Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Election 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The electorate comprehensively rejected what was a really minor move away from FPTP. So its really banging your head off a wall to expect them to ever have a fair system even if the current system flies in the face of basic logic and is indefensible.

I do think the UKIP/SNP %/seat comparisons are an unfair thing to blame on FPTP though. The same can happen under any system in which one party specifically targets a small subset of seats whilst another party fields candidates in every constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

BoatMad wrote: »
    I think that they may well seek another referendum ( isn't that within the Scottish Assembly control ?) but its a very dangerous thing for the SNP to do, given the last result, a failure again , would remove the question for 100 years or more and do enormous damage to the SNP.

interresting to see how it all works out

No, the Scottish Parliament does not have the authority to stage a referendum (similar to Catalan).

See this post from the Independence thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95385007&postcount=3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The Greens are blown out (Bennett lost her seat?)
    Bennett didn't have a seat in the first place. Caroline Lucas successfully defended their only seat in Brighton Pavilion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

No, the Scottish Parliament does not have the authority to stage a referendum (similar to Catalan).

See this post from the Independence thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95385007&postcount=3

well yes and no. a very clever ploy would be for a overwhelmingly SNP Assembly to request permission to hold one only to be denied, !

I dont think the SNP will put Independence back on the agenda, unless there is a serious chance of Brexit. Given that DC actually wants to keep the UK in Europe, I dont see an exit happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is anyone watching Farrage? That bloke from MiB 4 scanning the hillsides.......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Seems like a redundant metaphor, with redundancy!

Yes, evidently. Hence we're still discussing the topic. Which is an argument by what stretch of the imagination?

Well pointing the finger solely at the Tories seems to fashionable this morning. Again, I did not hear these arguments when Labour were romping home to victory under Blair.

People naturally grasp at straws in a way to explain outcomes. If Labour were going to jump into bed with the SNP I wonder would there be the same argument made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The problem with the internet is how unblinkingly credulous a media it is.

Anyone who knows me would/should have realised I was joking.

Nobody here does know you though, and it's very, very easy - on the internet - to have a position of "ah I was only joking anyway".

Fair play to you.

Nige gone, but not gone. Or something.

well yes and no. a very clever ploy would be for a overwhelmingly SNP Assembly to request permission to hold one only to be denied, !

I dont think the SNP will put Independence back on the agenda, unless there is a serious chance of Brexit. Given that DC actually wants to keep the UK in Europe, I dont see an exit happening.

The SNP does not have the mandate to put Independence back on the agenda. That mandate can be sought in next years Scottish parliamentary election and if the SNP win a majority (in a PR election this time so much harder), a request for a legally binding referendum can be made to the Tory Government.

Nicola Sturgeon has been stating the above for months now

jank wrote: »
    Well pointing the finger solely at the Tories seems to fashionable this morning. Again, I did not hear these arguments when Labour were romping home to victory under Blair.
    I'm sorry, are we ruining your gloating pleasure?

As far as I know, no-one is proposing a system where PR is applied retrospectively if the Tories 'win', and FPTP if Labour does. Electoral reform all round. Not a complex concept, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

UKIP surely toast now. Their only elected candidate was really a Conservative anyway.

UKIP surely toast now. Their only elected candidate was really a Conservative anyway.

I bet he wishes he did not defect

Clegg gone. It'll be easy enough to find the next leader. Do they have any female MPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

You are not looking at the share of the vote. they are the third largest party by vote share.

They have actually done extremely well, and despite originally being seen as cannibalising Tory votes , actually took quite a lot of Labour votes

They are extremely well positioned to do well in the next election

Farage was a odd-head, I think the electorate just tired of him. UKIP will move mainstream and be the next English SNP is my view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Nigel and nick have resigned ed next up

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I thought the Tories were committed to holding a referendum on Europe? As you say, a vote to exit should suit the SNPs cause.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Farage & Clegg now resigned with Miliband soon to follow

Cameron has presided over some scalps yesterday

Farage didn't really resign though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

David Cameron's response to the news
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrKAr-8h1RM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

already starting to make big gains in the council elections that also took place yesterday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/results/councils

Oh! The trade unions on ITV are now interested in a change in the electoral system. Fancy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Oh! The trade unions on ITV are now interested in a change in the electoral system. Fancy that.

In the Labour party or the Country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Three clowns, IMO. Milliband, absolutely no charisma or even presence. Farage, just bile. Clegg, a turncoat, with no backbone, voters do not forget. British people were frightened of labour doing a deal with the SNP. Hence Tory boy gets another go.

In the Labour party or the Country ?

Country.

Ed resigning.

UKIP will move mainstream and be the next English SNP is my view
    Those roles are already filled. Heard of a little-known outfit called the Conservative Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

awec wrote: »
    Mental that there are three leaders probably out the job today.

I've got this strange feeling that all three won't be rushing down to their local dole office after lunch to claim the £54 their now entitled to.

Funny that. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Overall Majority official now. Looks like a Majority of 330 all told.

Great news in my opinion. Good for business and good for the Irish economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not if they hold that promised EU exit referendum, which would have a decent chance of passing.

Advertisement