Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options
1150151152153154156»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ryanair could run them out without much issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭TheBetsy

Might it be Dusseldorf with Aer Lingus you are thinking of? That route was canned in 2018 I think so even pre Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It could well be Dusseldorf: I had Dusseldorf in my mind at first but never took that flight. Edit: I think that was Aer Lingus / IAG regional

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I never recall Cork-Berlin. I do recall the Cork -Düsseldorf with Aer Lingus though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Kerry has Frankfurt twice a week. Can't understand how Cork couldn't pull similar numbers.

Flight prices have soared this year, Malaga in May this year are over double than what they were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The line I have always heard is that there is a German company in the vicinity, and there's sufficient demand from them to warrant the route. Could well by an urban myth by now! Not sure how realistic it is for Ryanair to pin the viability of one route on one type of customer from a single company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

That's Frankfurt Hahn, not Frankfurt Main. And while the Hahn-Kerry Route is primarily aimed at German tourists heading to Ireland (that's how I fell in love with Ireland back in 2008), I wouldn't be surprised if there's a business angle. I was surprised at the amount of suits and ties I saw at Hahn when I flew to Kerry, a marked difference to the other flights leaving from Hahn at that time.

Also, while summer only, there is a connection between Cork and the REAL Frankfurt Airport. 3x weekly with Lufthansa, mostly using a CRJ-900, though I've seen them sub in the occasional A319. That's 270 seats per week from Cork in each direction, compared to 378 from Kerry. Not too shabby. The challenge is going to be to convince LH to go year round.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Aer Lingus had a Berlin route for about a couple of years in the mid 00s. I used it a few times. Also used the Ryanair Shannon to Berlin, when it was there. Ryanair then moved it to Kerry, but it's not been back since covid. If it was I'd use it. Aer lingus did Dusseldorf briefly. Going even further back, Aer lingus used to have a Cork-Dublin-Frankfurt flight.

Once a week to any city isn't going to attract short breaks, especially somewhere like Germany.

Am getting seriously tired of Ryanair putting on services late at night. Up to last month, Manchester arrived mid day or thereabouts. I've a young one going to a concert there next month and flight is now 9pm. Meaning an extra night over there, or Dublin. Dublin it is unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah, a lot of things now seem to be late night. Early morning leaving I can hack, but I hate late night flights as delays are proportionally much more awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Never, ever, underestimate the power of Kerrygold and it's advertising of Kerry. The Germans love Kerrygold and flock to Kerry. It's funny really but it's true!

I recall years back we had a German exchange in school, loads of them came over and were fascinated that just on the other side of the Shannon River there was Kerry. First thing they all said was "THAT'S WHERE KERRYGOLD COMES FROM".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Kerry lost the Berlin flight as Germany closed Schoenfeld leaving Ryanair having to use Brandenberg at significant higher airport charges. So Ryanair moved its based aircraft elsewhere and now only service Berlin with overseas aircraft.

You won’t see Ryanair doing Berlin out of cork Shannon Kerry or knock. It will be a Dub based aircraft that will pop in and out like their Amsterdam service. And they will get the fares on this limited service due to demand for the limited seats…..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Irish traditional music and Irish whisky are both very, very big in Germany, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Also, I hate paying for a full night's hotel accommodation for a hotel you only arrive in at 3am....much of the next day is compromised too as you're knackered from the unsociable hours travelling and sleep deprivation. Tolerable if you're going for a week maybe but for 3 day city breaks, it's a deal breaker to instead just fly from elsewhere or not at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Looking to go to Liverpool June 12th to 14th (Wed-Fri). €30 from Dublin, €200 from Cork. Thankfully Manchester is only €90 so I'll just get the train

For you frequent flyers. A question.

Catching an Aer Lingus to Amsterdam at 6am. What time does check in bags open at? Have looked everywhere, can't find info. Is the Aspire any good at 5am before departure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

When I fly via Amsterdam, I'm usually at the airport at 4.15 to 4.30 AM, mainly because I'm paranoid about missing my flights. Even at this time, the counters are usually manned and operating, both for KLM and Aer Lingus. Can't say much about the Aspire Lounge at that time, as I've never used it that early. It does open at 5 AM though, so it should just be business as usual.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

We used Aspire back in December before the early Aer Lingus (the KLM was cancelled so we booked Aer Lingus and the fare included access). It was very quiet. Just three customers. The food options were ok but even at that early time I felt the "fry" ingredients were a bit dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Frankfurt Hahn, I've done that flight twice. Its the equivalent of wanting to go to Cork and landing in dublin its so far from Frankfurt. 2.5 hours on a bus, nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

agreed no good for business travel to Frankfurt.

But for holidays it’s really worth exploring, especially at Ryanair prices.

Great for the Rhein gorge, wandering down through the towns of Mainz, Heidelberg,, baden-baden etc. Beautiful area if you like German beers, castles, hiking, forests, Kaffee und Kuchen, old Roman baths…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aspire is alright…. food options acceptable but nothing out of the ordinary. I wouldn't pay to go into it, but you'll get a small fry, some yogurts and some cereal if you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Used the Click&Collect service for The Loop with a confirmed time to pick up the duty free after arriving back in Cork.

All orders are now collected through the OCS assistance desk, with the welcome desk permanently shut. Seems to have been fully contracted out now.

Waited 25 min at the desk after calling on the courtesy phone with no one coming so left it and emailed for a refund.

What a shame. Meant to be convenient but its anything but.

No welcome desk at all in arrivals or departures is an even bigger shame. OCS desk shoved into the corner by the oversize baggage counter. Cost cutting at the expense of the passenger experience, shame for a growing airport.

Flights with TUI to Corfu announced to start May 9th 2025. Booking open already

Have you a link to the booking ? It doesn't seem to be on the system yet?

I don’t, the Echo article said that but they might be wrong

No bother, I thought you were in the know!

Nothing showing up on TUI flights yet anyway, but thanks for the early tip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm only back from Berlin and would love to see more of Germany, that's a great suggestion. Flight from Kerry too

Advertisement