Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

BG2.0 wrote: »
    That's 'nothing' according to a certain adult website I thought:rolleyes:,

That wasn't me, I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

Base price wrote: »
    I don't have to think about it. During the summer I asked a relative 26 yo guy (2nd cousin on my Mam's side) if he would be interested on going on the books for 2 to 3 days a week for a couple of months doing general farm work - cleaning sheds, tiding the yard, spraying weeds about the yard/lane with the knapsack, fixing fences, gates, a bit of painting, usual stuff etc.
    He said NO and didn't even bother to ask me how much per hour he would be getting. The worst part is that his grandparents were hard working people who reared and educated 6 children on 30 odd acres of marginal Cavan land.

Some of the local pubs in Longford/Cavan take your bet over the counter, record it in a book and then phone the bet into the bookie as there are no bookmaker nearby.
    why through the books if its only 2 or three days a week?
    if he went through the books the SW would take what he has earned over the summer and use it against him if he was applying for the grant for college.
    it happened a friend of mine they stoped the grant because it pushed the income leve of him and his parents over the treshold to claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

naughto wrote: »
    if he went through the books the SW would take what he has earned over the summer and use it against him if he was applying for the grant for college.
    it happened a friend of mine they stoped the grant because it pushed the income leve of him and his parents over the treshold to claim it.
    Because we (OH and I) have the responsibility of ensuring that our business (both separate and combined) are protected to the best of our abilities and that employees are registered in accordance with the law.
    We would be very remiss to our deceased parents/relatives if we were to jeporadise their bequests.
    I understand that a person actively seeking work (jobseeker) is entitled to work 19.5 hours per week whilst still claiming allowances - however I will stand corrected if that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I don't have to think about it. During the summer I asked a relative 26 yo guy (2nd cousin on my Mam's side) if he would be interested on going on the books for 2 to 3 days a week for a couple of months doing general farm work - cleaning sheds, tiding the yard, spraying weeds about the yard/lane with the knapsack, fixing fences, gates, a bit of painting, usual stuff etc.
    He said NO and didn't even bother to ask me how much per hour he would be getting. The worst part is that his grandparents were hard working people who reared and educated 6 children on 30 odd acres of marginal Cavan land.

Some of the local pubs in Longford/Cavan take your bet over the counter, record it in a book and then phone the bet into the bookie as there are no bookmaker nearby.

id well believe it. i offered the cousin cash work a few weeks ago and he said he was too busy with his kids. neither him or his missus work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

you would think he would be glad off the break from them for awhile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Muckit wrote: »
    Sure you wouldn't know who's right or wrong sometimes

Fact, you'd wonder sum days your having a proper sh!t day driving past the pub looking at the hoors having a few scoops every day who is the fool!

Fact, you'd wonder sum days your having a proper sh!t day driving past the pub looking at the hoors having a few scoops every day who is the fool!
    You, me and the rest of us TAX payers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I wouldn't envy that lifestyle one bit to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

While I agree with you, BP, I stopped getting myself worked up over it a few years ago. It's just not worth me becoming old and bitter about something I have no control over.

I just hope Karma looks kindly on me someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I wouldn't envy that lifestyle one bit to be honest.

Wouldn't be able for it either! :p

Went out Saturday nite, for the first time in a good while. Was a fairly late night and I wasn't worth a sh#te on Sunday.

• Advertisement

While I agree with you, BP, I stopped getting myself worked up over it a few years ago. It's just not worth me becoming old and bitter about something I have no control over.

I just hope Karma looks kindly on me someday.
    I agree with you but when one is flat out trying to make ends meet the sight of them in the pub really goes against the grain.
    Same as why my 87 yo mother paid €2350 for VHI cover this year and she has not seen the inside of a hospital in 18 years, other than visiting relatives/friends :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Same families at it during the boom as now. They won't change like their parents before them and their children after them will be the same. They get everything for nothing and are happy with it. Will work the minimum amount to ensure they have all their medical cards and allowances and most of them enjoy their life, have a decent car if needed, have plasma tv's in more than one room and have two foreign holidays a year. I see it every day with work but I wouldn't/couldn't live like that. Id be bored out of my mind to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I see Jonah Lomu died :(. What a legend of the game
    http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11547393

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I see Jonah Lomu died :(. What a legend of the game
    http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11547393

Legend is right. Everyone remembers him literally running across Mike Catt in the N.Z v England game. Simon Geoghan was the only man who brought him down in that World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

really busy yesterday and went to local for lunch at 2.10, 2 guys at the bar with their pints asked me whats the weather like out, I just said to myself who's the fool here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

stood on a 4 grain fork /sprong /grape what ever you want to call it this morning. Went right between my toes. Must have blown down in the wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

In town this morning and all the wasters out and about scratching their holes.
    You get rewarded for doing f-all in this banana republic,sure it's not my fault I'm not working its someone else's is the attitude,blame everyone else.
    Like in the news yesterday the ladies who couldn't get married because they hadn't given enough notice to the registrar 24hrs I think.
    Who did the pair of them blame for their fcuk up?
    The government that's who.
    The attitude in the country seems to me that unless the government spoon Feds ya and gets you a job at home that you like it's everyone else's fault you have no work and no one is helping you.
    Genuine people looking and trying to get any sort of employment not included in this rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I said wrote: »
    In town this morning and all the wasters out and about scratching their holes.
    You get rewarded for doing f-all in this banana republic,sure it's not my fault I'm not working its someone else's is the attitude,blame everyone else.
    Like in the news yesterday the ladies who couldn't get married because they hadn't given enough notice to the registrar 24hrs I think.
    Who did the pair of them blame for their fcuk up?
    The government that's who.
    The attitude in the country seems to me that unless the government spoon Feds ya and gets you a job at home that you like it's everyone else's fault you have no work and no one is helping you.
    Genuine people looking and trying to get any sort of employment not included in this rant.
    The world is the world! At least when the wasters blow their few bob of dole its in the local economy. Made round to go round!
    The billy big balls civil servants bankers professionals buying a new car every year that's built in Germany or Japan and taking 3 foreign holidays area are where the billions went.

Imported consumable goods imported. Money exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    .... Simon Geoghan was the only man who brought him down in that World Cup.

What? Did he trip over him.:p
    You wouldn't have a link to that, by any chance?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Live and let live. As someone said there's no point getting up in a heap about stuff that you've no control over and isn't going to change. You just have to change the way you look or deal with it.

At least the lads down the pub aren't out blowing the heads off lads for no reason. Let's not provoke them enough to find out if they could !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    really busy yesterday and went to local for lunch at 2.10, 2 guys at the bar with their pints asked me whats the weather like out, I just said to myself who's the fool here

I'm on the road a fair bit with work and one country pub in particular would have 8-10 regular daytime drinkers.. Same faces any day I drop in for food no matter if its 12, 2 or 4, they are stuck there.. Watching the horses and having a punt with their pint.. Most would run a tab until dole day..
    However, they have an "existence" rather than a life, I'd rather be knee deep in **** any day and have something to show for it..

I'm here to live - not just exist !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I remember Christy Moore one time saying how he regretted wasting so much of his life drinking.
    I suppose you could say the same about someone stuck behind a computer screen all day.:( Well at least I've a window to look out.:)

There's an idea for a new thread - Things to do before you die.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I remember Christy Moore one time saying how he regretted wasting so much of his life drinking.
    I suppose you could say the same about someone stuck behind a computer screen all day.:( Well at least I've a window to look out.:)

There's an idea for a new thread - Things to do before you die.

its hard being cooped up when youd rather be outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just got notification of the new IFA theftstop ID for farm equipment.

https://theftstop.ie/

Might be worth looking at if you're concerned about farm security and reducing your chances of stuff being stolen and being returned if stolen.

I just got notification of the new IFA theftstop ID for farm equipment.

https://theftstop.ie/

Might be worth looking at if you're concerned about farm security and reducing your chances of stuff being stolen and being returned if stolen.

that wont stop them being stolen. a deadman switch is the best method in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

What? Did he trip over him.:p
    You wouldn't have a link to that, by any chance?

i remember tat too but there is no clip of it online unfortunately, simon geoghegan was in my opinion Irelands best ever player but as he was in a really poor team he didnt get the recognition he deserved.

Six weeks ago Dad was full on for getting a new tractor (have a '93 Zetor since late '94 and it's seen way better days)
    I happened to be on about getting a mulcher next year to do a bit of tidy up in heavily rushed land that's had hedges cleared this year. Today he announced that he is going to get a quad and a mulcher!
    And they say women change their minds quickly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm on the road a fair bit with work and one country pub in particular would have 8-10 regular daytime drinkers.. Same faces any day I drop in for food no matter if its 12, 2 or 4, they are stuck there.. Watching the horses and having a punt with their pint.. Most would run a tab until dole day..
    However, they have an "existence" rather than a life, I'd rather be knee deep in **** any day and have something to show for it..

I'm here to live - not just exist !!

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes" (Oscar Wilde)
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Kovu wrote: »
    Six weeks ago Dad was full on for getting a new tractor (have a '93 Zetor since late '94 and it's seen way better days)
    I happened to be on about getting a mulcher next year to do a bit of tidy up in heavily rushed land that's had hedges cleared this year. Today he announced that he is going to get a quad and a mulcher!
    And they say women change their minds quickly! :D

What the hell did you do to the Zetor have a 96 one here as good as the day it came. 8k hours on it

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    What the hell did you do to the Zetor have a 96 one here as good as the day it came. 8k hours on it

Um.....Dad and I wouldn't be the best drivers in the world. The brother turned it over once too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement