Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America : Civil War *spoilers from post 480*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was always going to be a highly pared back version of civil war otherwise it would be the centre piece of the entire franchise instead of Infinity War as opposed to a Captain America movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,360 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    You'd think after Marvel's 'Age of Ultron', which equated to a few hectic days, we'd take titles with a pinch of salt :D

The Age of Ultron was what Ultron was fighting for. After causing the extinction of humans, he said the only thing left would be metal, ie. him. The Avengers stopped the Age of Ultron from happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Penn wrote: »
    The Age of Ultron was what Ultron was fighting for. After causing the extinction of humans, he said the only thing left would be metal, ie. him. The Avengers stopped the Age of Ultron from happening.

Damn it, it sounds familiar now, I really paid no attention to that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

To be honest i think they went with civil war so that when inifinty war begins superheros are scattered and alone and it takes this war to unify them again as the avengers

CramCycle wrote: »
    Damn it, it sounds familiar now, I really paid no attention to that movie.

Well they mostly just went with 'Age of Ultron' because there was a recent enough storyline in the comics with that name, same way 'Civil War' & 'Ragnarok' are names of comic stories, even if they're changing most of the story/characters and just keeping the bare bones of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Well they mostly just went with 'Age of Ultron' because there was a recent enough storyline in the comics with that name

Possibly they just wanted to salvage that great title so it wouldn't go to waste on one of the worst comic series in recent years! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This looks like it could be really, really good. I pray they keep the stuff meant for the gag reel there instead of the film.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Russo Brothers Confirm Sokovia Accords are Their Superhuman Registration Act

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/25/cap-civil-war---russo-brothers-confirm-sokovia-accords-are-their/

its a really smart move when ya think about it.

no need at all to do a "set up" tragedy. just point to how the last few marvel films have ended and say "who the hells gonna do something about the people doing all this ?" .

there really has been an AWFULL lot of destruction across their set up films and sequels (new york three times that i can think of, Washington, that little town in thor 1 and london in 2, sokovia, even ant man resulted in something on an oklahoma bomber scale at the pym complex.) :D

so with that back drop already there they can go straight into the meat of the story on registration . personally i think its genius as its a nice nod to all thats come before and doesnt come off as a forced plot device.

with spidey coming in and antman having a secret identity too (IIRC) Theres your face of who the establishment side is gunning for and the set ups complete for what should be a fair film version of the comic.

worth remembering too that the ads for winter soldier did a good job at luring us in but not blowing the main plot so hopefully theres a fair amount of a feint going on .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

its a really smart move when ya think about it.

no need at all to do a "set up" tragedy. just point to how the last few marvel films have ended and say "who the hells gonna do something about the people doing all this ?" .

there really has been an AWFULL lot of destruction across their set up films and sequels (new york three times that i can think of, Washington, that little town in thor 1 and london in 2, sokovia, even ant man resulted in something on an oklahoma bomber scale at the pym complex.) :D

so with that back drop already there they can go straight into the meat of the story on registration . personally i think its genius as its a nice nod to all thats come before and doesnt come off as a forced plot device.

with spidey coming in and antman having a secret identity too (IIRC) Theres your face of who the establishment side is gunning for and the set ups complete for what should be a fair film version of the comic.

worth remembering too that the ads for winter soldier did a good job at luring us in but not blowing the main plot so hopefully theres a fair amount of a feint going on .

Agree with all this. In Agents of Shield
    , they also have a huge number of inhumans on the loose causing damage, which I see only getting worse in the run in to this. Another potential precursor is that the government has also started to get involved with dealing with gifted people.

thats a good point about "agents of shield".

and its not the first time elements from the TV show made it into the cinematic universe. wasnt there a minor tie in with the opening sequence of "age of ultron" ?

hell the fallout of winter soldier basically changed the whole TV show too.

what you suggested would deffo up the anti for civil war and with that group you mention getting their own movie too it'd make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

thats a good point about "agents of shield".

and its not the first time elements from the TV show made it into the cinematic universe. wasnt there a minor tie in with the opening sequence of "age of ultron" ?

hell the fallout of winter soldier basically changed the whole TV show too.

what you suggested would deffo up the anti for civil war and with that group you mention getting their own movie too it'd make sense.

It tied in at both the start and at the end of AOU, by them passing on info for the Hydra base that the Avengers attacked at the beginning and by providing their refurbished Helicarrier that Fury used in the final battle.

There’s also been crossover of some Hydra characters between movies and the show but I suspect Hydra wont feature in a significant capacity in the movies again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The fact is that Marvel are only using the Civil War title for name recognition to get fans excited. They're really only using the very basics of the premise: a disagreement between heroes. I think the sooner people get used to that the less disappointed they'll be.

I only read Civil War lately, but very much would agree with the above. After reading the comic and then knowing the licensing issues with certain characters, was well aware this would be just a vague premise.

Still the trailer looked good. Winter Solider was the first Marvel film I sat up and really got into. Really loved it and have watched it numerous times. Odd considering Captain America is probably one of the least interesting SuperHeros for me. I enjoyed avengers for what they were, was two great spectacles, but Winter Solider was really brilliant. Hopefully this goes in the same vain.

Have only recently started to dip into Marvel comics coming from a background of DC( not fanboi by any stretch)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Agree with all this. In Agents of Shield
    , they also have a huge number of inhumans on the loose causing damage, which I see only getting worse in the run in to this. Another potential precursor is that the government has also started to get involved with dealing with gifted people.

There's also the new Jessica Jones series. Kilgrave is the perfect example of why people need to be registered. It's so easy for a bad person to misuse their gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

1449265778-cap3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

These trailers are really starting to sell Civil War to me big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The Lego toys for Civil War have a big spoiler about one of the characters in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

McLoughlin wrote:
    The Lego toys for Civil War have a big spoiler about one of the characters in the film

Would it be spoilering to tell us which character? Yes or no will suffice I don't even know if I want to know even that.

i had a look and IMO yes it would.

personally i think itll look great on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Possible huge spoiler
    Apparently, its been stated all over the internet that Captain America dies at the end of the movie, although it hasnt been confirmed as such, but the source is usually correct

This wasnt expected tbh, although i havent read the Civil war comics, could anyone state the accuracy?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pone2012 wrote: »
    Possible huge spoiler
    Apparently, its been stated all over the internet that Captain America dies at the end of the movie, although it hasnt been confirmed as such, but the source is usually correct

This wasnt expected tbh, although i havent read the Civil war comics, could anyone state the accuracy?

It happens shortly after the end of the civil war arc in the comics if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Tefral

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It happens shortly after the end of the civil war arc in the comics if I remember correctly.
    Crossbones kills him in the Comics.

but

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would have thought he would be killed at the end of Part 1 of Infinity Wars - would seem like a more apt time to raise the stakes by killing a main member of the avengers. obviously it depends on where they go with the story in Civil War but I can't see the pay off in killing him at the end of his own movie, leaving it on a downer without leading in to a proper sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Star Wars spoiler:
    Worked for Star Wars ......

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haven't read what he said myself as I am trying to stay spoiler free.

James Gunn says Captain America: Civil War is 'one of the best Marvel movies ever'

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/02/captain-america-civil-war-james-gunn

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Gonna take James Gunn's praise of the movie with a grain of salt, for all we know it could've been a rough cut of the film he was shown..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Gonna take James Gunn's praise of the movie with a grain of salt, for all we know it could've been a rough cut of the film he was shown..

Ultimately, he won't bite the hand that feeds. CW has already been sold to me AFAIC but I'd be as wary of Gunn's comments as I would an Apple store employee trying to flog iPads and iPhones.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ultimately, he won't bite the hand that feeds. CW has already been sold to me AFAIC but I'd be as wary of Gunn's comments as I would an Apple store employee trying to flog iPads and iPhones.

I disagree. If he didn't like it he could have said nothing, or at least not gone that far. There would have been no need for him to say it's one of the best Marvel movie to date if that's not what he thought.

Plus, given how great CA:TWS was and it's the Russo's again, there's little reason to suggest the same level of quality hasn't been reached or exceeded.

I disagree. If he didn't like it he could have said nothing, or at least not gone that far. There would have been no need for him to say it's one of the best Marvel movie to date if that's not what he thought.

Would have looked quite bad if he'd said nothing. He could have been trying to be play the happy camper for his own ends. Then again, CW was awesome and with Russos back again, TWS is very likely to be of similar quality.
    Plus, given how great CA:TWS was and it's the Russo's again, there's little reason to suggest the same level of quality hasn't been reached or exceeded.

+1

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Would have looked quite bad if he'd said nothing. He could have been trying to be play the happy camper for his own ends. Then again, CW was awesome and with Russos back again, TWS is very likely to be of similar quality.

+1

You mean TWS was awesome and CW is likely to be of similar quality! :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    You mean TWS was awesome and CW is likely to be of similar quality! :pac::pac:

Yes. I mixed the two up!

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement