Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! History HL 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Guys is haughey worth doing think he will come up ?
    Have done:
    For dictatorship
    -hitler+Mussolini
    -small bit on russia
    For Us
    -civil rights+ boycott
    -economic boom+decline
    Irish
    -UN + EEC
    -first programme for economic expansion +rte
    Documents
    -treaty
    -congress

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bryanbryan2

Asking for notes for far too broad & general
    What sections have you covered & I could outline a few essays for you

Recommend

All Anglo Irish relations 49-89
    Haughey
    RTE / Vatican
    Lemass
    Main politican scandals 73-89

This could he the first year a full question cones up for
    1. 1st inter party government - Avoid

Or

2. National Coalition - very doable essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Would 4.5 A4 pages be appropriate length for an essay in an exam situation? I feel that in 40 minutes I would be pushing myself to get over 5 pages written!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Troxck wrote: »
    Would 4.5 A4 pages be appropriate length for an essay in an exam situation? I feel that in 40 minutes I would be pushing myself to get over 5 pages written!

I wrote ~4pages for each in the mocks and got 80. My teacher always says 5 pages or around there (depending on hand writing) is an A1 standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Kremin wrote: »
    I wrote ~4pages for each in the mocks and got 80. My teacher always says 5 pages or around there (depending on hand writing) is an A1 standard.

Something really fecked about time taking A students down a grade imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Something really fecked about time taking A students down a grade imo.

If they raised the time for each essay to say, an hour per question.. the standard would just rise to 6 pages or even 7.... nothing would really change...

If you have a serious writing disability you can get either a scribe or type the exam... thats what 2 people in my year have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

If they raised the time for each essay to say, an hour per question.. the standard would just rise to 6 pages or even 7.... nothing would really change...

If you have a serious writing disability you can get either a scribe or type the exam... thats what 2 people in my year have done.

That's got more to do with either examiners or students pushing to maintain the problem. If the SEC and teachers made it clear that no more than five was necessary then the problem would go away and it would be a fairer exam.

You don't need to have a serious writing disability to near break your wrist during the history exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Does anyone know what to study for Irish history 1870-1914?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

there is not a hope in hell i could write 4 pages per question due to my bad handwriting hoping to do 3 and get a B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

I really need help...
    I have an A/B standard essay done on Stalin and his show trials. It includes terror, the purges etc.
    But I am worried about how the Q may come up? Can I use this essay for anything on Stalin?
    Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aaronj2011

lexijade wrote: »
    I really need help...
    I have an A/B standard essay done on Stalin and his show trials. It includes terror, the purges etc.
    But I am worried about how the Q may come up? Can I use this essay for anything on Stalin?
    Please help

I have something similar prepared for Stalin. Try and learn about his economic policies and then you could write about pretty much anything Stalin related, but regardless, you could find a way to put most of that into any Stalin essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 allenmac

what's likely to come up for european retreat from empire and the aftermath? (katanga, british withdrawal from india, race relations in britain and france are the case studies)

any1 else binge watching reeling in the years hoping something will stick ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spottyapples

Lads I'm truly f***ed for history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Lads I'm truly f***ed for history.

Same, my biggest regret has been keeping it on. I tell every 3rd Year/TY to not keep the subject on, for their own sanity.

European retreat from empire - very few do that topic
    Questions for that section seem to be inter-linked, comparing one withdrawal to another or one crisis to another
    Need to have good understanding of that topic to answer it well:

Everyone stop worrying or focusing on length of essays
    These vary depending on hand writing style, words per line etc link of facts and how accurate one assesses the question
    If you cover 4 pages in general with 7/8 clear coherent paragraphs you will do very well
    40% of marks awarded for your ability to answer the question asked - do that at all stages of the essay regardless of content & you have to be awarded decent marks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frie

Haha, just looking through my history copy now, so far since the start of fifth year to now, I have used 22 A4 pages in total (not including SRS) handiest subject ever to do in my opinion, should get at worst a C :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pugsforbubbles

IM DOING ORDINARY LEVEL TOMORROW.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH PREDICTIONS IM FREAKING OUT.

D&D
    NI
    USA

(Also my project is higher level does that mean I don't have the choice to move down?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My teacher always says 5 pages or around there (depending on hand writing) is an A1 standard.
    Depending also on content quality ofc. ;)

5 pages of irrelevant waffle will score lower than 2.5 pages of concise clear material that answers the question and nails it.

Quality is always more important than quantity beyond a certain minimum (no matter how good a 1 page essay is, there probably just isn't enough content there to merit a really high grade), so don't obsess about length, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iesdraob

Just hoping for some clarification cause my history teacher isn't the best and I haven't a clue about the layout of the exam.

Later Modern.

In 2013 it says do TWO essays from TWO topics in Ireland
    And then ONE essay from TWO topics in Europe and Wider World

But in 2014 it says do ONE essay from one essay in Ireland
    Then do TWO essays from TWO Topics in Europe and Wider World.

Can someone explain to me why it changes?

iesdraob wrote: »
    Just hoping for some clarification cause my history teacher isn't the best and I haven't a clue about the layout of the exam.

Later Modern.

In 2013 it says do TWO essays from TWO topics in Ireland
    And then ONE essay from TWO topics in Europe and Wider World

But in 2014 it says do ONE essay from one essay in Ireland
    Then do TWO essays from TWO Topics in Europe and Wider World.

Can someone explain to me why it changes?
    its because the document based question this years is based on an Irish topic which means you only have to answer one irish topic based essay while you have to answer two european and the wider world essays

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

So what are the predictions guys? Talking about the document, Ireland up to 1914, US, and Europe with Hitler/Stalin?

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    So what are the predictions guys? Talking about the document, Ireland up to 1914, US, and Europe with Hitler/Stalin?

i predict the anglo irish treaty negotiations
    Ireland the EEC/UN (I know you said until 1914 but its the irish topic im doing)
    Hitlers foreign policy and how it led to ww2
    Korea/Berlin/SALT and cuba :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iesdraob

its because the document based question this years is based on an Irish topic which means you only have to answer one irish topic based essay while you have to answer two european and the wider world essays

Thank you so much for the reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Let's hope for Hitler policies and WW2 cause, Plain Economy (no fancy consensus or whatever that word was in the DEB q), and something about my man Parnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Praying for Carson, Stalin and Cuba. The Eucharistic Congress would be handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spottyapples

If I see;
    -Treaty negotiations
    -Apprentice boys of Derry
    -hitlers foreign policy
    -collapse of concensus
    Tomorrow I will be a very very happy (and lucky) bunny tomorrow

Seriously though, I'm lost at what to focus on for America 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

Predictions for Pursuit of Sovereignty and Nation States and International tensions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement