you hear is that pregnancy is positive and not negative. I'm sure some would prefer not to be pregnant and luckily they have that choice if they so wish. To paint it a a biological disadvantage is slightly ridiculous though.. disadvantage in comparison to what? Its just different to men, its not a handicap of some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

Maguined wrote: »
    I was really just offering up the biological reason men seem to die younger, they also seemed to be throwing in details about fetuses as well though Zeffas articles does look to refute that.

Is testosterone not inherently part of male fertility? If you accept that estrogen makes womens bodies weaker is a disadvantage how are you then dismissing men not enduring for their fertility when the hormone that controls it is also the hormone that results in a weaker immune system which is potentially the reason for the shorter life span? Testosterone is also attributed to why men are more aggressive and risk taking.

It's a trade off not one being objectively better than the other. You mentioned biological privilege and I responded to your biological points and you are bringing up chivalry which is not biological but social.

I'm not dismissing the effects of testosterone--I'm saying that the effects of testosterone are weaker immune systems, but the effects of estrogen are weaker bodies overall and, on top of that, all the other things they have to endure. Men do not inherently have to take risks or be more aggressive. So, I'm sorry, but the effects do not equal in my opinion--men are immune from the many things woman are forced to endure, unless medial intervention is taken. The only reason I mentioned chivalry was because I was curious about it.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Historically males have fought to protect females and worked to provide for them.

Never in the history of humanity have oppressors fought to protect or worked to provide for those they were oppressing.

Obviously, things have changed drastically and for the better but this narrative that has sprung up of all men having a ball while women were automatically oppressed and it was all the fault of the men is patent nonsense.

The amount of misery we get doled out has far more to do with our socioeconomic positions than our genitalia.

If most of my female counterparts are doing a little better than I am (they are) the "fault" is (quite rightly) attributed to me and it is squarely up to me to change this. Were I female and my male counterparts were having a better time I could scream sexism and wrap myself in the comforting blanket of victimhood, blaming abstract constructs like the "patriarchy" for my own failings. I would have several movements and an entire industry to encourage these feelings.

This is why invented victimhood is so seductive. This is why a powerful industry has bloomed around it. It shields people from having to look at themselves, it allows them to do the most comforting thing of all: blame someone else.

This word has been bandied around a lot in this thread and I'm wondering what it has to do with privilege? Or blame, for that matter?

It's funny how any mention of men being at a disadvantage 'just comes across' as that. Fascinating how we've been conditioned to think so.

Victimization much?

tritium wrote: »
    So to summarise the thought processes on this thread so far:

White male privilege, does it exist?
    Yes camp: of course, heres all the reasons white males have it better in society

No camp: well, since you've framed privilege as a social construct, to counter that, there are many examples where (white) men have it worse in society. How can they be privileged if both face significant disadvantage?

Yes camp: OK but ignoring that, women have it harder as they age and fertility declines. They're judged on looks!

No side: sure and men are unfairly judged on success. Not to mention that just cause a 90 year old man has viable sperm doesn't mean he's going to be fighting off the young ladies.

Yes camp: OK but ignore all the social elements. Let's talk pregnancy and fertility, women have that to deal with!

No camp:WTF, we've gone from privilege as social construct to 'nature has it in for women'! When did mother nature sign up and pay dues for the patriarchy! Ok,pregnancy is a biggie. Tell you what, men on average die younger than women. That's a biggie too. ..

Yes camp: yes but ignoring that, and ignoring any other biological downside you present of being a man. What about pregnancy? men are so privileged!.......

When I put it like that I'm not sure there's much point debating, cause one half of this debate seems to want a veto on everything......

Wrong tritium. Firstly, I never said white privilege existed, certainly not in Ireland. Secondly, I'm not talking about pregnancy. You hear me? Not pregnancy. Thirdly, why does discussing the biological differences between men and women always come down to the men trivializing the biological disadvantages that women face? Nature has it in for women, you say? Now who's dismissing the other side of the argument? And why do people keep talking about patriarchy? The people in here are arguing about privilege on the basis of society, economy, politics, etc., all of which change from country to country and throughout time. Biology is constant. So if you want to bring in the idea of conscription and all the other social factors, then fine, how about we take a trip back in time and focus on the fact that until now (and still only in the Western world) women were never considered equal to men. And why is that? Well, it all comes down to biology. Men have reproductive value their entire lives and women do not and that is why, throughout history, women have been treated like resources and traded like food and water and if you don't believe me then read a history book. It's ridiculous to compare women's fertility to a political immunity like conscription.

The point raised about testosterone causing early death is countered by the fact that estrogen makes the body more fragile, yet no one can counter what women have to endure for their fertility outside of pregnancy. All they can do is cite conscription-which is not a biological condition, it's a societal condition. And all of this back-and-forth started when someone posted that male privilege does not exist because of, among other things, video games being demonized, male sexuality being demonized, and girls' behavior being the gold standard. Using that logic, and citing examples of when women are subject to double standards, I came to the opposite conclusion. Oddly enough, his post got thanked by multiple posters, so your indirect accusations about brattiness and whining should be directed at that poster and all the others who thanked it-- not to me.

tritium wrote: »

Conscription really was never compared to pregnancy until some posters who'd rejected the idea of female social privilege to focus on biological privilege, then flip flopped again when they came up short on that one....

But given one side keeps narrowing the frame of reference for privilege there's actually no comparable aspect left to comapre conscription to

If anyone doesn't believe me go read back into the thread, its not hard to find...
    OK how about this: the incredible social pressure women face to carry a child to term and raise it? Dismiss the pain women have to endure to carry the child to term, dismiss the risks to their health, how about the fact that in a majority of the countries in the world, including Ireland, women are legally bound to carry the child? And after the child is born, the pressure women have to face to spend the next 18 years of their life to raise that child. Comparable enough?

Actually, don't dismiss pregnancy. Men are expected by society to put their lives on the line to fight and women are expected to put their lives on the line for pregnancy.

Because we happen to live in a peaceful country.

If we were in a military situation in which conscription was essential to survival who do you imagine would be the first people conscripted? The young men. Then the slightly older men. And so on in that fashion.

For the uncomfortable but undeniable reasons that males make better soldiers and are, far from being the privileged sex, the disposable sex.

First of all you need to distinguish between the essential and the conditional. This is not to say that the conditional is not worth examining, but for now the essential is dominating this discussion.

You are counter arguing essentials with examples of conditionals, and conditionals which are fairly tenuous at best.

So you have Finland, Austria and Switzerland out of the entire west. And those countries even then offer alternative service. Norway voted in conscription for women, but overall their conscription is more de jure anyway.

The draft has been abolished, so while historically you may have had a point, I don't think in contemporary times, conscription really stands as an argument.

Technology also is changing warfare.

And out of curiosity who do you say men make better soldiers?

First of all you need to distinguish between the essential and the conditional. This is not to say that the conditional is not worth examining, but for now the essential is dominating this discussion.

You are counter arguing essentials with examples of conditionals, and conditionals which are fairly tenuous at best.

We happen to be lucky and live in a stable , peaceful place. If the time comes when we need to militarily defend our society who do you imagine will do most of the heavy lifting in this regard? This great "privilege" would fall on the young males.

The same group who have the great privilege of being more likely to fall victim to violent crime, die of suicide or fall into addiction.
    And out of curiosity who do you say men make better soldiers

I assume you mean "why".

Because men are, generally, stronger and capable of greater physical endurance than women. Only in times of existential crisis does a nation conscript its females (Israel). Germany still didn't resort to this, even when Soviets were kicking in the door to Hitler's office.

We happen to be lucky and live in a stable , peaceful place. If the time comes when we need to militarily defend our society who do you imagine will do most of the heavy lifting in this regard? This great "privilege" would fall on the young males.

Honestly I think Ireland would rely on Britain or the US for any kind of defense measures if there really was some kind of attack.

I assume you mean "why".

Because men are, generally, stronger and capable of greater physical endurance than women. Only in times of existential crisis does a nation conscript its females (Israel). Germany still didn't resort to this, even when Soviets were kicking in the door to Hitler's office.

Yeah I think its because men can' get pregnant...and no army wants a bunch of pregnant women and babies to deal with. If they were going to start drafting women, then they'd also have to have state enforced birth control. Also because war has often been about access to women and over women, that they hardly want to risk killing off such a resource.

German women had to procreate ideals of the species no less.... and confined to the kitchen.

Honestly I think Ireland would rely on Britain or the US for any kind of defense measures if there really was some kind of attack

With their overwhelming male soldiers. And, if the situation demanded more manpower both those powers would draft their young males first.

I doubt the Irish would have the luxury of being spectators to any conflict taking place in Ireland.
    Yeah I think its because men can' get pregnant...and no army wants a bunch of pregnant women and babies to deal with. If they were going to start drafting women, then they'd also have to have state enforced birth control. Also because war has often been about access to women and over women, that they hardly want to risk killing off such a resource

Or... Men are, in general, physically fitted to make superior soldiers and are regarded socially as the disposable sex.

Access to women has been a spoil of war- not a casus belli in and of itself.

• Advertisement

With their overwhelming male soldiers. And, if the situation demanded more manpower both those powers would draft their young males first.

I doubt the Irish would have the luxury of being spectators to any conflict taking place in Ireland.

Or... Men are, in general, physically fitted to make superior soldiers and are regarded socially as the disposable sex.

Access to women has been a spoil of war- not a casus belli in and of itself.

No, you are ignoring the advances in technology - more and more use of drones...less men.

You might be right...after all this is speculation....but why? It is because female fertility would be a liability in the context of war.

Advertisement