Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Just back and i must say, in a perverse way i enjoyed that. A game that promised to be, and largely was, a non event got plenty around me rather worked up. Great credit to Fermanagh for that. Beats teams rolling over in the Leinster championship any day.

Dublin were average. Too many of them very average. Won't please a management team who have been preaching, and to be fair getting, a consistency to good performances.

BTW i've never seen a referee apply the rules in the tackle so differently to each team. Dublin were basically limited to non contact while dragging, pushing, and everything else was fair game for Fermanagh defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

P_Cash wrote: »
    The last few years and again this year i find myself waiting for 3 games.

Two semis and the final.

We need a league format badly, or something.

Even the qtr finals are a joke.

While I.agree that realistically it's down to the semis to provide truely competitive, top level games I can't see a league structure changing that. Simply at this stage there are 4 top level teams (Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and Mayo - which coincidentally provide s challenger from each province) - Monaghan are dark horses outsiders this year, and 10 years ago Tyrone occupied Donegals position and may come good yet.

But for the most part it's the gulf between these 4 and the others that means it'll come down to the semis most years. Even allowing for 6 teams at that level only adds 1 extra competitive game.

BUT it removes a lot of local rivalries that exist within the provincial system. Westmeath's win over Meath this year was one of this year's highlights. Louth, Fermanagh, Sligo or Tipp are unlikely to win an All Ireland but they'd all treasure beating their neighbours. Local rival matches (and shorter travel distances for supporters) are one of the big pluses to the provincial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Patser wrote: »
    While I.agree that realistically it's down to the semis to provide truely competitive, top level games I can't see a league structure changing that. Simply at this stage there are 4 top level teams (Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and Mayo - which coincidentally provide s challenger from each province) - Monaghan are dark horses outsiders this year, and 10 years ago Tyrone occupied Donegals position and may come good yet.

But for the most part it's the gulf between these 4 and the others that means it'll come down to the semis most years. Even allowing for 6 teams at that level only adds 1 extra competitive game.

BUT it removes a lot of local rivalries that exist within the provincial system. Westmeath's win over Meath this year was one of this year's highlights. Louth, Fermanagh, Sligo or Tipp are unlikely to win an All Ireland but they'd all treasure beating their neighbours. Local rival matches (and shorter travel distances for supporters) are one of the big pluses to the provincial system.

Do u not favor a system where perhaps a home and anyway game, , basically play the same team more than once

Actually, scrap what I'm saying.

First thing id do is sort out the refereeing, get it more balanced and consistent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Patser wrote: »

But in a league based system these teams would play each other reasonably regularly and that would provide the better games earlier in the championship season.

In the league this year there was at least 1 game per week between the top 5 or 6 teams.Imagine a championship with that to look forward to.

The best championship system in my opinion is a league combined with playoffs at the end (like in all the American sports) as it rewards both consistency and the ability to peak for the big occassion.

Thats what the GAA should be looking to do.

The fear of splitting the intercounty championship into divisions is daft as well.

Every club championship is split into divisions and that works well so why people are afraid of doing it in inter county football I'm not sure.If you argued against having divisions in club championships you'd be told it was unfair to expect teams to play against vastly superior opposition.

Local rivalries would exist in the league based system as well.2 of Offaly's 3 biggest rivals are in the same division as us in the league next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How many games in a row have Dublin now played in Croke Park? Huge advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

May have the blue tinted shades on so honest opinions of the referring performance today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

Do u not favor a system where perhaps a home and anyway game, , basically play the same team more than once

Would it be open draw?
    Would it involve a 2nd chance?

Just thinking if Dublin drew Kerry, would it be one of them gone.

I'd thought prevalent idea was Champions league style. Groups of 4, with top 2 through, would realistically only allow 1 game vs each (ie home or away, not 2 leg) as even that format is only reducing 32 to 16 before Quarters. So time is an issue. Guarantees 3 games a team each year but reduces likelihood of local derbies and you'll probably still end up with hammerings.

And as I said with 4 currently dominant teams, even reducing to 16 makes uneven Quarter finals ( like we had today) in no way less likely

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Jayop wrote: »
    Sick of beating us? They've beat us once in the last four meetings in the championship and we're lucky to get a draw in the league this year.

They essentially relegated us this year and hammered us in last year's league. Beat us in the league the year in 2013 as well - albeit Tyrone had already qualified for the league semi-final. But all I meant really is that the Tyrone vs Kerry rivalry won't count for anything whatsoever in a potential semi-final - it's not as if Kerry are spooked by the current Tyrone side.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    How many games in a row have Dublin now played in Croke Park? Huge advantage

More of it.

Yesterday's 2 games would have been more entertaining maybe with a full house over west.

Echos in croker , yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Actually, scrap what I'm saying.

First thing id do is sort out the refereeing, get it more balanced and consistent

Refs don't cause teams to be hammered by 20 points as the likes of Kildare and Sligo have been in recent weeks along with a a few more getting a right hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

aveytare wrote: »
    They essentially relegated us this year and hammered us in last year's league. Beat us in the league the year in 2013 as well - albeit Tyrone had already qualified for the league semi-final. But all I meant really is that the Tyrone vs Kerry rivalry won't count for anything whatsoever in a potential semi-final - it's not as if Kerry are spooked by the current Tyrone side.

The league is meaningless. If we get there we'll worry them more than any other Ulster county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭munster87

STB. wrote: »
    Leinster titles 11
    All-Irelands 2
    [URL="javascript:void(0)"]NFL[/URL] 3
    All Stars 5

Some man alright.

2 All Ireland's down my way would mean he's well open for criticism :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jayop wrote: »
    The league is meaningless. If we get there we'll worry them more than any other Ulster county.

I don't think we would tbh. Donegal and monaghan are both stronger than us and would probably put it up to kerry more than tyrone.

I'd love the glory days of the mid 2000's to be back again but unfortunately we are a shadow of those great teams.

The current kerry team would hold no trepidation of meeting this tyrone team in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Fermanagh kicked 4 or 5 scoreable wides in the first 10-15 mins or so.
    Could have been closer, and of course Fermanagh won the 2nd half.

A better team would have punished them today, although admittedly Dublin got the job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

May have the blue tinted shades on so honest opinions of the referring performance today?

Nah don't worry about the glasses, I think the term is we were rode rotten :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The huge financial disparity between counties and now county teams is now becoming evident.

Time to level the playing field, so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The huge financial disparity between counties and now county teams is now becoming evident.

Time to level the playing field, so to speak

What financial advantage does Kerry have? Everything we have is based on fundraising and gates receipts.

We get f all off other means unlike Cork and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

6 teams left now and all 6 are Division 1 teams - this year Division 1 teams have played 31 games in the championship and there have only 2 been games where a team from outside Division 1 have managed a win in these games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Nah don't worry about the glasses, I think the term is we were rode rotten :D

I heard free count was 25-3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Anyone have a link to an up to date list of championship top scorers after today's games?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

km79 wrote: »
    based on the 2 tier system of div 1\2 and div 3\4 Fermanagh would not have qualified for tier 1 until next year so would not have been there today
    Kildare still would have
    food for thought.....

Sure Fermanagh would be promoted? Why would they wait a year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

naughtb4 wrote: »

Wow seriously was it that bad ... there became an inevitably every time the ball was taken into contact ..It was probably the biggest charity gig since Live aid ;)

Wow. Seriously?

Sad thing was i thought Dublin were excellent in the tackle today. Very obvious they've been working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corny wrote: »
    Wow. Seriously?

Sad thing was i thought Dublin were excellent in the tackle today. Very obvious they've been working on it.

I read it on res dubs, can't confirm it.

I don't remember us getting a free first half

4 according to indo 12 to 1 in the first half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

K-9 wrote: »
    Sure Fermanagh would be promoted? Why would they wait a year.

I would assume they want need time to organise fixtures so it would be based on the division the team was in that years
    that's the way i understood it to operate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

munster87 wrote: »
    2 All Ireland's down my way would mean he's well open for criticism :p

Oh yeah ? Kealy must be a huge disappointment so.

Up this way Clux is a legend.

• Advertisement

I read it on res dubs, can't confirm it.

I don't remember us getting a free first half

No. I think the first time Rock had a shot was a 45 just after HT.

Advertisement