Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kovu, did she calve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan2 wrote: »
    kovu, did she calve?

No..............the flagging blonde bitch is still the same :mad:
    It's impossible to know what she'll do as I can't guess with her bag cause if the swelling and she's half broke since midweek. Feck her anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just out of interest do any of ye measure tthe calf girth , shoulder height and birth weight of the calves.i seen it on icbf awhile ago and put 2 xalfs up onto it last night. I will do it in the future again as if everyone was to do it you could probably get indexes and stuff and the calving difficulty of the bull wouldn't depend as much on whether a cow was narrow etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lambs is stupids:mad:

I walked across the swamps to free a lamb caught in bushes since this morning and he runs off just as I reach him.

Is hates lambs sometimes:(

Lambs is stupids:mad:

I walked across the swamps to free a lamb caught in bushes since this morning and he runs off just as I reach him.

Is hates lambs sometimes:(
    best place for sheep is a lamb chop or a wooly jumper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/sheep-sector-value-up-4-5-this-year/

Makes a change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

thinking my lamb returns will be very welcome next year , to top up my milk cheque

orm0nd wrote: »
    thinking my lamb returns will be very welcome next year , to top up my milk cheque

they are grand if you are well set up for them.

They saved my ass a few times this year, just as the current account was beginning to groan, a few lambs gone kept her above water.

And I was hell bent on selling them this November until the cattle got locked up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

They saved my ass a few times this year, just as the current account was beginning to groan, a few lambs gone kept her above water.

And I was hell bent on selling them this November until the cattle got locked up:rolleyes:

expanded into sheep in the 1980's when tb/brucellosis ensured we we had a crap
    milk quota , following years quota was costly and unavailable

yes there were more bad years than good (pricewise) but at least you could cash them when needed

• Advertisement

expanded into sheep in the 1980's when tb/brucellosis ensured we we had a crap
    milk quota
    , following years quota was costly and unavailable

yes there were more bad years than good (pricewise) but at least you could cash them when needed
    Yeah, same here. I'm only now getting back to the numbers we had in 1980.

But there has been some education in that 35years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Yeah, same here. I'm only now getting back to the numbers we had in 1980.

But there has been some education in that 35years:)

im starting out with sheep. my idea is that they are cheaper to get into and they will leave me a few pound quicker.

Last weanling sold for this year and gone off tonight, buyer wants first refusal on a pb lm weanling next year too. How the feck will I price him?! Get all of ye to give a price and take the average? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Kovu wrote: »
    Last weanling sold for this year and gone off tonight, buyer wants first refusal on a pb lm weanling next year too. How the feck will I price him?! Get all of ye to give a price and take the average? :pac:

Let him know when you're putting him through the ring let him

ganmo wrote: »
    Let him know when you're putting him through the ring let him do the macarena

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

im starting out with sheep. my idea is that they are cheaper to get into and they will leave me a few pound quicker.
    Sheep, a great way of meeting the neighbours, as my father used to say:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

As a cousin of mine in plant hire always says when I ask him how he can price by the job and not the hour, Ask enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

See how he thrives and shapes up first. Next year is a long time away and anything can happen in the meantime.
    You could win the lotto and decide to buy in a pbr herd of super pbr Blondes :D

Base price wrote: »
    See how he thrives and shapes up first. Next year is a long time away and anything can happen in the meantime.
    You could win the lotto and decide to buy in a pbr herd of super pbr Blondes :D

I'd love to, but if they all carry as long as the blonde here, I'd have fun calving them :D

• Advertisement

I'd love to, but if they all carry as long as the blonde here, I'd have fun calving them :D
    As you know I used to breed them along with a cross bred commercial herd.
    In those days it was not unusual to see the odd one carrying over 290 days. I once had a cow carry 310 days to AI however she had no problems calving and spat the bull calf out.
    I really need to get up into the attic and dig out the old journals.

As you know I used to breed them along with a cross bred commercial herd.
    In those days it was not unusual to see the odd one carrying over 290 days. I once had a cow carry 310 days to AI however she had no problems calving and spat the bull calf out.
    I really need to get up into the attic and dig out the old journals.

Odd-Ear was due Oct 30th and I think she'll carry another couple of days. She's really quietened down though, she'll happily stand to be scratched all over. Had a dream last night she had a big golden coloured bull, can't even sleep without worrying about her now!! :pac:
    That guy that bought the weanlings off us took a real fancy to her in the calving pen too, told me a price he'd give for her that I won't forget in a hurry!

Odd-Ear was due Oct 30th and I think she'll carry another couple of days. She's really quietened down though, she'll happily stand to be scratched all over. Had a dream last night she had a big golden coloured bull, can't even sleep without worrying about her now!! :pac:
    That guy that bought the weanlings off us took a real fancy to her in the calving pen too, told me a price he'd give for her that I won't forget in a hurry!
    Hopefully she will have a live healthy calf.
    If you are happy with the price that the lad offered then sell her now. In my experience there is no point crying over split milk, as long as you are happy selling her at that price.
    If he makes a few quid on her than best of luck to him.

Hopefully she will have a live healthy calf.
    If you are happy with the price that the lad offered then sell her now. In my experience there is no point crying over split milk, as long as you are happy selling her at that price.
    If he makes a few quid on her than best of luck to him.

Nooooooooooo, she's not for sale. Just asked him what he'd give for her out of interest- he was in the mart today so could give an up to date price.
    Hope she calves a live calf as well, she's a tall growthy 29 month old so touch wood she'll be grand! She never noticed my hair earlier though, the fecker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Did he offer you 3k?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Did he offer you 3k?

Ha, she'd have gone off with the blue heifer if he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Neighbour here last night. He great man for telling bits that went on or were said years ago. And of course they completely true......sometimes.
    Last night he saying about two lads talking outside the chapel one morning after mass. One of them (who'd have had a reputation as being a 'bit useless that only out for himself'). He was saying that after listening to that sermon about Mary it made me think how much she was like my own mother.
    Other guy says 'ya, she may have been, but there was a big difference in the lads they reared' :D

Spent the morning getting everything fixed that broke over the weekend, door of cubicle shed fell off last night, switch was gone on compressor for feeders, valve on scraper motor gone, gate at back of milking parlour broke and digger wouldnt start. That was on top of cow dying with tetany. Was 4 lads here at one stage this morning-including ai man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Spent the morning getting everything fixed that broke over the weekend, door of cubicle shed fell off last night, switch was gone on compressor for feeders, valve on scraper motor gone, gate at back of milking parlour broke and digger wouldnt start. That was on top of cow dying with tetany. Was 4 lads here at one stage this morning-including ai man:)

Jesus Whelan....how many mirrors have you broken lately??? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Whelan doesn't break mirrors, only phones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement