Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! History HL 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

KA97 wrote: »
    If a question asks you to write about one or more of the following, then if you only answer it on one of them will you lose marks? I'm just wondering because everyone says to answer on at least 2 if the question is asked in this way, but if you did a really got essay on only one of the topics mentioned what would happen ?

No you won't, it's just advised to do two because it lengthens your essay and you may not have to go into as much detail as you would on a single topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

KA97 wrote: »
    If a question asks you to write about one or more of the following, then if you only answer it on one of them will you lose marks? I'm just wondering because everyone says to answer on at least 2 if the question is asked in this way, but if you did a really got essay on only one of the topics mentioned what would happen ?

If it tells you to answer on "one or more" it's ok to answer on one. However, you're better off answering on the two it gives you more to talk about. The more paragraphs you have the better. Even if you have 12 paragraphs on Hitler and 2 on Stalin you won't get marked negatively. You're marked on what you include not what you don't include, or that's what our teacher tell us anyway.

If it says to answer on both will then you have to answer on both :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Patches96

What're your thoughts on the likelihood of the following appearing on the paper? My teacher has us drilled on these and has the theory that the year before the history course is changed, they tend to put an essay on based around the topics that will be appearing on next years DBQ question.

Dictatorship and Democracy - Jarrow Crusades, Propaganda (Nuremburg Rallies and/or Leni Riefenstahl,

Northern Ireland - Apprentice Boys, John Hume (bio), Coleraine

America - Racial Conflict (Montgomery Bus Boycott and/or MLK), US Economy - Boom and Bust, and then a possible essay on the presidency the whole way from Roosevelt to Reagan.

What do ye think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepbaiii

Do you think I'd be covered with this list?

America:
    US Foreign Policy (inc cold war, vietnam, detente)
    Race Relations (inc Montgomery bus boycott)

Dictatorships and Democracy:
    Stalin internal policy (economy and show trials)
    Few paragraphs on Lenin
    General essay on Mussolini
    Hitler Foreign Policy
    Propaganda essay
    Hitler rise to power

Northern Ireland:
    Brookeborough and welfare state
    O'neill and coleraine
    Sunningdale Agreement (small bit on ABOD)
    Maybe an essay on the Civil Rights Movement?

Literally have the worst teacher in the world and just have sample essays from grinds ready to go...almost!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Stlain, Johnson or Vietnam will all come up cause in the book they are the two most detailed, not enough info on reagan. I wouldn't listen to the majority in this, Ian Paisley will come up as he died as will Coleraine and apprentice boys no more no less four pages each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Patches96

I'd agree with you on the majority of them, with the exceptions of Sunningdale, and the Northern Ireland Rights Movement. I don't fancy them coming up. I'd recommend you look into the US Economy, Presidencies, and possibly MLK too :)

Patches96 wrote: »
    I'd agree with you on the majority of them, with the exceptions of Sunningdale, and the Northern Ireland Rights Movement. I don't fancy them coming up. I'd recommend you look into the US Economy, Presidencies, and possibly MLK too :)

US Economy isn't going to happen at this stage tbh, too many figures to learn in two days! I'll read over the presidencies and MLK, but it would basically be a similar question just a different slant yeah? Like MLK would be looking at Civil Rights through his eyes etc, and presidencies would be Truman (cold war), Kennedy, Johnson?

I am actually panicking like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

Patches96 wrote: »
    What're your thoughts on the likelihood of the following appearing on the paper? My teacher has us drilled on these and has the theory that the year before the history course is changed, they tend to put an essay on based around the topics that will be appearing on next years DBQ question.

Dictatorship and Democracy - Jarrow Crusades, Propaganda (Nuremburg Rallies and/or Leni Riefenstahl,

Northern Ireland - Apprentice Boys, John Hume (bio), Coleraine

America - Racial Conflict (Montgomery Bus Boycott and/or MLK), US Economy - Boom and Bust, and then a possible essay on the presidency the whole way from Roosevelt to Reagan.

What do ye think? :)

My teacher gave me a handout out on the presidents from Roosevelt to Reagan too and I've heard it mention it a few time of being a possible question
    And for D+d I'd say your covered

Shanmcg97 wrote: »
    My teacher gave me a handout out on the presidents from Roosevelt to Reagan too and I've heard it mention it a few time of being a possible question
    And for D+d I'd say your covered

How would you write that essay? Like a paragraph on each president?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

sheepbaiii wrote: »
    How would you write that essay? Like a paragraph on each president?

Yeah pretty much the pars on each one are short enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bombinator

Few Points:

1.Avoid writing an essay on all the US Presidents - it came up once when then course changed in 2006 and was the worst answered question that year. Do not attempt it
    2. Your teacher must be clueless if he thinks that question is worth preparing for - its far too general and difficult to assess throughout
    3. Study the civil right movement in its entirety and avoid focusing on MLK - MLK is worth 2 paragraphs only on any essay on civil rights
    4. Economy came up last year, so I would focus on all three aspects of US foreign policy: Cold War / Vietnam / Detente
    5. If anyone is struggling on any topic the basic rule is to study the three case studies and the context / issues around each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

What moves were made towards finding a peaceful resolution of the
    “Troubles”, 1973-1993?

what would you talk about for this essay?#

Also: Would anyone happen to know of any sample essays/notes on american foreign policy online? The book has everything in such weird formats and I'm really confused about what I need to include and what not to include.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

What's peoples opinion on the possibility of technology of warfare appearing.??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bryanbryan2

Technological warfare - no way any body could write an essay on that topic: don't waste your time: even if it comes up can you write a full essay on that topic? very difficult unless you have a passion for warfare, IT, space equipment etc.

Kremin - surly your teacher has outlined sample essays on US foreign policy, be it cold war, Vietnam or detente.

Technological warfare - no way any body could write an essay on that topic: don't waste your time: even if it comes up can you write a full essay on that topic? very difficult unless you have a passion for warfare, IT, space equipment etc.

Kremin - surly your teacher has outlined sample essays on US foreign policy, be it cold war, Vietnam or detente.

Thank you appreciate it- I havnt done any Stalin study over the last two years- never liked it and have never done an essay on it, so apart from stalin what else would you recommend doing in detail for dictatorship and democracy.??

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Ok for Dictatorship and Democracy with Germany I have-

Foreign Policy 1933-39,
    Anti Semetism and Holocaust
    Weimer Republic and how it led to outbreak of war
    Propaganda (Leni, Goebbels and Rallies)
    Church State with Musso

Am I missing anything?? Im hoping for a nice Q on Germany because its bae and my
    American topic is diabolical :P

Ok for Dictatorship and Democracy with Germany I have-

Foreign Policy 1933-39,
    Anti Semetism and Holocaust
    Weimer Republic and how it led to outbreak of war
    Propaganda (Leni, Goebbels and Rallies)
    Church State with Musso

Am I missing anything?? Im hoping for a nice Q on Germany because its bae and my
    American topic is diabolical :P

Im the very same- Ive only done all German topics for D AND D

Hey everyone I need to know what is enough to cover to be considered covered for the above courses- bearing in mind ive done about everything in minor detail and any suggestions will be known in extreme detail.

Important point.
    FOr D&D ive not done any Stalin and won't do any- I hated it and have never studied it- don't go crazy at the end of the day it's only one question out of four.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

Im the very same- Ive only done all German topics for D AND D

with all due respect you only get out what you put in. your teacher has probably bent over backwards to help and teach you and then you ignore 70 % of the course!!!!

no sympathy for anyone who ignores course topics out of laziness and then starts claiming about being under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

cmickdaly wrote: »
    with all due respect you only get out what you put in. your teacher has probably bent over backwards to help and teach you and then you ignore 70 % of the course!!!!

no sympathy for anyone who ignores course topics out of laziness and then starts claiming about being under pressure

I'm also studying Russia (Stalin/Lenin and a bit of Italy to tie in with Germany as regards questions like church relations) but with all due respect back I don't think its fair for you to come onto a Leaving Cert topic for help, predictions and discussions to criticise what a student is studying as the old saying goes 'If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all'

• Advertisement

cmickdaly wrote: »

I never said I was under pressure you ****ing twat- it's a stressful time of year for everyone involved here and you come along with this ****- if you don't have anything positive to say- say nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spottyapples

I never said I was under pressure you ****ing twat- it's a stressful time of year for everyone involved here and you come along with this ****- if you don't have anything positive to say- say nothing at all.

Thank you!! I've been waiting for someone to f this guy out of it 🙌👏

It just amazes me that someone comes along with something like that- I mean what do you strive to achieve with it.

Now I've revised my topics and am now studying the following.
    1)rise of nazi Party.
    2)nazi state.
    3)nazi foreign policy.
    4) economic and social problems In British and Germany in interwar period.
    5) anti Semitism and holocaust-

I'd imagine I'm Fairly well covered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The first and most basic rule of Boards is "be civil" ... I know people are stressed at this time of year, but that type of response is never acceptable, Welllmade. I suspect tbh that some of the anger is because you know he's not totally wrong? ;)

Mick, I suspect you're a teacher, and I can understand your frustration.

This isn't your classroom, however, so please don't preach at them! ;)

That said, I've also noticed some good advice and helpful comments earlier, that's not being ignored.

The first and most basic rule of Boards is "be civil" ... I know people are stressed at this time of year, but that type of response is never acceptable, Welllmade. I suspect tbh that some of the anger is because you know he's not totally wrong? ;)

Mick, I suspect you're a teacher, and I can understand your frustration.

This isn't your classroom, however, so please don't preach at them! ;)

That said, I've also noticed some good advice and helpful comments earlier, that's not being ignored.
    If I was infracted for causing unnecessary stress to other forum members surely mick should be also.?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If I was infracted for causing unnecessary stress to other forum members surely mick should be also.?
    You were infracted for being uncivil / abusive. "You ****ing twat" is never going to be acceptable, and if you read the message with the infraction, you would have seen that.

Here's another Boards-wide rule for you, seeing that you obviously never read the guidelines, despite attesting that you had when you signed up: arguing moderator decisions on thread is also a no-no, and I've already responded to your PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

That's not true i wrote a 5 page one for the mocks and i certainly have no passion for it. I realised it's extremely likely this year so i got most of my material off the internet as the book didn't have enough. You can link in most battles of ww2 especially the battle of britain and the war at sea so i don't see how you wouldn't have enough material

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lexijade

fin709 wrote: »
    That's not true i wrote a 5 page one for the mocks and i certainly have no passion for it. I realised it's extremely likely this year so i got most of my material off the internet as the book didn't have enough. You can link in most battles of ww2 especially the battle of britain and the war at sea so i don't see how you wouldn't have enough material

What grade did u get? Just wondering as im considering doing technology

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

lexijade wrote: »
    What grade did u get? Just wondering as im considering doing technology

88% Most of the last few paragraphs didn't make coherent sense because i was in such a rush so the OE was dropped significantly, got 58/60 for cumulative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

anybody got notes on ireland 1945-1989 ? so hard to find any online it must not be a popular topic :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement