Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergic to Work

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I've been working since 12 years of age usually hard working jobs,fishing boats,farming,construction.I've come to a point in my life were I've realized I'm nothing but a wage slave and that human life is too precious to be sold away by the hour,its not that I'm allergic to work far from it I just don't like the idea of having to do this until I'm in my sixties with not much to show for it,working mind numbing soul destroying jobs wasting away my better years to pay taxes to a corrupt shower of cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Many people have many reasons for not working or being unable to work but it is the duty of the gvt to provide each and everyone of us with the opportunity. Full Unemployment is not as important as the quality and decency you afford the workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I've been working since 12 years of age usually hard working jobs,fishing boats,farming,construction.I've come to a point in my life were I've realized I'm nothing but a wage slave and that human life is too precious to be sold away by the hour,its not that I'm allergic to work far from it I just don't like the idea of having to do this until I'm in my sixties with not much to show for it,working mind numbing soul destroying jobs wasting away my better years to pay taxes to a corrupt shower of cnuts.

At least you went out and worked to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

What's your alternative ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

222233 wrote: »
    just don't think its right that other people have had to take a fall and struggle while working to accommodate these people not to work, i think you should be forced into paying a higher rate of tax after several years of self decided unemployment

I agree with you. Is it even worth it these days working your ass off only to be economically raped by taxes. It's not a nice feeling at all working just to pay bills and a little left for food for families, working just to exist, it's nasty sh!t to say the least.

SME's can moan all they like about the minimum wage being upped to a living wage saying they will suffer. I think the folks on minimum wage have suffered enough already, and a living wage is the most justly thing to implement imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Self-employment.

The only people who are green with envy reading the posts about the American welfare system.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

That USC was supposed to be only temporary, they should got rid of that nasty thing instead of barely cutting it. The gov said that they are making a lot of money from it, but unjustly imo.

Yes I agree, people on 20K should not be paying 7% of their income in USC. Problem is that exchequer is now reliant on it, but it needs to be cut to give low earners a greater incentive to get out of bed and go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Me? I'm working cash in hand, saving up, moving abroad and hopefully starting a business

I agree with you. Is it even worth it these days working your ass off only to be economically raped by taxes. It's not a nice feeling at all working just to pay bills and a little left for food for families, working just to exist, it's nasty sh!t to say the least.

SME's can moan all they like about the minimum wage being upped to a living wage saying they will suffer. I think the folks on minimum wage have suffered enough already, and a living wage is the most justly thing to implement imo.

Its not nice to live in ****ty accommodation, have to practically be dying to go to a doctor, walk to work in the p***** rain, do 40 hours a week, pay back your loans that got you your education to get a job and watch the person across the road packing the state funded family off for a holiday while sitting around watching tv every other day. Pretty ,much every employed persons life story at some point i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is there anything wrong or untrue in his comments?

I'd just wonder what they presage. Or what is their usefulness.

The amount of genuinely inveterate unemployed in this country is presumably quite small given the amount of people on the register during the boom years when work was actually available.

• Advertisement

SMEs aren't saying they will suffer. SMEs will suffer.

Self-employment.

The only people who are green with envy reading the posts about the American welfare system.:mad:

It's not all it's cut out to be.

You go bust you get no social welfare for a start.

It's not all it's cut out to be.

You go bust you get no social welfare for a start.
    You do actually, well you do if you have no other means, so that's fair enough.

That's all you get though.

anncoates wrote: »

The amount of genuinely inveterate unemployed in this country is presumably quite small given the amount of people on the register during the boom years when work was actually available.

It was 5%.
    But we seem to have created an entitled culture from the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

The whole get off the dole the lazy pricks argument is BS for one reason.

Before the recession, Ireland did NOT have a high level of unemployment. Ironically dole scroungers was one of the few thing Ireland didn't have a huge problem with.

Sweden is pretty much a welfare state. Our unemployment rate is higher than Sweden's. You know what that proves? Unemployment does not go up and down with how much welfare is it goes up and down with how many jobs there are.

Tired of these threads from right wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

222233 wrote: »
    Its not nice to live in ****ty accommodation, have to practically be dying to go to a doctor, walk to work in the p***** rain, do 40 hours a week, pay back your loans that got you your education to get a job and watch the person across the road packing the state funded family off for a holiday while sitting around watching tv every other day. Pretty ,much every employed persons life story at some point i guess!

Do you count drug addicts in that category and I am not trying to be confrontational here.

Depends on why that person became a drug addict, if it was due to family circumstances eg. growing up with parents doing drugs (out of their control), living in a certain area being influenced, then no the state is at fault, those children should have been monitored in schools moved at the appropriate age.

People who DECIDE one day as an adult to "try" something like heroin then yes I do count them, everyone knows its addictive, as an adult there is no excuse to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

Before the recession, Ireland did NOT have a high level of unemployment. Ironically dole scroungers was one of the few thing Ireland didn't have a huge problem with.

Sweden is pretty much a welfare state. Our unemployment rate is higher than Sweden's. You know what that proves? Unemployment does not go up and down with how much welfare is it goes up and down with how many jobs there are.

I think the percentage of people who don't want to work but can probably stays pretty static. I don't think its right wing to want those people to contribute to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

anncoates wrote: »

The register is only a part of it though. You can be fully welfare funded and not on it at all - some of which will be genuine, but some strategic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

mfceiling wrote:
    I have no problem with my taxes being paid to people who genuinely cannot work due to illness or disability or people who are down on their luck and are trying to get back into employment.

PeteFalk78 wrote:
    Able bodied and able minded people who are employable but choose to live their whole life on the dole are the scourge of this country.

These two quotes sum up my position on this subject perfectly. I know a few lifers on the dole, I don't know how they get away with it.

Speaking about these particular lads and not tarring everyone with the same brush, they somehow manage to afford to spend all day every day drifting between the bookies and the pub. I've been working since I was 17, I'd be counted as middle income and I couldn't afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah when SF and PBP get into power they'll create loads of jobs. Loads.

SMEs aren't saying they will suffer. SMEs will suffer.

Well they better implement a more professional approach for themselves than holding Irish workers down in a straight-jacket of a minimum wage scenario.

Or the use of taking on interns for free labour and they still complain. They want all of their employees to work for free for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It was 5%.

Minus those genuinely unable to work.

Hardly the inveterate unemployed legions of lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

every time Noonan pops his baldy head up I think of what he did to the McCole family :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Is there anything wrong or untrue in his comments?

Nothing wrong or untrue, I think we probably all know of at least one person who perfectly fits what he describes. But what was the point of referring to these people? He doesn't have a solution to the problem, as giving a 'guarantee' of a job for everyone in Ireland (and let's be clear: this is an attempt at buying an election, there is no reasonable programme for full employment) isn't going to work in this case. He hasn't told us how many of these people there are nor how he's going to make these people get back to work. Does it include homeless people? Does it include people who are not physically disabled, but have mental health issues?

I have a feeling that the issue of the constantly unemployed unemployables hasn't been tackled in the past because it is impossible to solve and even if it were solvable, it would cost far in excess than what we would save in social welfare benefits.

What's interesting is that in a speech that was largely about 'guaranteeing' jobs for everyone (just after the next election), what seems like a throwaway remark about the unemployables has been taken up to such an extent. I think Noonan was well aware that this would be the case. Far better for us to be discussing a problem that will never be resolved than looking at all the problems that we could be on the streets protesting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

First off. You cannot get rent allowance unless you either have been accepted for social housing... or have paid your own rent for six months.

You cannot just sign on the dole and automatically get rent allowance, you have to be elligible.
    What's any of that go to do with my post?

I specifically said what they could get.
    In response to your claim that all single people have to pay for their rent of out their social welfare benefits.

I don't agree with that kind of society either though. I'm not anti America and it's important to spread the message that people have to take responsibility for themselves, but not to the extent of there being virtually no supports for people who need a helping hand. There is terrible poverty in America, and a crazy socio-economic divide, which is a bit mad in a first world country.

I agree its extreme, and I felt sorry mainly for older people who continue to work so they can pay health insurance.
    But....one thing you can say is that those who work hard reap the reward in the States. I have worked hard all my life, have a degree and a masters, but sometimes feel very resentful that I am getting up at 6 am each day, getting 2 kids out the door to school then me to work for a full day...only to see teen mums pushing buggies (paid for by me ) containing babies (funded by me) who have never worked for a penny to pay anything.

And I know this for a FACT as one of them is my cousin...gets everything including medical card, back to school allowance, hasn't got off her arse to do a days work in her life as had her first kid at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This dosnt help the stats either
    A huge jump in disability – whether physical or emotional – might come if a country experienced a war or a natural catastrophe like Chernobyl. But nothing like this this has happened here, thankfully.

Yet, since 2006, there has been a 37.7pc increase in the number of people who have left the labour force citing a condition that substantially limits one or smore basic physical activities.

This is not people who have been unfortunate enough to be born with a disability, but people who have developed a disabling condition. This means 55,000 people – bigger than Waterford, the country’s fifth largest city. Between 2002 and 2006, the same figure only increased by 1pc which is less than 2,000 people.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2013/04/04/the-mystery-of-disability

What's any of that go to do with my post?

I specifically said what they could get.
    In response to your claim that all single people have to pay for their rent of out their social welfare benefits.

OK Ok, relax, I understand your point, but I was just making a clear point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If You think it's so great, Go quite your job go on the dole receive 188 pw and see how you get on. Any new's on them TD's that were going to live on the dole to prove how easy it is ?

No one gets a free house, No one gets anything other than the entitlements they qualify for. The largest part of the SW budget is Pensions not JSA. Lets have a show of hands who has not taken the child benefit. Or not taken a medical card if they qualify.

Advertisement