Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! History HL 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Options
  • 17-04-2015 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Does anyone have any predictions on what essays they think might come up for the following:

• Dictatorship and democracy
    • Politics and society in Northern Ireland
    • The United States and the world

- As well as what type of contextualisation questions could come up for the documentary question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

It's going to cause a national outcry if it's not the Treaty Negotiations for the document.. Last year was Belfast, so very unlikely to come up again, while the eucharistic congress was on 2 years ago?? I think.. anyways, I think most Mocks papers had Treaty, so yeah, hopefully it's the Treaty..

As for others, don't know myself, but I'm thinking Hitler and Jews for dictatorship, since I think it's been a while since that came up. I'd also revise Nixon&Reagan together for a question as LBJ has been on for like the past 5 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

How can I cut down on history? History is my 7th subject but I'd still like to get a high B in it, so what topics should I know perfectly to have a chance at this? Thanks!
    Btw: I'm doing Politics and Society in Northern Ireland, Dictatorship and Democracy and USA and the Wider World.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

If you want to cut it down there's not really a way to do it without taking risks. If you look at the patterns you'll see quickly enough what's worth doing in detail and what's not. For example Stalin and race relations come up in some form *almost* every year, from what I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lune

Would anyone be able to tell me a list of the essays I should have prepared for Dictatorship & Democracy, and USA? We're not covering everything and I want to know what is being left out! Thank you

Lune wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me a list of the essays I should have prepared for Dictatorship & Democracy, and USA? We're not covering everything and I want to know what is being left out! Thank you

For U.S.A I'm gonna have the US economy, Moon Landing and Race relations learnt off really well. Dunno what else to even do.

• Advertisement

Kremin wrote: »
    For U.S.A I'm gonna have the US economy, Moon Landing and Race relations learnt off really well. Dunno what else to even do.

I'm struggling to find solid topics from this section too. Definitely learning race relations and I will touch the moon landings but I wouldn't be confident on it appearing. After that I just don't know :(

I'm struggling to find solid topics from this section too. Definitely learning race relations and I will touch the moon landings but I wouldn't be confident on it appearing. After that I just don't know :(

tbf Race Relations or the economy is more than likely gonna come up in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Lune wrote: »

I have:

*Race relations* (MLK/Montgomery bus boycott)
    *Economy* (ups and downs, up to and including Reagan)
    Truman (how he layed the foundation for the cold war, ie. policy of containment, truman doctrine, etc)
    Johnson (Success/failures, though that came up last year so I wouldn't be very optimistic)
    *Nixon/Reagan* (who was more successful)
    McCarthyism/Anti-war movement.
    Some personalities, like Bing Crosby and Chaplin (I personally don't like these types of questions, but its up to you)
    *Korea/Cuba/Berlin*

The starred ones I would say to pay particular attention to. Would recommend doing the little parts too, like Detente and SALT agreements. Economy can come up with consensus (atleast I think it did in the DEB mocks). Moon landings worth looking up too.

Dictatorship:

*Hitler and Jews*
    *How Hitler's foreign policy led to WW2*
    *Hitler's rise to power*
    *How Hitler consolidated power*
    Personalities, like Leni Riefenstahl, Goebbels.
    Hitler and church relations (was up last year, so if you have time, it wouldn't hurt to look it up)
    Technology of Warfare (Blitzkrieg, rockets, etc)

I'll probably take a risk and leave out Stalin, Britain and France. Mussolini not likely to come up on his own, so hopefully a little revision will do fine. If you have time, Maynard Keynes could be a nice topic to revise too.

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    I have:

Truman (how he layed the foundation for the cold war, ie. policy of containment, truman doctrine, etc)
    Johnson (Success/failures, though that came up last year so I wouldn't be very optimistic)
    Some personalities, like Bing Crosby and Chaplin (I personally don't like these types of questions, but its up to you)
    *Korea/Cuba/Berlin*

The starred ones I would say to pay particular attention to. Would recommend doing the little parts too, like Detente and SALT agreements. Economy can come up with consensus (atleast I think it did in the DEB mocks). Moon landings worth looking up too.

Dictatorship:

*Hitler and Jews*
    *Hitler's rise to power*
    Hitler and church relations (was up last year, so if you have time, it wouldn't hurt to look it up)

I'll probably take a risk and leave out Stalin, Britain and France. Mussolini not likely to come up on his own, so hopefully a little revision will do fine. If you have time, Maynard Keynes could be a nice topic to revise too.

You're really going to leave out Stalin? He's pretty much a staple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I think something on American culture could appear, the Jarrow March I'm hoping comes up too. Not sure about the rest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Stalin comes up every year guys! No harm learning off a few paragraphs on Lenin aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishmag

Hi guys,
    what are your predictions regarding the essays in History HL LC 2015? Topics: Dictatorship & Democracy, Politics and Society in Northern Ireland, The United States and the World?

I'm not asking about the documents question because its so narrow and so unpredictable that there is no point gambling in that section.

So.... any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ColmL18

Any predictions for HL History? I'm doing my own predictions out now based on the past papers and wanted someone to compare mine with.

irishmag wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    what are your predictions regarding the essays in History HL LC 2015? Topics: Dictatorship & Democracy, Politics and Society in Northern Ireland, The United States and the World?

I'm not asking about the documents question because its so narrow and so unpredictable that there is no point gambling in that section.

So.... any thoughts?

Stalin in some form. Hitler's rise to facism/Germany in the inter-war years or similar. Race relations, probably a specific bus boycott question and I'm thinking a question about the presidency - Roosevelt to Reagan.

I'm not doing the NI section though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

Just wondering as I'm having trouble figuring out what to glance over and what to know in depth. So far I've studied Stalin's policies and characteristics of his state, Mussolini's policies, Hitlers external policies, Propaganda for the three dicators, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and I have glanced over a few others.

So what do you think we should have learned minimum for all 3 topics? I thought I would be okay but then I realised if coleraine or the welfare state don't come up I'm pretty screwed, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Charliek96

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the essay topics might be for the Nation states and International tensions, Dictatorship and Democracy and the Political and social movement sections?? I am totally screwed and left all my study to the last 28 days like a dope! Hoping someone could help me condense my workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So what do you think we should have learned minimum for all 3 topics? I thought I would be okay but then I realised if coleraine or the welfare state don't come up I'm pretty screwed, lol.

Some of the questions are quite open and can incorporate a lot of the topics in the course. So, when you see the exam paper, make sure to read the questions carefully to spot this.

Questions asking about 'society and the economy' means you can effectively talk about anything you like, within the time frame given. Coleraine can be included here.

I'm not sure anyone should recommend what you should focus on, because it's difficult to predict with any certainty! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

With all subjects there's always this weird thing with students were they think that because something has come up for so many years in a row, it won't come up this year! Sure wouldn't students in past years have said that and they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

irishmag wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So.... any thoughts?

Northern Ireland, Coleraine, Civil Rights Movement and Welfare State.

Dictatorship and Democracy, Stalin (he has been up every year in some shape or form except for last year) and probably something to do with inter war years in Germany, Hitler's rise to power or maybe use of Propaganda to consolidate power.

Not sure for USA topic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

The treaty negotiations should come up for the document question remember everyone last year was was sure it was going to come up but instead it was the Belfast blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HDorrian1967

The fortieth anniversary of the Americans pulling out of Vietnam was only a few weeks ago, so it might come up.
    The American economy.

Hitler - economy; propaganda
    Stalin - success of his policies i.e. collectivisation, internal, external
    Comparison of Britain & France between the wars.

1885/6 elections

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flankerdo

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    I have:

*Korea/Cuba/Berlin*

Dictatorship:

*Hitler and Jews*
    *Hitler's rise to power*

Do you have an essay on Reagan/Nixon you would be willing to share or even a structure/plan for one ?

the treaty has to come up in history for the document question it would be a crime if it doesn't

the treaty has to come up in history for the document question it would be a crime if it doesn't

just for that logic they might throw on the eucharist congress or even worse the belfast blitz just to catch people out.
    To be safe you have to learn all 3, and to be fair there isnt even a lot in all of them

just for that logic they might throw on the eucharist congress or even worse the belfast blitz just to catch people out.
    To be safe you have to learn all 3, and to be fair there isnt even a lot in all of them

Considering there is only three I will have them all learned but I don't think the idea of the exams is to catch people out, it's to test the material.

Considering there is only three I will have them all learned but I don't think the idea of the exams is to catch people out, it's to test the material.

Yeah and you're supposed to know all of the material, and if people are skipping certain topics because theyre SURE that X will come up, the examiners might just put Y on it to reward the people who learnt it.
    Same happened last year in history my teacher said, everyone was saying that the treaty HAD to come up, and then the belfast bombing did.
    The examiners are always trying to throw people off to avoid rote learning etc.

i did history last year and belfast came up everyone was sure it was sure it was going to be the treaty lot of disappointed people that day :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lol, no, it doesn't HAVE TO come up; and if it doesn't the Guards won't be making any arrests! :p:D

CYA, folks, and don't rely too much on predictions. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Bourke97

Im doing dictatorship and democracy and I think Stalin in some form, hitler and also maybe the use of propaganda by all dictators! For USA I'm kinda stuck, I think something with foreign policy will definitely come up! Does anyone think that maybe Martin Luther king might come up as a specific question? Maybe the effectiveness of his leadership During the civil rights movement? For movement for reform, I think parnells leadership with home rule and his contributions to land maybe? Or land on its own because has never come up! Michael davitt may be a possibility also and a question on the 2 main British parties, the liberals and the conservatives and what they did for/against home rule? For document I think the treaty as Belfast came up last year and the Eucharistic congress is very wishy washy! Please let me know your predictions on MLK? He may be a possibility as he hasn't come up on the HL paper since 2011 :) also if he came up on HL mock paper? My school doesn't do mocks so I don't what came up on it? Please let me on MLK anyway? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement