Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jayop wrote: »
    Not really addressing the point at how much harder it is to come though Ulster though is it which is a real bone of contention.

Realistically the provincials wont be scrapped or made stand a lone though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

K-9 wrote: »
    Realistically the provincials wont be scrapped or made stand a lone though.

Exactly. People can propose all the fanciful formats they want but political realities will stand in the way of most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    what worries me is how Fermanagh celebrated not getting hammered by the dubs! hate to see something like this as late as a AI quarter final

A young Fermanagh team celebrating a decent performance in a rare Championship trip to HQ? Dry yer eyes.

If it's any consolation I saw the despondent looks when beaten by Armagh in the Div3 final a few months back. That would have warmed your cockles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A young Fermanagh team celebrating a decent performance in a rare Championship trip to HQ? Dry yer eyes.

If it's any consolation I saw the despondent looks when beaten by Armagh in the Div3 final a few months back. That would have warmed your cockles.

Sean Quigley was just on newstalk getting interviewed about Sunday and he was an absolute breath of fresh air. He replied to that criticism about them laughing and joking after the game and said that if you can't enjoy a big game in Croker against the Dubs at the end of a fantastic season which included promotion you probably shouldn't be playing the game.

True, they've Division 2 football to look forward to which should be a good base to try and make an impact in Ulster next year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

He was really funny chatting about the 'goal'. Says he didn't even see what happened to Cluxton as he was running the other way at the time.

Must listen to the podcast later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sean Quigley was just on newstalk getting interviewed about Sunday and he was an absolute breath of fresh air. He replied to that criticism about them laughing and joking after the game and said that if you can't enjoy a big game in Croker against the Dubs at the end of a fantastic season which included promotion you probably shouldn't be playing the game.

Loved his reaction on the day,real cheeky chappy sort of reaction.Definitely knew he'd got away with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

WRT to Ulster teams being at a disadvantage because they are worn out after a hard provincial campaign isn't really supported by the facts. If you look back at Armagh and Tyrones all irelands they actually came after tough campaigns including alot of replays. However in other years when Tyrone and Armagh coasted through Ulster they got caught at the qf stage. Also Donegals recent all ireland from the preliminary round.

harpsman wrote: »
    WRT to Ulster teams being at a disadvantage because they are worn out after a hard provincial campaign isn't really supported by the facts. If you look back at Armagh and Tyrones all irelands they actually came after tough campaigns including alot of replays. However in other years when Tyrone and Armagh coasted through Ulster they got caught at the qf stage. Also Donegals recent all ireland from the preliminary round.

Ask any of the 3 managers from Ulster still in the AI would they have preferred Kerry's, Dublin's or Mayo's route though and they'd snap your arm off for it.

Kerry and Dublin are in semi finals without having had to play anyone of note.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Assuming they came though in place of Kildare this year they would have had to play Kerry in the semi final and Kerry would have whopped them.

you've been watching too many conor mcgregor promo videos sir,

if Dublin played in Ulster they wouldn't be as quick to get to semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hit the nail on the head there,re him been a breath of fresh air,the story he told on "Thank GAA Its Friday" was gas

The night before a game against Laois he couldnt sleep so he ordered a pizza at 2am,he scored 2-8 in the game

"Havent had a pizza like it since" :D

you've been watching too many conor mcgregor promo videos sir,

if Dublin played in Ulster they wouldn't be as quick to get to semi final

Not though the front door anyway, but they would still have the quality to get to at least a 1/4 every year though the back door.

Ask any of the 3 managers from Ulster still in the AI would they have preferred Kerry's, Dublin's or Mayo's route though and they'd snap your arm off for it.

Monaghan had an easy route, sure Donegal are finished.

Monaghan had an easy route, sure Donegal are finished.

I'm sure I didn't say that. Some others did, but not me.

My dream this year is a Donegal v Tyrone AI final and for us to absolutely batter ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'm sure I didn't say that. Some others did, but not me.

My dream this year is a Donegal v Tyrone AI final and for us to absolutely batter ye.

^^ These are the dreams of the everyday Ulster also rans. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

I agree but Im just saying Ulster teams have a better record after a tough campaign than after an easier one. Is GAA the only sport where playing 4 toughish games over 10 weeks is considered a disadvantage. When you think about it it should be the perfect preparation for a qf/sf rather than 2 or 3 cakewalks where you learn nothing.

harpsman wrote: »
    I agree but Im just saying Ulster teams have a better record after a tough campaign than after an easier one. Is GAA the only sport where playing 4 toughish games over 10 weeks is considered a disadvantage. When you think about it it should be the perfect preparation for a qf/sf rather than 2 or 3 cakewalks where you learn nothing.

I honestly think the season Tyrone has had is just about perfect in terms of preperation for the Monaghan game. A really tough game against Donegal where we showed we weren't too far away from the level of a top 4 side, then a handy run in the qualifiers to try out things without having to really go into top gear.

If Monaghan win on Saturday I'll not be using Ulster or the 4 games since as an excuse.

If Donegal lose though you could be entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>

If Donegal lose though you could be entitled to.
    donegal cant use anything as an excuse.

They did shag all in the Ulster final at all at all, and last weekend they farted about for most of the game and just had a burst of 10 to 15 minutes when they actually exerted themselves.

Donegal should have plenty in the tank physically, but its in the head where you'd think their main problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Exactly. All around me the ire for him and Fermanagh from some of "The Dubs" was laughable. sometimes I hate my fellow county men. Though my Dublin blood is tainted with that of Ernemen and women so that may be why i am so soft on it all.
    True, they've Division 2 football to look forward to which should be a good base to try and make an impact in Ulster next year.

They really couldn't have a more perfect coach in their development stage. Really looking forward to their league next year. That will be a good measure.

As always, the highlight of the early summer is the Ulster Championships so hopefully a trip to Clones is in the offing.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Loved his reaction on the day,real cheeky chappy sort of reaction.Definitely knew he'd got away with one.

I laughed with him. Can't blame the player. The referee on the otherhand...

A close second of a Tyrone v Dublin final. 20 years out. It'll shut down the county for a month if ye won. I won't be in college for a week after. Though a week in Coalisland and Dungannon might be too much for any man.

They did shag all in the Ulster final at all at all, and last weekend they farted about for most of the game and just had a burst of 10 to 15 minutes when they actually exerted themselves.

Donegal should have plenty in the tank physically, but its in the head where you'd think their main problem is.

There was some really good performances on Saturday to be happy about. When McFadden plays well ye play well. Second half was top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

timmyntc wrote: »

Also all this is without considering the tensions and bad feelings a Dublin split could incite, imo a north/south split could lead to violence and attacks say if someone wore a particular jersey through a particular estate etc.

Jaysus you're right now that I think of it, that must be why you never see a fingal jersey past the M50

:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:

He did I'd say his face will be in the intro for the Sunday game next year. His engagement with the hill was great and he topped it off with a great game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bambi wrote: »
    Jaysus you're right now that I think of it, that must be why you never see a fingal jersey past the M50

:D

Coming from the land of The Berliner we know what partition is !!

They've played 4 games in Ulster against two of the last 6 teams left in the championship, a quarter final against Galway and 2 other games against tough Ulster opposition.

Lets face it, Mayo have played Galway about 2 months ago and a training session against Sligo. They will be much much fresher and will have been able to prepare for Donegal ever since it Donegal were drawn with Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Lets face it, Mayo have played Galway about 2 months ago and a training session against Sligo. They will be much much fresher and will have been able to prepare for Donegal ever since it Donegal were drawn with Galway.

Although whenever the Dubs lose, the fact they don't meet serious opposition until the semi is always trotted out as a reason.

Although whenever the Dubs lose, the fact they don't meet serious opposition until the semi is always trotted out as a reason.

Yeah and it's also a valid reason.

I said a few posts back that if you could possibly hand pick a route to the quarters it would be like the one Tyrone have had. A really thought game against a top 4 side and then progressively harder games through the qualifiers without really having anyone that would trouble you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

You have to feel this is the time for Monaghan to step up. Tyrone is the perfect draw for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

You have to feel this is the time for Monaghan to step up. Tyrone is the perfect draw for them.

Last time you felt Monaghan were a bit too content with an Ulster champ, now you'd hope they can push on as they're a top class team. Tyrone are wiley old dogs though, I'd say there'll be nothing in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Last time you felt Monaghan were a bit too content with an Ulster champ, now you'd hope they can push on as they're a top class team. Tyrone are wiley old dogs though, I'd say there'll be nothing in it.

Yeah it´ll be tight alright. I really hope Monaghan do it. It would be great to see them get to the semis at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm sure it's been discussed before but is there a reason why Donegal v Mayo throws in at 6pm on Saturday?

It means people won't leave Croke Park until 8pm and some will face long journeys to Gweedore and Inishowen.

Advertisement